Memphis Sports

JTM1

7 hours ago, VSRJ said:

These are exciting times to be a Grizzlies fan! I don't think I've followed the team this closely since the 2012-2013 season when we made it all the way to the WCF.

This is a team that is very exciting to watch and a real threat in the west. JA is a star and we have a very deep team. Grizzlies are dangerous and can only get better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VSRJ said:

These are exciting times to be a Grizzlies fan! I don't think I've followed the team this closely since the 2012-2013 season when we made it all the way to the WCF.

The Grizzlies are a solid team. And  from what I am seeing on Twitter, the Grizzlies have a growing international fan base. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure where this belongs as it encompasses so many different areas of the town (and sports), so I'll leave it here until these projects actually begin (and hopefully they do):

image.thumb.jpeg.90b7a1e7973305739f951d73e3d6f864.jpeg

Strickland proposes $684M to upgrade FedExForum, Liberty Stadium, build new soccer stadium

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/10/18/strickland-proposes-684m-to-upgrade-stadiums.html

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland proposed to City Council today an ambitious plan to invest $684 million into renovating the three biggest local sports venues and building a fourth over the next several years.

The pitch would include major, extensive renovations to FedExForum and Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium; minor updates to AutoZone Park, and a new build at the site of the Mid-South Coliseum to be home of Memphis 901 FC.

"There is no doubt in my mind that sports does many things," Strickland told City Council. "[It] promotes a city’s image and reputation, which in turn helps tourism, investment, business development, and job creation. Sports adds vibrancy and quality of life. And our economic analysis shows that [this proposal] makes business sense."

mined at that time. But the presentation included the administration's overview of the ask it is making of the state government.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wayward Memphian said:

To not build the soccer stadium downtown is a travesty.  

Although I agree that a stadium downtown would be nice, I'm not totally opposed to having a secondary athletic complex closer to the center of the city. We have two amazing stadiums downtown, but a third certainly wouldn't hurt. I guess I'm indifferent. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

Although I agree that a stadium downtown would be nice, I'm not totally opposed to having a secondary athletic complex closer to the center of the city. We have two amazing stadiums downtown, but a third certainly wouldn't hurt. I guess I'm indifferent. 

I agree.  Also it gives the Coliseum site a new use, we've been watching it sit for 16 years with no real ideas thrown out there that would work.   And with soccer having a summer season woudl give the fairgrounds more activity throughout the year.  Also, it won't be downtown but with the new mixed use coming to Liberty Park it'll still have bars and things to do around the stadium.  Seems like a win/win in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRG901 said:

I agree.  Also it gives the Coliseum site a new use, we've been watching it sit for 16 years with no real ideas thrown out there that would work.   And with soccer having a summer season woudl give the fairgrounds more activity throughout the year.  Also, it won't be downtown but with the new mixed use coming to Liberty Park it'll still have bars and things to do around the stadium.  Seems like a win/win in the end.

The design looks great, but I'd still much rather have a soccer stadium at the the CA site or South Forum.  I think the Coliseum could still be useful.  Would be nice to have it renovated and get back a hockey team.  Would also be great for a WNBA team.  They are planning to announce expansion cities by the end of the year, doubt Memphis is in the top 10.  The updated Coliseum could also be used for smaller concerts, wrestling, graduations, and championship games for local tournaments.

I don't even know why they tried mentioning keeping some of the Coliseum in the design of the soccer stadium, and then say, but most of it would have to be torn down.  Looks like all of it would be torn down. 

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

The design looks great, but I'd still much rather have a soccer stadium at the the CA site or South Forum.  I think the Coliseum could still be useful.  Would be nice to have it renovated and get back a hockey team.  Would also be great for a WNBA team.  They are planning to announce expansion cities by the end of the year, doubt Memphis is in the top 10.  The updated Coliseum could also be used for smaller concerts, wrestling, graduations, and championship games for local tournaments.

I don't even know why they tried mentioning keeping some of the Coliseum in the design of the soccer stadium, and then say, but most of it would have to be torn down.  Looks like all of it would be torn down. 

I was big on seeing it at CA site, however I can live with Faigrounds area. The design looks very nice, hopefully this can land NWSL franchise as well. One thing that’s really cool is the proximity to Overton square/ Cooper young. Also let’s keep in mind all that’s being built around stadiums retail/ entertainment two hotels/ apts. . There is still 17 acres old coke factory that the city controls  ripe for more entertainment development bars/ restaurants etc this could end up if done right a major sports Mecca complex. 

3 hours ago, DRG901 said:

It’s definitely a win. Would love to see the old coke factory developed as well. 

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Build the NFL stadium downtown. Renovated liberty bowl could house them until a new dome is built downtown. LB would then be used for youth sports, city playoffs, Bluecross bowl and liberty bowl game and southern heritage classic. 

