Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

• 3 weeks later...

Reading has had a very neglected ballpark for a while now. At one point they had a proposal for a new one don’t know what happened to that one. MLB having the hand on all minor league teams and cities has been horrible for all of baseball. Not to mention they got rid of over 120 teams and multiple lower levels of the minors. I’ve said the new mlb commissioner rob manfred is the worst commissioner in all of sports I hate the guy worse than bud selig. I’d take Roger goodell over manfred. Can’t wait until manfred is gone or either he will kill baseball all on his own.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Helloo fellow yimby scum and happy Friday - hot new POD filing for us to ponder. And its got that increasingly sought after Ownby lane address! drum roll plz.....

.....our 2nd POD of the year...

...coming  in at 320,422 sqft of development (similar to Otis i believe?) ...

... to be hereafter known at the 'Vatex site'...

...(until formal rebranding)... 

..from Boher Engineering -  IS

1613 Ownby Lane- description 'multi family dwellings' 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/d06f4a80-33db-4f79-9663-4f501963bdfd?tab=contacts

I marked the Duplex Station site as well - this one is supposed to be turning dirt soon right?

1613ownby.JPG

Awesome find!!  Hoping our friends at RBS are on it gathering more details. Should be interesting, but at 3.2 acres probably won’t be taller than maybe 5-6 stories. Still, love that there is still movement in the market for projects of this size, all things considered.  Probably a testament to the resiliency of the Richmond market. Can’t wait to read about some details!  Thanks for posting and for being Johnny on the Spot!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Helloo fellow yimby scum and happy Friday - hot new POD filing for us to ponder. And its got that increasingly sought after Ownby lane address! drum roll plz.....

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/d06f4a80-33db-4f79-9663-4f501963bdfd?tab=contacts

I marked the Duplex Station site as well - this one is supposed to be turning dirt soon right?

1613ownby.JPG

Sorry to burst your bubble but today is not Friday; its Friday Eve.  Great find nonetheless.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

1613ownby.JPG

Now this is REALLLLLLLY exciting!! I can't wait for more details.

I don't mind at all if this is in that 5, 6, 7, 8 story range - 320.5K sf is a pretty robust size. And the building across the street at the old Cobb Lumber site is supposed to be pretty sizeable too, no?

27 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Good news. The White Cap or KD Supplies, whatever it is called on the corner of Hermitage and Overbrook is the one I'm waiting on. Still feels pretty industrial in that area, but that is a prime, central site and once it flips the whole feel of the neighborhood will instantly change. 

Definitely! What with what's already there a tad north and east - once that big one you're talking about at Hermitage and Overbrook rises, and we get the Cobb Lumber site project built - and now this one - holy moly, the whole neighborhood is going to be completely transformed. It'll be like going to a different city.

Not sure how legit this site is, but it indicates construction will start on the VCU athletics village in Feb 2024. It also specifies this bid is just for "Phase 1", and I've read elsewhere the full build out will take 4-7 years. So we're looking at the end of the decade for completion. 

I guess it does say demo will begin in May. Also thought the tennis facility would be phase 1. 

https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/3302491870f3472fb659ec6aebbf346a.html

Following the Diamond District is like watching paint dry. 

Edited by Urbs42
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

Following the Diamond District is like watching paint dry. 

image.jpeg.b7d7bd14a633ca67a93fe01af816a88c.jpeg !!! Perfect analogy.

What worries me is that the longer it takes for this damn paint to dry, given the current/ongoing economic uncertainty impacting construction costs and, particularly, interest rates, the greater the chance the redevelopment gets delayed to the point that it either gets scaled back (and/or spread out over so long a time that few of us will still be alive when it's fully built out) or it never gets off the ground and simply never happens at all. We're already seeing case after case reported in RBS where developers say "we're still planning to go through with this development, but we're adopting a 'wait-and-see' approach, waiting for the market to cooperate/improve/stabilize, interest rates to come back down, construction costs to lower, etc."

I know we're not alone in dealing with the economic uncertainty - and all markets are being impacted. Still - RVA's still too small market size does not readily lend itself to quickly course-correcting regarding large-scale projects the way larger markets seem to be able to do.

