Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

I’m not against moving the station (though it’s childish to move around existing and working services ).  The center of gravity is moving towards the current location though and Greyhound isn’t here to serve downtown, it’s here  to serve all of metro Richmond.  If there’s a push to move the station, I’m not aware of it. There’s a push to make it disappear (seeing poor people is  such a downer while I’m eating tacos) but that’s not a plan to replace it.  The cart is way before the horse here and it’s more likely that we will just lose the station in the city than a new shiny one will be built downtown. 

I cannot understand the desire by some on this thread to move jobs and services out of the city.  It takes magical thinking to believe we’ll be left with a more dynamic neighborhood after we remove all economic diversity, travelers and employers.  

Edited by Brent114

I do like the idea of an integrated service into a convenient location, not convinced that’s Main Street station, perhaps adjacent, but doubt that will happen. How about back on broad street, like it was until 1985, I think near 4th and broad was the location. In 1982, when I first moved here, I would go there, probably once a week, and pick up shipped supplies being transferred from elsewhere. Yes, goods were shipped on the bus. Does anyone remember this location?

8203634B-987E-4F19-ABD9-7618B5D134AD.jpeg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some kind of transfer plaza at Main St Station always made sense to me, whether its Greyhound or GRTC.  There was swaths of surface parking there, much of it undeveloped because it's a flood plain. Well what is a transfer station? Largely a big parking lot, just with some cover and a small building.  Seems like a good fit for those surface lots, plus integrate buses into the train station for a transport hub.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I’m not against moving the station (though it’s childish to move around existing and working services ).  The center of gravity is moving towards the current location though and Greyhound isn’t here to serve downtown, it’s here  to serve all of metro Richmond.  If there’s a push to move the station, I’m not aware of it. There’s a push to make it disappear (seeing poor people is  such a downer while I’m eating tacos) but that’s not a plan to replace it.  The cart is way before the horse here and it’s more likely that we will just lose the station in the city than a new shiny one will be built downtown. 

I cannot understand the desire by some on this thread to move jobs and services out of the city.  It takes magical thinking to believe we’ll be left with a more dynamic neighborhood after we remove all economic diversity, travelers and employers.  

The outcome really has nothing to do with anyone here or maybe even locally. A German company bought the business but not the real estate. The former owner now wants to dispose of the real estate. They’ll do so to the best buyer. Did the new owner of the business structure a long term lease on the real estate as part of the sale to protect their operation at this location? Is it something short term that favors the owner of the land? Does the owner of the business have a different model regarding bus stations/terminals? Could the new German owner of the business step in and buy the real estate to preserve its presence here? Ultimately the choices these two entities have made will dictate the outcome here, and that has nothing to do with classism. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hike said:

I do like the idea of an integrated service into a convenient location, not convinced that’s Main Street station, perhaps adjacent, but doubt that will happen. How about back on broad street, like it was until 1985, I think near 4th and broad was the location. In 1982, when I first moved here, I would go there, probably once a week, and pick up shipped supplies being transferred from elsewhere. Yes, goods were shipped on the bus. Does anyone remember this location?

8203634B-987E-4F19-ABD9-7618B5D134AD.jpeg

Love the classic photo of the old downtown Greyhound station at 412 E. Broad Street - between 4th and 5th, where the southernmost portion of the convention center stands today. Especially relative to the current station in Greater Scott's, this was a very small bus depot -- surprisingly small in fact -- and not consistent with the kinds of terminals seen in bigger cities of the day. Unfortunately, this depot had a very much "small(er) town" look and feel to it. Ditto the former Trailways bus depot farther east on Broad Street, near City Hall.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa man!  Watch out over on the RBS website today, especially, if you click on the story on the Diamond…lots of discussion, debate, and opinions are flying!  I think RBS touched a sensitive nurve with this story, but I gotta tell ya, it’s kind of wrong to force the city to make $3.5M in upgrades to a facility that’s about to be torn down…on the flip side, Richmond has had years (dare I say, decades) to build a new ballpark!  Either way, this new stadium will not be ready in time for the 2025 season. How is that going to play out?  Heck, shovels should be hitting the dirt no later than mid March and we haven’t even seen a rendering!  None of the prep work (i.e. permits, etc.) has even started.  This is a disaster in the making for sure. Why can’t the city get their crap together!  Geez!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/23/mlb-required-upgrades-to-the-diamond-could-cost-city-3-5m/

