Sign in to follow this  
JTM1

Memphis Sports

I believe it's time that a consortium is formed to lure an NFL team to Memphis. I believe we would be successful in getting the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

The NFL is a dead issue in Memphis after two failed attempts to lure an expansion team in the 90s as well as that one-year stint of the Oilers (now Titans) playing at the Liberty Bowl which saw lackluster support from many people in the city (some of which was done out of spite for Nashville getting a team).

There's also no appetite to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a massive new football stadium and facilities here to accommodate an NFL team. The support just isn't there. If one ever does get built, it'll most likely be for the U of M's football team either on or near its two main campuses.

Yeah there's no chance of that happening at this point, especially as long as the Titans are in Nashville.  If Memphis had built a new stadium in the 90's I think they would've gotten a team instead of Jacksonville, and I am not sure how successful it would have been long term-  possibly would have been the same type of success as the Jaguars.  But I can't re-write history...  and if we did get a team back then I think we never would've gotten the Grizzlies and I think the NBA is a better fit for Memphis and always thought back in the 80's/90's they should have put their efforts into an NBA team instead of the NFL, which eventually they seemed to figure out and has been a great 20 year run so far.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, James Owen said:

The NFL is a dead issue in Memphis after two failed attempts to lure an expansion team in the 90s as well as that one-year stint of the Oilers (now Titans) playing at the Liberty Bowl which saw lackluster support from many people in the city (some of which was done out of spite for Nashville getting a team).

There's also no appetite to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a massive new football stadium and facilities here to accommodate an NFL team. The support just isn't there. If one ever does get built, it'll most likely be for the U of M's football team either on or near its two main campuses.

I don't agree. Your claim that there is no appetite for an NFL team or a desire to build a new stadium is the same mentality some had in the 90s.  As I understand it, the reason for the  lack of support, showed to the Oilers, was due to the ownership's attempt to take advantage of Memphis.. 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:13 AM, DRG901 said:

Yeah there's no chance of that happening at this point, especially as long as the Titans are in Nashville.  If Memphis had built a new stadium in the 90's I think they would've gotten a team instead of Jacksonville, and I am not sure how successful it would have been long term-  possibly would have been the same type of success as the Jaguars.  But I can't re-write history...  and if we did get a team back then I think we never would've gotten the Grizzlies and I think the NBA is a better fit for Memphis and always thought back in the 80's/90's they should have put their efforts into an NBA team instead of the NFL, which eventually they seemed to figure out and has been a great 20 year run so far.

I am a bit more optimistic and despite Nashville having an NFL team that doesn't mean Memphis shouldn't work to land or lure a franchise.  The only time Nashville should be mentioned, when there is talk of an NFL franchise, should be how great the games would be with an instate rivalry. Memphians love more than basketball and lets not limit Memphis to just a basketball city. Memphis is a sports town. 

On 12/13/2020 at 10:24 PM, JTM1 said:

I don't agree. Your claim that there is no appetite for an NFL team or a desire to build a new stadium is the same mentality some had in the 90s.  As I understand it, the reason for the  lack of support, showed to the Oilers, was due to the ownership's attempt to take advantage of Memphis.. 

There was definitely a huge appetite for a team in the 70's/80's/90's and great corporate support with FedEx and others--  after we lost out on the 95 expansion bid and a year later the Oilers were moving to Nashville and we were picked to basically babysit them for 2 years while they were building a brand new stadium (again,  probably the main reason Memphis shot itself in the foot by losing out on the expansion or any possible relocations) did not go over well considering it'd been attempted for so long.  There was zero chance after that the NFL would put a team in both cities so close to each other with such close populations at the time.   

On 12/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, JTM1 said:

I am a bit more optimistic and despite Nashville having an NFL team that doesn't mean Memphis shouldn't work to land or lure a franchise.  The only time Nashville should be mentioned, when there is talk of an NFL franchise, should be how great the games would be with an instate rivalry. Memphians love more than basketball and lets not limit Memphis to just a basketball city. Memphis is a sports town. 

I agree it's definitely not just a basketball city.  I was at all aspects of Game Day last year,  what  day, Go Tigers :).   But it's not just Nashville having a team.  It would definitely take a major plan with a sparkling new stadium with major corporate players on board, as well as the city, etc etc.   As well as the NFL  being interested in expanding again or relocating a team.   We just dropped millions into the Liberty Bowl with new seating/ Tiger Lane etc that was meant for it to last another 20 years or so.  It's much improved and we have (in normal years) seen higher attendance and support.   There's no way the city and University and everyone involved would look to build something new, especially right now with the pandemic and economic uncertainty.  Again, down the line it will come up eventually for replacement and then there'd have to be a major push with every party involved but that will be years down the road.

• Like 1