East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

Also, a question for those with the knowledge. How does all these new changes in infrastructure, moving of the stadium, changing the course of the spine road ..etc effect the projects that have already started or are about to start? What if say the plans for the project on the truck stop property are all finalized and they get told that a new road needs to go through that said parcel or the setbacks that once thought, are now different then they had when going though design. Do they then have to start all over again, to redesign after years of planning and cost?

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

A question for those with the knowledge; Does TDOT really need more land for enhanced interchange upgrades if they use diverging diamond interchanges? Those type of interchanges seem as if they could work anywhere. Also, TDOT has more right of way they can use to expand, not much but a little more, just like they do on the south loop of 40.

DDIs were designed to fit within the existing ROW for diamond interchanges (they were actually developed as a retrofit option that keeps the ramps and over/underpass) but they also only work well with a specific traffic pattern. In the context of I-24 on the East Bank the interchanges would also have to be fully split out without C-D roads as there's no provision for a through movement on the ramps in a DDI. Maybe one at Spring/Jefferson and one at Shelby but both of these already have plenty of ROW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

While I love the connections being made and remade with this plan, as well as dedicated bus lanes, I am still disappointed to not see bike paths/lanes. It is a huge missed opportunity especially since this is essentially a brand new road. Hopefully they will be implemented in future renderings. And maybe those bus lanes could be turned into LRT in the future.

Having spent a good amount of time looking over the Amendment Package, the bike routes will have a temporary striping it seems, before ultimately being replaced on parallel streets. While I would prefer to have a protected bike lane on the spine road, I do know NDOT has a dedicated bike liaison working on the project who is an actual cyclist. So remaining hopeful for the ultimate bike infrastructure design.

image.thumb.png.2af696b3346b2e2fa5f0567b28cf8010.png

With regards to LRT, the bus lanes are not wide enough on their own, but that may be why the median is 11 freaking feet wide haha. That would provide a 33' wide ROW for any LRT in the future, which I believe would be wide enough.

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Quck math says nearly 21,000 new aparments!! Wow! 

According to the document they are looking at an estimated 20,000 units of housing with a 20% provision for affordable. Now I have no idea how Metro would be able to enforce this (thanks to the State), but they are at least working towards a reasonable goal. 

image.thumb.png.d3d1e4cf58249c2af770818b261b268f.png

So is there any expectation that TDOT will be "on the ball" and upgrade/widen I-24 while this whole plan is being built?  If TDOT needs to buy more land for that effort, they may find themselves up a creek.  I like the frontage road along I-24, but how will the connector from South 6th to Hermitage work without a major exit? So is this plan simply independent of whatever TDOT plans for exits and upgrades?

I think alot of the infrastructure work around the highway will actually help with the congestion we are currently experiencing and may make a highway expansion less necessary. The frontage roads, and additional connections on surface streets would be more encouraging for inner city commuters to utilize for quick trips then jumping on to the interstate for a quarter to half mile. Less merging traffic = less traffic congestion. We have TWO interstates, each with three lanes in each direction. That is more than some big boy cities around the country with worse traffic. I for one am not wanting to see my state tax money go to inner city highway expansion. Not unless they are going to do something drastic, like cap the interstate and get it out of my day-to-day mind.

I find the location of that new bridge interesting and wonder if it might have anything to do with future plans for a ballpark in that area.  

The new bridge proposal is an interesting one as well, but I do not think it would create an incredible attractive parcel for a ballpark. An important thing to note about the new bridge is it is elevated ABOVE Davidson Street (as it would start at Crutcher) and would not touch back down on to ground until it is west (picture bottom) of the railroad tracks (this is also the WeGo Star tracks). The smaller parcel would have a built up abutment, but the larger parcel would be a have a structured viaduct.

67199409024__9C95252A-A028-41E8-BEEB-81FB73F39FCA.thumb.jpeg.b23ae71e9503f37df2aa4acb917a75b9.jpeg

This map tells me the most about their plans, but I don't see what the thick broken line where Cowan Street meets Vashti means. I realize the broken thin lines are bike/pedestrain paths, but what is that line from the RMR (center of the map) to Ellington Parkway?  To my point about I-24 (above) that whole interchange needs to be redone, like yesterday. 

