Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

1 hour ago, Urbs42 said:

As a point of reference, the Charlotte Knights stadium (Truist Field) took 18 months to complete. 

Working on a similar timeline, we'll need to break ground on the new squirrelly gates by September 2023 at the latest. 

Good info! 

"Squirrley gates" -- :tw_joy::tw_joy:   ... I LOVE it!! :tw_thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Urbs42 said:

As a point of reference, the Charlotte Knights stadium (Truist Field) took 18 months to complete. 

Working on a similar timeline, we'll need to break ground on the new squirrelly gates by September 2023 at the latest. 

Bid scheduled to be awarded this summer, so ~2 months to break ground after winning the bid. Seems quick, no idea if that's doable.

Edit doh, Sept 23. That's plenty of time

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Bid scheduled to be awarded this summer, so ~2 months to break ground after winning the bid. Seems quick, no idea if that's doable.

That DOES seem very quick. 

Another thought: even if they had to get a very fast/early jump on ballpark construction, I'm thinking it's a safe bet that they'd take quite a bit more time in building out the rest of the mixed-use portion of the Diamond District that would be part of the overall plan around the stadium. I can imagine sitting in the stands and seeing buildings being constructed beyond center field -- much like has been the case with Petco Park in San Diego or the newest stadium in Atlanta - were the ballpark was built and then the rest of the development sprung up around it during the next couple of years that followed. I see that happening here.

That would actually be pretty cool. Imagine going to a Squirrels game the first year that the ballpark is open and only a portion of the Diamond District has been built out - but more buildings are under construction. Then going the next season, and more of the district is built out and even more buildings are rising. And this process happening for a couple of seasons. That would be pretty neat, all in all.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

That DOES seem very quick. 

Another thought: even if they had to get a very fast/early jump on ballpark construction, I'm thinking it's a safe bet that they'd take quite a bit more time in building out the rest of the mixed-use portion of the Diamond District that would be part of the overall plan around the stadium. I can imagine sitting in the stands and seeing buildings being constructed beyond center field -- much like has been the case with Petco Park in San Diego or the newest stadium in Atlanta - were the ballpark was built and then the rest of the development sprung up around it during the next couple of years that followed. I see that happening here.

That would actually be pretty cool. Imagine going to a Squirrels game the first year that the ballpark is open and only a portion of the Diamond District has been built out - but more buildings are under construction. Then going the next season, and more of the district is built out and even more buildings are rising. And this process happening for a couple of seasons. That would be pretty neat, all in all.

I’ve been to truist park and the battery in Marietta and loved it. Very nice new district just outside of atlanta in Cobb county. Im excited to see what the new ballpark will look like. If you compare turner field and truist it’s like night and day. They had been trying to build on the empty lots around turner and nothing ever happened with it so that’s one of the reasons they decided to build in Cobb county near I-285. I loved my hotel room view too you could see the stadium in the distance and looked huge from where I was staying and it was kind of a ways off like maybe a couple miles from where I stayed.

• Like 3

Really????  I don't mean to offend, but I live in Atlanta and I find Truist Park and the Battery so sterile, manufactured, and not urban. All of it is very nice, there are fun restaurants, bars, and an area to enjoy after the game. But there's no transit option aside from an insane bus ride, traffic is bonkers, and it's all so very Short Pump feeling without any of Atlanta's dynamic edgy vibe. I get that for the vast majority of the fan base in metro Atlanta, it's likely easier to access now so it may make economic sense for the Braves. Ironically, the area by the former Braves stadium, Summerhill, has EXPLODED with AWESOME real urban infill since the Braves moved out (check it out: https://atlanta.urbanize.city/neighborhood/summerhill). The Braves could have done a lot to add to the urban setting and capture the profits, but when they were there, they held a lot of the area for surface lots and it stymied investment. Then they tried to extort the city for funds and I am so glad Atlanta said no. Just as I am so glad Richmond told the Braves no 14 years ago (Gwinnett County is STILL deep in debt from that deal).  Anyway, my whole point here is that I hope the Diamond District is urban and vital and not a manufactured sterile bubble. I also lived in LA for 7 years and I can tell you that LA Live and the area around Staples Center has the same "safe suburban manufactured entertainment zone" feeling. It did help inject investment in downtown, but the rest of downtown LA has EXPLODED and is so much more awesome. Both Summerhill in Atlanta and downtown LA would have gotten where they got to without a big suburban sports-anchored entertainment zone. The Diamond District is in such a prime area so I hope we don't force something contrived. The market will do its thing in this location, which begs for urban connectivity, vibrancy, and authenticity. My two cents with a clear bias to urban living for better or worse:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t been to Truist Park but I can concur that LA Live is the pits and is the lamest part of downtown Los Angeles.   You can’t force cool or urban.  I’m always apprehensive when one developer gets a hold of such a big piece of land.   Everything very quickly becomes matchy-matchy and cheap looking  (same building materials used over and over….sidewalks, planters and building walls all made out of the same materials).   Yuck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Haven’t been to Truist Park but I can concur that LA Live is the pits and is the lamest part of downtown Los Angeles.   You can’t force cool or urban.  I’m always apprehensive when one developer gets a hold of such a big piece of land.   Everything very quickly becomes matchy-matchy and cheap looking  (same building materials used over and over….sidewalks, planters and building walls all made out of the same materials).   Yuck. 

