The Republic Is Saved.

spenser1058

6 hours ago, jack said:

Yes it does because our system is so decentralized that it takes thousands of people around the country in hundreds of precincts to pull off rigging an election. I think you are overestimating the ability of these poll workers, elected officials ect. to pull off that kind of conspiracy. Our gov't can barely deliver the mail and they are supposed to rig an election? 

Not the entire GOP. Not as many as I would like to step up and be honest but there are a few honest brokers out there. 

Only a minority of people actually thought that. A few dishonest people in the media pushed that agenda but the idea was that Russian disinformation contributed to Trumps win. Still, only a minority.  

I'll agree with that.

There are some Repubs with high standards of honesty and integrity, but some of them  like McConnell and a few of the House Republicans who shilled for Trump during the impeachment (Jordan, Collins, Gaetz. etc) are just blatant partisans.

• 2 weeks later...

We apologize for endorsing U.S. Rep. Michael Waltz, who wants to overturn the election | Editorial

Luckily, saner minds prevailed in the Supreme Court. Florida should kick this guy to the dustbin of history where he belongs.
  • Like 1

A fun little fact - since there were no faithless electors this year, President-elect Biden received two more electoral votes in 2020 than The Orange One did in 2016.

JOEMENTUM!

Meanwhile, another one bites the dust. Attorney General Bill Barr will depart next week...

Update: there are two more electoral votes for Joe, not seven. Apparently, the other five came from HRC’s tally.

Edited by spenser1058

On 12/12/2020 at 12:59 PM, prahaboheme said:

We apologize for endorsing U.S. Rep. Michael Waltz, who wants to overturn the election | Editorial

Luckily, saner minds prevailed in the Supreme Court. Florida should kick this guy to the dustbin of history where he belongs.

What about essentially every single Democrat who wanted to overturn the 2016 election? Should they be "kicked to the dustbin of history" as well?

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Add the Electoral College to the “conspiracy” - California’s 55 votes just put president-elect Biden over 270 electoral votes.

The USA has “JOEMENTUM”!

Well the Democrats are the ones who want to abolish the electoral college because it's (wait for it)... "racist."

3 minutes ago, orange87 said:

What about essentially every single Democrat who wanted to overturn the 2016 election? Should they be "kicked to the dustbin of history" as well?

Apples and oranges.

You didn't see President Obama or Hillary Clinton filing silly, ridiculous and baseless lawsuits. 

You didn't hear of electors or election officials being threatened with violence.

There weren't violent clashes with the police of the type that happened in DC over the weekend when throngs of Trump supporters got violent.

And Russia didn't try to help Biden by interfering on his behalf in the form of spamming social media with negative rumors about his opponent, as happened in 2016 when the Russians worked on behalf of Trump against Hillary Clinton.

Not even close to the same thing.

Well, (unlike the classless Democrats) Joe Biden IS my President, because I'm not an adult baby. I wish President-elect Biden well, and I hope he does this country proud. Because, unlike the America hating adult babies, I don't want America to fail just to make the President look bad because I didn't vote for him. I hope President-elect Biden's ideas are properly vetted in a marketplace of ideas, however, I hope Biden isn't obstructed for the sake of obstruction like the Democrats did with Trump. Good luck President-elect Biden. You WILL be my President starting this January, and I hope you govern with honesty, integrity, with unity for all Americans, and America's best interest at heart. Ditto to VP-elect Harris, as there's a chance she could be President in the near future.

I'd also like to give Biden credit for (at least appearing) to want to reach across the aisle and extend an olive branch to the people who didn't vote for him. I believe I read that he will have a position in his administration dedicated to working WITH his political opponents. We'll see if that goes anywhere, but at least it appears to have good intent behind it if it's sincere.

Edited by orange87
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Well, (unlike the classless Democrats) Joe Biden IS my President, because I'm not an adult baby. I wish President-elect Biden well, and I hope he does this country proud. Because, unlike the America hating adult babies, I don't want America to fail just to make the President look bad because I didn't vote for him. I hope President-elect Biden's ideas are properly vetted in a marketplace of ideas, however, I hope Biden isn't obstructed for the sake of obstruction like the Democrats did with Trump. Good luck President-elect Biden. You WILL be my President starting this January, and I hope you govern with honesty, integrity, with unity for all Americans, and America's best interest at heart. Ditto to VP-elect Harris, as there's a chance she could be President in the near future.

I sometimes wonder if you actually mean what comes out . I mean, yes, I wanted Trumps agenda to fail because I think it was not a good agenda. It is absurd to assume I want America to fail or that I am an "America hating baby". Seriously...

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

Oh puh - LEASE.

First of all, Biden is actually an experienced government leader having been a US Senator for decades and having been VP for eight years.

What was Trump? A TV reality show host and a NY shyster.

And as I just pointed out.... Trump received and willingly accepted help from the Russian govt to get elected. That in itself is a legitimate reason to call him "Not my President".

And lastly, you talk about the Democrats supposedly obstructing Trump, I have pointed out here before the two public comments made by the GOP leadership at the time (McConnell and Boehner) about how the main concern of the Republicans in the Senate would be to make sure Obama was a one term President and how in the House, they were going to do everything they could to obstruct anything Obama attempted to do.

Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/10/the-gops-no-compromise-pledge-044311

Don't even try to talk to me about the Dems obstructing Trump.

It's pure BS.

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

I'd also like to give Biden credit for (at least appearing) to want to reach across the aisle and extend an olive branch to the people who didn't vote for him. I believe I read that he will have a position in his administration dedicated to working WITH his political opponents. We'll see if that goes anywhere, but at least it appears to have good intent behind it if it's sincere.

