Favorite Triangle Grocery Store

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Triangle grocery store?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Triangle grocery store?

• Earth Fare
    • Food Lion
    • Harris Teeter
    • Kroger
    • Lowe's Foods
    • Super Kmart
    • Super Target
    • Wellspring/Whole Foods
    • Winn-Dixie
    • Wal-Mart Supercenter
    • Other/Locally-owned

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me crazy, but I voted for Food Lion. It's not like they're the best there is, but they get 100% of my business because they're closest to where I live and at a bus stop on my way home from school (well, work now). I've only been to Lowe's/Kroger a couple of times since they only have locations waaay out in the starter home fields of Cary and North Raleigh. I didn't find them to be better stores, just more "fashionable".

I also like Food Lion's selection of generic breakfast cereals. They blow HT out of the water in that department, and they're about the same as Ingles in the western half of the state. I also hear that super Wal-Mart has a great selection of generics, but once again there's no way I'm going to catch a cab or ride my bike 12 miles to Brier Creek just for the privilege of going to a ***ing Wal-Mart.

I figured since Charlotte had one of these, the Triangle should too. It'd be interesting to see...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like the Fresh Market as far as specialty grocers go. Otherwise, I would think Food Lion because it's pretty basic. One can easily get in an out, and usually there are no lines as the cash registers are well manned.

I really like the Fresh Market as far as specialty grocers go.  Otherwise, I would think Food Lion because it's pretty basic.  One can easily get in an out, and usually there are no lines as the cash registers are well manned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot Raleigh had Fresh Market!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Harris Teeter shopper, myself. Since I grew up with my family shopping there (since they employ my Dad, it's kind of a no-brainer) I've gotten used to the niceties of shopping there, as well as the (admittedly) higher prices.

Of course, it also helps that I can walk out of my apartment, go down to the street, and actually see the side of the Cameron Village HT. Proximity helps. :)

No more Winn-Dixie in NC! Wow they r actually pulling out of the state...kinda sad actually...and yet Piggly Wiggly survives...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love Piggly Wiggly!

I also miss Big Star. Small, not-at-all-fancy grocerers that had a real neighborhood feel.

Can't bear to shop at the supercenters, but have to admit that Target has great prices on some groceries.

I like Whole Foods, but who can afford to shop there for the every day stuff?

Food Lion has a bad rap, but we shop there most often since it's closest to the house and has the best prices.

I think Walmart did in W/D. It's gotta be hard to compete on price vs Walmart. That's probably why the higher-end grocers (HT, Publix, Lowes) are still in business.

There is a Winn Dixie under contruction in a strip center on Davis Drive in Morrisville. What's gonna go in there now? Any idea?

Harris Teeter is one of my favorite supermarkets. They did have stores in the Greenville-Spartanburg, SC area a few yars ago before pulling out in 2001. It would have been great if they concentrated more to deal with Bi-Lo, Ingle's, and Publix.

I have not been inside a Lowe's Foods yet, but I hope that will happen soon. I did not have time to stop at one up in Greensboro a few months ago so I could get one of their Greenpoints cards. Do they have any stores close to 85?

BobbyS, I assume Winn Dixie may sell that future store to a local chain eitehr as an additional store or as a replacement. It depends if the location is suitable. Winn Dixie has a disappointing history of bad store locations.

Reading those postings sure brings back old memories. We had a Big Star in my tiny hometown of Ahoskie, NC and growing up I remember thinking how clean and big that store was. The isles were wide and very bright and the shelves well stocked. It seems to me that store went out of business when I was in my teens or so. Does anyone know if Big Star was headquartered in NC?

And speaking of Lowes Foods we have one of those in my hometown as well. It used to be called Byrd's but was bought out a few years ago I believe. Are Lowes Food stores in larger areas more of a high end type store? The one back home is pretty much a run of the mill market.

My mom worked at a Big Star by Northgate Mall in Durham ions ago. It became a Harris teeter back in the '80's and the harris teeter recently closed (within the last week or so).

Some Lowes Foods r upscale. The ones they acquired from Hannafords and the brand new ones tend to be. The stores they acquired from Byrds tend to be in smaller markets or less affluent areas and those stores tend to be older, more Food Lionish. The Lowes Foods in Hillsborough and Mebane are from the Byrds era and are not upscale or large at all. I believe that Lowes Foods is gradually renovating, closing, or moving the Byrds era stores to get them in line with their upscale image. But a few holdovers remain...

Wow I didn't realize that the Harris Teeter store at Northgate closed.. could Eastland be next?

Yeah and as NC Mike said, some Lowes Foods are more upscale than others...

edit: i found this on HT's site

Harris Teeter is closing its Northgate Mall store

After careful consideration and strategic market review, Harris Teeter is closing its Northgate Mall store at 1720 Guess Rd in Durham, NC on or before June 28, 2005.

Harris Teeter is dedicated to hiring, training and retaining associates with a clear commitment to excellence in customer service.  To that end, all 39 associates at this store have been offered a position within the Harris Teeter family.

Harris Teeter has two stores located within four miles of the Northgate Mall location, Willowdaile located at 3823 Guess Rd and the Commons at University Place located at 1817 Martin Luther King Jr. Pkwy which is expected to complete a major remodel by the end of summer.  Harris Teeter is also scheduled to open a new 48,000 square foot store in the old Willowdaile Cinemas location in mid June of 2006. We would like to encourage customers to shop these stores for a variety of top-quality products and the superb customer service they have come to expect from Harris Teeter.

