The Republic Is Saved.

spenser1058

3 minutes ago, jack said:

So I assume they have a deal in the Senate. Or Pelosi is daring moderates in the Senate to vote it down. And it is not only Machnin. He and Sinema are taking all the heat but I bet there are more that were/are opposed to the larger spending package. 

Best guess in the Senate was there’s probably five more who were iffy in addition to the terrible two.

Of course, what Milquetoast Joe discovered with the watered-down voting rights bill specifically designed for him is that he still couldn’t find a single Republican vote to come along. 

I used to be a moderate also but, since the GOP lost its mind, there’s really no way to govern like that anymore. It’s go big or go home. Sadly, comity no longer exists.

Edited by spenser1058

On 11/3/2021 at 10:02 AM, orange87 said:

Winsome Sears will become Virginia lieutenant governor, CNN projects, becoming first female and woman of color in the office

image.png.6b28dac579578732f0754f33059d847e.png

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/politics/winsome-sears-virginia-lieutenant-governor-race/index.html

I thought you'd appreciate this. Reid and Dyson are clowns but when their ridiculousness moves beyond the realm of normal idiotic behavior, they should be commended. They are truly raising (or lowering) the bar. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/dyson-winsome-sears-black-face-151354030.html

To have a Black face speaking in behalf of a White supremacist legacy is nothing new,” Michael Eric Dyson said of Sears’ win.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Best guess in the Senate was there’s probably five more who were iffy in addition to the terrible two.

Of course, what Milquetoast Joe discovered with the watered-down voting rights bill specifically designed for him is that he still couldn’t find a single Republican vote to come along. 

I used to be a moderate also but, since the GOP lost its mind, there’s really no way to govern like that anymore. It’s go big or go home. Sadly, comity no longer exists.

The problem with go big or go home is the voters reject you a few years later and all gets overturned. Then we have this seesaw of extremism. 

The Donald and the GOP declared “Infrastructure Week” multiple times in four years but did… um, nothing.

Today, less than 10 months in office, Joe Biden and the Democrats have actually passed an infrastructure bill.

Thanks to the blue team!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/06/us/politics/biden-infrastructure-speech.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

The partisan gap in COVID-19 deaths has grown larger - the reason seems to be that 40% of Republican adults remain unvaccinated while only 10% of Democrats do:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/briefing/covid-death-toll-red-america.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

That’s one reason why state by state breakdowns don’t really work. Rural and small town areas of both blue and red states tend to be conservative and are more likely to be unvaccinated, while urban areas even in red state tend to be more progressive and thus likely to have higher vaccination rates (think of Atlanta vs. the rest of Georgia or the difference between NYC and upstate New York).

It turns out that FOX News and Sinclair Broadcasting are the “death panels” promoting a lack of participation in doing the thing most likely to save lives.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, jack said:

I thought you'd appreciate this. Reid and Dyson are clowns but when their ridiculousness moves beyond the realm of normal idiotic behavior, they should be commended. They are truly raising (or lowering) the bar. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/dyson-winsome-sears-black-face-151354030.html

To have a Black face speaking in behalf of a White supremacist legacy is nothing new,” Michael Eric Dyson said of Sears’ win.

The problem with go big or go home is the voters reject you a few years later and all gets overturned. Then we have this seesaw of extremism. 

Not necessarily. Once a big program is put in place and voters see what it does for their lives, they tend to stay. Think of Social Security, Medicare (Ronald Reagan even put out an album trying to torpedo it) and even Obamacare. The child tax credit is currently headed in that direction.

On 10/30/2021 at 2:25 PM, spenser1058 said:

I think @Neo must be working on it. It happened once before since he did the last major site update but went back to normal after a few days. That’s what I’m hoping, anyway.

This was changed. Reactions are now anonymous.

Beto’s running for governor in Texas. Now if we could get someone  in that age bracket with the same name recognition in Florida:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/us/politics/beto-orourke-texas-governor-announcement.html?referringSource=articleShare 

From the New York Times 

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Beto’s running for governor in Texas. Now if we could get someone  in that age bracket with the same name recognition in Florida:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/us/politics/beto-orourke-texas-governor-announcement.html?referringSource=articleShare 

From the New York Times 

I know he wants to gain cred with latino voters by changing his first name to a Spanish one, but I'll always refer to him as Robert or Bob O'Rourke. That would be like Ron DeSantis changing his first name to "Shaquon" to try to make black people vote for him.

