Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

42 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Yeah, one thing to keep in mind (take solace from) is that the massive parking lot is just plain outmoded. I don’t know how robust the deck(s) will be, but wide swaths of real estate taken up by a sprawling surface lotis not going to happen.

Never underestimate RVA's incredible capability to embrace the outmoded. :tw_wink:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Agreed. This is a major step forward and I already see people betting on it failing or not being perfect exactly the way they want it to be. I'm surprised we haven't already heard complaints about how the future planned buildings aren't 100 stories tall :rolleyes:

Somehow RVA can't do anything right but also somehow RVA is a hot spot where everyone wants to live and houses are going +$100k over asking price and developers are foaming at the mouth to develop. Reminds me of the conspiracy theories that the government can't do anything right b/c they see potholes and their USPS mail isn't 110% on time but the government is also capable of mind control, placing tracking chips in vaccines, and population control. Jeez, give it a break.

the issue is what the city government is ineffective at doing. They are the ultimate fumblers at big economic development initiatives. No one here thinks Richmond is a bad place to live. It’s an amazing city. You can’t possible think the  city is a well run government entity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

death, taxes, i miss rva pining for ludicrously tall

You KNOW it!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:

My favorite version of that truism is known to old timers who are diehard hockey fans and who remember the old-time hockey days of the Broad Street Bullies (in Philadelphia) - and the Baby Broad Street Bullies in RVA (the Richmond Robins -- Philadelphia's AHL affiliate) ... 

"...  and in the City of Brotherly Love, it's death, taxes, and a brawl at the Flyers' game..."

You could take that to the bank!

SIDEBAR:  I got Dave Schultz' autograph in 1971 when I was nine years old - while he was a member of the Robins. The team was doing some kind of publicity event at a local car dealership, which was one of the team sponsors - and since Schultzie was BY FAR - THE most popular player on the team for his rather pugilistic approach to the game, it was guaranteed he'd be there. Thing is - in person, he was THE NICEST, SWEETEST guy you'd ever want to meet. VERY affable. And he LOVED kids! And kids (myself included then) loved him.  He always smiled, had something nice to say, made sure EVERY child got his autograph, took time to talk with the parents - was very gracious and humble and thankful for all the popularity. He was the first pro athlete I ever met (I met many later on in life, well starting a couple of years later with Ken Houston when he was Washington's strong safety) ... and to this day, Schultzie was the most genuine guy I think I ever had the privilege of meeting.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

I was born just a little too late to enjoy the Robins or Squires, so I love hearing stories like that.

Same must of been a fun time. Especially since Richmond and Philly both have a broad street running through their downtown. But I know in Philly broad street runs north and south. I loved going to Philly haven’t been in quite a while but I do love going to visit and look around. The reading terminal market is one of my favorites. Would love rva to have something like that. That would be a huge draw.  Something called A taste of Richmond. It could have all sorts of different types of foods and market items from all different cultures and backgrounds from all over on display to try and buy. Even outer Richmond area as far as Cumberland county  where the Amish are. We have so many different styles of food here it would be a huge success I would think and a huge draw.

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 2

New poster here, but I am really looking forward to the arthur ashe ramp project from 95 getting underway this year. Wonder if the extra capacity will entice any bidders.

Richmond - I-95 South Bryan Park Lane Restriping and Ramp Improvements at Arthur Ashe Boulevard - Projects | Virginia Department of Transportation

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ihavealltheanswers said:

New poster here, but I am really looking forward to the arthur ashe ramp project from 95 getting underway this year. Wonder if the extra capacity will entice any bidders.