Memphis Jaguars 

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1

The rendering is awesome - it needs to eventually house an MLS team. I would be satisfied with two major sports franchises, although having the NFL would be nice. The Fairgrounds idea is wonderful, especially since a vacant building will be gone. I too have memories of going to Tiger basketball and Memphis Storm (indoor futbol) games, but it's time to move on. The Coliseum plaza is a nice touch with the new stadium, in that it reminds visitors of what once was. A downtown futbol stadium would be OK too. The CA site is a great idea, but the problem is it being on a busy street - and all the people that will cross Union coming from the Ravine for instance would be dangerous. 

I agree with Memphisborn. Build a new domed stadium downtown instead of investing millions in renovating, heck, that's what Nashville is getting. If they can continue to get whatever they want, why can't Memphis? We'll see how West TN is important to the state when all the dust settles. Fair is fair. I'm glad Strickland quickly jumped on this opportunity. Memphis deserves every opportunity to succeed, but there needs to be persistence and determination. When the domed stadium is built, don't build it like the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, it's one of the reasons the Rams left. The new Memphis NFL team will be named the Showboats (USFL), rename the Titans to Nashville Titans. It sounds weird yes, but I don't care, I'm all for Memphis.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

I was big on seeing it at CA site, however I can live with Faigrounds area. The design looks very nice, hopefully this can land NWSL franchise as well. One thing that’s really cool is the proximity to Overton square/ Cooper young. Also let’s keep in mind all that’s being built around stadiums retail/ entertainment two hotels/ apts. . There is still 17 acres old coke factory that the city controls  ripe for more entertainment development bars/ restaurants etc this could end up if done right a major sports Mecca complex. 

It’s definitely a win. Would love to see the old coke factory developed as well. 

Yeah that's my thought as well-  they are already adding residential/hotels/entertainment so it's not like it's going to be the fairgrounds of old where you just park in a suburban style lot, go in and watch a game and leave.  And yes I didn't really think of how close Cooper Young/Overton is also which is slowly blending into one area down Cooper St. 

I agree about the Coke factory but I believe I saw they were just going to use that as parking for the Liberty Bowl?  Which is unfortunate since it could be more.

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, back in 06 or so when it closed I was all about tearing it down but over time- I don't know if it's actually  time or that so many have been so passionate about not tearing it down because we still "need it" after being replaced twice basically (3 times if you count the Landers Center) that I was on board with finding something useful for it but in reality with the no complete clause I just don't know what you could do with it unless you scale the seating back which in my mind seems pointless almost because it'd be harder to get hockey or whatever else as a guaranteed tenant back to it.  And the group that has been trying to display it or whatever has had several years and nothing has come of it.

Plus, back to the Landers Center- it did take its hockey team away in 2000 and it didn't have a tenant since then for the last 6 years it was open.   The Landers Center is being renovated so it's not like it will stop getting the shows it gets (which seem to be mainly more country anyway than Memphis seems to ever get).

And a lot of the argument is we need to renovate it to take shows back from Southaven.... but would that actually ever happen?  Concerts and touring have changed since the Coliseums heyday.  It's not going to get 100 shows a year like it did in the 70's no matter what and things that are already going to the Landers Center  aren't going to all of a sudden say we're going to the Coliseum because I wanna be in the Memphis city limits.   They're still just going to look at it as going to Memphis market.  Plus throw in Snowden in Southaven and Radians Amphitheater in Memphis is getting a decent amount of shows for smaller things, plus you have the Forum and even the Overton Shell as well.   On top of that no one knows what's up with Mud Island which I'd prefer over the Coliseum if we're going to spend money on older concert venues when I'm not sold either are really needed. 

On top of that-- the soccer stadium could hold 15,000 for concerts-- which is probably close to the Coliseum in seating-- and outdoor venues don't have to worry about the no compete clause- so what would we really be losing and not gaining much more in return?    And also-- the renovated Liberty Bowl would be updated for modern bigger tours as well-- so right in the same complex we'd have two basically new concert venues-   a 50,000 seat stadium for bigger shows and a 15,000 seat stadium for others-- again imo we'd be gaining more than we have now.  And if we have two modern venues at Liberty Park that could hold different amounts of outdoor concerts than do we really need to renovate Mud Island as well?   LOL...sorry, a lot of possible scenarios here!

• Like 1

Building a dome is a waste of time and money when we don't even have an NFL team to begin with (and won't be getting one any time soon). Just because the Titans are getting one through a mix of state and local dollars in Nashville doesn't mean we need to be following suit.

Enough.

Better hearing that from me than from a certain someone who loves to bash our city every single post.

Edited by James Owen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the things I love most about Memphis is that we do our own thing — for better or worse. We’re unapologetically, authentically Memphis — and that authenticity and character isn’t something that can be imported from New York or LA or another big city that’s pumping flashy-but-sterile developments into Nashville. It doesn’t need to be our model city that we look to for inspiration.

