Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

It’s crazy.  With everything else going on I forgot all about the ballpark development lol 

I don’t love it but can’t wait to see it actually get built.  Fun times! 

Same here. Very interested to see the final design and how it will be integrated into a greater overall development that will make up Phase I.

11 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Same here. Very interested to see the final design and how it will be integrated into a greater overall development that will make up Phase I.

I hope they build it as a "gathering" venue instead of just a focus on baseball. I love the St. Paul baseball stadium as it didn't force you to watch baseball the entire time - one could walk around the stadium 360 and hang out with friends while baseball played in front of us. We sat on the grass, on seats, benches,  etc. It felt like we were always mobile and weren't forced to sit in one designated seat the entire time. I really enjoyed it as it was so laid back and easy to be social during the game. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I hope they build it as a "gathering" venue instead of just a focus on baseball. I love the St. Paul baseball stadium as it didn't force you to watch baseball the entire time - one could walk around the stadium 360 and hang out with friends while baseball played in front of us. We sat on the grass, on seats, benches,  etc. It felt like we were always mobile and weren't forced to sit in one designated seat the entire time. I really enjoyed it as it was so laid back and easy to be social during the game. 

I think that’s pretty much the way it will go. It’s the trend for sure.

For a smaller version, imagine the FredNats ballpark (if anyone else has been there). Big concourses, more concessions, open areas for viewing the game when not sitting, even a kids playground and grassy space. Before getting married and having kids, I used to mock these things as a “mall park.” But now I see these facets as essential.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

For a smaller version, imagine the FredNats ballpark (if anyone else has been there). Big concourses, more concessions, open areas for viewing the game when not sitting, even a kids playground and grassy space. Before getting married and having kids, I used to mock these things as a “mall park.” But now I see these facets as essential.

"Mall Park" :tw_joy:

Strangely enough, I can actually see that concept working pretty well here. Make the whole place a family-friendly, kid-friendly kind of environment and I think we'll see a lot of folks showing up for games, which is a win-win from a lot of different perspectives, particularly for the Squirrels. 

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Strangely enough, I can actually see that concept working pretty well here. Make the whole place a family-friendly, kid-friendly kind of environment and I think we'll see a lot of folks showing up for games, which is a win-win from a lot of different perspectives, particularly for the Squirrels. 

It seems the beer concessions are the most popular part of Squirrels games, and unlike the Braves the Squirrels realize they are in the family entertainment business, not the sports business, and they are good at it.  I can see them going all in on this type of park and it being very successful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

It seems the beer concessions are the most popular part of Squirrels games, and unlike the Braves the Squirrels realize they are in the family entertainment business, not the sports business, and they are good at it.  I can see them going all in on this type of park and it being very successful.

I wonder if that difference -- family entertainment business vs the sports business -- is something inherent to the level of baseball? Meaning - the Braves were a AAA club - and there is a much greater vested interest in running the organization like a baseball club and putting the focus on player development, etc. - and as such, aside from promotions, stuff like you might see at a Squirrels' game might be considered ancillary to running a baseball club that's directly involved in moving players up the pipeline to the major leagues.

Dunno if that's the case - but it's a thought.

5 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Went to college in Fred and I’ll say that ballpark is designed beautifully, but I do hate the location. I counted and they have as many food vendors there (single a) as the diamond (double a) does. Hopefully lots of food and restaurant options are added in the new ballpark and possibly a brew pub overlooking the field would be very cool.

Can’t wait to see the final designs that come out!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Went to college in Fred and I’ll say that ballpark is designed beautifully, but I do hate the location. I counted and they have as many food vendors there (single a) as the diamond (double a) does. Hopefully lots of food and restaurant options are added in the new ballpark and possibly a brew pub overlooking the field would be very cool.

Can’t wait to see the final designs that come out!

Agreed, @blopp1234-- particularly as the ballpark will be integrated in some respect to the surrounding development - it would be VERY cool for a brew pub to be part of the mix so that patrons would have a good view of the action on the field.

Hey - maybe if Legends wanted to move and have a different "view" ... just sayin'... :tw_wink:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The entertainment venue is up and running near the Diamond District and ready to open for business. Especially if you have kids, this honestly looks like a lot of fun. We have a few of these kinds of places particularly in the suburbs around Chicagoland - and my kids LOVED going to them. My daughter in particular loved dragging me there with her to play. It was a lot of fun. 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/28/8m-entertainment-venue-the-park-at-rva-opens-this-week/

Park2-2048x1365.jpg

Park1-2048x1130.jpg

Park7a-2048x1245.jpg

Park6-2048x1230.jpg

Screenshot (2502).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Hike said:

When the project was first announced I thought they’d have a hard time pulling it off.  Seeing this now, feel they’ve done a good job creating an integrated theme, looks like quality design and nice features, it may work, I hope they do well.

image.png.92208bba46e985584c4166e7b8e6ff37.png !!! Agreed, @Hike This looks like a really nice venue - and actually it looks a lot nicer and a lot more put together and thought out than some of the places I've taken my kids in Chicagoland. I hope they do well. They've put a ton of work and invested a lot of money in this - I wish them great success!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Our family will definitely be checking it out. It does look a bit janky from 95 but it’s what’s inside that counts.

Honestly, I think all these places look kinda janky from the outside. The ones here around the Chicago suburbs certainly do. But inside - a whole different world. And the kids just go NUTS with how much fun they have. Definitely worth a trip with the little ones to give them a day of fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Thankfully nobody was hurt, but the Quality Inn caught on fire yesterday.   Things seem to catch on fire right before they are bulldozed here...

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/one-person-rescued-from-richmond-hotel-fire-26-rooms-left-uninhabitable/

I was thinking the same when I saw that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Thankfully nobody was hurt, but the Quality Inn caught on fire yesterday.   Things seem to catch on fire right before they are bulldozed here...

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/one-person-rescued-from-richmond-hotel-fire-26-rooms-left-uninhabitable/

Yeah, they do - don't they!! Funny how that works! :tw_joy: