East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

On 8/28/2022 at 2:44 PM, Nashvillain said:

Be nice if the NFL and the Titans would build the stadium. They have plenty of money. This whole hostage situation with pro sports and municipal governments is way out of hand. 

And apparently, past city leaders were really terrible negotiating partners

After the long discussion we had on Saturday morning about this subject, my feeling about Metros chances of this plan happening is a lot less than I thought they would be just because of funding and the fact that CSX probably will not cooperate with Metro.

Also, the cost of changing the track routes and buying the lines off of CSX will likely be astronomical and is probably a pipedream. CSX has very little incentive to make this work. Metro has yet to even start the negations to buy the PSC site which will be on the verge of out of site as far as price goes too.

I think the price of the spine road Metro has in mind and the price that it will end up being, are miles apart.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2022 at 9:00 AM, smeagolsfree said:

After the long discussion we had on Saturday morning about this subject, my feeling about Metros chances of this plan happening is a lot less than I thought they would be just because of funding and the fact that CSX probably will not cooperate with Metro.

Also, the cost of changing the track routes and buying the lines off of CSX will likely be astronomical and is probably a pipedream. CSX has very little incentive to make this work. Metro has yet to even start the negations to buy the PSC site which will be on the verge of out of site as far as price goes too.

I think the price of the spine road Metro has in mind and the price that it will end up being, are miles apart.

Are you speaking about the entire East Bank plan?  If Metro isn't able to acquire the land that is south of the KVB, couldn't the overall plan be modified to address the lands north of the KVB to Jefferson Street?  Also, could metro offer incentives for those industrial businesses south of KVB to relocate which will basically render the CSX lines useless.  Are those lines being heavily used?  Am I missing where the CSX run?  I've not lived in Nashville for 22 years.  I only remember rail lines going along the Cumberland leading around to and ending before Shelby Park.  And, I seem to recall some minor spurs off of those lines that went into the scarp yard.  Are there others that I'm missing?

The way I see it is the East Bank Boulevard does not need the PSC Metal site under Metro ownership to proceed. The boulevard can be added to the Major Collector Street Plan and when that property gets sold (or parceled up), the Boulevard will have to be incorporated into how that property is divided. The Boulevard would then be able to be constructed from KVB to points north (all the way to up Cleveland Street). The CSX tracks are definitely a barrier, but from my conversations with planning there is at least alternatives to how we can keep the thing moving forwards, it'll just take engineering (and honestly prolly less money than moving CSX). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am sort of talking about the plan as a whole. The spine street is part of it. Raising the entire EB by 8 feet as discussed Saturday is another part, which I didn't really realize was part of the plan. Buying the PSC metals site is another part. Remediation of the PSC site is another part. CSX is another obstacle to the completion of the spine street. Freddies opposition to the bridge at the current site will be another problem. If Cooper is not re-elected, then there will need to be a mayor that has a favorable opinion of the project for it to move forward, as much as I dislike the current administration, the plan may be a good one even with the shortcomings. If there is a new mayor and they do not like the plan, then this one may likely be dead.

There are all kinds of moving parts here. District 19 will take control of the majority of the East Bank from D 5 & 6. There will be a new council person for that district starting next year after the election. This could complicate things further if the plan is not approved by then and gets bogged down in council. If this is a phased in series of buy ins for Metro, it could mean this thing gets done piecemeal and partially finished. How many times have we seen Metro do things halfa$$. I will give you a couple of small examples.... the streetlight's on the Division Street connector. cheap and falling down every time a drunk hits them. the lights on the roundabout, cheap and they get destroyed every time a drunk walks by and destroys them with their fist. General landscaping everywhere downtown or in Metro Parks. Meto does not maintain what they have without the support of private funding or help of the community. In short Metro does things on the cheap and this will be no different. They will try to save money and use the cheapest materials and then will not pay to maintain what they have. History proves us right on this.

Metro's money management is not very good. Metro spends beyond their means and never spends to maintain what they have. Look at the MNPS. I am not trying to make this a pick on Metro session, but they just do not know how to do it right, and I wish they did.

