I could imagine that this potential park would be a catalyst for possible residential or apartment towers around it by the light rail

45 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I could imagine that this potential park would be a catalyst for possible residential or apartment towers around it by the light rail

I would imagine you are correct. I would also think the park, if it were to happen, would get dramatically rezoned around the edges

• Like 2

I'll add a couple of small points to what I see omitted from the initial sketches:

First, the Norfolk Southern main lines (at least two tracks, perhaps 3 if the passenger bypass gets built) will remain and will be relatively busy. Second, the CATS North Yard will certainly remain. Given CATS stumbles with connecting the Blue and Silver lines I wonder if there are some opportunities for rethinking the connection and/or yard layout in the context of the proposed park  (although I am not sure what those could be).

While the possibility of a signature park is great, it will always suffer from some connectivity and boundary issues due to active tracks that will run on all sides (NS to West, CATS to East, CSX to South and Sugar Creek to North)

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I'll add a couple of small points to what I see left out of the initial sketches:

First, the Norfolk Southern main lines (at least two tracks, perhaps 3 if the passenger bypass gets built) will remain and will be relatively busy. Second, the CATS North Yard will certainly remain. Given CATS stumbles with connecting the Blue and Silver lines I wonder if there are some opportunities for rethinking the connection and/or yard layout in the context of the proposed park  (although I am not sure what those could be).

While the possibility of a signature park is great, it will always suffer from some connectivity and boundary issues due to active tracks that will run on all sides (NS to West, CATS to East, CSX to South and Sugar Creek to North)

Could always build the park over any existing rail lines if that is possible

30 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Could always build the park over any existing rail lines if that is possible

Yes, but current elevations make that difficult. The CATS tracks are significantly higher than Brevard North of 23rd st and much of N Tryon. There is never a space where the tracks run lower than street level.  The NS bridge over N Tryon also makes it virtually impossible to trench those tracks.

Edited by kermit

1 minute ago, kermit said:

Yes, but current elevations make that difficult. The CATS tracks are significantly higher than Brevard North of 23rd st and much of N Tryon. There is never a space where the tracks run lower than street level.  

Well that is..... inconvenient lol

11 hours ago, kermit said:

More importantly, I have heard from more than one source that NS is open to market-rate offers for the property.  As you can tell from the second rendering, the preliminary designs include plenty of office space to make the land purchase plus creating a massive park feasible. The fact that most of this land is in an opportunity zone has also peaked the interest of many potential players.

This is a key paragraph. Hearing that NS is open is actually fantastic news. I think there will actually end up being more development than is shown in that rendering, but that is OK and desirable.  This should be integrated along the cross Charlotte trail which would connect to to Cordelia Park as well.

There is potential for a really transformational project here. Brevard and Tryon must be better connected to better serve those communities west of Tryon.

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 2