Florida

• 1 month later...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Update: 8.28.06

SonyShots005.jpg

• Crews are still working on these things believe it or not! I figured they would be done by now. I suppose the builder is paying extra close attention to detail here. I was told long ago that all were sold, but now we see FOR SALE signs all over them. I'd be interested in knowing how much it would cost me to buy a whole unit (all three floors).

Thanks for the shots TJ. If I bought one of those, I'd prefer one of the end units for less noise and more light, however I prefer the look of the middle units w/out the spindly columns.

Upper 200K is cheaper than anything comparable in Tennyson right? And how does it line up w/those in the big a/c unit they call Gameday?

Thanks for the shots TJ. If I bought one of those, I'd prefer one of the end units for less noise and more light, however I prefer the look of the middle units w/out the spindly columns.

Upper 200K is cheaper than anything comparable in Tennyson right? And how does it line up w/those in the big a/c unit they call Gameday?

The Big AC Unnit they call Gameday! LOL! :lol: well Poonther are we Talking a two bedroom unit? 3 Bed Room unit? How many square feet?

In the big A/C they've got units going for a cool million at the top, right below the A/C!!!!

Well I was assuming The Cloisters were all 3 bedroom units, BUT after looking at the website, I see they will have 1bedroom units. How and where exactly will those 1bedroom units be?

The 3 bedrooms for this project do start from the high 200's. What does it cost you for a 3 bedroom in The Tennyson? The Plaza? and does G'day "the A/C unit" have 3 bedrooms?

• 3 months later...

December 9, 2006

The Cloisters

SonyShots032.jpg

Single Unit with Spiral Stair Case. This unit is 3 stories tall with Double Car Parking garage, office/recreational room, utility room, bathroom on ground floor, very spacious formal living room, dining room, well endowed kitchen on the second floor, and bedrooms on the third floor with laundry area. Very nice concept. I wish I had the interior pictures to share.

SonyShots031.jpg

Collective look at the 3 story lofts. Cosby has nothing on these!

:sick:SonyShots033.jpg

Yet another 3 story loft with the spiral stair case.

SonyShots034.jpg

These are ground floor office, or 900 sq.ft. 1 Br. units. Above are apartments. The parking for most units is located behind the building.

SonyShots035.jpg

Expansion Plans are underway.

I have been in these. The bottom floor is for commercial. The 2nd and 3rd is a condo and the top is like an effenciy appartment. All are really really small and not that imaginitive inside. I only like the location. Seems like alot of folks are being showed these units but looks like they are hard to sell.

I have been in these. The bottom floor is for commercial. The 2nd and 3rd is a condo and the top is like an effenciy appartment. All are really really small and not that imaginitive inside. I only like the location. Seems like alot of folks are being showed these units but looks like they are hard to sell.

• 2 months later...

The thing I really disliked about the cloisters was that they are condos rather then town homes in that you only own the inside of your unit. At the asking prices of near 400,000 that's a bit rediculous. The construction work seemed to be decent but not all that great either. On the top floor the rooms lost some usable space because of the roof, but other than that they weren't too bad. Like Mracca I feel that they could have been designed a bit better.

The biggest issue I have is that the bonus room on the ground floor is a bit useless it should have been made into a suite. Also as I mentioned above that on of the bedrooms on the top floor has those beems jutting into it so it's shaped strangely and space is wasted. It seems the Duval Square Deveopment remedies the issue of the bonus room. I actually liked the Cloisters my parents on the other disliked it.

• 8 months later...
The biggest issue I have is that the bonus room on the ground floor is a bit useless it should have been made into a suite. Also as I mentioned above that on of the bedrooms on the top floor has those beems jutting into it so it's shaped strangely and space is wasted. It seems the Duval Square Deveopment remedies the issue of the bonus room. I actually liked the Cloisters my parents on the other disliked it.

I'm so very frustrated with the pace at which the Gaines Street Corridore is moving. Until the city gets the road, sidewalks, streetscapes etc.. completed we arent going to see much private investment.

