Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

9 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

What is economic justice as mentioned in the article?  Honestly asking because I don’t know.   Also, at this rate, they’ll never get an RFP out by the end of next year, much less by the end of this year.  SMH

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

We need a rolling eyes emoji selectable as one of the emoji responses. 

34 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Yeah economic justice sounds like some made up word that someone thought sounded good. Lord only Richmond would have a term or anything like that out of any city in America. Can we just end this nightmare and start getting on the ball and compete with the Nashville’s charlottes and raleighs of the world. I just want this train wreck of shenanigans to end. 

THANK YOU!!! 

OMG.. Wouldn't THAT be a novel concept! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shakman said:

"How about them Henrico Fly Squirrels?"

As much as I’d like to hope that henrico would get a shot after Richmond screws this up again I highly doubt any locality in metro Richmond would get a shot at it due to Major League Baseball now controls the minors now too. Also if the flying squirrels leave mlb can make it where Richmond would never be allowed to get any sort of baseball team again. Then you would have zero sports in Richmond and would be another thing the city would screw up like everything else they screw up for everyone. I know people love the arts and all of the museums here but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and is definitely not mine nor is the river or trails here. I know it seems to be engrained that everyone here needs to do that. But to me that’s not fun at all. I would rather go to a sporting event or a huge concert but can’t even see a big concert in Richmond anymore with tje coliseum gone. I would love a livenation amphitheater. The afterhours people doesn’t do it for me. Need a place similar to jiffy lube live in nova. NASCAR isn’t my thing either. I feel like if you’re in to either cars arts or nature then this is the place for you anything else it’s like screw you. I’ve only got at 5 or 6 more years left in Richmond before my wife and I move out to Winchester va where she was raised but was born here but lived here till she was 2 and moved back to Winchester where her mom’s family is from. Good news is I can be an hour away from the metro stations in dc and take the metro In ashburn on the silver line expansion when it’s complete to a baseball football or hockey game in dc. 

• Like 4

Looking at the most recent 'Scott's Walk' flyer from Thalhimer - rendering and retail plan map appears to show logos for Starbucks, Chipotle, and Raising Cane's chicken. Only 2 out restraunt\retail bays have yet to be leased and are being highlighted in the brochure.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/ScottsWalk.pdf

1 minute ago, Downtowner said:

Need a place similar to jiffy lube live in nova

Have you been to Virginia Credit Union Live? I had never been until a couple weeks ago and was surprised as to how big it was, amphitheater similar in size to Jiffy Lube Live or Wolf Trap. Even on a jam packed event was easy to move about, short lines to grab food\beer etc. Great time. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Looking at the most recent 'Scott's Walk' flyer from Thalhimer - rendering and retail plan map appears to show logos for Starbucks, Chipotle, and Raising Cane's chicken. Only 2 out restraunt\retail bays have yet to be leased and are being highlighted in the brochure.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/ScottsWalk.pdf

Have you been to Virginia Credit Union Live? I had never been until a couple weeks ago and was surprised as to how big it was, amphitheater similar in size to Jiffy Lube Live or Wolf Trap. Even on a jam packed event was easy to move about, short lines to grab food\beer etc. Great time. 

Yeah if it’s the one at the raceway complex I went one year for the chili cook off that xl 102 used to do back in 2010 and 2011. They really need to just bulldoze the exhibition space at the raceway complex and plan it out and rebuild it and make the primary focus the amphitheater. Only reason I saw live nation because certain musical acts only deal with them for live concerts which is why I said livenation. I hate having to go to jiffy lube live or va beach amphitheater for the concerts and acts that only deal with livenation. I really feel like they demolish the exhibition halls at the raceway and just start a clean slate of updated exhibition space and an updated larger amphitheater for livenation. Also maybe find some space near by for some new hotels and see if you can’t attract some new big conventions or exhibitions for people of certain hobbies and acts. I think it would really benefit that area a lot. Just a lot of hole in the wall spaces along that stretch of laburnum. Also with Amazon building a new robotics warehouse nearby wouldn’t hurt to have a few new hotels along laburnum for Amazon employees who travel here for business or anyone around that area. Just need to really spruce it up and get rid of the hole in the wall convenience stores and gas stations and even the big vacant strip malls along laburnum can go and add some new exciting stuff. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Oh, dear. Please tell me this isn't set in stone? That looks absolutely horrible. I had such big hopes for the Diamond District with density and walkability. This looks straight out of the new Regency mall parking lot. I really hope the city squashes this design... just screams suburban mini-mall parking lot. What a bad use of space too. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Oh, dear. Please tell me this isn't set in stone? That looks absolutely horrible. I had such big hopes for the Diamond District with density and walkability. This looks straight out of the new Regency mall parking lot. I really hope the city squashes this design... just screams suburban mini-mall parking lot. What a bad use of space too. 