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Whoa man!  Watch out over on the RBS website today, especially, if you click on the story on the Diamond…lots of discussion, debate, and opinions are flying!  I think RBS touched a sensitive nurve with this story, but I gotta tell ya, it’s kind of wrong to force the city to make $3.5M in upgrades to a facility that’s about to be torn down…on the flip side, Richmond has had years (dare I say, decades) to build a new ballpark!  Either way, this new stadium will not be ready in time for the 2025 season. How is that going to play out?  Heck, shovels should be hitting the dirt no later than mid March and we haven’t even seen a rendering!  None of the prep work (i.e. permits, etc.) has even started.  This is a disaster in the making for sure. Why can’t the city get their crap together!  Geez!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/23/mlb-required-upgrades-to-the-diamond-could-cost-city-3-5m/

Yeah, saw this too, just shook my head and thought man, the continuing saga of the baseball stadium. I thought like you did, can’t there be some exception knowing a new park is very close. But yeah, it’s not like we didn’t know for years, maybe they can come up with some compromise that could reduce this cost, since it’s all just going right in the landfill shortly, we hope so anyway.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

I think there-in lies the point: the city has had 10, 15 even 20 years now to address this, and the powers that be really only got up off the couch and took some kind of legitimate, substantive action AFTER their feet were held to the fire at the prospect of losing a SECOND minor-league baseball team. You'd think that the Braves having walked outta here a decade and a half ago would have been enough of a clarion wakeup call. And even then - we STILL DON'T EVEN HAVE A CDA IN PLACE TO SORT OUT SELLING BONDS, MUCH LESS STARTING ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION!

HOW is it possible that the city is STILL foot-dragging this issue SO badly? Loads of hoopla about the process. Lots of press. Lots of announcements and photo ops and beautiful renderings and bids for firms competing to win the development. And here we are - two years out to MLB's imposed deadline - WHICH THE CITY HAD KNOWN ABOUT WELL BEFORE THEY EVEN PUT OUT THE RFP - and we don't even have the CDA established, we don't have the first bond sold, we don't even have anything remotely resembling an ACTUAL "final" rendering of the first phase (much less the rest of the overall 15-year redevelopment) - much less shovels of dirt being flipped over south of the current ballpark.

While I can't say I blame folks over on RBS for kvetching about the $3.5M renovation outlay being imposed by MLB. One of the respondents nailed it - if it's about structural integrity and public safety, then AMEN - get the dangers FIXED - make repairs - but the batting tunnel? Clubhouses? As Tony Soprano would say - "fuggeddabouddit..."  But flip side - I can see where MLB is coming from. Much as we would like to say "we're building a new stadium" - until the overseeing authority has been established, until the bonds have been (or are being) sold, until the dirt has been flipped - MLB can look at the property and CORRECTLY say to us - "NO YOU AREN'T - NOT YET, ANYWAY. SAVE THAT ARGUMENT FOR WHEN THE BALLPARK IS UNDERWAY."

The city has backed itself into a pretty ridiculous corner (rather typically, based on the the track record of the past 50 years) - and MLB ain't playing around.

And frankly, folks, I think it's exactly THIS kind of bungling of amenities that keeps RVA in that weird place of being passed over when it comes to relos - and why cities like the two-headed Hydra in Carolina or Music City or Austin or many other cities that GET THIS STUFF RIGHT - don't have these kinds of screw-ups - and why potential relos don't pass on them.

What's the old adage? The more things change, the more they stay the same... image.png.970e57ec0da429a5a967c8a052b913fc.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

Putting two and two together, this is the "penalty" for the new ballpark not being ready by OD 2025.

