Ford Auditorium

Zissou

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind Ford Auditorium. The design itself isn't great, but it doesn't offend me. And Detroit has relatively little modern architecture to speak of. While this style isn't "in" right now, I think it important to preserve some of what was happening in the 1950's as much as it's important to preserve what was happening in pre-depression Detroit. Penn Station in New York wasn't popular either (from a design/style perspective) when it was torn down. See where I'm going with this?

What needs to happen is to find a viable use for the building. Clean it up, add some dramatic / funky exterior lighting and have it house some kind of regular activity (weekly event or something). ...or just tear it down. I'm not married to it, I'm just saying you can't ignore modern architecture anymore than you can the Madison-Lenoxes of the world simply cause it doesn't suit our current tastes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are very right Gecko. Don't worry, I kind of like the design of the auditorium too. As it stands right now neglected though, it's a piece of crap. I just enjoy making fun of it, just like cheese grater bank 1 and doorstop 777 woodward.

IMO, if the buildng were to be renovated, that black covering should be removed and covered with some sort of wood covering, because this will be the interior of the lobby. The front would be pushed out, and the facade would be a glass wall... very typical in modern auditoriums today. I'm not really sure why Ford Auditorium was unsuccesful. Maybe it was because it didn't meet the needs for certain peformances, but maybe some modernizations and well planned renovations could change this.

Part of the reason is that the acoustics in Ford Auditorium are not very good. That's why the DSO used the United Artists Theater (which was almost acoustically perfect) to do its recordings from 1978 until 1984.

Sorry about that, Renaissance Center, but it was just killing me and I couldn't help myself :whistling:

Oh, that's right, I forgot about the radiator :lol:

Anyway, you *do* have a point, gecko10225. Modern architecture certainly can't be ignored, and it can in fact be considered as an art form in its self to some. Though I guess, when a structure looks too common and easy to duplicate, it would tend to not be as well appreciated by the community.

I will say this: In other parts of the world, there are buildings that are centuries old, yet still being used. I think about natural stone floors and lobbies, as well as genuine wood paneling and ornate fixtures that are hand-made. Such buildings would be prohibitively expensive to build these days. If it works, is durable, well constructed and has an appealing look, why not continue to use it rather than tear it down for something the public might not accept as well? Afterall, the orchestra did end up going back to their old building...

MrCoffee

Part of the reason is that the acoustics in Ford Auditorium are not very good.  That's why the DSO used the United Artists Theater (which was almost acoustically perfect) to do its recordings from 1978 until 1984.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WAS almost accoustically perfect'

Ugh.. over six hundred posts and I'm still a hamlet?

Boooooo....

Yes its modern but its not great modern architecture. I think when it comes to preservation the building should still be able to serve a purpose. The ML could have served a purpose and the community by converting it into residential or a hotel of some sort. Detroit unfortunately doesnt need another theater at this time. There are several others IMO that are ahead of the FA in terms of value in being restored. If you want to see modern architecture from that time you can go accross Hart plaza to the UAW building or across Jefferson to the Coleman Young building. We dont need to preserve an ugly theater with lousy acoustics for its architectural significance.

WAS almost accoustically perfect'

Ugh.. over six hundred posts and I'm still a hamlet?

Boooooo....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I wouldn't think that the acoustics in here are very good anymore, with the hole in the roof and all. You could always go there and try it out to see for sure. :P

You'll just have to keep posting until you aren't a Hamlet anymore. The levels are an urbanplanet secret. In fact, at one time we had a thread devoted to members trying to figure out when the levels changed. LOL.

It really is pretty dark in there, even with the hole in the roof & open doors. My photos in the auditorium were all 15 second exposures, and they were still on the dark side. You could hear the water pouring in, and the floor is covered in a mush composed primarily of water & plaster dust. The stage is pretty rotted. The whole thing is questionable, since I could see the wood bending under my weight.

Archived