City Center / Virginia BioTech Park

whw53

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Definitely a chance Green City never happens, but unlikely to come back to the city.

I'm thinking Green City was a play to up the density allowance there - developer will walk back from entertainment\office components and end up developing entire site dense residential with limited office, limited neighborhood service retail.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

Yep, I’d guess that we are back down to a 17-story tower - matching that of the Adult Outpatient tower next door.  Disappointing.

Maybe - still, the news stories are still calling for a 20-story tower. Where 60K square feet of spec office space is being trimmed hasn't been specified. So stay hopeful!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shucks, rendering here in Virginia Business shows that tower truncated..

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/richmond-council-clears-way-for-325m-vcu-health-project/

Edit - altho that rendering may be the original for that block from the Navy Hill proposal - look how it shows development on adjacent blocks.

Also here are links to the BizSense, RTD stories

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/02/city-council-oks-325m-development-to-replace-public-safety-building/

https://richmond.com/news/richmond-city-council-approves-3-5-million-sale-of-public-safety-building-downtown/article_45c522a9-b84d-52a4-865d-821cb0f59d5a.html

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Shucks, rendering here in Virginia Business shows that tower truncated..

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/richmond-council-clears-way-for-325m-vcu-health-project/

Edit - altho that rendering may be the original for that block from the Navy Hill proposal.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

That definitely looks like the original Block D image.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Icetera said:

That definitely looks like the original Block D image.

It is. Both the RTD and RBS used the newer developer image from last year.

Interesting take in the RTD article - it didn't report that spec Class A space was limited to 90,000 square feet - the story indicated 90,000 to 150,000 - so perhaps that original footprint is still in play? Depending on how the economy begins to be resuscitated as (hopefully) the pandemic begins to be corralled, perhaps the developers will boost that office space back to the original 150K mark. At least it seems more open-ended according to the RTD's reporting than it did a few weeks ago - that 90K footprint isn't set in stone just yet.

I just wanted to toss this comment from Richmond BizSense - a reader responding to the Block D sale/redevelopment article. Obviously someone opposed to NH - but I was a little put off by the tone, and I disagree with him, even though I'm willing to acknowledge that, in a way, he makes a valid point.  Still, I'm 58, have been waiting for decades for RVA to start doing what it's finally doing - and I'm holding out hope that I will, in fact, live long enough to see RVA hit the "big time" (whatever he means by that - not sure how he's defining it). I honestly think we are well on our way now. I didn't think we were until the last year or two. But I think we're headed there now.

Thoughts on this perspective?

-------------------------------------------

Shawn Harper

8 hours ago

Reply to  Bruce Milam

Yes Bruce. No one has ever made a case as to why a stadium MUST be there, and, indeed, I can think of many reasons why one would be better located somewhere else.

People have dreams of Camden Yards, but is it my imagination or was that built in a location that is ADJACENT to everything and not smack in the middle of everything? An important distinction.

RIchmond should likely consider a location SOUTH of the James (gasp) for such a project, that or let one of the counties build one, which they would if it made economic sense. The ability to see big games or performance artists downtown is HUGELY overrated and should be left to such places like Philly — you aren’t Big-Time UNTIL you are big time, and Richmond has a LONG way to go yet — and I won’t be here, buy choice or by lifespan, if it does get there.

Edited by I miss RVA

20 hours ago, Shakman said:

One of the most pessimistic comments I have ever read about Richmond.  One has to think big to be big.  It doesn't just fall from the sky.  Boils my blood reading that comment.  

:tw_thumbsup:

Edited by Hike

4 hours ago, Shakman said:

One of the most pessimistic comments I have ever read about Richmond.  One has to think big to be big.  It doesn't just fall from the sky.  Boils my blood reading that comment.  

Same here, Shakman. This commenter strikes me a one of the NIMBY types who will pontificate why Richmond "doesn't need this" or "doesn't need that" -- then laments how -- in his small-minded view - that the city is somehow "dying" - and how the counties are still the end-all and be-all of the RVA area.

Sadly, this mindset really set the city back for much of the last 50 years. I'm so happy things have changed and at least the needle has moved. Richmond's absolutely on fire right now - booming like never before. Barring a total collapse economically of the Richmond market (not looking likely to happen based on a lot of national data pegging Richmond as one of THE hot go-to cities for jobs) I don't see things slowing down for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, eandslee said:

A Silicon Valley, CA company, Aditxt Immune Health. is creating a laboratory operations division and locating it in the VA Biotech Park in Downtown Richmond!  This would add 300 jobs in the next 3 years!  Great news!  Looks like Richmond is starting to make its post-pandemic move up! 

Now that we have a company downtown that has ties to the San Francisco area, I think that direct flights to SFO from RIC are in order!

https://aditxt.com/

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/05/03/northam-says-biotech-company-build-facility-richmond-create-over-jobs/

This is amazing to see making news as I have both personal and professional connections to this.  This is actually a result of a merger between Aditxt and and a local company, Salveo Diagnostics, currently based in Henrico (all the video footage is from that lab).  Salveo is a creation coming out of many talented folks from the now-defunct Health Diagnostic Laboratory so this move to the HDL-constructed building makes for a nice return home.  I am not sure this will impact flights much and I am curious as to how they are defining 300 new jobs as Salveo now has around 100 employees.  This could be an increase of 200 or perhaps there will be 400 total.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Icetera said:

This is amazing to see making news as I have both personal and professional connections to this.  This is actually a result of a merger between Aditxt and and a local company, Salveo Diagnostics, currently based in Henrico (all the video footage is from that lab).  Salveo is a creation coming out of many talented folks from the now-defunct Health Diagnostic Laboratory so this move to the HDL-constructed building makes for a nice return home.  I am not sure this will impact flights much and I am curious as to how they are defining 300 new jobs as Salveo now has around 100 employees.  This could be an increase of 200 or perhaps there will be 400 total.

