The Republic Is Saved.

spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Faux News has been insisting the repeal of Roe by SCOTUS wouldn’t motivate Democratic voters.

Kansas may suggest it’s time for a rethink:

“Polls had suggested that the measure could go either way, but Kansas is also a red state (albeit one with a Democratic governor). So what led to the somewhat surprising result? Motivated Democratic voters. Other than this ballot initiative, there weren’t many reasons for them to come out to vote in this primary. Yet Democratic turnout was up more than 60 percent compared to 2018, when Kansas Democrats were deciding who should be their gubernatorial nominee.”

From The Washington Post 

GOP politicians continue to fight battles that even their own voters don't support.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, orange87 said:

GOP politicians continue to fight battles that even their own voters don't support.

Amen. It’s worth noting that Overland Park, KS, one of the fastest growing cities in the state, is increasingly Democratic. It’s possible KS may not be forever red. The stumbling block is Wichita (and the dreaded Kochs), the largest city, which remains a Republican redoubt. GOP- dominated cities are something of an anachronism, but Wichita’s one of the biggest with 400K folks.

Edited by spenser1058

Look at this huge piece coming out of Kansas:

‘Another thing that happened was that younger Kansans, who until now had little interest in state politics, came out in droves for this election. When I covered the “No” side’s election watch party Tuesday night, I ran into civic activist Jane Byrnes. She appeared in a “vote no” campaign ad and also served as a poll worker Tuesday. She was shocked by the sheer number of younger voters. “I’ve worked primaries before and hardly anybody voted,” she said. “And they were all old people.”’

From The Sentinel 

It’s easy to forget here in Florida as we’re inundated by aging boomers (full disclosure: I are one) from across the country that the rising Gen Y’s and post-boomers see things differently. Like younger voters in the past, they don’t always understand what a difference their vote can make, but once they get riled up they can really move the needle.

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, orange87 said:

I am sure they were just as shocked as everyone else. They don't know their own voters that well beyond the activists. 

On 8/3/2022 at 12:03 PM, spenser1058 said:

Amen. It’s worth noting that Overland Park, KS, one of the fastest growing cities in the state, is increasingly Democratic. It’s possible KS may not be forever red. The stumbling block is Wichita (and the dreaded Kochs), the largest city, which remains a Republican redoubt. GOP- dominated cities are something of an anachronism, but Wichita’s one of the biggest with 400K folks.

Koch, one has passed. They were/are libertarians and one of them ran on the LP ticket back in the 80's. Their focus has always been on the business side, less culture war stuff. 

Kansas was a blue state back in the day like Tennessee, West Virginia and Kentucky. Their voters are not rock ribbed conservatives like Alabama. 

Hey Republicans! As Tim Russert  would have said:

KANSAS

KANSAS 

KANSAS 

The home state of the Koch brothers!

Edited by spenser1058

“Republican lawmakers on Sunday successfully stripped a $35 price cap on the cost of insulin for many patients from the ambitious legislative package Democrats are moving through Congress this weekend, invoking arcane Senate rules to jettison the measure.”

It’s pretty simple, Republicans just don’t care if Americans die or are ruined trying not to.

Had enough?

From The Washington Post 

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“Republican lawmakers on Sunday successfully stripped a $35 price cap on the cost of insulin for many patients from the ambitious legislative package Democrats are moving through Congress this weekend, invoking arcane Senate rules to jettison the measure.”

It’s pretty simple, Republicans just don’t care if Americans die or are ruined trying not to.

Had enough?

From The Washington Post 

The sole purpose of the nu-GOP is to "own the libs" by just doing the opposite of whatever the Dems do. Then they just smirk and high-five each other and make memes.

• Like 1

The Inflation Reduction Act passes the Senate and now heads back to the House. As  Early Voting begins tomorrow in Orange and Osceola, it’s up to us  to help the heroes of the Republic and send the evildoers packing:

https://youtu.be/eN4ZlST1tGc

Remember, there wasn’t a single YES vote by the GOP.

Edited by spenser1058

Story of the day from the Little League World Series that we can all learn from. Bottom line, the kids are a’ight:

In ‘remarkable’ moment, Little Leaguer hugs opponent after scary pitch
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/09/little-league-sportsmanship-pitch-oklahoma-isaiah-jarvis/

From The Washington Post 

‘ “You see the mob takes the Fifth,” Trump said during a 2016 rally in Iowa. “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” The line was a jab at his opponent, Hillary Clinton, whose aides had invoked the Fifth in a congressional investigation. Trump used similar attack lines so many times that MSNBC was able to put together a compilation video earlier this year.’

From The New Yorker

Sooooooo… what does Cheetohead do in court today? He takes the Fifth Amendment!!  

Hypocrisy, thy name is GQP.

