City Center / Virginia BioTech Park

whw53

• 1 month later...

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

This is good. You could include the proposed state buildings on Main Street which are both double digit and the the buildings VCU Health is planning as well. Perhaps we don’t know the floor counts on the VCU buildings yet. 

Thanks, Coupe!!

Good call. Yep - I can do that! :tw_thumbsup:

Isn't one of the new VCU Health buildings something like 11 or 12 or maybe 13 floors? Last I saw according to state info was that the new 7th and Main building was 14 floors (although on here, it's been shrinking from 14 to 13 to suddenly 11 - I hope and pray that's NOT the case!) 

QUESTION: What's the second state building on Main Street and how many floors? There's a second state building aside from the one at 7th and Main?

I'll work on an update.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

They are going to demo the newer addition of the Pocahontas building at 10th and Main  and replace it with a new building for the State Supreme Court. I guess to be fair they haven’t confirmed the proposed height yet, but it will be over 230,000 sf so not an insignificant structure. 

Just curious - do we know how many sf the current newer addition has? I saw somewhere that the Pocohantas Building is > 300,000 sf - but I'm guessing that's for the high-rise portion as well as the 7-story annex, no? So only the 7-story annex is to be replaced by a 230K sf structure?

Edited by I miss RVA

I dug around and this is what I was able to glean from VCU's master plan published in 2019. Looks like the university is planning for an Interdisciplinary Health Sciences building, roughly 13 stories, just east of the new outpatient hospital. And immediately to the east of the IDHSB a new inpatient hospital - and I recall having read something two or three years ago that mentioned this building would be anywhere from 16 to 18 stories tall -- and notice how on the 3-D rendering in the master plan it looks like it will be as tall as the new outpatient hospital - so even though we're only guesstimating at this point, let's call it at 18 stories.

That said - I'll update the downtown map with these buildings. (I've added the state office building at 7th and Main)

VCU Master Plan - IDHSB.jpg

VCU Master Plan 2019.jpg

image.png.25c48f1770d8263230b6d1a61aa0f860b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

I dug around and this is what I was able to glean from VCU's master plan published in 2019. Looks like the university is planning for an Interdisciplinary Health Sciences building, roughly 13 stories, just east of the new outpatient hospital. And immediately to the east of the IDHSB a new inpatient hospital - and I recall having read something two or three years ago that mentioned this building would be anywhere from 16 to 18 stories tall -- and notice how on the 3-D rendering in the master plan it looks like it will be as tall as the new outpatient hospital - so even though we're only guesstimating at this point, let's call it at 18 stories.

That said - I'll update the downtown map with these buildings. (I've added the state office building at 7th and Main)

VCU Master Plan - IDHSB.jpg

VCU Master Plan 2019.jpg

image.png.25c48f1770d8263230b6d1a61aa0f860b.jpg

Oh wow so it looks like at some point they are going to replace the main hospital at vcu according to the last photo with the caption above it. Anyone any idea what the status with that is? Never even knew they were thinking about replacing the main part of the hospital.

56 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Downtown-Current Plus City Center Projects-2.png

Thanks for putting all this together.  Though this looks like a lot (to me...not really), I'm thinking we need a lot more!  Would love to see some high-rises in the Monroe Ward (just to the NW of the Dominion Energy tower).  Preferably, some mixed use towers that will be tall (20+ stories).  Also, I'd be nice to see some more action in the financial district (don't get me wrong, CoStar is super awesome, but the rest of the financial district is dormant).   Overall, this is a great visual!

Oh yeah...this doesn't even include any of the City Center towers that are envisioned!  Hopefully, we see some more concrete plans for that area this year!  The top half of this map could really be hot by the end of the year for sure!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Oh wow so it looks like at some point they are going to replace the main hospital at vcu according to the last photo with the caption above it. Anyone any idea what the status with that is? Never even knew they were thinking about replacing the main part of the hospital.

