The Republic Is Saved.

spenser1058

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Let's be fair here. When Trump was leading in those four or so states that Biden miraculously ended up winning because they kept *cough* "finding votes," resulting in Biden winning the Presidency despite losing Florida and Ohio. The Democrats tried to frame it as "every sacred vote must be counted for the sake of all that is good and holy." You called us conspiracy theorists for merely thinking that's awfully fishy. But when Trump tries to do exactly what the Democrats did... "find votes" oh sorry... "make sure every sacred vote is counted" then and only then do you suddenly see it as fishy. What Trump did is bad and fishy too. But I can't take anyone seriously at all when they show such blatant hypocrisy. Both parties are equally corrupt (hint: they're on the same team) and that the R and D are to create the illusion of choice. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is a fool.

I'm ready for Biden. He's our next President. But you look like a retard if you are now claiming election rigging is impossible after we spent the last four years getting beaten over the head with schizophrenic bonkers lunatic top secret Russian agent conspiracy theories. All I'm saying is be fair and consistent. Or don't. Whatever.

That came from a small section of the left. Therein lies the problem. Instead of patting theirwackadoodles on the head and sending them to their rooms, the GOP made one of their wingnuts president and the rest of the party aided and abetted him. Don’t act like anything approaching this level happened on the left because it didn’t.

For the record, you can go back to election night 2016 here on UP and see my post congratulating President-elect Trump.

This is not new. Dirty tricksters in the GOP like Roger Stone go back to the Nixon administration. The GOP was teaching dirty tricks in CR’s and YR’s back when I was in school. I know because I was a member. When I switched over to YD’s, that wasn’t even a thing. Yep, I was gobsmacked.

Of all the places in the country the patron saint of the GOP could have announced his campaign for president, where did he pick? Philadelphia, MS. Never heard of it? The dog whistle crowd sure has. It was where three Freedom Riders were brutally murdered in the ‘60’s while trying to register Black voters.

Nope, it ain’t equal on both sides so don’t pretend it is. When a president tries to go all Goodfellas to change a decided election, that’s a bridge too far. Compare that to Al Gore’s concession in 2000 and the fact he shut down protests in Congress when some tried to protest. Yep, his own election. Joe Biden did the same thing as VP in 2016 to confirm Trump.

Nope, there’s an entire magnitude of difference here.

23 minutes ago, orange87 said:

When Trump was leading in those four or so states that Biden miraculously ended up winning because they kept *cough* "finding votes," resulting in Biden winning the Presidency despite losing Florida and Ohio

The probability that this was going to happen was well known and documented prior to the election. Every news source I read was discussing how the evening was going to play out. Google "red mirage" or "blue shift". Remember Trump was telling his voters not to vote early and the Dems were exhorting theirs to vote early.  Much of the confusion was brought on by the PA, WI and MI State legislators- by the limits they placed on when votes could be counted. Republicans voted on election day, but Democrats voted early and by mail- so their votes were counted after the close of polls. It really is not shocking or anyone "finding votes" it is just simple turnout. It should surprise no one that in '20 Trump lost states that he was not expected to win 4 years ago- this year they reverted to their norm. Just like it should surprise no one Trump won FL since it has been a Republican state for most of the past 20+ years.

39 minutes ago, orange87 said:

But I can't take anyone seriously at all when they show such blatant hypocrisy. Both parties are equally corrupt (hint: they're on the same team) and that the R and D are to create the illusion of choice. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is a fool.

It is hard for me to take seriously anyone who would allow themselves to fall into the "all on the same team" and "illusion of choice" camp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

That came from a small section of the left. Therein lies the problem. Instead of patting theirwackadoodles on the head and sending them to their rooms, the GOP made one of their wingnuts president and the rest of the party aided and abetted him. Don’t act like anything approaching this level happened on the left because it didn’t.