All of that said - sitting and watching the paint dry is really troubling and worrying to me.

OK, now it's time to get concerned, at least a little bit. Lou DiBella has returned to bellicose mode in an article just published in the Times-Dispatch. He's bemoaning no progress over the last several months. says he's not confident the park can get done per MLB's deadline, and threatens there might not be baseball in Richmond on Opening Day 2026.

This is all Baseball Owner Posturing 101, but I'll acknowledge I may have had too much faith things were progressing behind the scenes (not that I lacked reason to believe that, given Squirrels management had positive comments in an article published a couple months ago).

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

OK, now it's time to get concerned, at least a little bit. Lou DiBella has returned to bellicose mode in an article just published in the Times-Dispatch. He's bemoaning no progress over the last several months. says he's not confident the park can get done per MLB's deadline, and threatens there might not be baseball in Richmond on Opening Day 2026.

This is all Baseball Owner Posturing 101, but I'll acknowledge I may have had too much faith things were progressing behind the scenes (not that I lacked reason to believe that, given Squirrels management had positive comments in an article published a couple months ago).

image.png.41f9389f07dec490ea1e2554513c5d1a.png image.png.fe5652c9421a3ee84c8622fa72e76681.png

Great... here we go again... 

And folks wonder why those of us who have seen this city repeatedly fumble away things over the last however many decades are VERY skeptical (and critical) when there is ANY city involvement in major redevelopment projects. Another one of our RVA/UP "Rules of Thumb" should be - "the city's sh**ty track record when it comes to involvement in redevelopment projects always comes back to bite us."

I haven't yet read the article (am planning to) - is there any indication as to WHY things have been reduced to a standstill?

Edited by I miss RVA

6 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I haven't yet read the article (am planning to) - is there any indication as to WHY things have been reduced to a standstill?

No. And we don't know for a fact that things have been reduced to a standstill -- only that DiBella has basically described it that way. The article states that requests for comment by the developer, city officials, and minor league baseball were not returned. And the article states -- fairly carefully, it would seem -- that no ballpark design has been released "at least to the public." So, there may be more to the story than a complete dereliction of duty -- again, baseball owners can be incredibly bellicose and childish when it comes to ballpark stuff -- but on the surface there's nothing good here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

No. And we don't know for a fact that things have been reduced to a standstill -- only that DiBella has basically described it that way. The article states that requests for comment by the developer, city officials, and minor league baseball were not returned. And the article states -- fairly carefully, it would seem -- that no ballpark design has been released "at least to the public." So, there may be more to the story than a complete dereliction of duty -- again, baseball owners can be incredibly bellicose and childish when it comes to ballpark stuff -- but on the surface there's nothing good here.

This really is concerning. Yeah - baseball owners can be all over the place in screaming and yelling about ballpark improvements. But given the city's track record of inadvertently schechting the goose that lays the golden eggs (so to speak), this report is, at a minimum, troubling.

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

image.png.41f9389f07dec490ea1e2554513c5d1a.png image.png.fe5652c9421a3ee84c8622fa72e76681.png

Great... here we go again... 

And folks wonder why those of us who have seen this city repeatedly fumble away things over the last however many decades are VERY skeptical (and critical) when there is ANY city involvement in major redevelopment projects. Another one of our RVA/UP "Rules of Thumb" should be - "the city's sh**ty track record when it comes to involvement in redevelopment projects always comes back to bite us."

I swear I've witnessed Richmond a new baseball for yeeeeears before Charlotte, W-S, and Greensboro hatch the idea, develop a plan,  construct, and open.  They've now been open for years and we are still scratching our heads.  We need those leader's ambition. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Richmonopoly said:

I swear I've witnessed Richmond a new baseball for yeeeeears before Charlotte, W-S, and Greensboro hatch the idea, develop a plan,  construct, and open.  They've now been open for years and we are still scratching our heads.  We need those leader's ambition. 

image.jpeg.186b5e60eb48b6c61d7e8439613faf57.jpeg!!  Absolutely spot on.