Memphis Sports

JTM1

21 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Showboats got an updated logo and new color scheme.  Looks like they are going with the Beale St Blue and Gold like the Grizzlies.  The other blue doesn't quite look as dark as Memphis Midnight Blue. 

showboats.jpg

Yea I believe they had to as Steve ernhart etc still own original logo trademark rights maybe a deal can be struck to purchase trademark rights and a alternate retro jersey/ hats/ etc can be produced 

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Showboats got an updated logo and new color scheme.  Looks like they are going with the Beale St Blue and Gold like the Grizzlies.  The other blue doesn't quite look as dark as Memphis Midnight Blue. 

showboats.jpg

Personally, I prefer the other color scheme., because the red gave it a pop. This is going to lead to some great things for Memphis. 

Fred Smith made a phone call, because he liked the USFL product,  and brought the Showboats back to Memphis. This was a business move, and I believe, he has his sight set on something else too.  When I look at the images coming from the press conference, Fred Smith had every political heavy weight from the state, city and county in attendance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t mind having the Showboats back, but I don’t think leadership should settle for minor leagues all the time. There should be a plan for at least one more major franchise (not MLB & hockey) even though the metro population is under 2 mil. So the only choices would be NFL, MLS, NWSL & WNBA - in that order. Why would Fred Smith settle when he’s got the clout and money to do more?

Wouldve also liked the original color scheme. Showboats is a bold name and should be treated thus. The “M” logo is neat though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I don’t mind having the Showboats back, but I don’t think leadership should settle for minor leagues all the time. There should be a plan for at least one more major franchise (not MLB & hockey) even though the metro population is under 2 mil. So the only choices would be NFL, MLS, NWSL & WNBA - in that order. Why would Fred Smith settle when he’s got the clout and money to do more?

Wouldve also liked the original color scheme. Showboats is a bold name and should be treated thus. The “M” logo is neat though. 

WNBA is probably in our future. With Terri Jackson (JJJ) Mom being an executive director for WNBA and we already have NBA franchise here along  with the venue/ practice facility in place. Our chances are good not to mention potential ownership Elliot Perry/ Zbo . 

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

WNBA is probably in our future. With Terri Jackson (JJJ) Mom being an executive director for WNBA and we already have NBA franchise here along  with the venue/ practice facility in place. Our chances are good not to mention potential ownership Elliot Perry/ Zbo . 

I’ll take it, but long term I want the NFL or MLS too. I’ll be greedy and take all three. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I’ll take it, but long term I want the NFL or MLS too. I’ll be greedy and take all three. 

NFL has always been my dream. City would have to be willing to invest 500-600 million into a 2 billion dollar dome.  That’s where the sticking point is. If we are to ever be a NFL city our city leaders are going to have to be willing to go all out on a state of the art stadium.!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Posting this here in addition to the Liberty Park thread since it also involves FedEx Forum.

Bill Lee plans $350M for FedExForum, Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/34013/memphis-fedexforum-simmons-bank-liberty-bowl-350-million-bill-lee

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee included $350 million in funding for renovations to FedExForum and Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium in his proposed budget Monday. 

The $350 million is part of what Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland asked for last fall when he unveiled $684 million worth of stadium plans and asked for legislative help to do it. 

There was no funding listed for the proposed replacement of the Mid-South Coliseum, which would have been turned into a soccer stadium for the Memphis 901 FC.

The governor’s proposed budget document released Monday showed a $350 million grant for non-recurring capital expenses for FedExForum and Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. Strickland had asked for $350 million in cash and it appears, for now, that he got it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Posting this here in addition to the Liberty Park thread since it also involves FedEx Forum.

Bill Lee plans $350M for FedExForum, Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/34013/memphis-fedexforum-simmons-bank-liberty-bowl-350-million-bill-lee

There was no funds allocated for new soccer stadium . Hopefully city leaders will see the stadium needs to go downtown. Union row would be amazing location. I’m still a proponent for the CA site in the Edge District as well either way would be great as long as it’s in the downtown area 

Fred Smith is a smart man.  He knows what he's doing by bringing the USFL back to Memphis.  I wish they went with the old design. 

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/sports/local-sports/memphis-showboats-2023-season-schedule/522-b17d3c77-d77e-451a-a404-ad0ac782b243

27 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

There was no funds allocated for new soccer stadium . Hopefully city leaders will see the stadium needs to go downtown. Union row would be amazing location. I’m still a proponent for the CA site in the Edge District as well either way would be great as long as it’s in the downtown area 

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/metrocity-of-memphis/article/34033/memphis-strickland-fedexforum-simmons-bank-liberty-bowl-autozone-park-901fc-350-million

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said the city is at “halftime” of its ongoing game to renovate or reconstruct four city-owned stadiums, and his administration remains committed to renovations at AutoZone Park and a soccer stadium to replace the Mid-South Coliseum for Memphis 901 FC.