I one-thousand percent agree with you, ancientcarpenter. OMG - this is an unmitigated disaster -and a FAR cry from what the Richmond 300 plan had in mind for N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard.

This is what the Richmond 300 Plan rendering of the possible development for this very section of A.A. Blvd could look like - and is much more what I tend to think all of us want to see. Note the urban Target integrated into one of the buildings (maybe an office building? mixed use? residential?)  And I'm LOVING the 16-story residential building (far left-most structure).

aablvdrendering.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Yeah, the design just looks weird to me. I don't know is it me or does the design look clumsy?  Now this is one the city needs to give  the rubber REJECT stamp...lol...just my opinion. 

• Like 4

City most definitely can't (and shouldn't) withhold permits on a subjective basis like that. Project probably allowed by zoning or is a reasonable variance here - guys, the plan is for 30+ years down the road - these flimsy structures can be demolished in a couple hours. It's Thalhimer - it's an intermittent use.  

Edit - note that this did conform to the prior industrial zoning before the corridor was rezoned to TOD-1 in the summer. Looks like they got the POD in prior. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

City most definitely can't (and shouldn't) withhold permits on a subjective basis like that. Project probably allowed by zoning or is a reasonable variance here - guys, the plan is for 30+ years down the road - these flimsy structures can be demolished in a couple hours. It's Thalhimer - it's an intermittent use.  

Edit - note that this did conform to the prior industrial zoning before the corridor was rezoned to TOD-1 in the summer. Looks like they got the POD in prior. 

Richmond 300 is meant to be completed by 2037. That gives us about 15 years. It sure would be a shame to have the most obvious, busy, and open part of the "Diamond District" look like a strip mail parking lot. It would be a huge hit to the "possible future plan" picture we saw above by @I miss RVA... talk about taking a baseball bat to the knee caps....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, whw53 said:

1.) Provided I actually live 30 more years (please God!!) - I'll be 89 years old in 2051. I'd kinda like the good stuff to get built while I'm still young enough to actually enjoy seeing it!

2.) Seems like a lot of that has been going on - yet another reason the city putzing around with upzoning and constant delay, delay, delay was so annoying. It lets stuff like this slip through the cracks before the upzone can take effect. ARGH!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Some changes to Scotts Walk on the most recent site plan.  Looks like a nightmare to navigate during lunch/dinner rush.

image.thumb.png.da6e51d751d04a64c78fadb7aa3e64da.png

At least there are a couple buildings that will front AA Blvd.  Just wish it had more density/height.  Otherwise, it's just a lot of wasted space.

• Like 1

Ugh - this is the LAST thing the "Diamond District" - or Greater Scott's needs. And to think - that really nice Novel apartment building is going to rise just a couple of doors down from this dumpster fire. Oh my... this thing is absolutely awful in every way imaginable.

Edited by I miss RVA

10 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

Are there any plans to relocate or upgrade the bus station on AA?

Seems like an impediment for development. 

Property like that often seems "encouraged" to move due to the property value going up so much combined with their facilities aging anyway. They can sell, relocate, build new, and come out ahead on the sale value + maintenance savings on the old building.  This property also isn't owned by Greyhound, looks like it's owned by a equipment leasing company. Hopefully the lease on the greyhound station is up in not too long and the property owner doesn't give them a choice.  I think the bus station might be a better fit for over by the Maury St exit on southside, or somewhere off Chamberlayne/Brook just north of 95 like where Straton Metals is. 2 birds with one stone replacing that junk yard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Property like that often seems "encouraged" to move due to the property value going up so much combined with their facilities aging anyway. They can sell, relocate, build new, and come out ahead on the sale value + maintenance savings on the old building.  This property also isn't owned by Greyhound, looks like it's owned by a equipment leasing company. Hopefully the lease on the greyhound station is up in not too long and the property owner doesn't give them a choice.  I think the bus station might be a better fit for over by the Maury St exit on southside, or somewhere off Chamberlayne/Brook just north of 95 like where Straton Metals is. 2 birds with one stone replacing that junk yard.