50 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I know he wants to gain cred with latino voters by changing his first name to a Spanish one, but I'll always refer to him as Robert or Bob O'Rourke. That would be like Ron DeSantis changing his first name to "Shaquon" to try to make black people vote for him.

He’s had that nickname since school days, hasn’t he? Given the culture in El Paso, it wouldn’t seem that out of the norm to go with that when he was a teen and it just became nbd.

I note you don’t seem to care about Rafael Cruz going by “Ted”

Edited by spenser1058

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Nine House Democrats have announced retirement plans ahead of the 2022 midterm elections so far. Several House GOP members have said they support making Donald Trump the next House Speaker if the GOP takes the House in 2022.

Makes perfect sense given The Donald never showed a scintilla of interest in the nuance of policy the whole time he was in office. 

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Nine House Democrats have announced retirement plans ahead of the 2022 midterm elections so far. Several House GOP members have said they support making Donald Trump the next House Speaker if the GOP takes the House in 2022.

Like he hasn't caused enough chaos in this country already.

I think the right thrives on dysfunction.

Probably something to do with their hatred of the gub'mint. 

51 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Like he hasn't caused enough chaos in this country already.

I think the right thrives on dysfunction.

Probably something to do with their hatred of the gub'mint. 

I think a good piece of it comes from being lied to for so long. God knows the Democrats aren’t perfect, but whenever they are in power they try to fix things.

All the Republicans in power care about are tax cuts. The problem with that is that it only helps the 1%. When you emaciate funding for public schools, build in ridiculous profit margins when you privatize things like student loans and toll roads that everyday people can’t afford, all so you can act like Joel Greenberg and his cronies.

How many people did The Donald fleece with his “university” and how many subcontractors did he not pay back? The record going back to his father with their abysmal record in how they treated people in their NYC rentals.

There’s a reason it’s hard to find everyday New Yorkers with anything good to say about Trump.

One other thought - two of the sons of leading families in New York State badly treated and objectivized women.

The Democrats threw theirs out of office. The Republicans elected theirs president. That’s an easy to see difference right there.

Right here at home, another easy way to spot the difference. OUC, the public utility, charges less and is more reliable than for-profit Duke Energy. Even better, OUC sends its extra money to the city to keep taxes down. Duke Energy sends their profits out of state to wealthy shareholders. It sums up the difference quite nicely in who’s looking out for whom.

Edited by spenser1058

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I think a good piece of it comes from being lied to for so long. God knows the Democrats aren’t perfect, but whenever they are in power they try to fix things.

All the Republicans in power care about are tax cuts. The problem with that is that it only helps the 1%. When you emaciate funding for public schools, build in ridiculous profit margins when you privatize things like student loans and toll roads that everyday people can’t afford, all so you can act like Joel Greenberg and his cronies.

How many people did The Donald fleece with his “university” and how many subcontractors did he not pay back? The record going back to his father with their abysmal record in how they treated people in their NYC rentals.

There’s a reason it’s hard to find everyday New Yorkers to find anything good to say about Trump.

One other thought - two of the sons of leading families in New York State badly treated and objectivized women.

The Democrats threw theirs out of office. The Republicans elected theirs president. That’s an easy to see difference right there.

Right here at home, another easy way to spot the difference. OUC, the public utility, charges less and is more reliable than for-profit Duke Energy. Even better, OUC sends its extra money to the city to keep taxes down. Duke Energy sends their profits out of state to wealthy shareholders. It sums up the difference quite nicely in who’s looking out for whom.

Even Woody "This Land Is Your Land" Guthrie couldn't stand Trump Sr.

In December 1950, Guthrie moved to an apartment building in Brooklyn – Beach Haven Apartments.

His landlord: Fred Trump, father of Donald Trump.

Hated him to the point that he wrote a song about him....

• Like 1

Oh how the tides have changed. CT Governor Ned Lamont has an approval rating 12 points higher than FL Governor Ron DeSantis. Businessman Gov. Lamont has completely reversed decades of fiscal woes once thought insurmountable. Meanwhile DeSantis has turned Florida into a red Trump-cult stronghold.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.26.40 PM.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Germany will have a new Chancellor from the Social Democrats for the first time in 16 years, Olaf Scholz. Congratulations!

The incoming administration said one of it's top priorities is to legalize cannabis in Germany ASAP. Germany is now poised to become the sixth country in the world to legalize cannabis for recreational use. The five other countries that have that have legalized cannabis for recreational use are South Africa, Mexico, Canada, Georgia and Uruguay. A few dozen countries have decriminalized the recreational use of marijuana.

• Like 1