If by "small section on the left" you mean: 2016 Democrat Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton peddled the top secret Russian conspiracies. Democrat Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi peddled the top secret Russian conspiracies. Soon-to-be President Democrat Joe Biden peddled the top secret Russian conspiracies. The DNC didn't just pat theirwackadoodles on the head, the DNC spread their legs open for theirwackadoodles and yelled "HARDER!!!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Let's be fair here. When Trump was leading in those four or so states that Biden miraculously ended up winning because they kept *cough* "finding votes," resulting in Biden winning the Presidency despite losing Florida and Ohio. The Democrats tried to frame it as "every sacred vote must be counted for the sake of all that is good and holy." You called us conspiracy theorists for merely thinking that's awfully fishy. But when Trump tries to do exactly what the Democrats did... "find votes" oh sorry... "make sure every sacred vote is counted" then and only then do you suddenly see it as fishy. What Trump did is bad and fishy too. But I can't take anyone seriously at all when they show such blatant hypocrisy. Both parties are equally corrupt (hint: they're on the same team) and that the R and D are to create the illusion of choice. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is a fool.

I'm ready for Biden. He's our next President. But you look like a retard if you are now claiming election rigging is impossible after we spent the last four years getting beaten over the head with schizophrenic bonkers lunatic top secret Russian agent conspiracy theories. All I'm saying is be fair and consistent. Or don't. Whatever.

You really must not pay very close attention to what's going on in the world if you think that they just "kept... finding votes".

The reason why Biden caught up to then surpassed Trump's vote count, was because most of the Democrat voters sent their ballots in by mail while most of the Republicans voted in person and the mail in ballots were counted last.

That was thoroughly explained several times in the press and media.

There's nothing fishy or complicated about it.

And in many/most/all the states where Trump is claiming voter fraud, the election officials as well as state elected officials are Republicans.

If they were going to cheat, they'd have cheated in favor of their own party.

For you to not understand that AND.... attempt to equate or conflate that with Trump's blatant, illegal and unconstitutional attempt to pressure a state elected official to go and commit the same kind of fraud he's lying about the Democrats having committed, just shows that you are not qualified to carry on a rational discussion on he subject of politics and should probably stick to talking about new restaurants opening around town.

And one last thing.... if fake ballots were suspiciously "found" and they favored Biden, how did all those down ticket Republicans manage to do so well?

Don't you think that whoever marked those "fake" ballots would have also cast "fake" votes for the other Dems on the ballot?

Think, son. Think!!!!

56 minutes ago, orange87 said:

If by "small section on the left" you mean: 2016 Democrat Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton peddled the top secret Russian conspiracies. Democrat Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi peddled the top secret Russian conspiracies. Soon-to-be President Democrat Joe Biden peddled the top secret Russian conspiracies. The DNC didn't just pat theirwackadoodles on the head, the DNC spread their legs open for theirwackadoodles and yelled "HARDER!!!"

And the nation's top intelligence officials and law enforcement agencies "peddled" the same "conspiracies".

Just admit it.... you're a Trump cultist and as such, you spout whatever nonsense he programs you to.

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

And one last thing.... if fake ballots were suspiciously "found" and they favored Biden, how did all those down ticket Republicans manage to do so well?

That's a very valid point and a convincing argument. Thank you for bettering me with new perspective on this topic.

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

And the nation's top intelligence officials and law enforcement agencies "peddled" the same "conspiracies".

Just admit it.... you're a Trump cultist and as such, you spout whatever nonsense he programs you to.

You actually believe everything our intelligence agencies do is ethical, truthful and well-intentioned? Yeesh!

Edited by orange87

12 minutes ago, orange87 said:

That's a very valid point and a convincing argument. Thank you for bettering me with new perspective on this topic.

You actually believe everything our intelligence agencies do is ethical, truthful and well-intentioned? Yeesh!

I believe they are, for the most part, honest patriotic public servants.

Just because they might pull shady tricks against our enemies (who do the same things to us) does not mean that they'd do something like falsely accuse an American POTUS of collusion with a rival, competitor nation for no discernable reason.

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Looks like the Dems just took the Senate. Now a good chunk of my laundry list of policy items will likely be implemented.

I think there are still a lot of outstanding votes  to be counted, so let's not rush in here. However, I'd like to point out that using Trump logic we should stop counting now and declare the winner. Polls are closed, no need to keep going. Isn't that the same view his campaign had of 11/4...?