Are you ok? Should we call a life line?

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Almost 400 of the 538 electors have voted and so far no faithless electors.

It seems SCOTUS nipped that little problem in the bud earlier this year, thank goodness. 

Technically, the SCOTUS decision only applied to the three states that had faithless electors in 2016. The overall impact is that states could force electors to follow their state votes but it is up to the states. 

16 hours ago, orange87 said:

Well the Democrats are the ones who want to abolish the electoral college because it's (wait for it)... "racist."

That's just a minority of fools that think it is racist. Most want to because they feel it is undemocratic and have been banging the drums since the 2000 election went to GW's. 

16 hours ago, orange87 said:

The GOP will do their best to make Biden unsuccessful like Trump and Obama before him, Bush before, etc. There is no incentive for the opposing party to help unless they must. Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect more of the same as it relates to policy. Thankfully, Biden does not seem to want to be a unitary executive like Trump and Obama (who knew better). 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! Mayor Pete to be nominated for DOT Secretary, according to The Washington Post:

Biden to name Pete Buttigieg as transportation secretary
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/biden-transportation-secretary/2020/12/15/cf1b7456-3a41-11eb-98c4-25dc9f4987e8_story.html

Very random nomination... Does Pete have experience w/logistics, transportation, etc.?? The article states, "Some transportation experts have raised questions about Buttigieg’s lack of experience in the nitty-gritty, often-dense realm of federal transportation policy."

You already know how I feel about people being handed positions... I don't like it when the Right does it either (Betsy Devos, Ben Carson, etc.).

1 minute ago, nite owℓ said:

Very random nomination... Does Pete have experience w/logistics, transportation, etc.?? The article states, "Some transportation experts have raised questions about Buttigieg’s lack of experience in the nitty-gritty, often-dense realm of federal transportation policy."

You already know how I feel about people being handed positions... I don't like it when the Right does it either (Betsy Devos, Ben Carson, etc.).

First of all, Pete is a brainiac who immerses himself in whatever he’s doing.

Second, he was a strong-mayor for eight years who was very hands on with South Bend issues. I’m assuming he has some knowledge from that experience alone.

The bottom line is Joe Biden believes in what government can do and that it has to be run competently. He’s not the sort to put folks into a job if they can’t do it.  If the nomination is successful, I have no doubt Pete would grow right into the job.

Just now, spenser1058 said:

First of all, Pete is a brainiac who immerses himself in whatever he’s doing.

Second, he was a strong-mayor for eight years who was very hands on with South Bend issues. I’m assuming he has some knowledge from that experience alone.

The bottom line is Joe Biden believes in what government can do and that it has to be run competently. He’s not the sort to put folks into a job if they can’t do it.  If the nomination is successful, I have no doubt Pete would grow right into the job.

I don't care if he's a brainiac. I'm sure there are a number of experienced Transportation veterans who can bring their skills and keen knowledge to the table. When you are appointed to the highest levels of government, you'd better have some experience. Now is not the time for On The Job training because at that level, it's too late. Ben Carson is no dunce either, he was a neurosurgeon (placed in charge of the Department of Housing & Urban Development) - what's your point??

I come from a different world, but I highly doubt you'd go to a hospital where the Head of the Surgery/Medicine Dept was someone who had a background in Hospitality. If that was going on and you were privy to it, I hope you'd run for the hills. Lack of experience has consequences.

23 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

See Ray LaHood. Mayor Pete is a political hire. I don't think this is the right position  for him but there is precedent. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

See Ray LaHood. Mayor Pete is a political hire. I don't think this is the right position  for him but there is precedent. 

OK, Al Gore is a journalist by training. He is nevertheless considered the grand poobah of climate issues. That’s simply impossible, right?

Nope. If someone is bright and has an interest in the role, they can be quite proficient at it.

Think about all the transportation issues Buddy has worked on as mayor, including road and Lynx budgets. He is also on the boards of GOAA and CFX. South Bend also has a strong-mayor form of government so I assume Pete would have similar experience.

In any event, there are thousands of actual engineers and other professionals he can call on at DOT for expertise.

Let’s not forget a cabinet secretary IS a political job. He or she is the one cajoling the president and Congress for the funds required and working with local elected officials to get them to go along with DOT’s plans. 

Edited by spenser1058

17 minutes ago, jack said:

See Ray LaHood. Mayor Pete is a political hire. I don't think this is the right position  for him but there is precedent

Precedent doesn't make it right and LaHood's praise doesn't change my stance. The kind of mindset to write off experience as frivolous is simply appalling. Never going to convince me that experience does not come in handy even if only for political appointments. You still need someone who knows the ins and outs to iron out the kinks at lower levels and someone without experience will not have the ability to identify them. Sure, a fresh pair of eyes might help but an old broom knows the corners. I'll say it again and leave it at that: A lack of experience has consequences.

Edited by nite owℓ

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

OK, Al Gore is a journalist by training. He is nevertheless considered the grand poobah of climate issues. That’s simply impossible, right?

Nope. If someone is bright and has an interest in the role, they can be quite proficient at it.

Think about all the transportation issues Buddy has worked on as mayor, including road and Lynx budgets. He is also on the boards of GOAA and CFX boards. South Bend also has a strong-mayor form of government so I assume he would have similar experience.

In any event, there are thousands of actual engineers and other professionals he can call on at DOT for expertise.

Let’s not forget a cabinet secretary IS a political job. He or she is the one cajoling the president and Congress for the funds required and working with local elected officials to get them to go along with DOT’s plans. 

Where was this energy with Betsy DeVos?? Her actions had no snowballing consequences for public education, eh?