Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

26 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Rendering courtesy of Northmarq snipped from LinkedIN - this will be the largest piece of hardywood Village facing Overbrook - 1601 Overbrook Road.

Hvillage_render.jpg

I like the look of these!  This will look great in that part of town.  I like the street-front retail component.  Great find and thanks for posting!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

I like the look of these!  This will look great in that part of town.  I like the street-front retail component.  Great find and thanks for posting!

Agreed. Wow - this part of town is changing fast. And this is really only the beginning. I can't wait to see what this neighborhood will look like in 3 to 5 years.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

New ABC headquarters has opened. Still facing a long transition (estimated 18 months) until it's fully operational, and the Hermitage site can be cleared. 

Curious if anyone knows how the RFP process will play out given that we're looking at 2024/2025 until a new Squirrels stadium is ready. Say the city issues an RFP this year to develop the current site of the Diamond and the winner is selected in 2022. Will that developer just have to sit on this project for several more years until redevelopment can begin? 

https://richmond.com/sports/flying-squirrels/richmond-may-be-closer-to-a-replacement-for-the-diamond-with-hanover-abc-site-opening/article_cc239ead-05a3-5449-8487-2604fc9eb666.amp.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urbs42 said:

New ABC headquarters has opened. Still facing a long transition (estimated 18 months) until it's fully operational, and the Hermitage site can be cleared. 

Curious if anyone knows how the RFP process will play out given that we're looking at 2024/2025 until a new Squirrels stadium is ready. Say the city issues an RFP this year to develop the current site of the Diamond and the winner is selected in 2022. Will that developer just have to sit on this project for several more years until redevelopment can begin? 

https://richmond.com/sports/flying-squirrels/richmond-may-be-closer-to-a-replacement-for-the-diamond-with-hanover-abc-site-opening/article_cc239ead-05a3-5449-8487-2604fc9eb666.amp.html

The latest I saw was the city expected to issue the RFP by the end of this summer. Hopefully they get the planning done and contracts in place concurrently with the last of the relocation of the ABC instead of waiting until its empty to do anything else.

• Like 3

• Icetera changed the title to Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District
  • 3 weeks later...

Scott's Walk has been butchered even more.   Now you get THREE drive-thrus for the price of one! :tw_rage:

If you look closely, it seems like a Starbucks, a Chipotle, and I can't make out logo on the building I assume will be a Chic-Fil-A with the double drive-thru.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/ScottsWalk.pdf

Edited by rjp212
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Scott's Walk has been butchered even more.   Now you get THREE drive-thrus for the price one one! :tw_rage:

If you look closely, it seems like a Starbucks, a Chipotle, and I can't make out logo on the building I assume will be a Chic-Fil-A with the double drive-thru.

That’s an abomination.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Scott's Walk has been butchered even more.   Now you get THREE drive-thrus for the price one one! :tw_rage:

I zoomed in on what looks like a chick fil a and it’s not a chick fil a. Turns out it is a canes chicken joint. I zoomed in as close as I could and recognized the logo and name. Lord what are you doing Richmond. Parking lots should be forbidden in this part of town. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Scott's Walk has been butchered even more.   Now you get THREE drive-thrus for the price of one! :tw_rage:

I'm just writing this side of the Boulevard off, that Wawa and now these, guess there's always the need for this stuff just off the interstate and developers gonna develop. On a side note, I had never eaten at a Cane's or an In-n-out burger and was able to do so a few years back in Dallas.  One after we landed at the airport and one on the way back, both right beside each other,  Canes was pretty good and so was In-n-out. They're like a cult following I think, maybe we could get an In-n-out burger just to run the table.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hike said:

I'm just writing this side of the Boulevard off, that Wawa and now these, guess there's always the need for this stuff just off the interstate and developers gonna develop. On a side note, I had never eaten at a Cane's or an In-n-out burger and was able to do so a few years back in Dallas.  One after we landed at the airport and one on the way back, both right beside each other,  Canes was pretty good and so was In-n-out. They're like a cult following I think, maybe we could get an In-n-out burger just to run the table.

Don’t forget the car wash right next to the wawa. They have absolutely ruined this part of the boulevard. 

• Like 2

All of that surface parking, low density garbage right on Arthur Ashe?  Across from the diamond?  Unbelievable - how is this even real life??

Would love for someone to explain to me how this fits into any AA/Scott’s Addition master plan.  I thought this was what we were trying to replace?

Edited by Virginian11
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Virginian11 said:

All of that surface parking, low density garbage right on Arthur Ashe?  Across from the diamond?  Unbelievable - how is this even real life??

Would love for someone to explain to me how this fits into any AA/Scott’s Addition master plan.  I thought this was what we were trying to replace?

Absolutely!  This looks nothing like the Richmond 300 renderings that were released! :shok:  Can’t figure this one out either. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hike said:

lol once I saw a car wash going in that prime space I thought the same thing.  Better than what's there now though and can chalk it up to being right off the interstate.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

lol once I saw a car wash going in that prime space I thought the same thing.  Better than what's there now though and can chalk it up to being right off the interstate.

Now if they can replace the old dilapidated hotels right next to the interstate in that area, it would be great!  That might make the surface lots/suburban development along AAB a little easier to swallow.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, rjp212 said:

They need to rename this to Scott's Park & Ride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Absolutely!  This looks nothing like the Richmond 300 renderings that were released! :shok:  Can’t figure this one out either. 

The ink isn't even dry yet on the Richmond300 Plan and already it's getting blown up. Where are the planners or the city council or the architectural review bots on this?  I bet the Fan NIMBY clowns (like the pompous jackass on rva/reddit who thought he was Barney Baddazz & decided to attack me on the forum with anger, vitriol and insults rather than actually debate and argue his point - proof positive he HAD no argument to begin with!!) -- are just EATING THIS UP! I'm sure they want all the suburban-style drive-in type businesses in that part of Greater Scott's - another throwback to the "heyday" of 1950s Richmond when that WAS that part of the Boulevard in those days. Jesus...

The city will sure as hell step in and kibosh a highrise that too many NIMBYs don't like using the old "inconsistent with the fabric of the neighborhood or of the vision for the area" trope ... but God-forbid they kibosh these wastes of space using the same argument (and given the provisions of the Richmond300 Plan for that stretch of A.A. Boulevard, the city would be 100% correct in stepping in and putting a stop to this!)

I swear -- RVA's powers that be can't govern their way out of a wet paper bag. SO lamentable. :tw_confused:

• Sad 1

In all fairness, the Richmond300 plan is a long term plan.  Most of these buildings have a 15-20 year life span before they will be redeveloped.  What I hate most about them, is drive-thru's cause traffic backups.    The average joe will blame the traffic on the urban, walkable development instead of aiming it at the highway commercial mess Scotts Walk is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

In all fairness, the Richmond300 plan is a long term plan.  Most of these buildings have a 15-20 year life span before they will be redeveloped.  What I hate most about them, is drive-thru's cause traffic backups.    The average joe will blame the traffic on the urban, walkable development instead of aiming it at the highway commercial mess Scotts Walk is.

Good points, all the way around. That 15-20 year shelf life of these buildings really bums me out. At the age of 58, I'm praying I live long enough to see these areas significantly redevelop. I'll be 78 in 20 years - provided I make it that far.

• 5 weeks later...