The only reason the Gulch looks halfway decent is because of the extra tax they have for the downtown employees to clean up there.

As with most Metro projects, this is going to cost a lot more than anticipated. Prices are trending upward and the longer this takes, the more it will cost.

Sorry I am trying to be objective on this one as there are a lot of issues we need to look at. Everyone is really excited, but don't get your hopes up. We have been let down before. I think sticker shock is really going to set in once this thing gets picked apart by Council and the devil in the details has yet to pop out.

• Like 1

I love all the Proposals and a new love for developing the east bank up and down the river. My concern  is how will the city prevent the river from flooding  from this project to  Oracle's development and all in-between.  Is there something in the works?  Because alI it needs to do is rain hard more than 5 days in Nashville it seems and we have problems. I just don't want to see flood problems in the past repeated. I know it's off topic but it concerns me alot.

moreAerialNashvilleSkylineAndRiverInFlood.jpg

SmartSelect_20220924_164334_Chrome.jpg

Edited by chris holman
  • Like 3

I remember having a concersationwith a civil engineer about 10 years ago… the flood if 2010 was still fresh. He worked for one the biggest CE firms in Nashville… he said the theee used to be an arroyo that took the river floods away … but Ellington pkwy is there now. That was taken away when the freeway was Built. He said there just needs to be an overflow route to serve the same purpose and that can be done under higher ground… I don’t know where that would be but I’d guess around Dickerson or the east side of Cowan street. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, markhollin said:

The Drift Hotel (complete renovation of Stadium Inn at  6-7 stories, 110 units) update: whole new layer of red brick being cemented on exterior.

Looking NW from Main St. at Interstate Drive:

Drift Hotel, Stadium Inn, Sept 17, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking north from Main St. at North 2nd St:

Drift Hotel, Stadium Inn, Sept 17, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking SE from Howerton Ave., 1/2 block east of North 2nd St:

Drift Hotel, Stadium Inn, Sept 17, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking SW from intersection of Interstate Drive and Howerton Ave:

Drift Hotel, Stadium Inn, Sept 17, 2022, 4.jpeg

https://drifthotels.co/nashville

Is this the same project? If so, I'm pretty shocked by how good these renderings look. Exterior renderings are notably missing, but it seems to be looking like a very effective rebrand if it turns out like this.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Drift Hotel (complete renovation of Stadium Inn at  6-7 stories, 110 units) update: the new brick exterior is being painted white.

Looking  east from Howerton Ave., 1/2 block east of North 2nd St:

Drift Hotel, Oct 16, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from intersection of Howerton Ave. and Interstate Drive:

Drift Hotel, Oct 16, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking north from intersection of Interstate Drive and Main St:

Drift Hotel, Oct 16, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking NE from Main St., just east of North 2nd St:

Drift Hotel, Oct 16, 2022, 4.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Drift Hotel (complete renovation of Stadium Inn

Sorry - I just can't help it. If you want some really good laughs on your autumn weekend - read through Tripadvisor Reviews for the Stadium Inn. Yes, that page is still live (for now) on Tripadvisor and it gives a prime purview into what guests experienced. Ranging from hilarious to sad to awful.

From the link, go to 'Reviews' tab near top of the page.  It's a trip (pun).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55229-d122629-Reviews-Stadium_Inn-Nashville_Davidson_County_Tennessee.html

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:02 PM, titanhog said:

I drove Uber for a few weeks a few years ago and picked up a young, wealthy female at BNA coming into town for a bachelorette party.  She got in and said, “I’m going to the Knight’s Inn.”  I looked at her and said, “Are you sure?”  She was like, “yeah…the price was good and the photos online looked ok.  Since it’s so close to everything, I figured it would be ok.”  I said, “I personally wouldn’t stay there as a single female.  That place is really sketchy.”  She was like, “I’m sure it will be fine."

15 minutes later, we pull up in the parking lot and she sees it and says, “Do you mind waiting here while I go in for a minute?”  She comes back out a few minutes later…wide-eyed… and says, “Can you take me to the Omni Hotel instead?” :rofl:

Very nice of you to wait there for her! 

• Like 1