“It’s a huge win to be in the governor’s budget. (It’s) the dollar amount that we asked for, and I’m very excited about that. But to use a football analogy, we’re at halftime and we have a whole other half to play,” Strickland said.

“We have to keep that $350 million in the budget through the legislative process, but also work to increase the locations where we can spend that money. So we’re still committed to 901 FC and building them a new stadium and to the renovations at AutoZone Park.”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Fred Smith is a smart man.  He knows what he's doing by bringing the USFL back to Memphis.  I wish they went with the old design. 

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/sports/local-sports/memphis-showboats-2023-season-schedule/522-b17d3c77-d77e-451a-a404-ad0ac782b243

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/metrocity-of-memphis/article/34033/memphis-strickland-fedexforum-simmons-bank-liberty-bowl-autozone-park-901fc-350-million

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said the city is at “halftime” of its ongoing game to renovate or reconstruct four city-owned stadiums, and his administration remains committed to renovations at AutoZone Park and a soccer stadium to replace the Mid-South Coliseum for Memphis 901 FC.

“It’s a huge win to be in the governor’s budget. (It’s) the dollar amount that we asked for, and I’m very excited about that. But to use a football analogy, we’re at halftime and we have a whole other half to play,” Strickland said.

“We have to keep that $350 million in the budget through the legislative process, but also work to increase the locations where we can spend that money. So we’re still committed to 901 FC and building them a new stadium and to the renovations at AutoZone Park.”

I'm glad they brought them back, but I just don't see how these football leagues can last.  It's no longer the days when you rarely get to watch your NFL or NCAA football team on TV.  Every NFL game and college football game is televised.   These leagues can no longer come into a market to fill the void of giving someone the opportunity to watch football.  NFL and NCAA are such juggernauts, corporate sponsors will be harder to come by.  The pay for players is so low, and there's little to no hope of being able to move up to the NFL.  

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I'm glad they brought them back, but I just don't see how these football leagues can last.  It's no longer the days when you rarely get to watch your NFL or NCAA football team on TV.  Every NFL game and college football game is televised.   These leagues can no longer come into a market to fill the void of giving someone the opportunity to watch football.  NFL and NCAA are such juggernauts, corporate sponsors will be harder to come by.  The pay for players is so low, and there's little to no hope of being able to move up to the NFL.  

I believe the USFL and XFL will eventually merge as one league. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I know nothing about football. How does this make Fred Smith a smart man? It seems like these leagues always fizzle. Hopefully someone can provide some perspective!

Fred Smith has always wanted to own his own NFL team and I know for certain that he has shown interest in the Commanders. 

The USFL, last season, presented a fairly good product and it has the potential to be a premier league that is played in the Spring.  Smith is getting involved because first, he loves football, and he  plans to awaken  a sleeping football culture in Memphis that will rival any other large city. 

Having said that, I do believe he is going to make a bid for the Commanders. 

• Like 3

On 2/8/2023 at 5:58 PM, JTM1 said:

Fred Smith has always wanted to own his own NFL team and I know for certain that he has shown interest in the Commanders. 

The USFL, last season, presented a fairly good product and it has the potential to be a premier league that is played in the Spring.  Smith is getting involved because first, he loves football, and he  plans to awaken  a sleeping football culture in Memphis that will rival any other large city. 

Having said that, I do believe he is going to make a bid for the Commanders. 

I hope so. Had fun going to showboats games in the past. Hopefully this generation of Mid-Southerners will get behind them too. Just not a fan of minor leagues now. We’ve been through that enough. Looking for this to be a springboard for a second major league franchise in the future. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:35 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I hope so. Had fun going to showboats games in the past. Hopefully this generation of Mid-Southerners will get behind them too. Just not a fan of minor leagues now. We’ve been through that enough. Looking for this to be a springboard for a second major league franchise in the future. 

One of the things that I notice about Memphis, is that it's really a sports city, and there are a lot of people here that support different types of sports, and various sports franchises, because Memphis doesn't have one of its own. 

Give the people a good product to support and they will. I predict the Showboats will be a formidable team and I believe the city will get behind them. 

