Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

• 1 month later...

Update from BizSense on the Spy Rock projects at Overbrook & Ownby, Looks like the piece directly across from Hardywood at the SE corner of Overbrook and Ownby will be for sale stacked units, similar to the piece south of HW, instead of an apartment building. For the large 1601 piece they picked up on the demo plans as well - expiration date for the original demolition permit is June so should see some action there soon.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/02/09/more-pieces-for-hardywood-village-redevelopment-fall-into-place/

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 7:51 AM, whw53 said:

Good first step from the city. Very preliminary but at least it signals progress. Aside from prepping for the RFP it also starts the dialogue with surrounding property owners.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/02/12/greater-scotts-addition-rezoning-would-pave-way-for-arthur-ashe-boulevard-rfp/

I'm glad city is moving forward with this instead of thinking they needed to go back and tackle Carver/broad rezoning first. Hopefully both can move forward in first half of this year.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Agree, always nice to see progress, but feels like dirt won't turn on the city-owned parcel until  Q3/Q4 of 2022. 

First pitch at a new squirrels/VCU stadium won't happen before 2024.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This week's private sector driven TOD-1 rezoning takes the Cobb Lumber site from M-1 heavy industrial to our favorite transit oriented designation. It also includes the neighboring property controlled by the city for their ambulatory services. Curious as to why public parcel is included...maybe city saw opportunity to attach this adjacent parcel to private initiative or maybe private actor doing city a favor OR needs that parcel to be TOD-1 as well due to limitations that sometimes occur when differing zoning classes abut each other? Anyhow, I imagine any associated plans stemming from this are for the Cobb Lumber site - not the city parcel. 

Hermitagerezoning1.jpg

Hermitagerezoning2.jpg

2300HermZoning.jpg

2400HermZoning.jpg

HermRoadAerial.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Hardywood's second building has been vacated and demolished  over last couple days to make way for a portion of the Spy Rock's 3 tract project. (Hardywood has consolidated their Ownby operations back to their original building and renovated the outside space). 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, whw53 said:

Hardywood's second building has been vacated and demolished  over last couple days to make way for a portion of the Spy Rock's 3 tract project. (Hardywood has consolidated their Ownby operations back to their original building and renovated the outside space). 

Original building?  I had thought they moved everything to the second building, of which I always thought was disappointing.  If they did in fact go back then that is so much better.

13 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Original building?  I had thought they moved everything to the second building, of which I always thought was disappointing.  If they did in fact go back then that is so much better.

I admit - I got into the craft beer game late - maybe i mis-understood which one was original and which one was the expansion. The building at 2410 Ownby right at Overbrook & Ownby is the one they renovated and landscaped recently - the one at 2408 is no longer. Under Spy Rock's plan I think the 2408 site will be townhomes or stacked condos. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, whw53 said:

I admit - I got into the craft beer game late - maybe i mis-understood which one was original and which one was the expansion. The building at 2410 Ownby right at Overbrook & Ownby is the one they renovated and landscaped recently - the one at 2408 is no longer.

Bummer, that is the newer acquisition.

• Sad 1

More demolition activity headed this way - commerical demo plan files this week for the building  across  from Hardywood at 2413 Ownby . This lot I believe is also set to get townhomes and\or stacked condos under the larger Spy Rock development plan. Would love to see a full rendering of this entire 3 tract project because there's been some revisions since it was announced so it's not clear in my head what's going where. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/d7f1f81f-9ef7-4946-abcb-3b1d4651e330

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Planning staff introduced proposed zoning for Diamond area at city council yesterday - here are the existing and proposed maps provided. Hm looks to be more TOD-1 than I thought - i was was betting on seeing B-4 along the BLVD and the area to be in the RFP. Why limit to TOD-1 here - maybe to hold the developers to the form based controls of TOD-1 ? - they could easily set up a POD overlay to accomplish the same thing...a little disappointed but glad to see this action finally moving forward.

Funny - the Cobb lumber site is to be B-7 under this area wide zoning plan. We know they have a private sector initiated request in to take that to TOD-1 which exceeds vision of planning staff. C'mon lets get this area wide zoning right or we will have to continue down the track of parcel by parcel private sector rezonings for the next decade because planning staff shot to low. Quick fix - everything B-7 take to TOD-1, and everything TOD-1 put to B-4. 

GSA_existing.jpg

GSA_proposed.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

BTW - I love the concept of going from "Transit Oriented" to "Transit Integrated" ... that's EXACTLY where RVA needs to set her sights for a future target for planning and development.

How do we get there? I can tell you how NOT to get there - we don't get there by taking our feet off the planning and development throttle. Baby steps are NOT what RVA needs right now. PEDAL TO THE METAL.

• Like 2