Memphis Sports

JTM1

46 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

I agree. Never say never. There were many doubters that we could support a NBA team, we see how that played out. Many said we couldn’t build a new soccer stadium well we see what path that’s taking. I’m tired of the nay sayers and negativity about our city.Memphis has great potential to obtain a NFL franchise it just has to be the right team @ right time. Let’s not forget NFL expansion is on the horizon and there are couple teams that may relocate. Never say never 

Well said.  

Here's another idea: why not include the new futbol stadium in the Walk? Union and Fourth across from AZP.

image.thumb.png.245649c0f10683cdb6f3883ca08fd6d4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, JTM1 said:

I don’t think pursuing a covered arena is a waste of time, because there are a variety of sports and not sport events Memphis could host.  One of the reasons that COGIC relocated to St. Louis is hotels and the Dome at America’s Center. They wanted to assemble all their attendees under one roof, and the only venue, in Memphis that could hold them was the Liberty Bowl. Yesterday, I read a tweet from someone that said, the Liberty Should be covered like Syracuse’s dome stadium. Let’s build for the future, and build to compete, for large events with other cities.

Tim Howard lives in Collierville, and he is a part of the 901FC ownership group. His commitment to Memphis is known and he’s going to bring a soccer championship to Memphis. I am all for building a new stadium for them, but I think it should be larger and a location that isn’t the fairgrounds. One reason is that the parking and traffic is going to be hell once the fairgrounds has been built out.

I never count out the people of Memphis. If Fred Smith had his way, Memphis would be home to an NFL franchise, because as recent as 2020, he tried to buy out Dan Snyder. There's plenty of money in Memphis to pursue this type of venture. 

So you think if Fred Smith could have bought Snyder out, he would have definitely moved the Redskins/Commanders to Memphis?

There is another Tennessean that already owns an NFL team, which is a perennial poor performer. But, that city already has abandonment issues. 

I wonder if the newest NFL owner will bring the first professional franchise to Arkansas. Bentonville Broncos has a nice ring to it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MDC26 said:

So you think if Fred Smith could have bought Snyder out, he would have definitely moved the Redskins/Commanders to Memphis?

There is another Tennessean that already owns an NFL team, which is a perennial poor performer. But, that city already has abandonment issues. 

I wonder if the newest NFL owner will bring the first professional franchise to Arkansas. Bentonville Broncos has a nice ring to it. 

Yes there is no doubt in my mind if Fred took ownership of commanders he would want to relocate them. Frankly I can see a new dome stadium built downtown for a NFL franchise and home of Tigers. LB would be used for high school city playoffs/ heritage classic/ AZ liberty bowl/ Blue cross state playoffs. That’s what I see happening. Keep an eye on Jaguars they have a lot of stadium issues and there council voted down a stadium development plan once couple years back. Bengals lease expires soon/ keep eye on Snyder/ Fred smith/ Washington. Also expansion has been gaining traction. 

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes there is no doubt in my mind if Fred took ownership of commanders he would want to relocate them. Frankly I can see a new dome stadium built downtown for a NFL franchise and home of Tigers. LB would be used for high school city playoffs/ heritage classic/ AZ liberty bowl/ Blue cross state playoffs. That’s what I see happening. Keep an eye on Jaguars they have a lot of stadium issues and there council voted down a stadium development plan once couple years back. Bengals lease expires soon/ keep eye on Snyder/ Fred smith/ Washington. Also expansion has been gaining traction. 

In August, the city of Jacksonville approved plans to build a sports performance center which will have weight room, practice fields, offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms, and other stuff for the Jags.  I think Khan is committed to Jacksonville, and with the approval for the new sports center, I think it's less than likely they relocate.  Cincy is probably the most likely candidate.  Who knows what Snyder will do.  The Browns are looking to build a new stadium, but there are lots of infrastructure improvements that must be done for that to happen.  If the improvements can't be made, do they look to relocate to another city?  Would Haslam look to his home state?  Memphis frequently makes the list for NFL expansion cities, but in time honored tradition, would Memphis find itself just missing the cut again?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

In August, the city of Jacksonville approved plans to build a sports performance center which will have weight room, practice fields, offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms, and other stuff for the Jags.  I think Khan is committed to Jacksonville, and with the approval for the new sports center, I think it's less than likely they relocate.  Cincy is probably the most likely candidate.  Who knows what Snyder will do.  The Browns are looking to build a new stadium, but there are lots of infrastructure improvements that must be done for that to happen.  If the improvements can't be made, do they look to relocate to another city?  Would Haslam look to his home state?  Memphis frequently makes the list for NFL expansion cities, but in time honored tradition, would Memphis find itself just missing the cut again?  