• Like 1

This is a money grab (a good kind). Strickland & Memphis leaders saw the kind of money that the state is handing over for the Titans to build a new stadium in Nashville.  They could sit quietly in the corner and hope we could get some scraps, or, they demand that the other major metropolitan city in the state be treated equally. Now, they can’t stand there, just holding their hands out. They need to demonstrate a need, and have a plan. That’s what this is. And, I think why the location. The city owns Liberty Park. They can’t come out with a plan for CA site or South Forum site for a stadium when the city doesn’t own those properties.  Nor are they going to buy those properties when they don’t even know if they’ll get the funding. 

Regarding the Coke plant, the city bought it to house the signal and sign maintenance, fleet fueling center, and litter pickup program. It also doubles as event parking. I don’t see the site being developed for other purposes,  unless an NFL team comes to town and builds a new stadium in Liberty Park. If Memphis gets an expansion team, it should be named Showboats or Pharaohs.

Regarding the MSC, the group and the nearby residents trying to save it, aren’t wanting to do so mainly for concerts.  They are wanting to preserve it for historical significance, and community use.  They want it to host local graduations, local community events, local sporting events.  And, it can also be used for concerts.  Concerts that are smaller.  For bands that don’t even consider playing in major arenas because they won’t fill a quarter of it.  The non-compete issue is null, because the upgrades to make it ADA compliant would put seating under 5k.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MDC26 said:

This is a money grab (a good kind). Strickland & Memphis leaders saw the kind of money that the state is handing over for the Titans to build a new stadium in Nashville.  They could sit quietly in the corner and hope we could get some scraps, or, they demand that the other major metropolitan city in the state be treated equally. Now, they can’t stand there, just holding their hands out. They need to demonstrate a need, and have a plan. That’s what this is. And, I think why the location. The city owns Liberty Park. They can’t come out with a plan for CA site or South Forum site for a stadium when the city doesn’t own those properties.  Nor are they going to buy those properties when they don’t even know if they’ll get the funding. 

Regarding the Coke plant, the city bought it to house the signal and sign maintenance, fleet fueling center, and litter pickup program. It also doubles as event parking. I don’t see the site being developed for other purposes,  unless an NFL team comes to town and builds a new stadium in Liberty Park. If Memphis gets an expansion team, it should be named Showboats or Pharaohs.

Regarding the MSC, the group and the nearby residents trying to save it, aren’t wanting to do so mainly for concerts.  They are wanting to preserve it for historical significance, and community use.  They want it to host local graduations, local community events, local sporting events.  And, it can also be used for concerts.  Concerts that are smaller.  For bands that don’t even consider playing in major arenas because they won’t fill a quarter of it.  The non-compete issue is null, because the upgrades to make it ADA compliant would put seating under 5k.

Yes great points. Would love to see 901 fc have an academy as part of footprint also pursuing a NWSl team would be a step up and gives that recognition as a city that’s progressive minded. This will be an amazing addition to liberty park. 

12 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Yeah, back in 06 or so when it closed I was all about tearing it down but over time- I don't know if it's actually  time or that so many have been so passionate about not tearing it down because we still "need it" after being replaced twice basically (3 times if you count the Landers Center) that I was on board with finding something useful for it but in reality with the no complete clause I just don't know what you could do with it unless you scale the seating back which in my mind seems pointless almost because it'd be harder to get hockey or whatever else as a guaranteed tenant back to it.  And the group that has been trying to display it or whatever has had several years and nothing has come of it.

Plus, back to the Landers Center- it did take its hockey team away in 2000 and it didn't have a tenant since then for the last 6 years it was open.   The Landers Center is being renovated so it's not like it will stop getting the shows it gets (which seem to be mainly more country anyway than Memphis seems to ever get).

And a lot of the argument is we need to renovate it to take shows back from Southaven.... but would that actually ever happen?  Concerts and touring have changed since the Coliseums heyday.  It's not going to get 100 shows a year like it did in the 70's no matter what and things that are already going to the Landers Center  aren't going to all of a sudden say we're going to the Coliseum because I wanna be in the Memphis city limits.   They're still just going to look at it as going to Memphis market.  Plus throw in Snowden in Southaven and Radians Amphitheater in Memphis is getting a decent amount of shows for smaller things, plus you have the Forum and even the Overton Shell as well.   On top of that no one knows what's up with Mud Island which I'd prefer over the Coliseum if we're going to spend money on older concert venues when I'm not sold either are really needed. 

