The Republic Is Saved.

spenser1058

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Gas was $3.99 today - no doubt the Republicans will be thanking President Biden for all his hard work in bringing the price back down on Meet the Press!

I've got a couple of old friends from back in my youth, who are big BDS sufferers. They were putting the high gas prices on Biden 100%. One of them having a grand old time posting pictures of gas pumps with the sky high price per gallon and those stupid Biden "I did that!!!" stickers on them.

I'm hoping gas prices hurry up and drop back down to around $3.60 per gallon again. Not just so the cost of everything else might start dropping and we can all spend less money, but also so I can Photoshop one of those stickers onto a picture of a gas pump with the lowered price, or better yet, onto a picture of a big, bold newspaper headline reading something to the effect of....

GAS PRICES BACK DOWN TO PRE- UKRAINE INVASION LEVELS    s-l500.jpg

Then bombard those nutjobs with it.  

Serve them right. 

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Since it was all Joe’s fault on the way up, I’m sure the GOP will give him full credit as they come down!

When you know what freezes over will the ever give him credit.

Unfortunately, the run up in gas prices world wide are primarily from the Covid hangover, not Russia or Democrats. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Since it was all Joe’s fault on the way up, I’m sure the GOP will give him full credit as they come down!

I'm sure he'll start to get full credit  if he can get back to where Trump left is. Here's the chart of gas prices under Biden, up to TODAY. On top of that, he's accomplished this by digging deep into our strategic petroleum reserve, releasing more of it then anyone else, ever. He inherited the reserve with 650 million barrels, and to bring prices down, almost 300 million barrels have been authorized to be released, depleting nearly 50% of our reserve. This isn't sustainable, its at a 40 year low, what what is gonna happen when we decide to refill the reserve? Prices back way up of course.

If he wants credit, he should at the very least, get things back to where they were prior to him getting elected, get us independent of foreign oil again, and really, get us in a BETTER spot then when he took office. As it is prices are still up about DOUBLE and we went from being independent from foreign oil to being deeply dependant on it, in about a year a  half. Why does he deserve credit?

ch.gif

I remember when gas was over $4 back in '08 (and regularly above $3 onward).... there is nothing is new under the sun: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/floridas-gas-prices-drop-slightly-after-shattering-14-year-record-high/2712785/

People who beotch about cheap gas really irk me especially when they splurge on the latest flat screen TVs, watches, phones, etc. Is an additional $30 per tank really going to bankrupt a normal household? Sounds just like another Fox talking point.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

People who beotch about cheap gas really irk me especially when they splurge on the latest flat screen TVs, watches, phones, etc. Is an additional $30 per tank really going to bankrupt a normal household? Sounds just like another Fox talking point.

So your argument is that the lower class shouldn't be able to enjoy things like modern TV, watches, and phone? What about affordable housing? Obviously, the more people have to spend on gas, the less they can afford for housing, leading to more homelessness. Its so disingenuous to call high energy prices a talking point

18 hours ago, aent said:

I'm sure he'll start to get full credit  if he can get back to where Trump left is. Here's the chart of gas prices under Biden, up to TODAY. On top of that, he's accomplished this by digging deep into our strategic petroleum reserve, releasing more of it then anyone else, ever. He inherited the reserve with 650 million barrels, and to bring prices down, almost 300 million barrels have been authorized to be released, depleting nearly 50% of our reserve. This isn't sustainable, its at a 40 year low, what what is gonna happen when we decide to refill the reserve? Prices back way up of course.

If he wants credit, he should at the very least, get things back to where they were prior to him getting elected, get us independent of foreign oil again, and really, get us in a BETTER spot then when he took office. As it is prices are still up about DOUBLE and we went from being independent from foreign oil to being deeply dependant on it, in about a year a  half. Why does he deserve credit?

ch.gif

Funny, I have NEVER seen/heard ANYONE on the right mention the great economic conditions Trump had handed to him on a silver platter by the departing President Obama, so that all he had to do was just sit back and not screw things up. 

But it can be argued that his tepid-at-best, non-response to COVID added significantly to the rise in prices on everything which we only began seeing after he was out of office. 

The petroleum reserves are there for emergency situations and I'd say this counts as an economic emergency.

Good job, Mr. President. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aent said:

So your argument is that the lower class shouldn't be able to enjoy things like modern TV, watches, and phone? What about affordable housing? Obviously, the more people have to spend on gas, the less they can afford for housing, leading to more homelessness. Its so disingenuous to call high energy prices a talking point

During times when the cost of necessities rise drastically, it's up to heads of households with limited incomes to tighten their belts and make do with their older luxury items.

If you've got money to spend on expensive new phones and bigger, more sophisticated TV's and flashy bling, you have no room to piss and moan about how the President is responsible for your money problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Funny, I have NEVER seen/heard ANYONE on the right mention the great economic conditions Trump had handed to him on a silver platter by the departing President Obama, so that all he had to do was just sit back and not screw things up. 

