Memphis Sports

JTM1

On 11/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, Memphisborn said:

Interestings post. It depends largely on if it’s a relocation franchise or expansion franchise. Grizzlies relocated and kept the name. I’ll be honest I’m hoping that we could land Jaguars that teal and black would be perfect here. Don’t be surprised if we do just end up with the Showboats USFL is back and the plan is to eventually leave the all teams in BHam concept and go to individual cities. 

I would be open to dropping Memphis (reluctantly) and going with something to associate it with TN,AR & MS. Something like Tri-state or whatever. I know TAMs was supposed to do the same thing back in the day. Would like to hear others opinions about including the mid south area in the team name. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis

3 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I would be open to dropping Memphis (reluctantly) and going with something to associate it with TN,AR & MS. Something like Tri-state or whatever. I know TAMs was supposed to do the same thing back in the day. Would like to hear others opinions about including the mid south area in the team name. 

Tri-States would be confusing as we are not the only metro area situated between three states (Philadelphia being one of them), and the Mid-South is a broad term that applies beyond just Memphis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James Owen said:

Tri-States would be confusing as we are not the only metro area situated between three states (Philadelphia being one of them), and the Mid-South is a broad term that applies beyond just Memphis.

Definitely not Tri-state since there are 62 tri-state borders in the US.  While Mid-South is a broader area, Memphis is at the center and the capital of the Mid-South. Could be like New England and draw a larger fan base. Could also go with Memphissippi. 

14 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Should Memphis pursue a WNBA franchise?? The league is about to expand by two teams. Would we support womens sports in Memphis?? 

No clue how well a WNBA team would be supported in Memphis. I doubt the city even put together a study or pitch for a WNBA team. They initially considered 100 cities this Summer and cut it down to 10 finalists. They are supposed to announce two cities to join the league by 2025 before the end of the year. Nashville put a pitch together and are considered a favorite along with Oakland/SF, Philly, Toronto, and Portland. 

Memphis could have been a good potential candidate. They like the capability of patterning with an NBA team and a renovated Mid-South coliseum would be a great venue. Ja Morant is a very prominent supporter of the WNBA and could even be part of the ownership group. Jaren Jackson Jr’s mother is the current executive director of the WNBA. Memphis is a hotbed for basketball interest too. James Wade who is the HC and GM for the Chicago Sky is from Memphis and has recently won coach of the year, executive of the year, and a WNBA championship. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

No clue how well a WNBA team would be supported in Memphis. I doubt the city even put together a study or pitch for a WNBA team. They initially considered 100 cities this Summer and cut it down to 10 finalists. They are supposed to announce two cities to join the league by 2025 before the end of the year. Nashville put a pitch together and are considered a favorite along with Oakland/SF, Philly, Toronto, and Portland. 

Memphis could have been a good potential candidate. They like the capability of patterning with an NBA team and a renovated Mid-South coliseum would be a great venue. Ja Morant is a very prominent supporter of the WNBA and could even be part of the ownership group. Jaren Jackson Jr’s mother is the current executive director of the WNBA. Memphis is a hotbed for basketball interest too. James Wade who is the HC and GM for the Chicago Sky is from Memphis and has recently won coach of the year, executive of the year, and a WNBA championship. 

Very good points. While there was no public announcement about Memphis pursuing a franchise word is they met with WNBA officials about the possibility. One thing to always keep in mind is often times these meetings are kept private for a lot of reasons. Would not surprise me one bit if Elliot Perry/ Robert Pera have put together a proposal to WNBA for a franchise. Can’t always believe what’s in the media in terms of who are front runners. interesting point about MSC as a possible venue it’s in Midtown and there is huge support from LGBTQ for a Memphis WNBA team. 

https://www.change.org/p/wnba-commissioner-cathy-engelbert-bring-wnba-to-memphis

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Very good points. While there was no public announcement about Memphis pursuing a franchise word is they met with WNBA officials about the possibility. One thing to always keep in mind is often times these meetings are kept private for a lot of reasons. Would not surprise me one bit if Elliot Perry/ Robert Pera have put together a proposal to WNBA for a franchise. Can’t always believe what’s in the media in terms of who are front runners. interesting point about MSC as a possible venue it’s in Midtown and there is huge support from LGBTQ for a Memphis WNBA team. 

https://www.change.org/p/wnba-commissioner-cathy-engelbert-bring-wnba-to-memphis

That would be cool if they did. Even if we were a finalist, I think it’s be a long shot to be out the likes of Philly, the Bay Area, and Toronto. Just depends upon what the ownership group would look like compared to competing groups. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

That would be cool if they did. Even if we were a finalist, I think it’s be a long shot to be out the likes of Philly, the Bay Area, and Toronto. Just depends upon what the ownership group would look like compared to competing groups. 