Perhaps at some point, yes. A check of the VCU master plan online site shows only one medical campus project in the pipeline -- a new building for the School of Dentistry -- and that won't be funded until the 2024-26 biennium.  There does not appear to be a rendering of this building. Everything else on the near-term radar is on the academic campus. The 12-story residential building at Laurel & Grace is not expected to be funded until the 2024-26 biennium. Interesting that the school did include longer-range projects -- such as the new inpatient hospital -- as an overall part of the master plan, even if those projects at this point have no real details yet.

https://masterplan.vcu.edu/implementation/planning-phase-projects/

58 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Pretty sure that's the parking deck.  I had heard this as the long term plan years ago, hadn't yet seen it on anything official. What I heard was they are replacing the main patient parking deck (which if you've ever used it is pretty dated and convoluted) with more hospital space and moving patient parking to the employee deck across the street. Employees are then moving to the deck on the "island" at the 64/95 interchange, which I believe has just been completed.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for putting all this together.  Though this looks like a lot (to me...not really), I'm thinking we need a lot more!  Would love to see some high-rises in the Monroe Ward (just to the NW of the Dominion Energy tower).  Preferably, some mixed use towers that will be tall (20+ stories).  Also, I'd be nice to see some more action in the financial district (don't get me wrong, CoStar is super awesome, but the rest of the financial district is dormant).   Overall, this is a great visual!

Oh yeah...this doesn't even include any of the City Center towers that are envisioned!  Hopefully, we see some more concrete plans for that area this year!  The top half of this map could really be hot by the end of the year for sure!

That thought has crossed my mind while putting all of this together -- that on the one hand, it really IS a lot of projects -- potentially 14 projects involving possibly 15 high-rise buildings - which depending on the time frame in which these buildings might rise actually IS a lot by Richmond standards (maybe not by the standards of some -- probably much larger -- cities. And yet - even with ALL of these projects, it's really a drop in the bucket compared to what COULD be! The overall percentage of the landscape yet to be developed that are not impacted by these projects is enormous -- which gives us some food for thought as to the potential for downtown RVA to really beef up.

The thing is -- even these projects -- will likely take the rest of the decade to come to pass. I can't see 15 double-digit-story buildings rising in just a matter of the next 2 or 3 years. I hope I'm proven wrong on this, and we see boom cranes suddenly sprouting up all over downtown in the next couple of years. Makes me realize there's just about no way I'll live long enough to see RVA reach the fullness of her potential. That will be multiple decades in the making. Hopefully we'll see a tremendous amount of development in the coming years. Just what's on this map certainly qualifies.

And yes - this doesn't include anything in the far northern portion of what is included in the CCSAP, since we have no concrete proposals. I'll be interested to see how the Mayor and the city govt handles pushing this forward, given Stoney's comments at the end of last year about putting emphasis on economic development in City Center -- and placing only Greater Scott's/Diamond District redevelopment ahead it in terms of timeframe.

This year will certainly be very interesting - as will the next several years. Here's hoping we see a LOT of ground broken on these projects going forward.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 12:57 AM, I miss RVA said:

Just curious - do we know how many sf the current newer addition has? I saw somewhere that the Pocohantas Building is > 300,000 sf - but I'm guessing that's for the high-rise portion as well as the 7-story annex, no? So only the 7-story annex is to be replaced by a 230K sf structure?

Looks like the annex has 170,397 Sqft while the original tower has 100,609 Sqft.

https://apps.richmondgov.com/applications/propertysearch/Detail.aspx?pin=E0000098015

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

Looks like the annex has 170,397 Sqft while the original tower has 100,609 Sqft.

https://apps.richmondgov.com/applications/propertysearch/Detail.aspx?pin=E0000098015

Thanks for finding that, Ice. Good to know. Okay - assuming roughly the same footprint per floor plate in sf (just doing some straight math it comes to 24,342), we get 9.5 floors (actually 9.448) -- so best guess is that it should be somewhere around 9 or 10 stories. Not that I'm a proponent of plazas or courtyards (I much prefer build-outs right to the sidewalk), but I'd be willing to give up a few extra feet around the perimeter of the building to ensure we get this puppy up to -- or over -- 10 stories! 

Edited by I miss RVA

2 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Looking at the development map and seeing just how impressive VCU Hospital's physical plant is (and will be in the coming decade), Richmond is incredibly fortunate to have such a complex.  It is something that one would find in a much larger MSA.  VCU Hospital is a major amenity that helps Richmond hit way above its weight class in terms of healthcare and quality of life.  Millions of Americans have to travel great distances to access a cutting edge medical facility.  Most Richmonders can one reach in twenty minutes.  

Apologies for being a bit off topic.

