Capitol / Financial District / Shockoe Slip

whw53

9 minutes ago, Icetera said:

This one is for "Whytestone Plaza" at 8th and Main on the SE corner versus SW that you are thinking of.  "Eighth and Main" is also up for renovation by Genesis.

This is good news.  I interned for a firm in that building eighteen years ago and it needed a renovation then.  Glad to see that it's finally happening.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Ahhhh - the old Ross Building. Gotcha! :tw_thumbsup:  Thanks for the clarification, Ice! 

Exterior Architecture - VA Commercial Advertising Photography Virginia  Beach Marketing

This has got to be the weirdest looking building.  Looks like an older concrete-facaded building ran into a more modern glass curtain-facaded building and got stuck together. Wonder what the plans are and I wonder if the plans include improving the look of the exterior?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This has got to be the weirdest looking building.  Looks like an older concrete-facaded building ran into a more modern glass curtain-facaded building and got stuck together. Wonder what the plans are and I wonder if the plans include improving the look of the exterior?

I've thought that for decades, my friend. Literally 7/8 of the building is a sleek, modern, 1960s "International Style" architectural cube - and the eastern side is ... ugh... something that on its own if an entire building had that kind of concrete facade wouldn't necessarily look too bad - but it just doesn't go with the really sleek looking dark-grey-glass curtain cube. Either way - I always liked the building - the "glass cube" always stood out as pretty cool looking.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but according to someone commenting on the bizsense facebook page there's 50 story buliding in the works next to dominion's new tower...

Ok, here’s my grain of salt, it’s a big grain, therefore it must be true just due to the size of the grain, hope there’s something to this, the center of the skyline would look awesome.

3BF2B787-F087-4556-955A-6C02C7DD693B.jpeg

Edited by Hike
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

This photo makes the building look pretty attractive, IMO.  It’s very sculptural. 
I don’t think it looks this good in person though.  The photo is pretty flattering :) 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but according to someone commenting on the bizsense facebook page there's 50 story buliding in the works next to dominion's new tower...

Yeah, do have a link to that particular comment?  I want to see it for myself. I don’t put too much stock into that comment, but who knows?!  I want it to be true!!

Yeah ... ummmmmm... no...

Folks, I would take it with the entire Morton's Salt processing facility in Chicago worth of salt. It was in the comments stream to the RBS story about the Hourigan announcement - and the poster hardly appears to be anyone even remotely close to authoritative. Plus, I believe @wrldcoupe4who has his CRE stethoscope finely tuned to the pulse of RVA developments has stated that he's seen nothing whatsoever to indicate anything of any notable size slated for the site of the former OJRP next to Dominion Tower downtown.

I wish folks wouldn't put up flat out BS posts like this on wide-reaching social media platforms. Obviously the poster is attempting to be sarcastic, facetious, etc., but holy wow - even as a "just a joke", this is not good.

Screenshot (2260).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Folks, I would take it with the entire Morton's Salt processing facility in Chicago worth of salt. It was in the comments stream to the RBS story about the Hourigan announcement - and the poster hardly appears to be anyone even remotely close to authoritative. Plus, I believe @wrldcoupe4who has his CRE stethoscope finely tuned to the pulse of RVA developments has stated that he's seen nothing whatsoever to indicate anything of any notable size slated for the site of the former OJRP next to Dominion Tower downtown.

I wish folks wouldn't put up flat out BS posts like this on wide-reaching social media platforms. Obviously the poster is attempting to be sarcastic, facetious, etc., but holy wow - even as a "just a joke", this is not good.

Screenshot (2260).png

even the profile pic tells me this is as fake as a counterfeit dollar bill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Screenshot (2260).png

I dug through and came up with the same synopsis.  Maybe he was confused by CoStar's 500' prominence and location was a bit off.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Maybe they’re going cut off the crown of the 17 story building because it’s not needed…no?

All the building mechanicals are up there though. I'm thinking they're probably reconfiguring something internally. The building will still have 18 actual floor plates - but perhaps they're only going to count 15 floors of living space. Maybe they're combining lower floors for retail/commercial. Hard to say, really. I doubt they'd be able to retrofit parking inside on the lower levels - idk, it's kinda weird actually.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:35 PM, whw53 said:

SUP filed today would remove or retrofit a 17 story office building at 801 E Main to a 15 story mixed use development. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/c724dd9b-5e1b-4180-9628-0f31fdbd0fbd?tab=moreinfo

This is directly across from 707 E Main which we know Genesis is also planning an office to multi-family conversion. 

More details released in today’s RBS:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/22/downtowns-wytestone-plaza-office-building-to-be-converted-into-apartments/

Love the announcement, but would love for them to improve the exterior. I get that some like it, but I still think I just looks weird. Either way, they are looking to turn this project pretty quickly - could see new tenants move in by next year!!  Now I want to see some movement on the other conversations previously announced in that area…and even cooler, the building of a new tower that Genesis is planning to build!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

More details released in today’s RBS:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/22/downtowns-wytestone-plaza-office-building-to-be-converted-into-apartments/

Love the announcement, but would love for them to improve the exterior. I get that some like it, but I still think I just looks weird. Either way, they are looking to turn this project pretty quickly - could see new tenants move in by next year!!  Now I want to see some movement on the other conversations previously announced in that area…and even cooler, the building of a new tower that Genesis is planning to build!

I missed that the Dominion building across the street was being converted to apts as well.  That's good news for new apts but also dominion shedding buildings. Keeping alive my hope they sell off their riverfront HQ (making it a nice neighborhood accessible to all) and all other offices and replace them with that 2nd tower they had planned.

• Like 2

The article clearly states "The remaining 15 stories..."  Ding ding!

I say leave curtainwall in place but get rid of the white brick walls.  Perhaps wrap it with metal panels and incorporate that into a crown.  That way the crown looks like it extends down the building.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Not gonna happen with historic tax credits.

Having worked down there years ago and banking at Central Fidelity and using that branch some, I can’t remember ever seeing white brick, though there is some marble in the lobby of the atrium, not the bank, any brick exterior may only be visible from certain angles, at least I never saw it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

Having worked down there years ago and banking at Central Fidelity and using that branch some, I can’t remember ever seeing white brick, though there is some marble in the lobby of the atrium, not the bank, any brick exterior may only be visible from certain angles, at least I never saw it.

It's all but "hidden" at ground level - and is really visible only from a distance. The architect did a nice job with setbacks to tuck it in more-or-less out of view from the street.

• Like 2