East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

1 hour ago, MagicPotato said:

Once the East Bank area is developed, I can't even imagine how much worst traffic on I-24 is going to become. 

This is a majority  Concern and regardless to any development coming downtown will the city  Improve I 24. Over all  The Oracle development will bring 8000 +more people downtown alone. 

• Like 4

On 11/27/2021 at 4:26 AM, MagicPotato said:

Once the East Bank area is developed, I can't even imagine how much worst traffic on I-24 is going to become. 

Widen it now.

And not this one-lane-in-each-direction stuff either.  That might be good for 1996 Nashville.  Last I checked, it's 2021.  IMO, when expanding, it might be good to start with at least a 15-20 year projection, especially for a city that's growing like the Music City.

• Like 4

On 11/27/2021 at 4:29 AM, chris holman said:

This is a majority  Concern and regardless to any development coming downtown will the city  Improve I 24. Over all  The Oracle development will bring 8000 +more people downtown alone. 

We’re bringing a ton of jobs downtown. It’s critical to bring more housing downtown too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, andywildman said:

We’re bringing a ton of jobs downtown. It’s critical to bring more housing downtown too. 

Not just housing, but affordable housing. 

7 hours ago, downtownresident said:

The East Bank, and the DT loop in general need much more than a simple widening, all of the interchanges need to be rebuilt and re-designed. These 1950s and 1960s era interchanges just don’t cut it anymore. 

If you call the inner and outer "loops" actual loops , more like half circles with spaghetti noodles attached to it.  :tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

Are you familiar with induced demand? I'd much rather the money that would be spent on widening be used on time-competitive, high capacity mass transit operating in dedicated ROW.

Meanwhile, the state is expanding i65 north of the city to 30 lanes in either direction so they can dump more kentuckians and exurbanites into our town AND the state goes out of it's way to block meaningful mass transit.

Induced demand does not apply to, for example, Nashville's downtown interstate core.  One of the biggest choke points is the 24/65 interchange on the north side of the east bank.  That needs to be expanded and there is already unused land there, no need to eminent domain any.

The Nissan Stadium parking should remain as that's where they will (should) build the next stadium.  Unless ya'll want to get Atlanta Braves'd and the next stadium goes to LEB-NUN or some crap.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

Are you familiar with induced demand? I'd much rather the money that would be spent on widening be used on time-competitive, high capacity mass transit operating in dedicated ROW.

You have to look at it as a function of throughput per unit width of ROW. How many people can I move through a corridor of a given width? What combination of transportation modes maximize that number?

Highway widening is still an increase in throughput, even if the congestion levels remain the same. If I add lanes to an Interstate then (setting aside congestion issues that ought to be managed) roughly 2,000 more people per lane per hour have the option to utilize it. Some of them may choose it over another route or mode they used previously, others may choose to use it as part of a trip that didn't exist before, but either way the implication is that it has provided them an improvement to their transportation needs or else they would keep doing what they were doing before it was widened.

The same goes for mass transit, if I set aside ROW for transit then I have to ask how many people are going to choose to use it as a function of the corridor width I'm dedicating to it. I mentioned before on here that one of the problems with selling the Amp was that the project didn't replace two lanes of vehicular traffic with a comparable alternative. Moving 1,600 passenger cars per hour per lane on West End Avenue (or any corridor) is the equivalent of running fully-loaded buses with headways in the range of two minutes in a dedicated lane, which comes nowhere close to either the projections for ridership or the planned headways for the service.

The point of induced demand either way is that the demand is not really induced by the transportation mode itself, that's secondary to the need to travel. If I build a 50-lane highway between two hamlets it's not going to magically fill up with vehicles any more than a high-speed rail link would magically fill up with passengers. Either option might eventually become used to the point of congestion if people and businesses were to move to the two hamlets to take advantage of the convenient link, but that's the whole point.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

You'll get no argument against this from me.  To be clear, many in this community have seen multiple posts from me in favor of mass transit.  My comment starts from a seeming reality that Nashville will NOT approve mass transit.  So, with that being said....widen it.

• Like 2

At a public review meeting on Tuesday night, the Metro Planning Dept. showed preliminary designs for public infrastructure including: an activated riverfront, multimodal boulevards, diversity of housing types, residential streets, neighborhood parks, green streets and resilient landscapes. 

Sketches show proposed ideas for a continuous bikeway, that provides an off-road trail for both cyclists and pedestrians that would connect with Nashville's Greenway plan. 

Additional continuous greenway trail systems were outlined that would run throughout the East Bank, and connect to the upcoming River North neighborhood and over toward Germantown and Downtown. 

"The greenway really can be used for commuting and transportation and not just for leisure activities," said Ana Grider, a planner at the Metro Planning department at Tuesday night's meeting. 

Plans for the greenway include creating neighborhood parks, as neighborhoods form on the East Bank. 

Another concept discussed at the meeting included improving cross-river connection points at the James Robertson Parkway and Woodland Street Bridge. 

While the department's future steps include setting housing goals for the East Bank, the concepts indicate creating dense, mixed-use and affordable housing developments. 

"We've heard questions about whether the planning department will ever support single-family uses on the East Bank. The answer's no," said Lucy Kempf, executive director of the department. "You will never see the planning department make that recommendation." 

Throughout the night, city planners asked for people's immediate feedback on the sketches, and often asked what was missing. Repeatedly, affordable housing came up.

Immediate next steps for city planners are to analyze tonight's and ongoing feedback, and refine drafts for open spaces and the mobility network, the East Bank's new streets, greenways and bikeways. 

The next update on the study likely won't come until early next year, said Richel Albright, a public information officer for the planning department. 

Aside from housing, further next steps the planning department has outlined for themselves include establishing flood protection and sustainability standards, exploring bridge and utility locations and reviewing development applications. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2021/12/01/city-planners-release-emerging-concepts-east-bank-developments/8796619002/

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.08.07 AM.png

• Like 4