Agreed. Not only did VCU hold down RVA during some of the worst times in the 80's and 90s (and let's be honest, early 2000s weren't great either) but VCU has offered endless opportunities for employment and I'm sure it's a big reason why many companies have chosen to come to RVA. It's also helped with the RVA real estate housing market I'm sure. My first job out of college was for VCU and my wife started her career as a nurse at VCU. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Looking at the development map and seeing just how impressive VCU Hospital's physical plant is (and will be in the coming decade), Richmond is incredibly fortunate to have such a complex.  It is something that one would find in a much larger MSA.  VCU Hospital is a major amenity that helps Richmond hit way above its weight class in terms of healthcare and quality of life.  Millions of Americans have to travel great distances to access a cutting edge medical facility.  Most Richmonders can one reach in twenty minutes.  

Apologies for being a bit off topic.

Spot on! The exceptionally comprehensive VCU Health system - and its correspondingly massive complex -- are what you'd expect to find in significantly larger cities/metros such as D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Phoenix, San Francisco, etc.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks for finding that, Ice. Good to know. Okay - assuming roughly the same footprint per floor plate in sf (just doing some straight math it comes to 24,342), we get 9.5 floors (actually 9.448) -- so best guess is that it should be somewhere around 9 or 10 stories. Not that I'm a proponent of plazas or courtyards (I much prefer build-outs right to the sidewalk), but I'd be willing to give up a few extra feet around the perimeter of the building to ensure we get this puppy up to -- or over -- 10 stories! 

Courthouses, at the least the ones I have been on during construction, tend to have more height per floor compared to commercial buildings.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Courthouses, at the least the ones I have been on during construction, tend to have more height per floor compared to commercial buildings.

Good to know! So imagine if this had slightly smaller sf floor plates (accounting for a little bit of public space on the exterior perimeter of the building) and say plating at 14-ft height -- we could be looking at 140 feet for 10-stories, and let's add 1 or 2 floors' worth of mechanical at the top of the building - so an equivalent architectural height of, say, 12 stories, getting us to 168 feet street-to-rooftop. That MIGHT get us to a height roughly equivalent to the Mutual Building across the street. THAT wouldn't be bad at all.

Keep in mind these are all "Monopoly Money" figures using feet in place of dollars. But it's certainly enough to give us some food for thought.

Edited by I miss RVA

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Good to know! So imagine if this had slightly smaller sf floor plates (accounting for a little bit of public space on the exterior perimeter of the building) and say plating at 14-ft height -- we could be looking at 140 feet for 10-stories, and let's add 1 or 2 floors' worth of mechanical at the top of the building - so an equivalent architectural height of, say, 12 stories, getting us to 168 feet street-to-rooftop. That MIGHT get us to a height roughly equivalent to the Mutual Building across the street. THAT wouldn't be bad at all.

Keep in mind these are all "Monopoly Money" figures using feet in place of dollars. But it's certainly enough to give us some food for thought.

Total WAG based on just public knowledge would be 9 floors, equivalent to 10. That’s based on the current Supreme Court being 6 floors but more like 7 because there’s a mezzanine between ground and second, as the courtroom’s ceiling is very high. From two up the building is more like an office building with various IT and court administration, etc. Also, I would guess this building will hold the Court of Appeals, which occupies the Rose & Lafoon building (2 floors plus a basement) that is more or less attached. Presumably the Court of Appeals would have its own dedicated courtroom and take up a couple floors, maybe three, given it just expanded from 11 to 17 judges (not all of whom are based on Richmond, of course). The wild card might be whether an upper floor rotunda is planned, which is kind of the trend in court buildings these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Total WAG based on just public knowledge would be 9 floors, equivalent to 10. That’s based on the current Supreme Court being 6 floors but more like 7 because there’s a mezzanine between ground and second, as the courtroom’s ceiling is very high. From two up the building is more like an office building with various IT and court administration, etc. Also, I would guess this building will hold the Court of Appeals, which occupies the Rose & Lafoon building (2 floors plus a basement) that is more or less attached. Presumably the Court of Appeals would have its own dedicated courtroom and take up a couple floors, maybe three, given it just expanded from 11 to 17 judges (not all of whom are based on Richmond, of course). The wild card might be whether an upper floor rotunda is planned, which is kind of the trend in court buildings these days.

Public knowledge? Also - can you clarify? Where is this being bandied about?

Now are we counting on an additional "floor" or two atop the building to handle mechanical?

Curious to know how an upper floor rotunda might impact the building size architecturally.

Wow - that's some REALLY good information, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA