Memphis Sports

JTM1

The NFL is a dead issue in Memphis after two failed attempts to lure an expansion team in the 90s as well as that one-year stint of the Oilers (now Titans) playing at the Liberty Bowl which saw lackluster support from many people in the city (some of which was done out of spite for Nashville getting a team).

There's also no appetite to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a massive new football stadium and facilities here to accommodate an NFL team. The support just isn't there. If one ever does get built, it'll most likely be for the U of M's football team either on or near its two main campuses.

• Like 1

Yeah there's no chance of that happening at this point, especially as long as the Titans are in Nashville.  If Memphis had built a new stadium in the 90's I think they would've gotten a team instead of Jacksonville, and I am not sure how successful it would have been long term-  possibly would have been the same type of success as the Jaguars.  But I can't re-write history...  and if we did get a team back then I think we never would've gotten the Grizzlies and I think the NBA is a better fit for Memphis and always thought back in the 80's/90's they should have put their efforts into an NBA team instead of the NFL, which eventually they seemed to figure out and has been a great 20 year run so far.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, James Owen said:

The NFL is a dead issue in Memphis after two failed attempts to lure an expansion team in the 90s as well as that one-year stint of the Oilers (now Titans) playing at the Liberty Bowl which saw lackluster support from many people in the city (some of which was done out of spite for Nashville getting a team).

There's also no appetite to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a massive new football stadium and facilities here to accommodate an NFL team. The support just isn't there. If one ever does get built, it'll most likely be for the U of M's football team either on or near its two main campuses.

I don't agree. Your claim that there is no appetite for an NFL team or a desire to build a new stadium is the same mentality some had in the 90s.  As I understand it, the reason for the  lack of support, showed to the Oilers, was due to the ownership's attempt to take advantage of Memphis.. 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:13 AM, DRG901 said:

Yeah there's no chance of that happening at this point, especially as long as the Titans are in Nashville.  If Memphis had built a new stadium in the 90's I think they would've gotten a team instead of Jacksonville, and I am not sure how successful it would have been long term-  possibly would have been the same type of success as the Jaguars.  But I can't re-write history...  and if we did get a team back then I think we never would've gotten the Grizzlies and I think the NBA is a better fit for Memphis and always thought back in the 80's/90's they should have put their efforts into an NBA team instead of the NFL, which eventually they seemed to figure out and has been a great 20 year run so far.

I am a bit more optimistic and despite Nashville having an NFL team that doesn't mean Memphis shouldn't work to land or lure a franchise.  The only time Nashville should be mentioned, when there is talk of an NFL franchise, should be how great the games would be with an instate rivalry. Memphians love more than basketball and lets not limit Memphis to just a basketball city. Memphis is a sports town. 

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:24 PM, JTM1 said:

I don't agree. Your claim that there is no appetite for an NFL team or a desire to build a new stadium is the same mentality some had in the 90s.  As I understand it, the reason for the  lack of support, showed to the Oilers, was due to the ownership's attempt to take advantage of Memphis.. 

There was definitely a huge appetite for a team in the 70's/80's/90's and great corporate support with FedEx and others--  after we lost out on the 95 expansion bid and a year later the Oilers were moving to Nashville and we were picked to basically babysit them for 2 years while they were building a brand new stadium (again,  probably the main reason Memphis shot itself in the foot by losing out on the expansion or any possible relocations) did not go over well considering it'd been attempted for so long.  There was zero chance after that the NFL would put a team in both cities so close to each other with such close populations at the time.   

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, JTM1 said:

I am a bit more optimistic and despite Nashville having an NFL team that doesn't mean Memphis shouldn't work to land or lure a franchise.  The only time Nashville should be mentioned, when there is talk of an NFL franchise, should be how great the games would be with an instate rivalry. Memphians love more than basketball and lets not limit Memphis to just a basketball city. Memphis is a sports town. 

