Capitol / Financial District / Shockoe Slip

whw53

20 hours ago, Icetera said:

Keep in mind any tower built in the counties is a tower NOT built in Richmond, NOT contributing to the urban dynamic, and NOT contributing taxes to the City.  In fact, the arena will now be drawing business away from the City while being less accessible to many of its residents.  While Raleigh's outer cores also do not contribute to the city skyline or urban dynamic, they at least are within Raleigh's massive city limits so they contribute financially and economically.

Thankfully, it is unlikely that residential towers will be built in either Libby Mill or Green City anytime soon.  If the Scott's Collection developer could not yet justify the rents needed to build an 11 story tower in the popular Scott's Addition, citing that the prices only make sense currently with views of the river, then it is unlikely people are going to pay high rents for views of highways with limited connectivity.  This makes filling out Manchester and Monroe Ward much more likely, as well as development in immediate proximity of the Pulse.  Hopefully the current collection of 12-15 story proposals is the beginning of some serious momentum upwards.

Most of the time on here I agree with you - I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.

For years I held by this mindset - that if it's built in Chesterfield, Henrico or Hanover - then the city somehow loses. It took me years to realize that this kind of zero-sum mentality is exactly one of the things that has held Richmond back during the last 50 years. Over time, I've come to look at things more holistically. Sure, that Manchester and Scott's Addition (among other parts of town) are booming helps - but i've come to understand that the larger the entire metro area becomes, the better the chances what has been happening -- the turnaround in the city -- will indeed happen. Of course, Richmond has to continuously step up to the plate and keep developers coming in. That it has happened organically over the last decade - that Richmond's population is now, in fact, booming, that residential development continues unabated throughout the city is indeed not merely the renaissance  but literally the resurrection of Richmond that I've waiting decades to see. Would I prefer to have projects such as a Green City take place in the city? Sure - but at the same time, I'm also cognizant that -- given the synergy the entire metro now has, a developer building residential towers at Libbie Mill does not necessarily preclude phenomenal growth in, say, Monroe Ward. If Green City comes to pass, it comes to pass. I no longer look at it as win-lose. If Henrico gets a project, Richmond doesn't lose. Why? The Richmond metro is starting to get big enough that growing the bigger picture actually can help the components of said picture grow as well. We're seeing it in action - live and in living color! May it continue and increase!

Indeed, Virginia's independent city status imposed upon municipalities held Richmond back. Sadly, it has not been able to grow the same way Baltimore and St. Louis - the two other major cities that are independent cities - have grown - yet interestingly, Richmond is now growing where as Baltimore and St. Louis both continue to lose population. Amazingly, if RPC projections are correct and Richmond hits a population of 340,000 by 2037 - we will have surpassed St. Louis, a city that was once the 8th largest in the nation. (1950 census). 

I'm greedy. I want all of these projects. I want towers in Libbie Mill. I want a "Green City" suburb - something distinct that is more common to such places as NOVA, Atlanta Charlotte, Raleigh and other metros. I want a forest of residential buildings in Monroe Ward. I want Manchester to fully become Richmond's Brooklyn. I want satellite 'cores' in Scott's Addition (north of the Acca yards), in Newtowne (a real 'Midtown') - I want every nook and cranny of the city filled with development. I want all of them. They aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 3:10 PM, I miss RVA said:

Most of the time on here I agree with you - I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.

For years I held by this mindset - that if it's built in Chesterfield, Henrico or Hanover - then the city somehow loses. It took me years to realize that this kind of zero-sum mentality is exactly one of the things that has held Richmond back during the last 50 years. Over time, I've come to look at things more holistically. Sure, that Manchester and Scott's Addition (among other parts of town) are booming helps - but i've come to understand that the larger the entire metro area becomes, the better the chances what has been happening -- the turnaround in the city -- will indeed happen. Of course, Richmond has to continuously step up to the plate and keep developers coming in. That it has happened organically over the last decade - that Richmond's population is now, in fact, booming, that residential development continues unabated throughout the city is indeed not merely the renaissance  but literally the resurrection of Richmond that I've waiting decades to see. Would I prefer to have projects such as a Green City take place in the city? Sure - but at the same time, I'm also cognizant that -- given the synergy the entire metro now has, a developer building residential towers at Libbie Mill does not necessarily preclude phenomenal growth in, say, Monroe Ward. If Green City comes to pass, it comes to pass. I no longer look at it as win-lose. If Henrico gets a project, Richmond doesn't lose. Why? The Richmond metro is starting to get big enough that growing the bigger picture actually can help the components of said picture grow as well. We're seeing it in action - live and in living color! May it continue and increase!

Indeed, Virginia's independent city status imposed upon municipalities held Richmond back. Sadly, it has not been able to grow the same way Baltimore and St. Louis - the two other major cities that are independent cities - have grown - yet interestingly, Richmond is now growing where as Baltimore and St. Louis both continue to lose population. Amazingly, if RPC projections are correct and Richmond hits a population of 340,000 by 2037 - we will have surpassed St. Louis, a city that was once the 8th largest in the nation. (1950 census). 