Yea I feel that. Toronto, Philly, bay are are tough competition. Let’s see if they expand further than two in the future that may open up are chances.! With all the New hotels proposed and new dining/ restaurants would love to see us host a NBA all star game and WNBA all star game. We have the infrastructure in place already for W all star and continue to push for more to be a nba all star city 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:58 PM, Memphisborn said:

Should Memphis pursue a WNBA franchise?? The league is about to expand by two teams. Would we support womens sports in Memphis?? 

I personally think it would be well supported, because Ja is very supportive of the WNBA. In addition, one of the WNBA's executives live in Memphis, and the coach of the Chicago Sky is from Frayser. 

The head coach of the Lady Tigers is rebuilding the program and she has restored interest in the Lady Tigers.  There are loads of parents that are faithful to their daughter's high school games and I could see those same people supporting a professional team. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Don't forget Penny, Elliot Perry, and ZBo. I'm sure they would join in with an ownership group. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Don't forget Penny, Elliot Perry, and ZBo. I'm sure they would join in with an ownership group. 

That’s a good point I can definitely see Z Bo he has a daughter that’s playing I can see him wanting to be a owner the wnba franchise is not nearly as expensive as buying a nba franchise can see EP, & Zbo in partnership on this.!

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

That’s a good point I can definitely see Z Bo he has a daughter that’s playing I can see him wanting to be a owner the wnba franchise is not nearly as expensive as buying a nba franchise can see EP, & Zbo in partnership on this.!

The franchise fee for expansion teams may be in the price tag of $15-$20 million.  However, the WNBA has been operating at a loss every single year of its existence - typically around $10 million a year.  This $10 million a year loss is subsidized by the NBA.  The NBA keeps it afloat, while the owners break even, or maybe even lose a little.  Owners really have to want own a team to do it with no return on investment.  Viewership has recently shown growth, so hopefully, they will fare better financially and become self-sufficient.  Salaries are low too, and there will be pressure to raise them.  

Since we're speaking of a theoretical Memphis WNBA team, anybody got any ideas for the team name?

My two ideas are the Memphis Queens and Memphis Unique. 

Queens for multiple meanings - Memphis Queen Riverboat, and with Memphis having the Kings (MLK, Elvis, BB, Albert), Memphis has also had the Queens - (Aretha Franklin Queen of Soul, Tina Turner Queen of Rock 'n Roll, and Koko Taylor Queen of Blues.)  

Unique for Memphis being a unique city and goes along with most WNBA teams having singular names instead of plural.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Since we're speaking of a theoretical Memphis WNBA team, anybody got any ideas for the team name?

My two ideas are the Memphis Queens and Memphis Unique. 

Queens for multiple meanings - Memphis Queen Riverboat, and with Memphis having the Kings (MLK, Elvis, BB, Albert), Memphis has also had the Queens - (Aretha Franklin Queen of Soul, Tina Turner Queen of Rock 'n Roll, and Koko Taylor Queen of Blues.)  

Unique for Memphis being a unique city and goes along with most WNBA teams having singular names instead of plural.  

Memphis Notes,  Memphis Soul, Memphis Tams, Memphis blue notes, Memphis Majesty, Memphis spirit.

Edited by Memphisborn

5 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

I always thought the Pharaohs were a cool nickname from the Arena Football team of the 90's.  

images.png

I do too. If we got an NFL team, that’s probably the name I’d want. Might need a little updating to the colors and graphics, though. 

1 minute ago, MDC26 said:

I do too. If we got an NFL team, that’s probably the name I’d want. Might need a little updating to the colors and graphics, though. 

Yeah, and since then the Grizz and 901 FC have had blue/yellow colors... could definitely be part of a theme.