The Governor's Inn Condos

Florida

Is this the right move?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the right move?

• Sure, whatever sells.
    • Not sure.
    • No way! I like this Hotel the way it is.

Make room for condos at the Inn

Governors Inn looks to renovate, rent out its rooms

By Juana Jordan

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

DS2_0040.jpg

The Governors Inn on South Adams Street, the 22-year-old hotel known for its rooms named after Florida governors, is converting most its rooms into condo units. The inn, which closed for renovations two weeks ago, is undergoing its first major renovation since it opened in 1983.

At least 31 of the hotel's 42 rooms will be sold . Similar to the concept used for the Tallahassee Gameday Center Condo currently under construction just a block away.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly... yet Im not sure I like the idea of this particular building going Condo because of its significance as an Upscale Bed and Breakfast near our state capitol. This conversion only intensifies our need for another hotel in the downtown area which I hope will be coming some time soon.

Just throwing this out there, I'd like to see more creativity thrown into the design of our next hotel. High rise 23-26 stories, blue glass prominent, round curves and a diamond shaped roof. It would be perfect where the post office currently sits downtown. :)

Just throwing this out there, I'd like to see more creativity thrown into the design of our next hotel. High rise 23-26 stories, blue glass prominent, round curves and a diamond shaped roof. It would be perfect where the post office currently sits downtown. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that spot is prime, even constructing a new post office in the ground floor might fit the downtown plan well,and with influx of resedential, i know that the post office would struggle.

Did you mean to say the post office would struggle.

I've even had thoughts of petitioning to move the Post office back into the Federal Building they now call the Bankrupt Court... if they would do that it would give us a reason to go into that building... Im dying to see the inside.

I've always thought this current site of our downtown post office could be the next Kleman Plaza better connecting the core government buildings like City Hall and the Capitol and the Supreme court with the Library.

Did you mean to say the post office would struggle.

I've even had thoughts of petitioning to move the Post office back into the Federal Building they now call the Bankrupt Court... if they would do that it would give us a reason to go into that building... Im dying to see the inside.

I've always thought this current site of our downtown post office could be the next Kleman Plaza better connecting the core government buildings like City Hall and the Capitol and the Supreme court with the Library.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What historical buildings would we lose if that entire blcok was chopped into a kleman, because i think i heard of a twin plaza. i think it is a great idea. and yes, that post office is crap as it is... so if the city isnt thinking about what to do with it.... i think a large office building would love to wear a state of the art downtown post office as a shoe.

How about we leave the building on the corner where the nice Historic brick building is with the Clock. We take the rest of the plaza grounding up the parking lot and demolishing the post office. We'd open up a path to lead to the Public Library. Either this or the building can be designed to allow flow-thru from the Library to the Kleman Plaza side.

The building should probably have surface-plus parking (non-underground) for about 4-5 levels, then office space stacked above. I'd gamble with this since the parcel is larger and say 30 Stories could be the limit. The post office could occupy the bottom level of the building, it could have a few floors of retail (I've been in similar high rise buildings with retail centers inside). The building could house some residential units, possibly a hotel, possibly many of the associations that are now scattered onto sites that could also be used for redevelopment.... any ideas?

Sounds like a nice set-up... a few things... 1. why not underground parking like the Kleman 2. can that beautiful brick building be presserved 3. if presserved, would anyone see it beneath the backdrop of a towering project. and my fourth and final thought... i heard that tallahassee will not allow for anything taller than the capital building. i know the plaza tower sounds tall, but its top will not reach the same elevation.. is this true or is it talllahassee lore?

did the tallahassee dem have an article recently about a new plaza to the south rather than the north of kleman? i thought i saw that online today. i dont think closing any dowtown roads is a good idea now. but development conversatiions are great ideas...

fun idea. N. monroe the first block N of capital before college, a development that straddles all the buildings and rises above them. presserve the old and make some extra shade for everyone sitting in traffic. ((can you tell i am not an engineer!)

fun idea. N. monroe the first block N of capital before college, a development that straddles all the buildings and rises above them. presserve the old and make some extra shade for everyone sitting in traffic. ((can you tell i am not an engineer!)

Is that something like what you have in mind? I don't like the conceptual buildings here, but I think that corner you're talking about is part of that huge gap in our skyline. In that case we do need a little something thats going to fill the void.

BOARD5.jpg

where did you get that image... that is wild looking, but yes. something that would allow the buildings that have been there for a good long time to stay, but still creep skyward above them, like building atop the history. what an awsome attraction it would be... just to see it

• 3 months later...

take into consideration the list of those interested for the democrate... people who can rent out the room for more than half of the year, with the equity, I mean it is an awsome option for investing spenders. They will have thier home and can rent to people who also will support the economy DT. Its win win. If i were an investing man, i would buy one here, and about 5 more cities. They would pay for themeseves in 10 years in fun and money.

Iono... I'm kinda still without opinion on the occupants. I see pros and cons to both. Young professionals are cool. I just don't want this to turn into a snobby district.

What does this mean? Young people good...old people bad? Young professionals are just as capable as being snobby as anyone else...trust me.

And who can afford a $500K condo (FYI, which pretty much all these high rise condos are) that won't be 'snobby'?

Archived