Hillsborough Development

DCMetroRaleigh

The Orange County commissioners talked for over three hours Tuesday about a 2.3 million-square-foot commercial development near Hillsborough but postponed a decision to Oct. 20.

Research Triangle Logistics Park, slated for the southeastern corner of Old N.C. 86 and Interstate 40, would have twice the square footage of The Streets at Southpoint mall and shopping center. 

The commissioners are being asked to approve a master plan and conditional zoning for the project, which the developer said could attract warehouse, light industry and research companies.

• Thanks 1

Outside of Hillsborough in Efland in right off I-85/40 Texas based Bucee's may build a gas station.  In true Texas style this is no ordinary gas station.  It is 40,000 sq with usually 100 plus gas pumps no large trucks allowed.  They are legendary in Texas and now in Alabama, coming soon to Florida, Georgia, SC, and Tennessee.  This would be the first location in NC and as a past customer of Bucee's you will make it your stop for gas, food, coffee, and other things.  Their bathrooms are the cleanest in the US according to some studies of roadside bathrooms.

https://abc13.com/buc-ees-north-carolina-texas-travel-stop-clean-bathrooms-beaver-nuggets/6418986/

from an Atlanta based story where I read about this location

https://www.tonetoatl.com/2020/10/Buc-ees-Opening-In-November-In-Macon-Warner-Robins.html

It is a size of a truck stop but only for cars and pickup trucks.  

https://buc-ees.com/

I stop at everyone I see when I am in Texas and I will be there shortly and take some photos for you to see its massive size. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

How does it compare to Sheetz?  The Sheetz in Hillsborough is pretty nice.

about 8 times bigger in size  here is a video of their Katy store and I have been there.  only a few have car washes like this one.  But look at the gas pumps and the size of the store is size of a Food Lion. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Outside of Hillsborough in Efland in right off I-85/40 Texas based Bucee's may build a gas station.  In true Texas style this is no ordinary gas station.  It is 40,000 sq with usually 100 plus gas pumps no large trucks allowed.  They are legendary in Texas and now in Alabama, coming soon to Florida, Georgia, SC, and Tennessee.  This would be the first location in NC and as a past customer of Bucee's you will make it your stop for gas, food, coffee, and other things.  Their bathrooms are the cleanest in the US according to some studies of roadside bathrooms.

https://abc13.com/buc-ees-north-carolina-texas-travel-stop-clean-bathrooms-beaver-nuggets/6418986/

from an Atlanta based story where I read about this location

https://www.tonetoatl.com/2020/10/Buc-ees-Opening-In-November-In-Macon-Warner-Robins.html

It is a size of a truck stop but only for cars and pickup trucks.  

https://buc-ees.com/

I stop at everyone I see when I am in Texas and I will be there shortly and take some photos for you to see its massive size. 

Not going to lie, I'm pretty excited about this.  I went to Bucee's when I was in Austin last month and was amazed.  Actually terrified and amazed lol.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Not going to lie, I'm pretty excited about this.  I went to Bucee's when I was in Austin last month and was amazed.  Actually terrified and amazed lol.  

one needs to come to lets say Lexington to get the Charlotte to Triad to Triangle traffic.  People plan their stops on road trips with Bucees.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

someone has posted a video of its location in Efland in western Orange County.  It is huge convenience store the largest of any in terms of size for average store.  Sells all kinds of food, merchandise, etc.   There is nothing to compare it with in NC size of the truck stop but only for cars and light trucks.  I will take some photos when I am in Texas this month. 

My kids have all day soccer tournaments in Efland, and there's nowhere to go for lunch between the games.  This should be good.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My kids have all day soccer tournaments in Efland, and there's nowhere to go for lunch between the games.  This should be good.

they will love it and depending on their age want a Bucee Beaver keychain or shirt.  I saw the soccer complex nearby there. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The soccer complex is very nice.  At the moment, we have to drive to Mebane for lunch.  It will be nice to have something in Efland.

the entire soccer team can use the restrooms at once that how many stalls they have with lights to tell you if they are vacant or ocupado.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

extensive traffic analysis posted by Orange County.   I dont believe there will be any more traffic on 85/40 but of course lots of people going off both exits there.   You can see from the site plan how big the Bucees travel center is and there will be surrounding development as well.

https://www.orangecountync.gov/DocumentCenter/View/12680/BEAVER-CROSSING-MPD-CZ---TRAFFIC-IMPACT-ANALYSIS-PHASE-2---August-7-2020?bidId=

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/09/10/beaver-nuggets-in-north-carolina-this-is-where-iconic-texas-chain-buc-ees-says-its-hoping-to-go-next/   and Beaver nuggets are good.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes here is the article about Bucees with an opening date of 2023 in Efland  so alas for now I will just go to Texas and the other locations in the southeast until this one opens.

NC you have not see anything yet!  It is hard to describe to people how massive these Bucee's are.   But get ready Orange County the Beaver is coming to you!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/11/06/cool-business-on-team-gaming.html

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a website for Efland Station off I-85/40 west of Hillsborough that will feature Bucee's.  Everything they mention and say about Bucee's is true believe me.

eflandstation.com – specialty retail • Dining • Hotel • Medical Office

I suspect that they’ll build several in NC on I-85 and maybe on 77.  The closest to Charlotte may be a little south of Salisbury.

• Like 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I suspect that they’ll build several in NC on I-85 and maybe on 77.  The closest to Charlotte may be a little south of Salisbury.

Yes I hope they build more in NC and they will eventually.  the traffic count at this location is 125.000 cars a day which is very high and even higher than some of their interstate locations in TX. 

Keep me posted if you see any articles as I think they will be voting soon I know they just had the public hearing up there. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes I hope they build more in NC and they will eventually.  the traffic count at this location is 125.000 cars a day which is very high and even higher than some of their interstate locations in TX. 

Keep me posted if you see any articles as I think they will be voting soon I know they just had the public hearing up there. 

I’ll bet that they plan a big investment in N.C.  I-40, 85, and 77 are all very important interstate routes.  I suspect that this will be something like Wegman’s or Publix in that they start small with big plans for the future.

P.S.: From Wikipedia:

76CD6530-74D6-4EE1-AF4D-9CDC1322B281.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

well Orange County NIMBYs types cancelled Bucees.  Sad for them but they are anti development.  

From Triangle Biz Journal

""BYE TO BUC-EE'S: A controversial project in Orange County has been dropped.

Buc-ee's, a Texas travel center chain, had planned a 104-acre Efland Station along Interstate 40 at Exit 161. But those plans drew heavy criticism in Orange County, with residents raising environmental concerns and county commissioners requesting new conditions for the development.

On Friday morning, the company said it would take its marbles elsewhere.

Stan Beard, director of real estate for Buc-ee’s, said, “Unfortunately, Orange County Commissioners were not receptive to 200 jobs with starting pay of $15 per hour and full benefits, more than $1 million in direct tax revenue and multiple services that would create additional jobs, tax revenue and benefit a sector of the community that has been historically underserved.”

Beard said the company is evaluating other sites in North Carolina.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 7:40 AM, rolly said:

Buc-ee’s goes down in flames in liberal Orange county? No way! 

Would have been lots of starter-pay jobs and a valuable service to the area.  But the lefty elites will be having none of that.

I think that Chapel Hill and a small part of Carboro are the only places in the OC that are liberal.  Hillsborough, Efland, etc. seem like Bo and Luke Duke could come driving out in the General Lee at any time.

• Haha 1