But it can be argued that his tepid-at-best, non-response to COVID added significantly to the rise in prices on everything which we only began seeing after he was out of office. 

The petroleum reserves are there for emergency situations and I'd say this counts as an economic emergency.

Good job, Mr. President. 

I think you don't see anyone complimenting Obama for great economic conditions because he led the Great Recession. His policies likely extended the recession and made the suffering go on for a pro longed period of time. It just makes no sense to give Obama credit for that, but plenty on both sides do blame Bush for having a weak economy when he turned it over to Obama.

I'm not saying Biden shouldn't have used to the emergency reserves, he is right to do that (nobody said not to), but at this point, the problem isn't solved, we're expending emergency resources to slow a disaster in progress, and we're running out of those resources with no plan or ability to replenish them under his leadership. Its not sustainable to lower gas prices forever by digging into the reserves. What happens when we run out? Or we realize that we need to be ready for war and need to build up our reserves? We'll be at $6 or $7 a gallon in no time! At current consumption rates, we have about a year left of emergency supply... some credit for getting us back where we were will be due only AFTER he gets us back to where we were, before the crisis (that he created, no less) started.

11 minutes ago, aent said:

I think you don't see anyone complimenting Obama for great economic conditions because he led the Great Recession. His policies likely extended the recession and made the suffering go on for a pro longed period of time. It just makes no sense to give Obama credit for that, but plenty on both sides do blame Bush for having a weak economy when he turned it over to Obama.

I'm not saying Biden shouldn't have used to the emergency reserves, he is right to do that (nobody said not to), but at this point, the problem isn't solved, we're expending emergency resources to slow a disaster in progress, and we're running out of those resources with no plan or ability to replenish them under his leadership. Its not sustainable to lower gas prices forever by digging into the reserves. What happens when we run out? Or we realize that we need to be ready for war and need to build up our reserves? We'll be at $6 or $7 a gallon in no time! At current consumption rates, we have about a year left of emergency supply... some credit for getting us back where we were will be due only AFTER he gets us back to where we were, before the crisis (that he created, no less) started.

Don't allow yourself to be manipulated by the oil & gas industry...

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/environment-and-energy/oil-gas-industry-stockpiled-drilling-leases-before-biden-pause

Reduced production = tighter supplies = higher gas prices = bigger profits. 

On 7/25/2022 at 4:38 PM, aent said:

ch.gif

We can't compare when he took office since Covid really changed the economy. 

Oil is sold on a global basis, so while energy independence sounds great, it will not have a huge impact. 

We also have a refining capacity issue. We could drill all we want but someone needs to refine it. 

If I could advise Biden to do anything, it would be to stop telling oil companies you they will be put out of business. And work to increase more nuclear facilities. 

The DeVos clan is blowing up Republican politics in Michigan. It turns out they’re as bad at intraparty politics as they have been at running a basketball team for the past decade.

The good news is that it’s making the state winnable for Democrats in a tough midterm season. My thanks to the DeVoses, a solid example of the Peter Principle in action!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/30/us/politics/michigan-primary-governor-trump.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

Another thought to ponder - ever wonder why the supposedly Democratic mayor of a very blue city is so deep in the pocket of these folks?

Edited by spenser1058

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The DeVos clan is blowing up Republican politics in Michigan. It turns out they’re as bad at intraparty politics as they have been at running a basketball team for the past decade.

The good news is that it’s making the state winnable for Democrats in a tough midterm season. My thanks to the DeVoses, a solid example of the Peter Principle in action!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/30/us/politics/michigan-primary-governor-trump.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

Another thought to ponder - ever wonder why the supposedly Democratic mayor of a very blue city is so deep in the pocket of these folks?

So she is trying to leverage him, but didn't she publicly try to get him to step down post 1/6... shouldn't you (we) applaud that?

13 hours ago, AmIReal said:

So she is trying to leverage him, but didn't she publicly try to get him to step down post 1/6... shouldn't you (we) applaud that?

She was part of the team discussing the 25th amendment and she stepped down after 1/6. I don't know if we can call her MAGA. Besides, the MAGA crowd really dislikes her and called her a RINO. 

Faux News has been insisting the repeal of Roe by SCOTUS wouldn’t motivate Democratic voters.

Kansas may suggest it’s time for a rethink:

“Polls had suggested that the measure could go either way, but Kansas is also a red state (albeit one with a Democratic governor). So what led to the somewhat surprising result? Motivated Democratic voters. Other than this ballot initiative, there weren’t many reasons for them to come out to vote in this primary. Yet Democratic turnout was up more than 60 percent compared to 2018, when Kansas Democrats were deciding who should be their gubernatorial nominee.”

From The Washington Post