Someone needs to take an aerial photo similar to this and patch in Union Row/The Walk, Bakery District Apartments Phases 1 & 2, the Ravine Park,  the proposed redevelopment of the Office Depot site, and the planned BRT transit stops along Union Avenue. Once done it will be apparent that the missing link is the Commercial Appeal Site. This is where the 901FC Soccer Stadium should be constructed and wrapped with a large parking structure and a mixed use development. FIFA actually has design guidelines for their stadiums at the following link: https://stadiums.fifa.com

C72CE75C-94FE-4A5F-B487-BD6DEB0CC715.jpeg

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

Someone needs to take an aerial photo similar to this and patch in Union Row/The Walk, Bakery District Apartments Phases 1 & 2, the Ravine Park,  the proposed redevelopment of the Office Depot site, and the planned BRT transit stops along Union Avenue. Once done it will be apparent that the missing link is the Commercial Appeal Site. This is where the 901FC Soccer Stadium should be constructed and wrapped with a large parking structure and a mixed use development. FIFA actually has design guidelines for their stadiums at the following link: https://stadiums.fifa.com

C72CE75C-94FE-4A5F-B487-BD6DEB0CC715.jpeg

I have long been an advocate for CA site becoming site for New Soccer stadium. The issue is acquiring the site. 20 million is the asking price. I’m not sure Peter feund, Craig Unger and Tim Howard are prepared financially for that type huge investment. City of Memphis will not imo fork out 20 mill either. They received 350 million from state if they were to leverage that cash in the bond market that may allow for a purchase of the site. I don’t believe that’s the city plan. Remember 901 fc has plans @ their expenses to have soccer fields/ academy/ women pro team and league 3 team. That’s a huge financial investment for a young franchise. The issue is how to make the CA site a reality for SSS, not that it’s not an ideal site 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, MDC26 said:

This is why razing the coliseum is a bad idea, because having another enclosed arena nearby is important in hosting the NBA All Stars. I really would like to see the proposed soccer stadium built somewhere else , because it could be an anchor and catalyst for another entertainment/retail district. Having multiple options is just good for the city overall and we should want the NBA guest to have the best time. Hotels and air service will be most important and the downtown airport will be key for the private jets of the athletes, dignitaries, and stars. The next mayor and city council members need to be visionaries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTM1 said:

This is why razing the coliseum is a bad idea, because having another enclosed arena nearby is important in hosting the NBA All Stars. I really would like to see the proposed soccer stadium built somewhere else , because it could be an anchor and catalyst for another entertainment/retail district. Having multiple options is just good for the city overall and we should want the NBA guest to have the best time. Hotels and air service will be most important and the downtown airport will be key for the private jets of the athletes, dignitaries, and stars. The next mayor and city council members need to be visionaries. 

Downtown Airport?

Unless the stars and dignitaries are flying in on Cessna prop planes, I don’t think the Charles Dewitt Spain airport is an option for private jets. Neither is Charles Baker airport. Would have to be MEM, Olive Branch, Millington, or West Memphis. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JTM1 said:

100 percent agree. MSC should be renovated and kept as the secondary arena. Our city leaders should step up on this issue. As far as Hotels, Air services. Our next mayor should make the proposed Lowes (civic Plaza) GrandHyatt one Beale a top priority to get built. Memphis international is currently undergoing major renovations including adding a second rental car location. Downtown airport I’m not familiar with but it’s good to know we have a private airport downtown 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

100 percent agree. MSC should be renovated and kept as the secondary arena. Our city leaders should step up on this issue. As far as Hotels, Air services. Our next mayor should make the proposed Lowes (civic Plaza) GrandHyatt one Beale a top priority to get built. Memphis international is currently undergoing major renovations including adding a second rental car location. Downtown airport I’m not familiar with but it’s good to know we have a private airport downtown 

I think the renovation plans to become ADA compliant would put fixed seating at MSC at 5,000.  Then you have the ability to have around 2,000 temporary seats around the court.  It would be perfect for an All-Star weekend for the Celebrity All-Star game and the HBCU games and any practices. Landers Center is an adequate facility, but it is far away (17 miles) with MSC only being 4.5 miles. Chicago used their WNBA arena downtown and 5 miles from the United Center, Cleveland used Cleveland St's arena and less than a mile from Rocket Mortgage arena, and Salt Lake used University of Utah's arena which is 4.5 miles away too.  Some cities that have held All-Star weekend in the past and didn't have a 2nd arena, used their convention center with temporary seating.  

Really need those Hotel projects to come back too.  Loew's, Grand Hyatt, Sheraton expansion, The Clipper.  I've thought the 100 N Main could be all hotel.  When Townhouse planned for that, they had 500 hotel rooms planned.  

Regarding the flights, there's only so much that can be done on Memphis' side.  Ultimately, its up to the carriers.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 2