Lat Purser Apartments (old Cannon Roofing site)

westsider28

Thought this deserved its own thread.  At their meeting this evening, the DRB gave preliminary approval to this project.  It will be part of the My Niche brand, and it's designed by FMK Architects (Lat Purser has used them on other projects).  The building is planned as 132 units, 3-floors on Kennedy and 4-floors on Union (due to site slope), and will have stoop entrances for all ground-floor units.  The parking going toward the Henry corner isn't ideal, but focusing on the Kennedy corner is the right move.  All-in-all, it looks like a solid development.  If all goes well, they hope to start construction by May 2021.  Screenshots from Zoom:

1777902422_lpapts2.JPG.87fd220a921fced64643882c870071d1.JPG

1786399210_lpapts7.JPG.ce12e84efda31270c037abf13c017f17.JPG

1011217595_lpapts5.JPG.b2b05bcc491cc79544feb72820e40dd3.JPG

834599274_lpapts6.JPG.92fb34d9165b25d6e30238d050d07bb1.JPG

781933_lpapts8.JPG.b9635ef24ad1c61e3c4b4503b4d42588.JPG

805055016_lpapts9.JPG.cd3bd949243e7f2bcb44f64850dab68e.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Awesome, this will be a big help to an area of downtown that well... needs some help! Looking forward to seeing this rise!

Agree.  This project could be the catalyst that helps revitalize the Union Street corridor and improve an ugly vacant and oddly shaped lot.  

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The street level could be A LOT better (ground floor units need to be at ground level), but overall it's not bad. I think apartments will do well in downtown. I also think that once these are full it will demonstrate a much stronger market for downtown living that will result in more momentum in terms of apartment construction. That, in turn, will make the existing condos more viable in the long run.

10 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The street level could be A LOT better (ground floor units need to be at ground level), but overall it's not bad. I think apartments will do well in downtown. I also think that once these are full it will demonstrate a much stronger market for downtown living that will result in more momentum in terms of apartment construction. That, in turn, will make the existing condos more viable in the long run.

The Urban Code actually requires elevation (2 feet min) for ground-floor residential entrances (stoops).  I agree that momentum is building for downtown living.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, westsider28 said:

The Urban Code actually requires elevation (2 feet min) for ground-floor residential entrances (stoops).  I agree that momentum is building for downtown living.

I am fully in favor of stoops, and I'm glad to see that the bottom floor has street access from each unit. I was looking at the first 2-3 renderings in that series you posted on Monday, and the walls are what jump out at me. The corner feels like a giant wall and what I assume is the Union St elevation feels like the wall gets a bit tall on the right side. IMO just feels like the whole back end could drop about 3-5 ft vertically and it would still work. Or you could raise it 2-3 feet and add a ground level on that end.

Oh, and what's up with that detention pond? Not a fan of that. I support green infrastructure and protecting watersheds, but detention ponds feel very suburban to me.

I realize it seems like I'm just complaining. I really do like this project, overall.

4 hours ago, Spartan said:

I am fully in favor of stoops, and I'm glad to see that the bottom floor has street access from each unit. I was looking at the first 2-3 renderings in that series you posted on Monday, and the walls are what jump out at me. The corner feels like a giant wall and what I assume is the Union St elevation feels like the wall gets a bit tall on the right side. IMO just feels like the whole back end could drop about 3-5 ft vertically and it would still work. Or you could raise it 2-3 feet and add a ground level on that end.

Oh, and what's up with that detention pond? Not a fan of that. I support green infrastructure and protecting watersheds, but detention ponds feel very suburban to me.

I realize it seems like I'm just complaining. I really do like this project, overall.

Yeah, the wall at the Union-Kennedy corner does seem a bit tall.  It's tricky to get all parts of the building to work well when there are elevation changes.

As for the detention pond, I think the City needs to reevaluate their stormwater regulations, because I agree that it hinders good urbanism.  I get that the ponds reduce flow into the sewer system during heavy rain events and help filter the water, but I feel like I don't see them in any other city.  Maybe permeable pavement or several smaller bioswales could be an alternative.

16 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Yeah, the wall at the Union-Kennedy corner does seem a bit tall.  It's tricky to get all parts of the building to work well when there are elevation changes.

As for the detention pond, I think the City needs to reevaluate their stormwater regulations, because I agree that it hinders good urbanism.  I get that the ponds reduce flow into the sewer system during heavy rain events and help filter the water, but I feel like I don't see them in any other city.  Maybe permeable pavement or several smaller bioswales could be an alternative.

True. It comes with the territory with larger footprint buildings. This is a great example of where good urbanism runs into the obstacles of suburban development regulations.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Is Kennedy street actually named (or was renamed) for JFK, or are they just playing on the name?  

Kennedy Street was around way before JFK became president. 

The street (and The Kennedy Room at Headquarters Library downtown) are named for  Dr. Lionel C. Kennedy who was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1816. He was the son of Lionel Henry Kennedy, a lawyer who retired to Spartanburg in 1836 due to failing health. Kennedy graduated from the Medical College at Charleston in 1834 and began practicing in Spartanburg in 1837. During the Civil War he served as a surgeon for the 13th Regiment of South Carolina Volunteers. At the end of the war, Kennedy continued his practice in Spartanburg. He was a respected physician in the community and after his death in 1880, his widow, Mrs. Helen Fayssoux Kennedy, donated his office and collection of books to create the first free public library in Spartanburg.  Attribution:  Spartanburg County Public Libraries.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Kennedy Street was around way before JFK became president. 

The street (and The Kennedy Room at Headquarters Library downtown) are named for  Dr. Lionel C. Kennedy who was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1816. He was the son of Lionel Henry Kennedy, a lawyer who retired to Spartanburg in 1836 due to failing health. Kennedy graduated from the Medical College at Charleston in 1834 and began practicing in Spartanburg in 1837. During the Civil War he served as a surgeon for the 13th Regiment of South Carolina Volunteers. At the end of the war, Kennedy continued his practice in Spartanburg. He was a respected physician in the community and after his death in 1880, his widow, Mrs. Helen Fayssoux Kennedy, donated his office and collection of books to create the first free public library in Spartanburg.  Attribution:  Spartanburg County Public Libraries.  

73038385_Spartanburg1910.thumb.jpg.9b74c7082977098417cc443660cd07b4.jpgNote Kennedy Street on this 1910 street map,

On 7/14/2021 at 12:58 PM, roads-scholar said:

73038385_Spartanburg1910.thumb.jpg.9b74c7082977098417cc443660cd07b4.jpgNote Kennedy Street on this 1910 street map,

I love this map. It explains a lot about Spartanburg's streets... for example - Kennedy St feels very different after you cross Union St because its wider, but the reason it's wider is because it used to end at Union St. Fun stuff!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...