Richmond - I-95 South Bryan Park Lane Restriping and Ramp Improvements at Arthur Ashe Boulevard - Projects | Virginia Department of Transportation

Welcome to the UP land of the RVA crazies!! Really glad to have you aboard!  :tw_thumbsup::tw_smile:

That's a good question. I'm sure the idea of extra capacity will be something the city could throw into the mix when trying to get developers to come in to get this redevelopment plan rolling.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, I miss RVA said:

Much as I want the ballpark issue settled so the Squirrels will stay in RVA, I honestly MUCH prefer THIS on A. A. Boulevard instead of locating the ballpark there - UNLESS somehow the two scenarios can be fully integrated. My fear is locating the ballpark right on A.A. Boulevard -- as is the current situation -- will result in little to no improvement to the area holistically vs what's there now. Whereas the below scenario would completely and utterly transform Greater Scotts and that entire section of the near northwest side of Richmond. Having population density, business density, retail, entertainment, variety, the possibility of hospitality, etc., in a dense urban core neighborhood is -- at least to my simple mind -- a much better and higher use for this land. Mind you - I'm IN FAVOR of ballpark development -- but I don't think this particular vision should be sacrificed to make that happen.

I know folks would freak about this - but quite frankly, I'd just as soon the ballpark follow the arena on out to Green City and we turn N. Arthur Ashe Blvd into this kind of dense urban satellite core. 

Maybe this highly urban scenario can still come to pass with the ballpark in the mix. I have my doubts, though -- and this urban core is much more important to Greater Scotts and to RVA. I don't fully understand how/why the ballpark can't be relocated.

It almost feels like VCU did a bait-and-switch on the city, which sucks.

aablvdrendering.jpg

Wow that rendering looks like a street view of Downtown Washington, D.C. :tw_love:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

There is a site up with renderings of the condos across from Hardywood.

It looks pretty great.  Also prices starting over $500k. If the market really takes to that, I think that will really propel demand for development in the area.

Now is this the building? They're advertising "two-story condos" -- are they stacking two-story condos one atop the other in a four-story building? Wow - if so, this is a GORGEOUS building!

1125.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA

Yes they are stacked '2 over 2'. Drove by last week- foundations were set along Overbrook. The five story apt building on other side of Hardywood is just about topped out as well.

The only piece of this Brewer's Row project not clarified is the tract just south of Hardywood along Ownby - I think its set for a similar stacked product but not sure.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

There's been some movement on the RFP front for the "Diamond District" involving the city and potential developers. GREAT article in today's Richmond BizSense.

Okay - Sharon Ebert, the city’s deputy chief administrative officer for economic and community development, IS MY NEW MARVEL UNIVERSE RVA SUPER HERO!!! OMG!!  She is PUSHING for HEIGHT AND HIGH-DENSITY!!!!

This from the RBS article:

Sharon Ebert, the city’s deputy chief administrative officer for economic and community development, said an ideal proposal would fit within the site’s existing zoning district, called TOD-1 Transit-Oriented Nodal District, which allows for building heights of up to 12 stories. She stressed that proposals could go above and beyond that – both the conceptualized vision, and the height limit.

We would be willing to entertain special-use permits to exceed those height limits, based on what you’re proposing,” Ebert said in the meeting.

“We really are hoping that we will get proposals that are in the spirit of making this an urban mixed-use development. I say ‘urban’ because we’re not looking for something of low-density,” she said. “We rezoned this as Transit-Oriented (Nodal) District, and that’s what we’re hoping that we get.”

Okay, boys -- she's speaking for US here -- and she's speaking OUR language!! I'm SO glad to see the city getting onboard the height-and-density train!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/01/13/prospective-developers-query-city-on-diamond-district-proposal-request/

12 stories is a lot for that area and for her / the city to say they want to go higher is truly wonderful. 

Could we see an 80 story tower? You technically can't say we won't now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Not to get too off topic but I’ve often wondered if that TV tower is the tallest freestanding (no guide wires) structure in VA.  I assume it is.  Can’t recall anything in Tidewater or NoVa that is taller. 

Not sure - it might be.

Interesting note: there is a notable discrepancy in how tall the tower is reported to be. I was kind of thinking that 843 feet seemed a little on the low side. Perhaps it's actually about 200 feet taller? (Which given how prominent the tower is actually makes sense) ... our good friends at Emporis (basically the Elias Sports Bureau of architectural data) reports that the tower is actually nearly 1,045 feet tall.

Check it out:

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/130636/wtvr-tv-studio-transmitter-richmond-va-usa

Screenshot (556).png

• Like 2