Regarding the Cloisters- Phaze 2 is well underway. Basically the same as phaze 1. We turned the ground floor of the St. Francis side into a true bedroom. That floor is set up as a home office in phaze 1- Against my best wishes but thats what happens when you let realtors get involved who don't undersatnd how a building relates to its neighborhood.

Regarding price- The pricing of Cloisters is a value. All things considered. Especially compared to the highrise condos down town. But they are differnet beasts from Cloisters. You have to look at price per square foot for new condo style units. The units with garages are different from the commercial units, and different from the flats. etc.. The price per square foot for our units wont translate to price per square foot in condos on west side of town because the ammenities are differernt and the comparable sales are different per location. Besides everything is negotiable. The price per sqaure foot is determined by what the market will bear at any given time. Even if you get an appraisal from 3 different appraisors you'll get 3 different (hopefully simular) appraisals. Real Estate is highly subjective becuase the product and the consumer are subjective. You may not like the amenities in my units. I probably wont like the ammenities in yours- but the market I was selling too did like my buildings! I have sold about 95% of phaze 1. And I have sold 20% of phaze 2. Not all of phaze 1 is occupied. Several owners are holding them for speculation. While thats not what I wish would happen its better than having nitwit renters move in. What people do with their own property is none of my business. Unless they make it my business.

No you dont own your yard. But we encourage our residents to customize the little plot in front of their units. So far no one has. Condo living tends to appeal to people who don't want to bother with gardening. I like to tell people they give up their own yard for 3 parks, a civic center, and becoming pioneers of Tallahassees most eclectic- exciting neighborhood. Get involved and become active in the neighborhood and make it what you want it to be. Open the blinds, take walks, be a good neighbor, say hi to people. It does make a difference.

I never set out to build affordable housing. I set out to build a cool urban styled set of condos that would appeal to a market of folks who understand that living in an urban setting requires the resident to give up certain amenities like yards and large setbacks for another set of amenities like street scapes, parks, universities, urban enery, and lots of people. ( we call them friends and neighbors). You have to pay so much more for the land under the building that you cant come close to building affordable housing in All Saints. Your land costs eat up the 2% margins you hope to make when its finished. Its ok if I make a living too? I'm a local guy born here and grew up here who has been lucky enough to travel to some really great cities. I wanted to create a little part of Tallahassee that has some of the features I love about the cities I visit. Mostly tight urban neighborhoods that encourage people to get outside and enteract with one another. My god what a process construction can be! And we have the added layer of complexity of starting from scratch in an area that doesn't fit the criterea of what banks and realtors and investors are comfortable with. I've spent the last 8 years educating and arguing and demonstrating to staff, planners, architects and engineers that density and vertical construction are a good thing. And that some people really will live in the urban core. Its been a wild ride. I'm almost done in All Saints. There's no more land for sale at a reasonable price. The rest of its owned by families who cant even agree amoung themselves much less agree to sell at a reasonable price. I guess they plan on living a few more lifetimes. Cause thats what it will take for the actual sales price of new development to catch up to their asking prices. Theres this one family, "the Woodhams" who based their asking price of $500 on the fact that there are 5 brothers and sisters and each one wants $100K. The property measures 160'x80'. Thats 12800 sq.ft. Or $39 per sqft of land.

Anyways got to go.... Hope to meet some of you on Dec 7th at my house...starts 7pm.

Man that's tomorrow.

Two quick questions from me, Cobyguy. How do you design spaces that encourage a person to go outside and engage with their neighbors? Truly that's what I want from my next residence, and I'm just curious how to make it happen. I think if I were in the Cloisters, or somehwere downtown, I'd probably be outside all the time. I love the fact that you tell people when they buy at the cloisters they're trading their yard for 3 parks and a Civic Center. I think that's a great thought! :D

Hey Cobyguy: Just out of curiosity, since you're a developer in that area, what do you think of that run down set of condos by RR Square that recently sold for about $20K each? Are they getting fixed up in the ways you'd like to see? Did that have any impact on other local prices, or was it such a complete fluke that it didn't even make a ripple?

Archived