Excellent question I think this time we make the cut either via relocation or expansion. If I had to choose I would bet on relocation those expansion fees may make a potential new  owner  turn away.  See Sacramento Republic fiasco

16 hours ago, MDC26 said:

No doubt in my mind. He wouldn't hesitate to move the team to Memphis.  

I believe an NFL team would be very successful in Memphis. With an owner like Fred Smith it would be well managed. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Haslam was in Memphis for the FedEx St Jude Golf Championship. I don't know If he will relocate his team, but I saw him at the golf championship. 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:58 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Well said.  

Here's another idea: why not include the new futbol stadium in the Walk? Union and Fourth across from AZP.

There are two other properties downtown that I would love to see this located. If the community raise enough noise, they will reconsider the suggested location. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MDC26 said:

More likely than not Jimmy Haslam (former governor Bill Haslam's brother) sells the Browns rather than relocate them out of Ohio as I don't see Cleveland wanting to go through 1995 all over again when Art Modell moved the original Browns franchise to Baltimore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MDC26 said:

There was talk on the news today that there needs to be a new 201. Don't know where they'd put a new jail, but of all places not downtown. That area on Poplar and beyond is not too good. Maybe that could be the site of a dome?  Take out Washington Ave so it can be built. So Fred Smith would pony up all the money to move or build an NFL facility? 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis

On 10/24/2022 at 5:56 PM, James Owen said:

More likely than not Jimmy Haslam (former governor Bill Haslam's brother) sells the Browns rather than relocate them out of Ohio as I don't see Cleveland wanting to go through 1995 all over again when Art Modell moved the original Browns franchise to Baltimore.

Well, St Louis has lost an NFL franchise on two separate occasions in my lifetime, and Oakland has lost the Raiders twice, to two different cities.  So, it’s not unprecedented. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 5:04 PM, JTM1 said:

I believe an NFL team would be very successful in Memphis. With an owner like Fred Smith it would be well managed. 

Well, Fred had his chance.  Snyder is selling the Commanders.  Looks like it will be Bezos, Jay Z, and Matthew McConaughey buying them.  

On 10/24/2022 at 5:04 PM, JTM1 said:

Yes it would. Especially since the tigers play in a small conference and can’t go to the big bowl games at this point. My only concern would be for the beloved Grizzlies, but the main concern would be all the entrenched and loyal fans of other NFL teams here. I would hope they’d be loyal to the hometown team, or have the hometown team be be “B” team rather than the “A”. I don’t know how many people have a positive view here of their own city like they do others. They’re skewed by the constant news mantra of carjackings and the like which makes being a homer uncool. Some people have bought into the negative narrative. 

What would the colors of the team be? I’d only want the red white and grey of the showboats but it’s too close to Ohio state. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Yes it would. Especially since the tigers play in a small conference and can’t go to the big bowl games at this point. My only concern would be for the beloved Grizzlies, but the main concern would be all the entrenched and loyal fans of other NFL teams here. I would hope they’d be loyal to the hometown team, or have the hometown team be be “B” team rather than the “A”. I don’t know how many people have a positive view here of their own city like they do others. They’re skewed by the constant news mantra of carjackings and the like which makes being a homer uncool. Some people have bought into the negative narrative. 

What would the colors of the team be? I’d only want the red white and grey of the showboats but it’s too close to Ohio state. 

If Memphis got an NFL team, I'd want them to be the Showboats or the Pharaohs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

If Memphis got an NFL team, I'd want them to be the Showboats or the Pharaohs.  

Interestings post. It depends largely on if it’s a relocation franchise or expansion franchise. Grizzlies relocated and kept the name. I’ll be honest I’m hoping that we could land Jaguars that teal and black would be perfect here. Don’t be surprised if we do just end up with the Showboats USFL is back and the plan is to eventually leave the all teams in BHam concept and go to individual cities. 

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Interestings post. It depends largely on if it’s a relocation franchise or expansion franchise. Grizzlies relocated and kept the name. I’ll be honest I’m hoping that we could land Jaguars that teal and black would be perfect here. Don’t be surprised if we do just end up with the Showboats USFL is back and the plan is to eventually leave the all teams in BHam concept and go to individual cities. 