Reading those postings sure brings back old memories. We had a Big Star in my tiny hometown of Ahoskie, NC and growing up I remember thinking how clean and big that store was. The isles were wide and very bright and the shelves well stocked. It seems to me that store went out of business when I was in my teens or so. Does anyone know if Big Star was headquartered in NC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big Star was bought out by Harris Teeter. I found this history on Google. Looks like the Big Star chain had significant NC ties:

http://www.groceteria.net/colonial/colonial2.html

Was Harris Teeter in the triangle before the Big Star acquisition? Now I'm wondering which H.T.'s in Durham were Big Star's. Most of them have probably been shut down or moved to larger locations anyway. The one in Willowdaile, further up Guess Road, the one they r moving has been there forever so I'm thinking it was a Big Star. I always thought the H.T. at Northgate was tiny compared to their other stores.

On a side note I was thinking about taking some pictures around Northgate sometime....Sears kind of fasinates me b/c it appears so incredibly outdated compared to the other Sears we have around here. Well the inside is modern enough, but the outside is off white with brown trim. With every mall renovation Northgate did over the years I always expected Sears to redo their building on the outside. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon though, if any1 goes next it will be Hechts...especially if it becomes Macy's (I doubt area demographics r up to Macy's standards, especially considering there would also be 1 at "THE" mall in Durham)...But who knows, maybe the Southpointe lookalike remodle will work. I wonder what will fill the Harris Teeter slot...?

I could see Hecht's after becoming Macy's high-tailing it out of Northgate leaving Sears as the only anchor, and the former Hecht's spot being filled with something like Burlington (a la Eastland).

As for the HT, to add insult to injury, the next closest grocer is the sole Winn Dixie store in Durham, which of course is slated to close soon too.

there's the Kroger at Northpointe too....wedged in between Guess Road and Broad St...those Harris Teeter ppl will probably switch over to there....god think of the plaza where Winn Dixie is....first it lost K-Mart, now Winn Dixie...leaving it with the Big Lots that took over the old Winn Dixie space....and a 2nd run movie theater. Any1 else remember when Phar-mor was where Winn Dixie is now? Who knows what they r going to do with that shopping center....

On a side note I was thinking about taking some pictures around Northgate sometime....Sears kind of fasinates me b/c it appears so incredibly outdated compared to the other Sears we have around here. Well the inside is modern enough, but the outside is off white with brown trim. With every mall renovation Northgate did over the years I always expected Sears to redo their building on the outside. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon though, if any1 goes next it will be Hechts...especially if it becomes Macy's (I doubt area demographics r up to Macy's standards, especially considering there would also be 1 at "THE" mall in Durham)...But who knows, maybe the Southpointe lookalike remodle will work. I wonder what will fill the Harris Teeter slot...?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Y'know, a lot of the old Sears stores like Northgate were quite ugly...but that's part of their charm (for me anyway). Hold on kiddies, tangent time! :)

With Sears, JCPenney and Montgomery Ward, each chain was trying to keep up with the other two and yet be distinct from each other and the competing upscale and discount department stores. That fostered a very creative period in those chains' architectural history. An old JCPenney, Sears or Montgomery Ward store from the '60 and '70s seems to have a personality that's not apparent in later prototypes of those chains. And if you know stores, you can pick out which chain was which even without signs. That's almost impossible these days unless its a huge chain with a rigid prototype. What was wrought was not always pretty but it was identifiable.

Okay, back to the thread topic. I didn't know HT at Northgate closed either, but I figure they'll get some kind of clothing off-pricer like T.J. Maxx or a bookstore to take its place. A Books-A-Million or Borders would be nice.

Still, one of these days it would be nice to see a grocery store replaced with...a grocery store! Imagine that!

I don't know if anyone saw the business journal article but this was in it..

Interesting to note the Triangle's share (i believe it's the share as a whole, not just Raleigh) on grocery stores. (I also wonder where SuperTarget comes into this)

Food Lion dominated the local market in February with a share of 31.1 percent and 57 stores, followed by Wal-Mart Supercenter with 17.7 percent and six stores; Harris Teeter with 15.4 percent and 15 stores; Lowes Foods with 10.8 percent and 16 stores; and Kroger with 10.6 percent and 11 stores.

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/s.../27/story7.html

• 9 months later...

FIRST

Harris Teeter has opened in Northridge S/C (former Winn Dixie) virtually across the street from the older Harris Teeter in Sutton Square. (both plan to stay open)

http://www.newsobserver.com/974/story/430863.html

AND

The News & Observer has printed a good article about the current state of area grocers and where the Triangle is headed.

http://www.newsobserver.com/666/story/431090.html

HELLO, GOODBYE

* Earth Fare, an Asheville chain, opened two Triangle stores last summer in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

* Winn Dixie pulled out of the state last fall, closed 11 stores.

WHAT'S NEXT

* Warehouse chain Costco is building a Raleigh store.

* Trader Joe's is planning a Cary store, its first in the state.

* Lowes Foods plans a Raleigh store near the intersection of U.S. 401 and Forrestville Road that could open in 2007.

* Wal-Mart has stores in the works in Southeast Raleigh and Morrisville.

* Harris Teeter has a store under construction in south Raleigh, near the intersection of U.S. 401 and Ten-Ten Road.

(The Companies, Staff Reports)

harris teeter has always been a favorite for me, but now that I have moved from Peace Street to somewhere between Whitaker Mill and Anderson, I hit the Kroger at Six Forks and Wake Forest. They have actually spruced the place up a lot in the past year, so I don't really mind the change. Plus, it is a hell of a lot quicker to get in and out of than the Cameron Village HT. That place is a zoo, 24/7. I always felt like I needed to be freshly showered and primped to go in there.

Archived