East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Real estate developers soon could be jockeying for the rights to develop 40 acres of land surrounding the proposed $2.1 billion domed stadium for the Tennessee Titans.

Legislation under review at Metro Council would authorize Metro to formally solicit a development partner on government-owned land near the potential new stadium, as depicted on the map below.

The land to be developed is a critical piece of how a stadium would be financed. The property likely will be included in a yet-to-be-drawn area surrounding the stadium in which half of sales tax revenues would be used to help pay off the $760 million of debt Metro would take on under the proposed stadium deal.

Particulars of the formal solicitation aren't yet public, though Mayor John Cooper has said Metro will not sell land, which means the government would lease it to developers.

The bid would be issued "immediately" if Metro Council approves the legislation, said Cooper spokesman TJ Ducklo.

That legislation describes the 40 areas as the "initial development area" and calls it "critical to accomplishing coordinated development."

The legislation says Metro is seeking a developer "with substantial resources and a record of successfully completing comparable projects."

Proposals from developers "must address … the provision of infrastructure, diverse and attainable housing, parks and green space, and transportation and mobility facilities," according to the legislation. "Proposers must demonstrate financial and management capacity suited to the project and a record of successful completion of comparable projects, including transit-oriented developments in mixed-use urban environments."

In particular, the land immediately bordering the new stadium would be developed "simultaneously" as the stadium, Ducklo said, "in order to make sure the site is well-coordinated. For example, installation of utilities, parking, transportation should be integrated with development happening around the stadium."

To enable that simultaneous activity, Ducklo said, the Titans would waive restrictions in the team's current lease with Metro that make it just about impossible for Metro to build on the land today.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/11/02/titans-nfl-domed-stadium-proposal-real-estate-bid.html

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 3.04.55 PM.png

Wouldn't a single developer's mega-project take longer? I'd rather they bid out blocks with some sort of guidance as to what they want in those respective parcels.

For example, parcel 102 is zoned DTC, requires 50,000 sq ft of retail and 250+ units of residential with max 200 parking spots, and 10% of residential units are reserved for under 60% AMI. Who wants to build on it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, lmc123 said:

From the TDOT long range plan with "choice lanes":

image.thumb.png.34d27f59dd262e5ca5605248644b87c0.png

Link to the study with more potential renderings:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/congestion-studies/TDOT_CAPCompilation_MiddleTNAppendix_2022_08.pdf

I wonder how much space is taken up by highway interchanges in the core?  Just going by the eye ball test, it is probably at least as much acreage as all of downtown at least, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lmc123 said:

From the TDOT long range plan with "choice lanes":

image.thumb.png.34d27f59dd262e5ca5605248644b87c0.png

Link to the study with more potential renderings:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/congestion-studies/TDOT_CAPCompilation_MiddleTNAppendix_2022_08.pdf

Thank you for posting, this is an interesting document that has some very detailed plans for the DT loop reconstruction. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I really like the idea of establishing a children's museum in Nashville.  I made a pledge as well.  I hope this will be a combination of grassroots and corporate sponsorship to get it done. 

Techically the Adventure Science Center IS a children's museum as it was built to replace the original Children's Museum that was  in an old Civil war building behind the Howard Office complex on Second Avenue.  The name was changed  back in the 1980's I think I recall, but it has always had it's operation and exhibits oriented to children above all.

I'm old enough to remember the Civil War building housing the old Children's Museum.  And then that closed and what is now called Adventure Science Center was opened and was called the Cumberland Science Center or something to that effect.

Since I was always thought the Adventure Science Center was a children's museum I now wonder what exhibits a children's museum would have that the current facility does not have.

Edited by bnacincy

The Metro Planning Department is applying for $500,000 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to study possible environmental contaminants — what Metro calls a “first yet highly important step in initiating redevelopment.” It would require no Metro matching funds.

Dating back to the 19th century, the properties have been home to industrial and other uses that could have left environmental contaminants, though Metro notes the area “has never been studied.” Among the historical uses are lumber yards, brickyards, coal and ice distributors, and bridge and barge manufacturers. Possible contaminants could include petroleum, creosote, lead, asbestos and wood-treatment chemicals, according to Metro.

A study would “allow Metro to quantify the scale and scope of potential cleanup activities necessary for successful transformation of the East Bank,” the application notes.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro/metro-seeks-funds-to-study-possible-contaminants-on-east-bank/article_a5699422-7ca1-11ed-a487-1b5bad69584f.html

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...