Baseball is my favorite thing in the entire world -- and I'm happy to pass it along to my son, who lives and breathes baseball, whether it's travel ball, MLB the Show, or any number of YouTubers he watches -- but man oh man is MLB a cartel. And MLB taking over the minors is, on the whole, not a good thing. 

Edited to add: Parney was quoted the other day in the newspaper. He doesn't have a care in the world; everyone knows the ballpark is coming, so it's all good in the long run. 

Yep. Agree with others this is a frustrating waste of money. One thing if it was required maintenance but they are actually building new structures just to tear them down.  That said they rules were clear and city dragged it's feet, this is what you get.

Hopefully the city can negotiate something - we spend this money but get an extra year (seems like we'll need it) to build. Or not all of the requirements need to be completed.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

HOW is it possible that the city is STILL foot-dragging this issue SO badly? Loads of hoopla about the process. Lots of press. Lots of announcements and photo ops and beautiful renderings and bids for firms competing to win the development. And here we are - two years out to MLB's imposed deadline - WHICH THE CITY HAD KNOWN ABOUT WELL BEFORE THEY EVEN PUT OUT THE RFP - and we don't even have the CDA established, we don't have the first bond sold, we don't even have anything remotely resembling an ACTUAL "final" rendering of the first phase (much less the rest of the overall 15-year redevelopment) - much less shovels of dirt being flipped over south of the current ballpark.

Although I understand the frustration, respectfully, what we're being told from the Squirrels themselves is not a story of lack of diligence. The opposite, actually. We're a long way from the days of bellicose Lou DiBella quotes. Here's Todd Parnell quoted in the Times-Dispatch just two days ago:

Though ground has not yet been broken, Parnell said, “there’s work that goes on with that project on an hourly basis, pretty much, seven days a week. Hopefully we’ll have things we can say publicly soon, but we appreciate the work that the city and developer are doing on it.

This is definitely the time, and this is when it’s happening, and everybody’s working beyond diligently to make it happen as expeditiously as possible.”

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Although I understand the frustration, respectfully, what we're being told from the Squirrels themselves is not a story of lack of diligence. The opposite, actually. We're a long way from the days of bellicose Lou DiBella quotes. Here's Todd Parnell quoted in the Times-Dispatch just two days ago:

Though ground has not yet been broken, Parnell said, “there’s work that goes on with that project on an hourly basis, pretty much, seven days a week. Hopefully we’ll have things we can say publicly soon, but we appreciate the work that the city and developer are doing on it.

This is definitely the time, and this is when it’s happening, and everybody’s working beyond diligently to make it happen as expeditiously as possible.”

Very glad to see that behind-the-scenes work is going pedal-to-the metal on this. My issue is that it wasn't enough to lose one minor league team - that we had to be threatened with the loss of a second club - and EVEN THEN it's only now with our backs against the wall that the powers-that-be are going full-tilt (and frankly it looks like they're in scramble mode - the same way many of us (myself included) did in undergrad (and maybe even grad school, too!) when we've had all semester (or term) to work on a major research paper and waited until two or three days before it was due to even begin researching it, much less writing it.)

How and why this whole process has taken THIS long to even get started - much less reach this point of scrambling to pull it together - is beyond me.

@I miss RVAThe dirty little secret is the R-Braves wanted to leave. People don't like to hear that because we loved the Braves -- personally, I spent so many nights at Parker Field & The Diamond, even got to shake Hank Aaron's hand on Parker Field's last night -- but it's true. By the time the Ballpark-in-the-Bottom fizzled out, the Braves already had a sweetheart deal with the Gwinnett yokels in hand. (Which, by the way, those same folks immediately came to regret. Despite bluster that the ballpark would pay for itself from "day one," five years after the park opened, they had borrowed an additional $30 million to pay for cost overruns and also diverted nearly half-a-million per year in hotel taxes from its tourism fund.)