I agree it's definitely not just a basketball city.  I was at all aspects of Game Day last year,  what  day, Go Tigers :).   But it's not just Nashville having a team.  It would definitely take a major plan with a sparkling new stadium with major corporate players on board, as well as the city, etc etc.   As well as the NFL  being interested in expanding again or relocating a team.   We just dropped millions into the Liberty Bowl with new seating/ Tiger Lane etc that was meant for it to last another 20 years or so.  It's much improved and we have (in normal years) seen higher attendance and support.   There's no way the city and University and everyone involved would look to build something new, especially right now with the pandemic and economic uncertainty.  Again, down the line it will come up eventually for replacement and then there'd have to be a major push with every party involved but that will be years down the road.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 9:51 PM, JTM1 said:

I believe it's time that a consortium is formed to lure an NFL team to Memphis. I believe we would be successful in getting the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Memphis would make a great NFL city. I disagree strongly with other post about no chance because Nashville has a team. Relocation is a real possibility if we are able to get city leaders on board to build a New stadium. That’s the reality teams move cities because of stadiums. Jaguars, Bills, Bengals are all teams we should keep an eye on for future relocation. Your only really talking 8 home dates (regular season )  certainly there is enough disposable income in our metro along with Arkansas, Mississippi to fill a 50,000 seat stadium for 8 dates.  I say 50,000 because that’s the word now that the NFL is pushing towards smaller stadiums with more suites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/16/expansion-to-40-teams-isnt-as-crazy-as-it-sounds/amp/

. Everyone that’s in agreement with the merits that Memphis can and should support a relocation franchise please look  and sign. 

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jim-strickland-memphis-city-council-shelby-county-commission-actively-explore-bringing-an-nfl-team-to-memphis

Edited by Memphisborn

I agree with us having a possible NFL expansion/relocation. 

The situation with the Oilers happened about 25 years ago.  Alot has changed since '97.  Most people on the NFL board aren't around anymore from that stint. Including a different commissioner. Memphis as well has changed. 

I compare Memphis market size to New Orleans, who handles two Major Sports franchise well for a few decades. 

If not NFL definitely, 1. MLB, 2. MLS, or 3.WNBA in that order.

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that MLS would be ahead of MLB.  I would even say WNBA ahead of MLB.  Memphis is more of a basketball and football town.  Memphis is also in strong Cardinals territory, which helps the Redbirds, but I don't think a new MLB team in Memphis would garner the regional support needed.  In 2019 the Redbirds ranked 41st in average attendance for MiLB.  The Sounds were 3rd.  Nashville already has a big leadership group and proposal for MBL expansion, which includes Justin Timberlake, Luke Combs, Eddie George, Darius Rucker, Kane Brown, Dave Stewart, Eric Church, Bobby Bones, Maren Morris, and Kix Brooks.  Nashville also has done a market study for the WNBA.  The WNBA will be looking to expand soon, and surprised that Memphis hasn't looked into this.  It would be great if Memphis got an WNBA franchise and also brought bock hockey to play in a renovated Mid-South Coliseum.  

I think Memphis would be a great NFL city too.  A new stadium at Liberty Park would be nice.  I would advocate building a new stadium here instead of some far flung interstate exit.  If a new stadium were to be made an indoor stadium, it could potentially host a CFP Championship Game or Final 4.  There will be a lot of competition for any NFL relocations or expansion, and Memphis will have its work cut out to be a contender against larger and faster growing cities.  I think geography fits well and don't think the Titans would prevent it from happening.  Memphis will just have to beat out cities like San Antonio/Austin, Orlando, Portland, Oakland, Salt Lake, San Diego, and Toronto.  Others like Louisville, Omaha, OKC, and Birmingham could be in the mix too.  Then there's that crazy thought that the NFL should have a team in London or Mexico City.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I agree that MLS would be ahead of MLB.  I would even say WNBA ahead of MLB.  Memphis is more of a basketball and football town.  Memphis is also in strong Cardinals territory, which helps the Redbirds, but I don't think a new MLB team in Memphis would garner the regional support needed.  In 2019 the Redbirds ranked 41st in average attendance for MiLB.  The Sounds were 3rd.  Nashville already has a big leadership group and proposal for MBL expansion, which includes Justin Timberlake, Luke Combs, Eddie George, Darius Rucker, Kane Brown, Dave Stewart, Eric Church, Bobby Bones, Maren Morris, and Kix Brooks.  Nashville also has done a market study for the WNBA.  The WNBA will be looking to expand soon, and surprised that Memphis hasn't looked into this.  It would be great if Memphis got an WNBA franchise and also brought bock hockey to play in a renovated Mid-South Coliseum.  

