City Center / Virginia BioTech Park

whw53

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

FANTASTIC!! 

Regardless how things actually shake out in terms of what is built - how much density, how tall, etc., I can honestly say that with this next step in the City Center initiative, and with what's happening over in the Diamond District, that the city is -- for the first time in my lifetime -- actually approaching all of this correctly. Which means - the way other SUCCESSFUL cities have ALWAYS approached it - which is something RVA has never done until now. Maybe FINALLY the old, outmoded, restrained, constrained, restricted, constricted (yes - I'm purposely throwing as many adjectives in here that remotely describe it!) ways of thinking and M.O. is giving way to doing things the RIGHT way! Maybe this is the direction that the city goes to take the "next steps" - whereas Scott's Addition and Manchester have organically developed independently yet to an extent in tandem as "book end" anchor hot spot sections of the city over the last 5 to 8 years or so - perhaps going forward the Diamond District and City Center are the next two hot spots in the batting order that are poised to step up to the plate and bang out a few home runs - only this time WITH some help from the city.

It's things like these that do give me hope!

• Like 2

The city is moving forward with the next of no-doubt many necessary practical steps to get things rolling in City Center. This is in addition to the planning department reworking and proposing upzoning the entire City Center district.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/16/coliseum-rfp-demolition-would-follow-arenas-planned-transfer-to-eda/

51 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

The city is moving forward with the next of no-doubt many necessary practical steps to get things rolling in City Center. This is in addition to the planning department reworking and proposing upzoning the entire City Center district.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/16/coliseum-rfp-demolition-would-follow-arenas-planned-transfer-to-eda/

This is just going to take too long to do.  Heck, the whole Navy Hill would have been built by the time they just demo the Coliseum!  Geez....

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This is just going to take too long to do.  Heck, the whole Navy Hill would have been built by the time they just demo the Coliseum!  Geez....

Or just long enough? At least in a galaxy brain sense. (If we’re heading into a recession, it’ll take so long that we’ll be out of the recession by the time this is ripe.)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Maybe - but maybe not. Tearing down the copper-top spaceship is going to take forever no matter how we slice it. I got the feeling that even had NH passed, it wouldn't have sped up any processes. If you think about it, the only things the Diamond District has going for it from a "get it done quickly" perspective is that there's a hard deadline to get a new ballpark in place else we lose the Squirrels. Plus, I have a feeling it will be easier to tear down The Diamond and remove it than it will the Coliseum, if for no other reason than enviromnmental concerns, even through there are only 14-years' difference in the ages of the two facilities. There was little to no urgency to push demo of the Coliseum when NH was on the board - nor is there one now. So ... on the one hand, I totally share your frustration about how long just getting rid of the beast is going to take. But it is what it is. The other part - is that the Diamond District is going to have a coordinated, tight, unified proposal/plan for development. It's not sounding at all like that will be the case with City Center. Small Area Plan - yes. Upzoning, yes. RFP for redevelopment of the Coliseum site - okay - sounds like the direction they're going. But nothing is in place - and I somehow don't see the same umph being applied to City Center to get a COORDINATED development plan in place as is the case for the Diamond District. I do think that the city, while participating in the planning and guiding things, are going to let "free market factors" have a freer hand in City Center than they will in the Diamond District - unless I'm not reading the tea leaves correctly and have missed something.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1