East Bank Study, April 18, 2022, diagram 4.png

I believe the dashed line is a wish list item to potentially connect directly to Ellington. Something I do not believe is realistic. I personally believe there should be no direct connection between Ellington and I-24. 

The spine road technically will turn east at the Cleveland St connector and go under the interstate over to Dickerson Pike. The dedicated bus lanes will also turn here and go under the interstate. Cowan will be improved up to Vashti, but the improvement will taper down and most likely stop before the interstate underpass to the north.

52 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Also, a question for those with the knowledge. How does all these new changes in infrastructure, moving of the stadium, changing the course of the spine road ..etc effect the projects that have already started or are about to start? What if say the plans for the project on the truck stop property are all finalized and they get told that a new road needs to go through that said parcel or the setbacks that once thought, are now different then they had when going though design. Do they then have to start all over again, to redesign after years of planning and cost?

This is part of the ROW dedication process. I honestly do not think we should expect to see any new construction to start on the East Bank until we see the spine road finalized. The RMR project may have their SP approved, but the overall design of the project we going to be in flux until they submitted for permits. Now with the new spine road, the elevation of that road and the minimum finished floor elevations of projects (built in flood mitigation) that will be incorporated into the East Bank districts, those projects will almost certainly see a re-design to their projects. RMR for example will now have a primary frontage along the spine road and 1st Ave N will be a secondary (but still primary) frontage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The spine road technically will turn east at the Cleveland St connector and go under the interstate over to Dickerson Pike. The dedicated bus lanes will also turn here and go under the interstate. Cowan will be improved up to Vashti, but the improvement will taper down and most likely stop before the interstate underpass to the north.

When Cowan turns into Vashti and leads up to Baptist World Center Drive, it is nearly impossible to turn left during some times of the day.... I believe they will need to design a better intersection there to make it easier for folks turning both left and right since there isn't a turn lane. 

45 minutes ago, Logan McCoy said:

When Cowan turns into Vashti and leads up to Baptist World Center Drive, it is nearly impossible to turn left during some times of the day.... I believe they will need to design a better intersection there to make it easier for folks turning both left and right since there isn't a turn lane. 

Do they need a redesign or maybe just make it an "All Way" Stop Sign?

I think there would need to be considerable improvements to Vashti & Baptist World Center Dr.  There are certain projects in that area that may be moving forward as well that may need monitoring, so we have to stay tuned. 

If one of those projects pans out, then there will have to be major road enhancements done and maybe a new interchange at Fern.

19 hours ago, markhollin said:

The East Bank infrastructure plan could cost at least $175 million. 

Obviously this is above the $50 million (?) that has been discussed previously. But it is important to note that that figure includes the cost of a new bridge across the Cumberland. The bridge is still considered a "potential" for the project and would obviously come down to money. It is important to note that Oracle's up front investment for infrastructure will assist in building some of the boulevard. The State of TN has planned for $40 million for the Cleveland Street tunnel as well. This will help tremendously with the cost of the boulevard from Cleveland to I-24. 

Has the bridge is still a "potential" the finances of the $100,000,000 price tag is still very fluid.

image.thumb.png.aa47c64d196f0cf543b7642c7f3d5dfd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Obviously this is above the $50 million (?) that has been discussed previously. But it is important to note that that figure includes the cost of a new bridge across the Cumberland. The bridge is still considered a "potential" for the project and would obviously come down to money. It is important to note that Oracle's up front investment for infrastructure will assist in building some of the boulevard. The State of TN has planned for $40 million for the Cleveland Street tunnel as well. This will help tremendously with the cost of the boulevard from Cleveland to I-24. 

