City Center / Virginia BioTech Park

whw53

9 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

BizSense says that this new project has 100k more square feet.  Is that more than the first proposal (the 20 story building) or more than the second, scaled down version? 

Yeah, article is not very clear, it says "larger more expensive" but the plan here has changed around a few times. The initial plan was 20 stories, then it was scaled back to like 7, then it was scrapped. So larger more expensive than what? Also while the new plan may be more sqft it's on a much larger footprint, so doubtful it goes back up to 20 stories.

Edited by 123fakestreet

19 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

BizSense says that this new project has 100k more square feet.  Is that more than the first proposal (the 20 story building) or more than the second, scaled down version? 

Not exactly sure which one they are referring to with regard to square feet, but my hunch is that they are referring to the taller 20-story tower and not the scaled-down version.  Additionally, at a cost of over $400M it’s not much lower in cost than the CoStar research HQ they are building downtown. This could be a huge project. The article did mention that VCU is looking to build a “signature” facility on that block. Now, the question is, how much of the block will the footprint of this facility take up?  That will determine the height of this thing. I’d still like to see them add the Ronald McDonald housing and the other temp housing facility (the name escapes me now) on that block too, just as they planned to do with the previous plan (the need is still there). If they do that, then the footprint of this new dental school will be the same as the previous tower planned for that site. With more square footage as part of this new dental school than the old planned 20-story tower, there could be some good height on this thing…guessing between 23-25 stories?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ancientcarpenter said:

huge if true

Could we find out today after the vote? I assume after the vote they would have a public rendering for everyone?

Sounded to me like they still have to design this thing. The school wasn’t originally supposed to go there, so a new design given the new lot it will sit on is probably in order. We may not see a new rendering for months…maybe a year. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Oh wait, it’s pretty clear here from the article which one they were referring to when providing the total square footage:

That 2021 agreement had called for a 20-story tower and three-building complex totaling 240,000 square feet of office space, 150,000 of which was to be used by VCU Health to support its nearby Children’s Hospital Pavilion and Adult Outpatient Pavilion.”

So they were referring to the taller, 20-story design!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Oh wait, it’s pretty clear here from the article which one they were referring to when providing the total square footage:

That 2021 agreement had called for a 20-story tower and three-building complex totaling 240,000 square feet of office space, 150,000 of which was to be used by VCU Health to support its nearby Children’s Hospital Pavilion and Adult Outpatient Pavilion.”

So they were referring to the taller, 20-story design!

Exactly. That's what I was referring to rather inartfully upthread: 

VCU has said the new 314,000-square-foot facility is envisioned for the 3-acre site at 500 N. 10th St., which until recently had been planned for a private development with VCU Health signed on as a master tenant.

That project, valued at $325 million, effectively died last month, when the City of Richmond took back the property after finding the private developer, Capital City Partners, in default of the terms of the development agreement.

That 2021 agreement had called for a 20-story tower and three-building complex totaling 240,000 square feet of office space, 150,000 of which was to be used by VCU Health to support its nearby Children’s Hospital Pavilion and Adult Outpatient Pavilion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

huge if true

Could we find out today after the vote? I assume after the vote they would have a public rendering for everyone?

@RVABizSenseMike-- any chance there might be an update today in RBS after the vote? It would be really good to know the results (and any further details) without having to wait 'til Monday to find out. How possible would that be?

1 minute ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Sanger Hall by itself is something like 14-15 stories without the HVAC crowning at top. 

My big thing here is "VCU and Richmond" - they're not just talking about something that will be unique and centerpiece to VCU and its identity, they're also talking about including RVA's identity as a city in this development. 

This really is big news...RBS should have marked it as breaking news. One could make a strong argument that this is bigger than CoStar tower news in our little development bubble here imho.

1.) Yep - Sanger Hall has quite a bit of size to it. I think it's 14 occupied floors - plus the HVAC. I'll be curious to see how VCU proposes replacing it. So -- do I read the tea leaves correctly in that VCU is actually legitimately looking at building TWO new, large-scale buildings on the downtown campus (extended - to include the Block D property)?

2.) "VCU AND Richmond" - that statement wasn't lost on me either, @ancientcarpenter-- and VCU doesn't play around with their capital projects. Mind you, I don't necessarily ever see them building the tallest building in the city, but at the same time, when it comes to the medical campus, the school doesn't nickel-and-dime their physical plant by any stretch. We really could be looking at something quite significant on the horizon for downtown Richmond.

3.) Agreed! This should be breaking news.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

I'm not certain what the timing will be however I know we're planning to cover today's meeting. Sorry, I can't provide more detail than that because I frankly don't know. 

No worries. Thanks for the quick bounce-back, Mike! VERY much appreciated! 👍🙂

7 minutes ago, Hike said:

I love how some comments from the Bizsense article center on removing more land from the city or adding to another “state run” health care. Sorry, but good health care is essential and good for all, plus, teaching new health care professionals is critical and level 1 trauma. I couldn’t imagine RVA without VCU, it wouldn’t be the same and would be almost nothing without it. You think RVA is behind now with its potential, imagine no VCU, now that would be a city in need of life support.

image.jpeg.019bcc8d202052dcba4ee41b25b52df8.jpeg !!! AMEN to every word of what you just said. Spot on. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

image.jpeg.019bcc8d202052dcba4ee41b25b52df8.jpeg !!! AMEN to every word of what you just said. Spot on. 

Cheers man, enjoying my Friday brew! It was a good news day with this development, it’s been awhile and we needed this to keep a pulse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Have we seen these yet? Nice one sheeters summarizing the visions and partners from the 4 respondents to the phase 1 of the city center RFO. Plenty of eye candy! 

https://www.rva.gov/citycenter

These are FANTASTIC!! They all offer some good stuff. Gateway and RCDP seem to place quite a bit of robust height in their developments - and you KNOW I'm going to lean toward those two (even understanding that these are merely conceptual - but still).  Capstone would be #3 for me - and Lincoln fourth.

• Like 1