I think Memphis would be a great NFL city too.  A new stadium at Liberty Park would be nice.  I would advocate building a new stadium here instead of some far flung interstate exit.  If a new stadium were to be made an indoor stadium, it could potentially host a CFP Championship Game or Final 4.  There will be a lot of competition for any NFL relocations or expansion, and Memphis will have its work cut out to be a contender against larger and faster growing cities.  I think geography fits well and don't think the Titans would prevent it from happening.  Memphis will just have to beat out cities like San Antonio/Austin, Orlando, Portland, Oakland, Salt Lake, San Diego, and Toronto.  Others like Louisville, Omaha, OKC, and Birmingham could be in the mix too.  Then there's that crazy thought that the NFL should have a team in London or Mexico City.  

Memphis is Hoops City!! And with the new liberty park campus under construction WNBA would be a welcomed addition @ MSC.  They play during summer once NBA (Grizzlies) are done. That midtown campus will have all the surrounding infrastructure to support a WNBA franchise. 2 hotels/ entertainment/  retail/ tourism/ Vacant arena ready for reuse. What really needs to be looked @ is ownership group for potential franchise. If Pera takes a interest that could help dissolve the non compete issue and set the stage for a redevelopment of MSC. Please sign and share if u support WNBA in Memphis 

https://www.change.org/p/wnba-commissioner-cathy-engelbert-bring-wnba-to-memphis

liberty park campus 

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/Axujlw02BXlGdznabyAqBqCCCm04dLqdNJzUcFqSxig/document.pdf

Edited by Memphisborn
Left out information
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Memphis is Hoops City!! And with the new liberty park campus under construction WNBA would be a welcomed addition @ MSC.  They play during summer once NBA (Grizzlies) are done. That midtown campus will have all the surrounding infrastructure to support a WNBA franchise. 2 hotels/ entertainment/  retail/ tourism/ Vacant arena ready for reuse. What really needs to be looked @ is ownership group for potential franchise. If Pera takes a interest that could help dissolve the non compete issue and set the stage for a redevelopment of MSC. Please sign and share if u support WNBA in Memphis 

https://www.change.org/p/wnba-commissioner-cathy-engelbert-bring-wnba-to-memphis

liberty park campus 

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/Axujlw02BXlGdznabyAqBqCCCm04dLqdNJzUcFqSxig/document.pdf

I think the WNBA does like being in NBA cities for partnership opportunities.  Ownership may be the biggest hurdle.  No WNBA franchises turn a profit and the league is subsidized by the NBA on average of $10 million a year.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I think the WNBA does like being in NBA cities for partnership opportunities.  Ownership may be the biggest hurdle.  No WNBA franchises turn a profit and the league is subsidized by the NBA on average of $10 million a year.  

True. They are subsidized by NBA.  Let’s see what happens in near future with their expansion plans.  Houston, Philly, Toronto and Oakland appear very interested. My guess is Nashville won’t make the cut no NBA affiliation not a true basketball city and they are almost oversaturated with NHL, NFL, MLS and pushing for MLB.  I understand how they have grown as a city I applaud that, however WNBA will not flourish in a city with no NBA partner to aid with sponsors, marketing & cross promotions. Just my opinion on that. 

On 12/13/2021 at 10:40 AM, DRG901 said:

I would think MLS would be ahead of MLB... 901FC are extremely popular and draw well.   The ideas of a soccer specific stadium to be expanded could help the chances long term if that happens.  

Yes soccer specific stadium is more than likely the next stadium discussion for our city aside from LB / MSC. renovations.  USL has a mandate that all teams have soccer specific stadiums by 2025 or a path to financing one by then. Much has been mentioned about the 13acre+ CA site also the Vance/Hernando site as future fut’bol stadium site for 901 fc. It’s going to be interesting to see the plans, design and site location. I hope for something like this

https://www.spectorgroup.com/project/under-armor-stadium-and-long-island-soccer-academy-complex/

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 9:46 AM, Memphisborn said:

Yes soccer specific stadium is more than likely the next stadium discussion for our city aside from LB / MSC. renovations.  USL has a mandate that all teams have soccer specific stadiums by 2025 or a path to financing one by then. Much has been mentioned about the 13acre+ CA site also the Vance/Hernando site as future fut’bol stadium site for 901 fc. It’s going to be interesting to see the plans, design and site location. I hope for something like this

https://www.spectorgroup.com/project/under-armor-stadium-and-long-island-soccer-academy-complex/

I like this design. The Vance/Hernando location would be an ideal location for a large arena. There's also enough acreage on Beale near the Commercial Appeal building that would support a large arena.  I do wonder what has become of the Simmons stadium renaming and the release on the information about whether to renovate the Liberty Bowl or replace it. Everyone has gone quiet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I like this design. The Vance/Hernando location would be an ideal location for a large arena. There's also enough acreage on Beale near the Commercial Appeal building that would support a large arena.  I do wonder what has become of the Simmons stadium renaming and the release on the information about whether to renovate the Liberty Bowl or replace it. Everyone has gone quiet. 