I'm greedy. I want all of these projects. I want towers in Libbie Mill. I want a "Green City" suburb - something distinct that is more common to such places as NOVA, Atlanta Charlotte, Raleigh and other metros. I want a forest of residential buildings in Monroe Ward. I want Manchester to fully become Richmond's Brooklyn. I want satellite 'cores' in Scott's Addition (north of the Acca yards), in Newtowne (a real 'Midtown') - I want every nook and cranny of the city filled with development. I want all of them. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I moreso want Virginia to rid of the independent city policy and re-establish Richmond as the county seat of Henrico (or a consolidation effort).

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Check this out - ownership behind LaDiff anchored bulding on 14th may be exploring partial redevelopment and\or conversion to multifamily. I've noticed a pattern where that Markham Planning consultancy of whom the principal is Lori Markham  is usually brought on when complicated zoning and\or significant plans are in the works. Generally, zoning confirmation letters are filed prior to sale and\or repurposing. I remeber hearing something about LaDiff in the local news but must've scrolled past.

123S14th_statement.jpg

123S14th_contacts.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hike said:

Noticed this RFP for architecture and engineering services to design a new 14 story state office building to replace the building at 703 E. Main Street, no timetable that I found.  This is early on as they are just now subitting for the design team, will be years before start probably  

703 E Main St - Google Maps.jpg

Attachment C - Dgs State Office Building _ Parking Deck Study Dated Jan 5_ 2021.pdf 3.94 MB · 8 downloads

Great find, Hike! For decades now, I've thought the legacy 3-story building at 7th & Main was a waste of perfectly good downtown real estate. Which agency has been in there - the VEC? Or the state Chamber of Commerce? I can't remember. Wait for the NIMBYs to kvetch about preserving the building because of its "outstanding 1950s architecture" (ugh - give me a break!) ... Hopefully the state will come through with a good tower there.  It will be a great addition to the skyline. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Every time I walk past that building, I envisioned it being replaced with a skyscraper.  Glad it maybe replaced.

I had to do a site visit about 3, 4 years ago in there for a minor renovation,  wow,  it's bad.  They never did the project,  thought it was a waste when budgeting it as it was so bad elsewhere I felt why even do this. The RFP just went out though dated January 2021.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 4

From the attachment that Hike provided, I've culled out the mockup (such as it is since there is no architectural work just yet) and the map location to show the footprint of the tower and the parking deck. Based on the information in the information sheet, the first floor would have a height of 17 feet - and the subsequent office floors (2 through 14) would be set at 13 feet each. Altogether, that would place the building at 186 feet tall. When we add in the box atop of the roof for mechanical equipment, etc., (and estimating that to be perhaps 15 to 18 or so feet, based on scaling in this mockup, then the stem-to-stern height of the building would be roughly 200 feet (I'm guessing anywhere from 199 to 202-ish depending on how large/tall the roof box is). Since the tower will front E. Main Street, it will have at least some prominence on the skyline (as opposed to being built down the hill fronting Cary Street, which according to this spec sheet is just over 31 feet lower than the elevation at Main Street).

That said, I suggest we might want to add this project to the spreadsheet we have that tracks building heights, height of elevation, and skyline prominence.

NewStateOfficeBuilding-1.jpg

NewStateOfficeBuilding-2.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

That said, I suggest we might want to add this project to the spreadsheet we have that tracks building heights, height of elevation, and skyline prominence.

Heh, I added this to mine yesterday under "Virginia Dept of General Services Building".  Prominence is around 319', placing it slightly taller than the Omni:

image.thumb.png.6f36242c2881b3e1a7d7c743a0f38b99.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Heh, I added this to mine yesterday under "Virginia Dept of General Services Building".  Prominence is around 319', placing it slightly taller than the Omni:

image.thumb.png.6f36242c2881b3e1a7d7c743a0f38b99.png

You are the man, good sir! That's the exact spreadsheet I was thinking about (I know we have a master project list here too - but this was the one I was thinking of.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In thinking about this nugget, perhaps this tower is the "surprise" announcement/find for the back half of 2021 about which the question was raised in the prognostication thread. You never know. There may be more - but this certainly is the front-runner for that award come year end.

• Like 2

I’m pretty excited about the prospects of a new building on Main Street.  Aside from the 6 story apartment building between 6th and 5th there hasn’t been a new building (or even a significant/appearance changing  renovation)  since 1993.   Main used to be the most impressive street downtown, now it is one of the most dated looking streets. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I’m pretty excited about the prospects of a new building on Main Street.  Aside from the 6 story apartment building between 6th and 5th there hasn’t been a new building (or even a significant/appearance changing  renovation)  since 1993.   Main used to be the most impressive street downtown, now it is one of the most dated looking streets. 

I like how on main the tall buildings create that quintessential city feel, tall buildings tight to the street,  creating shadows, darker at times by blocking the sun, wind gaps, etc. Agree, looking forward to a new building here too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I really liked the recent rehab of the little building at 8th and Main though!

4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

What is the 1 residential tower? 

Coupe:

It's this guy - on Broad Street in the western part of the Arts District (I forget which cross street specifically, but it's a couple of blocks west of Foushee) ... If this were ever built, it would easily be the tallest residential building in Richmond. One of the guys who was canvassing a particular architectural firm's potential project design list (was it whw53 who did the canvassing? I can't remember) - found this.

50586749_ScreenShot2021-01-01at10_26_48AM.png.fa6f732aa8f7b1687e7d34ed4eb512762.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1