Yep - I'm with you. It's even worse (IMNSHO) when it's attempted in historic districts when multiple infill projects are all developed together to "look like" the original buildings that had long-since vanished. I find pre-fab history to be every bit as disgusting as pre-fab urbanized uni-development. Like you said - everything is made out of the same building materials - and the sidewalks, planters, street lighting, even traffic signals all just look down right hokey and silly.

That said, I really hope these folks who do the Diamond District do it up right!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can see the city choosing this one.  They have the least dynamic designs that are already on Richmond’s scale.  Not saying I want this group to be selected,  just saying that the rendering shown in the article already looks like it exists in Richmond. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I can see the city choosing this one.  They have the least dynamic designs that are already on Richmond’s scale.  Not saying I want this group to be selected,  just saying that the rendering shown in the article are alt looks like it exists in Richmond. 

@Brent114-- this rant is not aimed at you or your use of the term "Richmond scale". It's aimed at the overall concept of what we presume to be "Richmond scale" because it is something that unfortunately appears to be quite real. I think you hit the nail on the head and are 100% correct in your assessment. Just so you know - I'm not yelling at you or criticizing your point here, yeah? :tw_thumbsup:

THAT said:

Regarding this group's designs: if what you suggest is the case, then it is in-and-of itself is exactly why I hope they AREN'T selected if all they're going to build is something that would be in line with what is presumed to be Richmond scale. We need to break the mold and redefine (and expand!!!) what Richmond scale is. THIS KIND OF THING IS EXACTLY what I was talking about in a different thread and is a perfect example of what I consider to be "settling."  I am SICK AND DAMN TIRED of RVA settling for this "honey I shrunk the city" sized view of what Richmond scale is.

We can -- and MUST -- do better.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

I agree,  of course.  It’s just that when I opened this article this morning, it already looked familiar.   My mind was trying to place it in Richmond, like it was already built here lol.   I was trying to place it with the Hardywood area developments. Then I reminded myself that it’s just an example of some work that this development company has done. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 1

[steps onto soapbox]...Ahem....

@I miss RVA I share in your frustration.  It's quite curious that some of Richmond's biggest cheerleaders are those who used to live in Richmond, but no longer live there.  When I go back home to Richmond (because it is indeed my hometown), I feel this sense that many of those there cannot see the forest for the trees (that's the best way I can describe it).   Many in Richmond don't see Richmond's potential.  There exists this sentiment that Richmond will never become more than what it currently is.  Admittedly, there are more and more people starting to see what we, who live away from Richmond, see.  We see the potential, we see Richmond's greatness, but we have an advantage because we don't have to live with the daily frustrations that exist (we are sort of immune to those experiences for now, but we do remember them and I'm reminded of them when I visit).   From afar, we can see past all of the negatives and focus on Richmond's positives (which are many).  We can envision what Richmond can become and we are begging the city to lurch forward...we are cheering for the people of Richmond to move the city upward!  Don't get bogged down in the old ways of thinking - drop those thoughts like a hot potato! 

My wish would be that the people of Richmond could take a step away and see what we see - experience our dreams and visions for the area.  If only Richmond could catch the vision we see, grasp onto the idea that Richmond can and deserves to be the HOT city east of the Mississippi.  Richmond, don't be afraid of growth.  Swing for the fences!  Go for the big "fish," not the minnows!  Don't expect "Richmond-level" projects - expect better and much more than that!  Richmond needs to get over its self-esteem issues and be confident that it can be as great, if not greater, than the Nashvilles, Raleighs, and Charlottes out there.  I think it is happening...slowly, but there is much more work to do.  Richmond can be, and needs to become, a destination city - capitalize on its current assets and create new ones that will be a draw for tourists, businesses, and for all people to plant roots!  No longer be the sleepy city of the South.  Stand up, find your place on the map, create an awesome reputation.  Make people and businesses think of Richmond for everything desirable that people and businesses believe to be the best qualities to possess!  Start today, start now - shake off the low self-esteem, don't get bogged down, and aim for the stars (as the city's very own motto suggests)!  