It has been quite about the LB renovation.  Not sure what the next step is hopefully we will hear something soon. As far as Soccer Specific Stadium, Vance/ Hernando may be the location if the city can obtain all the land. I have driven by there a few time just to survey, it’s at least 20 acres possibly more if u include the other plots of vacant land adjacent to the apartments/ junkyard. CA site will cost 20-25 million according to a developer that looked @ site and does projects in the edge district that’s a lot of money upfront to get started on a possible development. I’ll mention this the downtown TDZ ends in 2031 and USL wants there franchises in soccer specific stadiums by 2025/2026 so u can expect something to start coming out about a sss plan soon otherwise they stand the risk of losing the franchise. That’s why Louisville had to build the Lynn family stadium it’s considered the crown jewel of USL @ a cost of about 80 million. I see us doing something in that range with TDZ funds available I would hope for a 100-110 million dollar stadium that would   Be able to draw big time soccer events/ USL/ Nwsl/ NCAA soccer tournaments, lacrosse/ high school football games/ festivals and more. Just my hope. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

It has been quite about the LB renovation.  Not sure what the next step is hopefully we will hear something soon. As far as Soccer Specific Stadium, Vance/ Hernando may be the location if the city can obtain all the land. I have driven by there a few time just to survey, it’s at least 20 acres possibly more if u include the other plots of vacant land adjacent to the apartments/ junkyard. CA site will cost 20-25 million according to a developer that looked @ site and does projects in the edge district that’s a lot of money upfront to get started on a possible development. I’ll mention this the downtown TDZ ends in 2031 and USL wants there franchises in soccer specific stadiums by 2025/2026 so u can expect something to start coming out about a sss plan soon otherwise they stand the risk of losing the franchise. That’s why Louisville had to build the Lynn family stadium it’s considered the crown jewel of USL @ a cost of about 80 million. I see us doing something in that range with TDZ funds available I would hope for a 100-110 million dollar stadium that would   Be able to draw big time soccer events/ USL/ Nwsl/ NCAA soccer tournaments, lacrosse/ high school football games/ festivals and more. Just my hope. 

Wikipedia says $65 million for Lynn family stadium, but maybe $80 million for land and construction. The Vance/Hernando location just got more desirable with the announced Butler Row. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Wikipedia says $65 million for Lynn family stadium, but maybe $80 million for land and construction. The Vance/Hernando location just got more desirable with the announced Butler Row. 

I saw the article about Butler Row, that adds to the potential patrons of a new stadium.  Let’s see what happens In 2022 with that area,  it has the potential/ land mass for an exciting development. I looked it up and Lynn stadium just the stadium sits on 15 acres. That Vance/ Hernando site is desirable and steps away from Beale/ S main.  I would hope 901 fc would do an academy as well as a stadium since USL is adding academy’s to their portfolio. 

Something like this would be exciting in that area.

https://eleven-park.com/

On 12/10/2020 at 9:51 PM, JTM1 said:

I believe it's time that a consortium is formed to lure an NFL team to Memphis. I believe we would be successful in getting the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

I’m all for pursuing the Jaguars . If they can’t get their stadium situation resolved I believe we can land them if we agree to fund a stadium.  The lease Jacksonville has expires 2030.  

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I’m all for pursuing the Jaguars . If they can’t get their stadium situation resolved I believe we can land them if we agree to fund a stadium.  The lease Jacksonville has expires 2030.  

The Jags and Jacksonville are investing there, so I don't know if there's a high chance that they'd leave.  They are about to start building a $120 million performance center by the stadium, which is part of a $440 million plan that includes the performance center, a Four Seasons hotel,  and other stuff.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

The Jags and Jacksonville are investing there, so I don't know if there's a high chance that they'd leave.  They are about to start building a $120 million performance center by the stadium, which is part of a $440 million plan that includes the performance center, a Four Seasons hotel,  and other stuff.  

I saw that it got voted in let’s see if it breaks ground lot could happen, that organization is a disaster right now 

14 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I saw that it got voted in let’s see if it breaks ground lot could happen, that organization is a disaster right now 

I'm all for their relocation to Memphis, I just wont get my hopes up, as I give it less than 1% chance of happening.  

• Like 2