Has the bridge is still a "potential" the finances of the $100,000,000 price tag is still very fluid.

image.thumb.png.aa47c64d196f0cf543b7642c7f3d5dfd.png

It's important to note that the $50 million figure that was approved in December (half from TDOT, half from Metro) was for ROW acquisition. Construction cost is a separate number from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nashwatcher said:

Why would he be opposed? Seems like it would bring development and growth to that area…

I can’t speak for him, but it’s probably due to concerns around gentrification. I’ve been back in that neighborhood behind the projects, and it’s an absolute mess in places back there. 

16 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

I can’t speak for him, but it’s probably due to concerns around gentrification. I’ve been back in that neighborhood behind the projects, and it’s an absolute mess in places back there. 

Sorry, there is not much to gentrify back there except warehouses. The Sudekum Napier project when it happens will cause its own gentrification brought on by Metro itself.  Hermitage Ave is already seeing growth going out of the downtown area and that trend will continue. Freddie is hot and cold depending on which side of the bed he rolled out of that day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Sorry, there is not much to gentrify back there except warehouses. The Sudekum Napier project when it happens will cause its own gentrification brought on by Metro itself.  Hermitage Ave is already seeing growth going out of the downtown area and that trend will continue. Freddie is hot and cold depending on which side of the bed he rolled out of that day.

I think the concern is regarding the neighborhood along Claiborne / Fain / Maury etc. There are some streets with mostly livable structures but Claiborne Street is an absolute mess. Granted, it’s been a few years since I’ve been back in that area, so it may have changed since then. 

2 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Freddie O’Connell, who represents Napier, is very much opposed to the new bridge. 

Honestly, I am not really in favor of a bridge, but it is rooted in how divisive bridge/viaducts can be. Personally any NEW connections across the river (with the exception of downtown because the slopes are so different) I would prefer a tunnel going under the river. There is obviously a whole slew of other issues with a tunnel, but it would be an ideal way to avoid the divisive nature of a bridge. 

The gentrification conversation will always be an ongoing conversation. Whether you are in favor or not in favor of zoning laws, growth of the city will quickly (in relative terms) get to these areas. The Napier-Sudekom area is slated for the Envision program which isn't really gentrification in the true sense because it is replacing those affordable units (and then some I hope when it comes back around), and existing residents are/should be given priority to come back into those units. Artificially saying no to a valuable, non-highway connection is just vote pandering IMHO. Similar to how CM Sledge has been so quiet about the racetrack when he was the exact opposite for the soccer stadium. While the land in this area isn't the most sought after right now, as we continue to build up it will be more and more sought after and if we get to a point where development goes gang busters over here and you essentially have one main road in and out, it is going to be tough. 

The spine road will be the main thoroughfare through the East Bank, but it will have multiple connectors connecting such a a road to the other neighborhoods. The Railyard District/Driftwood does not have that so this new connection would have a dual benefit (again IMHO). I just don't like a bridge haha. If it MUST be a bridge (because a tunnel is truly unrealistic) I would prefer it be further to the east. (dots in image below represent what would be the actual elevated structure)

RED = current alignment

BLUE = Davidson/S 12th alignment. Would be a straight bridge, but would require a rebuild of the rail bridge for WeGo Star.

GREEN = Davidson/Shelby Bottom alignment. This would be very difficult to "get up" to the proper elevation to cross the river, but would allow for a direct connection to Fesslers and bookend the Railyard District/Driftwood district. This could also be an option for a pedestrian bridge at a later date as both sides of the river develop.

image.thumb.png.39d0e881b4a3028d0053a9614fa3f59f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I also smell a new interstate interchange at that location as well to take pressure from Shelby St. This is just speculation on my part. There is no way to enter the Interstate from that area as Fessler's is an exit only, so there could be at least an entrance ramp built in the area.

Think they’ll redo the Fesslers interchange? We definitely need to improve traffic flow as our city grows

3 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

Think they’ll redo the Fesslers interchange? We definitely need to improve traffic flow as our city grows

It's sort of hard to say at this point. I think the Fessler's would work as an off ramp, but they really need an on ramp in the area. They really need to rework the entire inner interstate system inside the 440 loop, IMO or at least the 24/40 leg from the east and the south loop around downtown. It is a disaster.

BTW, the request for funding for the federal grant passed council last night.

• Like 4