East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

• 2 weeks later...

I still think this is a project that is a huge waste of money and could be done much cheaper by utilizing existing roads. Its lack of imagination and wanting to have a grand project. I have a plan that would work that is not a straight line. Why do you have to have have nice straight lines to make things work? You don’t.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

That is very well thought out. Can any of it be done though without a complete overhaul of the expressways through that area? I realize the Oracle development will call for 2(?) connectors to Dickerson under I24, but does anyone know of TDOT’s plans for everything south of Trinity Lane to the Cumberland?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is why I am saying make that the spine and use existing right of ways Metro already owns instead of buying property they do not own and making a new blasted road.  Worthless use of taxpayer dollars. They can make the existing roads 100' wide. They still have the RR tracks to contend with. If I am RMR I am going to charge Metro top dollar for cutting through my property and that will eat up a lot of your budget over something as stupid as a road that can be done as well in a different location.

Who says these roads have to be all straight! I think the grid is fine around the stadium and can be done but on the other side of Main, give it up! You have the colonial facility, RR Tracks, other large pre-existing buildings in the way, and property owners ready to start of large development projects. If I were them, I would be taking Metro to court.

You also let RMR worry about their own roads without Metro stepping in and building them for them!

The easy answer is yes. But the harder question is, should it be?

A question was asked at the last community meeting about TDOT/NDOT involvement and we were told that they are involved (I can personally confirmed NDOT is heavily involved as I was have spoken with the dedicated bike liaison for the entire East Bank) and that TDOT is evaluating the interstate connections. No indication was given as to what though. They did show a dashed connection of Ellington to the Interstate which I think is on TDOT's wish list, but I believe would be a huge mistake. Planning did mention how the desired outcome would be for folks not to use the interstate as a quick on/off going from Shelby up to James Robertson/Spring Street as the intent of Interstates is longer travel not high speed "get me past this traffic queue" travel.

This would be my hope for the interstate in the area. Rework the interchange for northbound at Spring Street and eliminate the cloverleaf. Eliminate the cloverleaf on the south side as well and direct all traffic off the Dickerson ramp to the traffic signal. Eliminate the southbound and northbound ramp at Main Street/James Robertson. Eliminate the southbound and northbound ramps at Woodland. Eliminate the southbound off ramp at Shelby and reconstruct the onramp. Reconfigure the intersection at S 4th Ave to have only one northbound on ramp (maybe the bridge going over 24 gets redesigned to a DDI eventually to eliminate a left turn).

image.thumb.png.0b0d6c1bcfd191021e1d2fa78ef810e8.png

Traffic on the southbound side would then be exiting 24 at Dickerson and make use of the spine and/or a connected Frontage Drive (RR creates havoc).

• Like 3

The Davidson County Juvenile Justice complex will relocate to the 13 acre site that has been home to the Al Menah Shrine Temple since 1977.  This will free-up the several acre site at 100 Woodland St. (just NE of Nissan Stadium) for redevelopment as part of the reimagining of the East Bank.  A new primary north-south boulevard through that area will cut right through this tract. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-buys-al-menah-shrine-temple-site-for-9m/article_054635c4-5f72-11ec-809d-33a10b3db473.html

• Like 3

I'm with @smeagolsfree—it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use existing routes than to try to cut new ROW through the east bank. Even if the existing ROW is widened to accommodate complete streets, that's still less technically complex than new ROW for a roadway on new alignment.

There's also the issue of disposing of excess land. I worked on a project in Chattanooga that basically consisted of removing a few redundant streets to spur development and create a more ped- and bike-friendly corridor along the remaining street grid and we found it was very hard to get the excess land marketable to a point where the planners' vision would be realized. For starters, the utilities that ran along the roadway corridor remained after it was gone and the utility providers (particularly American Water) were in no hurry to move where they owned an easement. There was also the access issue as removing the streets cut off access for some small parcels with no easy way to restore it without additional easements. Finally you can't assume that the excess land will naturally be consolidated into adjacent parcels and create a larger parcel more suited for development; on the contrary, the sale process (governed by federal regulations) seems to encourage outside firms to buy up the land and hold it.

It would make more sense if we didn't have 95% of a completed corridor already. Two S-curves at each end of the Car Hole connect 1st Street to 2nd Street and create a single corridor (the green line below) all the way through the study area. This alignment also avoids a direct intersection with Korean Veterans Boulevard, which may be desired as a full build-out of the east bank would quickly turn that intersection into a bottleneck (the connection can still be made indirectly via a realigned Victory Avenue as well as additional multimodal connections). This would have already existed if construction of the stadium didn't remove 1st Avenue here, which is interesting in the sense that a decision that was probably a no-brainer 25 years ago (blowing up the street grid) would be almost a deal-breaker today.

image.png.fbc555baf0f9421453db4f9ccbb9aaee.png

• Like 1

Whatever the end result, it needs to be a well connected network of roads that don't funnel everything into the same 1-2 street(s) and connect to the main routes to downtown.  Need to be done in sync with the Interstate overhaul.  The streets through there need to connect logically, and personally I like the numerical naming system for streets.  Very friendly for out-of-towners. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

I agree that's absurd!  Lots of big cities do the "Honorary" sign under the historic/existing name. Changing street names is not cheap either for people who live there. My brother in law had to change the name/address on all his business media when his street's name in Atlanta was changed.  It cost him over $2 thousand. 

I realize I'm too logical ever to be on a city council.  I've posted on here my suggestion of a way to honor those who have left their marks on a city's history, but for some reason changing street names and forcing all those businesses/residents who live there to bear the cost for their 'magnanimity' is popular among elected officials. And in most cases the streets are renamed with the full name including suffixes of the individual commemorated, as if there's going to be any confusion as to whom the street was named for, father or son.  Reminds me of the silliness of having college athletes putting their suffixes on the backs of their jerseys.  To your point, my message to city council people would be if you're going to change the name of a street, then change the whole dang street (not just a portion). Or if they must change street names, then do so with new streets such as Korea Vets Blvd... or the proposed 'spine' street on the East Bank. 

• Like 1

To the point of renaming streets, I am done with all the renaming of streets in Downtown Nashville. I don't care who we are trying to rename them for. It is getting ridiculous, confusing, and absurd. To the point of the East Bank, they can rename all of the streets there because no one hardly uses these streets, and there are few established businesses on them now unlike the way it was in 1995 when there was a grid and many working businesses there.

I don't know think it would confuse too many folks if 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Sts. in that area were eliminated and replaced with something more in line with the reinvented East Bank. I do feel that naming them after people is the wrong thing to do. That gets too political period! I think they should honor the old East Nashville Industry that was on the East Bank!

Some of you have no idea what it looked like before the Titans stadium. It was very industrial in nature. I can't find any images quickly, maybe one of you can!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Interesting that Ewing is getting nibbles for his project. There is a new Development Tracker App for the project, so we will see what comes out of  that. 

Although it seems like a lot of smoke & mirrors, as hot that Nashville is Ewing might have a chance of pulling off something. If he can entice a major player, with a large corporate relocation or a deep pocket investor/ developer anything could be possible. There’s no time like the present, to invest in Nashville!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Interesting that Ewing is getting nibbles for his project. There is a new Development Tracker App for the project, so we will see what comes out of  that. 

It’s for a community plan amendment. I wonder if they are following the Monroe playbook, amass the land and get zoning in place, then sell off to a larger player / group of developers to implement the vision. 

• Like 3