All politics aside, this man is just disgusting, something I believed long before he ever came down that escalator. I can imagine no world in which I would ever vote for someone like that or even purchase a product from him. It has nothing to do with his being a Republican (after all, he was once a Democrat, although thank God he’s not ours anymore).

Now, Little Marco is going to war with historians. I guess it makes sense, given how any one in the field with a lick of sense is going to excoriate Cheetohead and the GQP for trying to destroy our democracy.

But Marco is part of the GOP, so he has to be a hypocrite. As a commenter noted, do you suppose he called historians snobs before or after he voted down caps on the usurious prices being charged on insulin? Worst of all, as I know from relatives living in rural SC, what he did hurts red-staters as much or more than anyone else. 

Thankfully, there’s a much better alternative this November. Vote for the hometown favorite, Val Demings!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Now, Little Marco is going to war with historians. I guess it makes sense, given how any one in the field with a lick of sense is going to excoriate Cheetohead and the GQP for trying to destroy our democracy.

But Marco is part of the GOP, so he has to be a hypocrite. As a commenter noted, do you suppose he called historians snobs before or after he voted down caps on the usurious prices being charged on insulin? Worst of all, as I know from relatives living in rural SC, what he did hurts red-staters as much or more than anyone else. 

Thankfully, there’s a much better alternative this November. Vote for the hometown favorite, Val Demings!

I'm one of the few people who believes that November isn't going to be a catastrophe for Dems. If the Dems lose the House or Senate, it won't be by much. I still think the Dems can control one or both chambers.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I'm one of the few people who believes that November isn't going to be a catastrophe for Dems. If the Dems lose the House or Senate, it won't be by much. I still think the Dems can control one or both chambers.

The Senate looks like a decent shot. The weird part is that. even if we held the House (which will be hard due to recent gerrymandering in states like Florida), I don’t know how well we’d do with Nancy stepping down. She’s been an incredible Speaker (generally considered in the top tier after WWII), but she hasn’t really left a solid heir behind her. It will be a challenge. 

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Senate looks like a decent shot. The weird part is that. even if we held the House (which will be hard due to recent gerrymandering in states like Florida), I don’t know how well we’d do with Nancy stepping down. She’s been an incredible Speaker (generally considered in the top tier after WWII), but she hasn’t really left a solid heir behind her. It will be a challenge. 

Hakeem Jeffries seems to be the logical choice as Pelosi's replacement. She'll leave big shoes to fill, but I think he'll do a fine job.

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You might be the first person I've ever heard of that likes Nancy.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:32 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

You might be the first person I've ever heard of that likes Nancy.

The far right (the fact she’s been the wingnuts’ favorite boogeyperson for years tells you a lot) and far left can’t stand Nancy, (although even AOC has remarked on how effective she is) but if you read the Congressional experts and historians, they’ll tell you she’s been remarkably successful  (especially at counting votes). Given that leading Congress is a lot more like herding cats today than it was in LBJ’s or Speaker Sam Rayburn’s day, that’s saying something.

What’s also funny is how clueless Bernie Bro types forget that Nancy represents one of the bluest districts in the country and has been re-elected with no problem for decades. She’s huge on human rights as well. 

UPDATE: As it happens, EJ Dionne at the Washington Post mentions this in a column about the Democrats actually, you know, governing, while Cheetohead just flails and screams:

”…Biden didn’t do this alone, and the past month was also when Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) came into his own as a negotiator, facilitator and dealmaker. And House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), presiding over one of the narrowest partisan majorities in history, showed yet again why she is the most consequential House leader of the modern era.”

The week that was: Trump screams. Biden governs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/13/biden-accomplishments-overshadowed-trump/

Edited by spenser1058

Have you ever wondered how a laid back subtropical tourism state with lots of palm trees and military bases like Hawai’i could be so different politically from a laid back subtropical tourism state with lots of palm trees and military bases like Florida?

Reading about their primaries and folks jumping between races at the last minute, it was noted no one panicked because Biden had carried their districts by 30 points or something.

An irony is that when Alaska and Hawai’i joined the Union in 1959, everyone thought AK would be Democratic and HI would be Republican. Oops. So, Hawai’i sends Obama to DC and Alaska sends… Sarah Palin?

Oh, and Hawai’i gave us KZ! (we won’t talk about the Sockman, DG).

Edited by spenser1058

I’ve long had this dream to show up at a CPAC convention and, in the sea of white boys there, just belt out:

”There’s beauty untold and much to behold in the Wonderful World of COLOR”*

Maybe in drag but at 6’4 and with knobby knees I’ve never really been great as a drag queen *sigh*

* The song , by the Sherman Brothers, was the title theme to “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” on NBC from 1961 until after his death in late 1966. ( It came about because, after switching from ABC, Walt’s new network was owned by RCA, which was one of the earliest companies to sell color TV sets - yes, Virginia, until I was 8, we made do with black and white).

https://youtu.be/eiwfFNxH-rQ

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1