On top of that-- the soccer stadium could hold 15,000 for concerts-- which is probably close to the Coliseum in seating-- and outdoor venues don't have to worry about the no compete clause- so what would we really be losing and not gaining much more in return?    And also-- the renovated Liberty Bowl would be updated for modern bigger tours as well-- so right in the same complex we'd have two basically new concert venues-   a 50,000 seat stadium for bigger shows and a 15,000 seat stadium for others-- again imo we'd be gaining more than we have now.  And if we have two modern venues at Liberty Park that could hold different amounts of outdoor concerts than do we really need to renovate Mud Island as well?   LOL...sorry, a lot of possible scenarios here!

I understand your hesitation about MI amphitheater. Here is a scenario to consider with TLP footprint being down sized MI Amp would be necessary to help accommodate BSMF. Remember there is already a plan to build pedestrian bridge to connect MI with TLP. Just something to think over. 

I wish they'd quit saying how the MSC would be partially demolished.  It looks like the only thing that would be kept is the structure with columns that covers the sidewalk in front of the MSC.  In the rendering it sits 50 yards away from the stadium and has a sign on it that says "Coliseum Plaza".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I wish they'd quit saying how the MSC would be partially demolished.  It looks like the only thing that would be kept is the structure with columns that covers the sidewalk in front of the MSC.  In the rendering it sits 50 yards away from the stadium and has a sign on it that says "Coliseum Plaza".  

Lol yea they are completely tearing down the building and yes the renderings show the columns and breezeway area. Well it’s time has passed.  I love the design of the soccer stadium guitar pick  roof very nice design. 

19 hours ago, James Owen said:

Building a dome is a waste of time and money when we don't even have an NFL team to begin with (and won't be getting one any time soon). Just because the Titans are getting one through a mix of state and local dollars in Nashville doesn't mean we need to be following suit.

Enough.

Better hearing that from me than from a certain someone who loves to bash our city every single post.

I don’t think pursuing a covered arena is a waste of time, because there are a variety of sports and not sport events Memphis could host.  One of the reasons that COGIC relocated to St. Louis is hotels and the Dome at America’s Center. They wanted to assemble all their attendees under one roof, and the only venue, in Memphis that could hold them was the Liberty Bowl. Yesterday, I read a tweet from someone that said, the Liberty Should be covered like Syracuse’s dome stadium. Let’s build for the future, and build to compete, for large events with other cities.

Tim Howard lives in Collierville, and he is a part of the 901FC ownership group. His commitment to Memphis is known and he’s going to bring a soccer championship to Memphis. I am all for building a new stadium for them, but I think it should be larger and a location that isn’t the fairgrounds. One reason is that the parking and traffic is going to be hell once the fairgrounds has been built out.

I never count out the people of Memphis. If Fred Smith had his way, Memphis would be home to an NFL franchise, because as recent as 2020, he tried to buy out Dan Snyder. There's plenty of money in Memphis to pursue this type of venture. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, VSRJ said:

Not sure where this belongs as it encompasses so many different areas of the town (and sports), so I'll leave it here until these projects actually begin (and hopefully they do):

image.thumb.jpeg.90b7a1e7973305739f951d73e3d6f864.jpeg

Strickland proposes $684M to upgrade FedExForum, Liberty Stadium, build new soccer stadium

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/10/18/strickland-proposes-684m-to-upgrade-stadiums.html

I love these renderings and there appears to be an open large plaza overlooking the field and I  hope they reconsider the location of the soccer stadium.  I look forward to seeing the changes the Grizzlies are proposing for FF. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, JTM1 said:

I don’t think pursuing a covered arena is a waste of time, because there are a variety of sports and not sport events Memphis could host.  One of the reasons that COGIC relocated to St. Louis is hotels and the Dome at America’s Center. They wanted to assemble all their attendees under one roof, and the only venue, in Memphis that could hold them was the Liberty Bowl. Yesterday, I read a tweet from someone that said, the Liberty Should be covered like Syracuse’s dome stadium. Let’s build for the future, and build to compete, for large events with other cities.

Tim Howard lives in Collierville, and he is a part of the 901FC ownership group. His commitment to Memphis is known and he’s going to bring a soccer championship to Memphis. I am all for building a new stadium for them, but I think it should be larger and a location that isn’t the fairgrounds. One reason is that the parking and traffic is going to be hell once the fairgrounds has been built out.

I never count out the people of Memphis. If Fred Smith had his way, Memphis would be home to an NFL franchise, because as recent as 2020, he tried to buy out Dan Snyder. There's plenty of money in Memphis to pursue this type of venture. 

I agree. Never say never. There were many doubters that we could support a NBA team, we see how that played out. Many said we couldn’t build a new soccer stadium well we see what path that’s taking. I’m tired of the nay sayers and negativity about our city.Memphis has great potential to obtain a NFL franchise it just has to be the right team @ right time. Let’s not forget NFL expansion is on the horizon and there are couple teams that may relocate. Never say never 

• Like 1