Set aside the city's ineptitude for a moment. It's my fervent belief that the process of building a ballpark should be hard work and only come together after thorough and perhaps lengthy consensus. This is because, no matter what anyone says, ballparks (especially minor league ones) are not money-makers in and of themselves; rather, they are more or less a symbol of civic pride or a luxury for public entertainment. It's vital, therefore, that as many people as possible are on-board and details are scrutinized so that the deal does not ultimately become a disaster. Have faith in your market and do not act according to Organized Baseball's timetable unless you absolutely need to do so. Patience sometimes pays off, and I think it will here. (Less the pathetic $3.5 million penalty for not having two tunnels, or whatnot, or for not meeting a wholly arbitrary deadline for opening the new ballpark.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It won’t come as a surprise to anyone here that I’d rather lose the  Squirrels than be subject to extortion by MLB.  

This new demand is utterly ridiculous.  These upgrades can’t even be completed this year can they? They will only exist for one season before being demolished.  

Flood Zone got it right.  Baseball doesn’t make any money and the city is already spending too much money on it, IMO. Just say no.  They aren’t going to kick the Squirrels out this season (that ship certainly has sailed by now).   There is no amount of due diligence that can make a minor league baseball filed anything other than a money pit.   I love the idea of my fellow Virginians enjoying an afternoon watching baseball in Richmond but it would be cheaper for the city to just give everyone train tickets to Washington to see the Nationals instead. 

And not to get off topic but the chatter about the Commanders moving to Virginia needs to be shut down like yesterday.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

@I miss RVAThe dirty little secret is the R-Braves wanted to leave. People don't like to hear that because we loved the Braves -- personally, I spent so many nights at Parker Field & The Diamond, even got to shake Hank Aaron's hand on Parker Field's last night -- but it's true. By the time the Ballpark-in-the-Bottom fizzled out, the Braves already had a sweetheart deal with the Gwinnett yokels in hand. (Which, by the way, those same folks immediately came to regret. Despite bluster that the ballpark would pay for itself from "day one," five years after the park opened, they had borrowed an additional $30 million to pay for cost overruns and also diverted nearly half-a-million per year in hotel taxes from its tourism fund.)

Set aside the city's ineptitude for a moment. It's my fervent belief that the process of building a ballpark should be hard work and only come together after thorough and perhaps lengthy consensus. This is because, no matter what anyone says, ballparks (especially minor league ones) are not money-makers in and of themselves; rather, they are more or less a symbol of civic pride or a luxury for public entertainment. It's vital, therefore, that as many people as possible are on-board and details are scrutinized so that the deal does not ultimately become a disaster. Have faith in your market and do not act according to Organized Baseball's timetable unless you absolutely need to do so. Patience sometimes pays off, and I think it will here. (Less the pathetic $3.5 million penalty for not having two tunnels, or whatnot, or for not meeting a wholly arbitrary deadline for opening the new ballpark.)

Screw the Braves. The Squirrels are a much better organization, they understand the family entertainment business, they are connected to the community and we are so much better off with them than the Braves.  I can't stand the Braves and their attitude like the city (us) owed them something.  Good riddance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

This new demand is utterly ridiculous.  These upgrades can’t even be completed this year can they? They will only exist for one season before being demolished.  

And not to get off topic but the chatter about the Commanders moving to Virginia needs to be shut down like yesterday.  

1.) Agreed. If there are public safety concerns, then by all means, address them. Aside from that - it's BS - particularly with a new ballpark (allegedly) on the way.

2.) AMEN to that! I absolutely don't want some damn Dannydome being built, which is what I think all of their plans are calling for. Totally sucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I didn't know that Elton John chalked the infield for the R-Braves.  Who knew?

I thought the VERY SAME THING!! WHO KNEW that the "Madman (from) Across the Water" a.k.a. "Captain Fantastic" a.k.a. "The Rocket Man" himself was chalking batters boxes for the R-Braves! :tw_thumbsup:

His weave was looking robust - way better than in the '70s, I see. :tw_joy:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I thought the VERY SAME THING!! WHO KNEW that the "Madman (from) Across the Water" a.k.a. "Captain Fantastic" a.k.a. "The Rocket Man" himself was chalking batters boxes for the R-Braves! :tw_thumbsup:

His weave was looking robust - way better than in the '70s, I see. :tw_joy:

I had the albums you mention but wore the grooves off of Goodby Yellow Brick Road.

• Like 1