Favorite Triangle Grocery Store

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Triangle grocery store?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Triangle grocery store?

• Earth Fare
    • Food Lion
    • Harris Teeter
    • Kroger
    • Lowe's Foods
    • Super Kmart
    • Super Target
    • Wellspring/Whole Foods
    • Winn-Dixie
    • Wal-Mart Supercenter
    • Other/Locally-owned

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding to the list Harris Teeter is also planning a store at the opposite side of Forestville Rd. and Louisburg Road U.S. 401 in North Raleigh across from the planned Lowes Food. That area inbetween Raleigh/Wake Forest/Rolesville appears to be booming.

Isn't this just down the road from the controversial Lakes of Rolesville subdivision that could negatively impact the Little River watershed?

I shop at the Cameron Village HT. Old habits die hard, and I used to be able to walk there from my old house on Chamberlain. The MLK Blvd. Kroger is closer, but for some reason it is always understaffed and depressing. In my three or four trips there, only one or two registers are open, including the customer service desk. The magazine rack is full of car and gun/knife/martial arts magazines, with little to no technology or current events. That may be a response to the customer base, but is never a good sign. Also, the dairy case seems to have milk closer to the expiration date than HT does, but that may be a symptom of the Kroger chain.

Since they are understaffed, either due to no one wanting to work there or not enough sales to justify more help, the people that do work there are not helpful and have one eye on the clock at all times. Being the rare non-African-American customer probably does not help matters. The Winn-Dixie on New Bern closed, so traffic may have picked up there, but it is still kinda out of the way.

Most people in that area go down Rock Quarry to the Food Lion at Crosslink or the Food Lion on Poole near 440. The Rock Quarry store is older (early/mid 80s) but was the first store of its size in Southeast Raleigh, so there may be some loyalty there too.

I want to shop at the new market going into Seaboard Station, but I probably won't be able to afford it.

Isn't this just down the road from the controversial Lakes of Rolesville subdivision that could negatively impact the Little River watershed?

I believe that it is just down the road from there. However, the topographically of the land and lines are different in the Lakes of Rolesville Situation. And Centex Homes is building there largest triangle community near the intersection of Ligon Mill and 401 and there were no water issues stated with that project. So I guess run off is the issue with the lakes proposal.

I voted for "Other/Locally-owned".

The best grocery in the Triangle, (and North Carolina) for Asian food is The Grand Asia Market. It's nicely renovated to be more mainstream now, and I highly recommend checking it out for fresh food and authentic chinese foods & the bakery!

In fact, it's a big reason I held off moving back to Charlotte where such grocery stores are non existent.

The MLK Blvd. Kroger is closer, but for some reason it is always understaffed and depressing. In my three or four trips there, only one or two registers are open, including the customer service desk. The magazine rack is full of car and gun/knife/martial arts magazines, with little to no technology or current events. That may be a response to the customer base, but is never a good sign. Also, the dairy case seems to have milk closer to the expiration date than HT does, but that may be a symptom of the Kroger chain.

Since they are understaffed, either due to no one wanting to work there or not enough sales to justify more help, the people that do work there are not helpful and have one eye on the clock at all times. Being the rare non-African-American customer probably does not help matters.

That's kinda sad about the MLK Blvd. Kroger

I voted for "Other/Locally-owned".

The best grocery in the Triangle, (and North Carolina) for Asian food is The Grand Asia Market. It's nicely renovated to be more mainstream now, and I highly recommend checking it out for fresh food and authentic chinese foods & the bakery!

Where is this located?

I voted for Food Lion because for as long as I can remember no matter where I've lived across the state it was the closest.

I will give my hats off to Lowes' Food though. They really have their act together. I also love their customer service. It's the only grocery store chain I know of that still asks whether you want "paper or plastic?" and if you need any help getting your groceries out to your car.

By the way, now that Winn-Dixie is shutting down across the state does anyone know what they're planning to do with the Winn-Dixie Marketplace in Wake Forest? I heard something that Wakefield wanted to use the building for 6th and 7th grade but I've never been able to confirm that.

I've been shopping at the Kroger in Cary at High House recently (their alcohol prices seem suprisingly cheap ;)), although tomorrow I'm moving to Raleigh, and I think the closest grocery store will be the Harris Teeter at North Hills, I'll have to explore the area more once I get settled in.

The Kroger is on Six Forks north/west of Wake Forest, behind the Burger King and Mexican consulate building (only one between Atlanta and DC!). There was a Hannafords, which became a Lowes Foods, across Wake Forest, but it closed years ago. There is a Food Lion up Wake Forest a mile or two behind the Bojangles and Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins.

Not exactly a grocery store, but Costco is building a location on the southeast corner of Wake Forest and Six Forks, across Wake Forest from the Mc Donalds/Borders. It will probably open around early fall-ish.

Not all Krogers are alike. The older ones like Creedmoor Rd. in Raleigh and Strickland are out of date and the layout is haphazard. But the new ones, like The New Falls of Neuse (Wakefield) and Raleigh Blvd. off new bern remind me a lot of Harris Teeter. Word on the Street is that Kroger is supposed to renovate a couple of their Triangle Stores in short order.

Not all Krogers are alike. The older ones like Creedmoor Rd. in Raleigh and Strickland are out of date and the layout is haphazard. But the new ones, like The New Falls of Neuse (Wakefield) and Raleigh Blvd. off new bern remind me a lot of Harris Teeter. Word on the Street is that Kroger is supposed to renovate a couple of their Triangle Stores in short order.

yeah hopefully soon all the Kroger stores will be up to par with the newer ones.

Archived