This is good background information - thanks!  I'm hoping they didn't over-inflate the numbers to make this look better than it really is, but it is nice to see a faction of HDL returning "home" to the VA Tech Park.  Hopefully, this time around, things will work out better!  :)

As for direct flights to SFO...I'm always looking for any excuse to call for direct flights from RIC...even if I'm just grasping at straws!  ha ha

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

This is good background information - thanks!  I'm hoping they didn't over-inflate the numbers to make this look better than it really is, but it is nice to see a faction of HDL returning "home" to the VA Tech Park.  Hopefully, this time around, things will work out better!  :)

As for direct flights to SFO...I'm always looking for any excuse to call for direct flights from RIC...even if I'm just grasping at straws!  ha ha

At the rate things are going economically for Richmond specifically and RVA metro in general, with so many announced relos to Richmond already happening - and it's a safe bet that once we are post-pandemic, that will only increase - we might see those West Coast flights we want. Whether this company would create enough business to drive an airline offering a direct RIC-SFO connection remains to be seen. BUT - if the RIC-LAX flights go well and and well supported, who knows - we just might see someone step up to the plate and get some flights to NOCal sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Staff presentation on the small area plan for this area was introduced today at the Planning Commission meeting - confusingly this now being referred to as the 'City Center Small Area Plan'. It appears the city is attempting to shift the weight of that that existing place name to the north of Broad to capture the former Navy Hill site. As of now that place name is realized mostly around Grace St south of Broad. 

Full presentation here - https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4938751&GUID=56EC8462-FA30-43CA-ADF2-3F21611B3F85&Options=&Search=

Citycenter.jpg

Citycenter_phasing.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Once again, I have to say I am very impressed with the depth and comprehensiveness of these small-area plans (recall the Shockoe Area plan we saw not all that long ago). This falls very much in line with the general Richmond300 plan - and seems to be a good fit. 

Obviously, renderings don't necessarily mean that much in the grander scheme of things, but I am a little concerned that a few potential development sites (Broad between 4th and 5th & Grace between 6th & 7th) - are not shown with buildings that have significant height. Obviously, a developer can come in and build tall, given that this whole City Center area is zoned B-4 - so I'm probably picking at nits that don't really exist.

I would like to point out something I found to be very interesting in the plan: the location of a main north/south PULSE BRT line. Interesting that in the Small Area Plan, they do not show a north/south Pule line traveling along Belvidere Street and forming a spine from Chamberlayne Avenue/Brook Road through to Cowardin Avenue and the Pike. Rather, the plan shows a north/south line coming in via Chamberlayne to Leigh Street - heading east/west and turning at 8th & 9th streets - and heading south into Manchester, via the Manchester Bridge. There does not appear to be any indication as to WHERE it goes from there.

Thoughts? Is this a good potential route? Does this open up the possibility of two north/south routes?

Screenshot (197).png

Screenshot (199).png

Sorry for the typo - "alone" should be "along" - I'm not going to go back and re-do the picture to fix the typo. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, whw53 said:

Staff presentation on the small area plan for this area was introduced today at the Planning Commission meeting - confusingly this now being referred to as the 'City Center Small Area Plan'. It appears the city is attempting to shift the weight of that that existing place name to the north of Broad to capture the former Navy Hill site. As of now that place name is realized mostly around Grace St south of Broad. 

Full presentation here - https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4938751&GUID=56EC8462-FA30-43CA-ADF2-3F21611B3F85&Options=&Search=

Citycenter.jpg

Citycenter_phasing.jpg

Smart move on their part, NIMBYs have made the name "Navy Hill" toxic, best to move on from it and call it something else.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Once again, I have to say I am very impressed with the depth and comprehensiveness of these small-area plans (recall the Shockoe Area plan we saw not all that long ago). This falls very much in line with the general Richmond300 plan - and seems to be a good fit. 

Obviously, renderings don't necessarily mean that much in the grander scheme of things, but I am a little concerned that a few potential development sites (Broad between 4th and 5th & Grace between 6th & 7th) - are not shown with buildings that have significant height. Obviously, a developer can come in and build tall, given that this whole City Center area is zoned B-4 - so I'm probably picking at nits that don't really exist.

I would like to point out something I found to be very interesting in the plan: the location of a main north/south PULSE BRT line. Interesting that in the Small Area Plan, they do not show a north/south Pule line traveling along Belvidere Street and forming a spine from Chamberlayne Avenue/Brook Road through to Cowardin Avenue and the Pike. Rather, the plan shows a north/south line coming in via Chamberlayne to Leigh Street - heading east/west and turning at 8th & 9th streets - and heading south into Manchester, via the Manchester Bridge. There does not appear to be any indication as to WHERE it goes from there.

Thoughts? Is this a good potential route? Does this open up the possibility of two north/south routes?

Screenshot (197).png

Screenshot (199).png

Sorry for the typo - "alone" should be "along" - I'm not going to go back and re-do the picture to fix the typo. 

Chamberlayne/Belvidere/Cowardin/Jeff Davis (or whatever they are calling it now) it the obvious north south route.  From Azalea Mall to Dupont.  Only issue is it doesn't bisect downtown enough, I'm sure they'd like it go further east of Belvidere.  Could solve that by adding another east/west south of the river - 9th street starting at existing Broad St line across Manchester Bridge then hook a right at Commerce and go down Hull St, intersecting with the north/south line at Cowardin

• Like 1