Would it be possible to fold the Greyhound station into a GRTC bus transfer center?  Seems like that would be ideal and would create seamless transfers between local and long distance transit.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Personally, I've always wanted to bus station to move to the ground-level of Main Street Station to help turn MSS into a true multi-modal transportation center. There have long been various plans afoot to blend Amtrak, Greyhound and GRTC service at MSS and turn it into Central Virginia's transportation hub. It's an idea still worth investigating, even through there would need to be a TON of reconstruction work done to the underneath portion of the train shed to make it viable as a bus station. It would be really great though to have ticket counters for both Amtrak and Greyhound in the station's historic head house or located somewhere nearby in the train shed.  Turning MSS into the hub with a GRTC transfer center (and particularly as a hub for express routes from the suburbs and the airport), regular Amtrak and full Greyhound service has long been part of RVA master plans.

I'm guessing all the changes to MSS over the last 20 or so years now preclude that from happening, which is sad in a way. Plus the booming development of the Bottom may also make putting Greyhound nearby a no-no. Idk ... I've always thought the idea made a lot of sense. I think Amtrak's unwillingness for decades to come back to downtown torpedoed any/all of those multi-modal plans - which brings another issue to the fore - why didn't the city push harder and try to really move and shake things to get Amtrak and Greyhound downtown? It's great to put the idea in a planning document - it's another thing to step to the plate and try to make it happen. I'd FAR rather see the city push for something like this than to play the part of hard-hat land developer.

30 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Would it be possible to fold the Greyhound station into a GRTC bus transfer center?  Seems like that would be ideal and would create seamless transfers between local and long distance transit.

I'd love to see the Greyhound station and "a" GRTC transfer center relocate to Main Street Station to link up with Amtrak - and get all three under one roof. Of course, the city is insisting on putting GRTC's primary downtown transfer hub in the Navy Hill (location -not the defunct project) - City Center district of downtown, which makes a lot of sense. Still - I wouldn't mind at least seeing some kind of GRTC mini hub at MSS along the Greyhound and Amtrak.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Personally, I've always wanted to bus station to move to the ground-level of Main Street Station to help turn MSS into a true multi-modal transportation center. There have long been various plans afoot to blend Amtrak, Greyhound and GRTC service at MSS and turn it into Central Virginia's transportation hub. It's an idea still worth investigating, even through there would need to be a TON of reconstruction work done to the underneath portion of the train shed to make it viable as a bus station. It would be really great though to have ticket counters for both Amtrak and Greyhound in the station's historic head house or located somewhere nearby in the train shed.  Turning MSS into the hub with a GRTC transfer center (and particularly as a hub for express routes from the suburbs and the airport), regular Amtrak and full Greyhound service has long been part of RVA master plans.

I'm guessing all the changes to MSS over the last 20 or so years now preclude that from happening, which is sad in a way. Plus the booming development of the Bottom may also make putting Greyhound nearby a no-no. Idk ... I've always thought the idea made a lot of sense. I think Amtrak's unwillingness for decades to come back to downtown torpedoed any/all of those multi-modal plans - which brings another issue to the fore - why didn't the city push harder and try to really move and shake things to get Amtrak and Greyhound downtown? It's great to put the idea in a planning document - it's another thing to step to the plate and try to make it happen. I'd FAR rather see the city push for something like this than to play the part of hard-hat land developer.

I'd love to see the Greyhound station and "a" GRTC transfer center relocate to Main Street Station to link up with Amtrak - and get all three under one roof. Of course, the city is insisting on putting GRTC's primary downtown transfer hub in the Navy Hill (location -not the defunct project) - City Center district of downtown, which makes a lot of sense. Still - I wouldn't mind at least seeing some kind of GRTC mini hub at MSS along the Greyhound and Amtrak.

I've been saying for years as well that Main St Station should be a transport hub. No brainer to put the GRTC transfer station there, it already has a Pulse stop. It's well situated for a north south/pulse line stop as well, and should have an express shuttle to the airport.

That said Greyhound is a private company that largely competes with Amtrak, so I think integrating them would be a non-starter.  

• Like 2