I think it depends on the relocation team. Jags or Bengals, likely keep the name. Browns, Bills, or Commanders, likely change names. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I think it depends on the relocation team. Jags or Bengals, likely keep the name. Browns, Bills, or Commanders, likely change names. 

I saw where Snyder is selling team asking price is ridiculous 7 billion. Let’s see what happens with that plus they have a horrible stadium situation.  They may be a prime candidate for relocation 

10 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I saw where Snyder is selling team asking price is ridiculous 7 billion. Let’s see what happens with that plus they have a horrible stadium situation.  They may be a prime candidate for relocation 

Bezos has plenty of money to buy it and build a new stadium. He owns the Washington Post too, so I’m sure he likes Washington and has no intentions of relocating the team. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:36 AM, MDC26 said:

Well, Fred had his chance.  Snyder is selling the Commanders.  Looks like it will be Bezos, Jay Z, and Matthew McConaughey buying them.  

The recent lawsuit against Bezos will prevent him from acquiring the team.

I still believe, Fred Smith and the other minority owners, bought out by Snyder, will end up buying the team. I read an article that said, when all of the controversial mess started leaking about Snyder, Fred Smith was trying to buy him out. Snyder didn't want to sell, and that's why Smith sold his minority ownership. 

I don't think his desire to own a team has changed, but he has more free time,  now, after stepping away from his company. 

On 11/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Even with those faithful to other teams, I believe an NFL franchise would be well supported in this region. Especially by the corporations that are in this area. 

No need to worry about the Grizzlies, because they are doing their thing and their popularity is growing exponentially.  I'm can't wait to see their proposed renovations of FedEx Forum. 

The Showboats name has been taken by the USFL, and the Tampa team will now play in Memphis. Not sure about color schemes, but my money would be on a mixture of red, blue, gray, black, and white. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Bezos has plenty of money to buy it and build a new stadium. He owns the Washington Post too, so I’m sure he likes Washington and has no intentions of relocating the team. 

Bezos has the money, but he also has a lot of baggage that will prevent the sell of the team to him. The recent lawsuit filed against him, is telling, and I don't see him acquiring the team. It would be a Snyder 2.0 situation all over again. 

5 hours ago, JTM1 said:

The recent lawsuit against Bezos will prevent him from acquiring the team.

I still believe, Fred Smith and the other minority owners, bought out by Snyder, will end up buying the team. I read an article that said, when all of the controversial mess started leaking about Snyder, Fred Smith was trying to buy him out. Snyder didn't want to sell, and that's why Smith sold his minority ownership. 

I don't think his desire to own a team has changed, but he has more free time,  now, after stepping away from his company. 

I thought Smith sold because he didn’t want to be associated with Snyder anymore. But, if you are want to own the team, you don’t sell what you already have, just because he says no a time or two. You’ve already got one foot in the door as part owner and your company’s name on the field. That makes for an easier path if he comes around to selling and also insight of what’s going on. 

Edited by MDC26

6 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Even with those faithful to other teams, I believe an NFL franchise would be well supported in this region. Especially by the corporations that are in this area. 

No need to worry about the Grizzlies, because they are doing their thing and their popularity is growing exponentially.  I'm can't wait to see their proposed renovations of FedEx Forum. 

The Showboats name has been taken by the USFL, and the Tampa team will now play in Memphis. Not sure about color schemes, but my money would be on a mixture of red, blue, gray, black, and white. 

Yea I read that article about the Showboats returning to Memphis. We may be a hub city according to article. That would be good revenue for liberty park. 

10 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yea I read that article about the Showboats returning to Memphis. We may be a hub city according to article. That would be good revenue for liberty park. 

It is a good sign that Memphis is always included in these additional leagues like XFL, Alliance, USFL, but unfortunately, none of them have had sustained success.  Arena has been the only league with staying power.  Hopefully this iteration of USFL will be successful, and will work well in Memphis. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

It is a good sign that Memphis is always included in these additional leagues like XFL, Alliance, USFL, but unfortunately, none of them have had sustained success.  Arena has been the only league with staying power.  Hopefully this iteration of USFL will be successful, and will work well in Memphis. 

It seems to be on the right track. The hub city model help them sustain let’s see if they continue that model couple more seasons to grow the brand/ league. I like the moderate growth approach no expansion plans until 2024. The USFL has a good business plan. Looks like they will continue to grow hopefully. News is Birmingham was a bad hub city choice, Flight issues, infrastructure issues etc. may have closed the door on them being hub city let’s see. 

https://usflnewshub.com/columns/the-state-of-birminghams-hub-city-capabilities/