Sic Itur Ad Astra!!

[steps off soapbox]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I agree,  of course.  It’s just that when I opened this article this morning, it already looked familiar.   My mind was trying to place it in Richmond, like it was already built here lol.   I was trying to place it with the Hardywood area developments. Then I reminded myself that it’s just an example of some work that this development company has done. 

Spot on, my friend. I had somewhat of that same feeling - and frankly it was very unsettling to me.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:57 PM, eandslee said:

[steps onto soapbox]...Ahem....

@I miss RVA I share in your frustration.  It's quite curious that some of Richmond's biggest cheerleaders are those who used to live in Richmond, but no longer live there.  When I go back home to Richmond (because it is indeed my hometown), I feel this sense that many of those there cannot see the forest for the trees (that's the best way I can describe it).   Many in Richmond don't see Richmond's potential.  There exists this sentiment that Richmond will never become more than what it currently is.  Admittedly, there are more and more people starting to see what we, who live away from Richmond, see.  We see the potential, we see Richmond's greatness, but we have an advantage because we don't have to live with the daily frustrations that exist (we are sort of immune to those experiences for now, but we do remember them and I'm reminded of them when I visit).   From afar, we can see past all of the negatives and focus on Richmond's positives (which are many).  We can envision what Richmond can become and we are begging the city to lurch forward...we are cheering for the people of Richmond to move the city upward!  Don't get bogged down in the old ways of thinking - drop those thoughts like a hot potato! 

My wish would be that the people of Richmond could take a step away and see what we see - experience our dreams and visions for the area.  If only Richmond could catch the vision we see, grasp onto the idea that Richmond can and deserves to be the HOT city east of the Mississippi.  Richmond, don't be afraid of growth.  Swing for the fences!  Go for the big "fish," not the minnows!  Don't expect "Richmond-level" projects - expect better and much more than that!  Richmond needs to get over its self-esteem issues and be confident that it can be as great, if not greater, than the Nashvilles, Raleighs, and Charlottes out there.  I think it is happening...slowly, but there is much more work to do.  Richmond can be, and needs to become, a destination city - capitalize on its current assets and create new ones that will be a draw for tourists, businesses, and for all people to plant roots!  No longer be the sleepy city of the South.  Stand up, find your place on the map, create an awesome reputation.  Make people and businesses think of Richmond for everything desirable that people and businesses believe to be the best qualities to possess!  Start today, start now - shake off the low self-esteem, don't get bogged down, and aim for the stars (as the city's very own motto suggests)!  

Sic Itur Ad Astra!!

[steps off soapbox]

Well said all the way around, @eandsleeand I agree on all fronts.  I'd like to add a corollary to your thoughts:

I was chatting with one of our friends from Carolina last night - and the point was made that one of the BIGGEST problems RVA has is the LACK of desire on the part of SO many locals to let the city take off the shackles and gettison the growth regulator and just let the place explode with growth. As our friend pointed out - the reason Charlotte blew up - and the reason Raleigh is blowing up - is that the people have WANTED these places to grow and to do so aggressively. For a plethora of reasons that either make absolutely NO sense to me or I disagree with wholeheartedly and with every fiber of my being and existance, far too many denizens of our fair hometown DON'T want us to grow. They WANT to hold us back. For a goodly chunk of folk - I don't think it's strictly a matter of they don't think we can do it. I think they KNOW we can do it - but they DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN. So they do EVERYTHING they can to hold the city back.

It's worked for 50-plus years of my lifetime, let me tell you that!

There are far too many who cling like their lives depend on it to the old ways of thinking. I agree with you - that perhaps those of us who were born and raised in RVA - but have moved away and have experienced other places, see the potential of what RVA could be. We're NOT satisfied with the "sleepy southern town" mantle that unfortunately so many see as the holy grail of RVA life. We CAN see the city's potential to be FAR more than she is. FAR more than she has been for the past five decades. FAR more than she's given credit for.

We've fallen far behind the cities with which we compete for jobs, companies, residents, airline service, and other things. The Nashvilles, Raleighs, Charlottes, Austins etc., of the world are LIGHT YEARS ahead of us now - and that didn't used to be the case. We've spent far too many decades fishing for minnows when we should have been fishing for Orcas. 

It's SO frustrating!

@eandslee  If you haven't seen it yet, have a look at some population estimates I posted over on the CoStar/Foundry Park thread. I did a little workup last night demonstrating where RVA COULD have been had she not busied herself with losing fully one quarter of the city's population over the course of 35 years. It's quite shocking what could have been.

• Like 1