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Warnock won —

Osseff leads and likely to a win.

Why is Georgia now a purple state when Florida continues to trend red? 

Stacey Abrams has reinvigorated the Georgia Democratic Party, Atlanta’s Hispanic voters  have a lower percentage of Cuban-Americans (and less impact by Venezuelan politics) and Georgia doesn’t have nearly as many midwestern retirees flooding the state (aka The Villages effect).

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Ain’t Georgia just an old sweet song? I’m adding Savannah and Macon to my list of retirement cities now that the Peach State is going blue!

The Grand Opera House is a fantastic venue for touring Broadway productions. I was randomly in Macon for work years ago and was able to see the Book of Mormon there. The acoustics are incredible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

The Grand Opera House is a fantastic venue for touring Broadway productions. I was randomly in Macon for work years ago and was able to see the Book of Mormon there. The acoustics are incredible.

I have several relatives in Macon. For such an unheralded little town, there’s an amazing amount of preservation going on.

”Make it...Macon!”

I'm not sure why the "powers that be" seemingly did not plan for this... almost no contingencies in place despite numerous public announcements from that group.

Also interesting to see no rubber bullets flying, no groups of people getting shoved onto the floor or beaten with batons by police. :ermm:

White glove treatment at its finest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm not sure why the "powers that be" seemingly did not plan for this... almost no contingencies in place despite numerous public announcements from that group.

Also interesting to see no rubber bullets flying, no groups of people getting shoved onto the floor or beaten with batons by police. :ermm:

White glove treatment at its finest.

Straight white Republican males can be trusted, don’t ya know. It’s all us other riff-raff that are the problem.

They stormed the Michigan Capitol and, nothing. They tried to kidnap the Michigan governor and, nothing. They storm the US Capitol and fire shots in the chamber and, nothing. No unmarked vans pulling people randomly off the streets either .

Peaceful protests in a park or on the streets by BLM men and women and tear gas and rubber bullets everywhere.

Interesting.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Straight white Republican males can be trusted, don’t ya know. It’s all us other riff-raff that are the problem.

They stormed the Michigan Capitol and, nothing. They tried to kidnap the Michigan governor and, nothing. They storm the US Capitol and fire shots in the chamber and, nothing. No unmarked vans pulling people randomly off the streets either .

Peaceful protests in a park or on the streets by BLM men and women and tear gas and rubber bullets everywhere.

Interesting.

Peaceful protests?

I recall plenty of looting and burning down buildings that housed small businesses.

I'm in no way attempting to justify this nonsense either.

These lunatics and the BLM rioters are simply opposite sides of the same warped coin.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

Word on the street is that Pence invoked the DC national guard while Trump sat in the West Wing getting his twitter account banned.

Has the 25th amendment been set into motion?

Apparently, Pence is de facto running the government at this point. It has been suggested The Donald may not be totally coherent at the moment.

Assuming that’s true, we have a situation not unlike the end of Wilson’s second term (Edith took the reins, supposedly) or Nixon’s final days when the staff kept him on a tight leash. 

Although the GOP deserves the negative publicity a 25th amendment removal would engender, it’s probably better for the country just to let Pence  slide through the last two weeks. 

Anyone who paid any attention to Cheetohead’s life should have known better. If they voted for this idiot, it’s on them. We’ll see if they get their act together and demand their party do better.

Of course, many of the anti-Trumpers have aided and abetted this nonsense in the GOP going back decades. This is a culmination of bad faith, not a recent malignancy. Heaven knows, I saw it going downhill in 1983 and switched parties then.

Too many Republicans believe the ends always justify the means Today, we saw graphic proof there’s a price to be paid for that thinking.

• Like 1

A lot of this can be tied to what society in general has become.

We've become a nation largely  comprised of crass jerks who see nothing wrong in what was once considered abhorrent behavior,

Nobody respects anyone else anymore. 

Especially people they don't know personally.

I think the entertainment industry has helped to steer us in that direction as well.

• Like 1