East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

13 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

It’s for a community plan amendment. I wonder if they are following the Monroe playbook, amass the land and get zoning in place, then sell off to a larger player / group of developers to implement the vision. 

That's my thoughts, as I mentioned above a large corporate relocation like Oracle , or a developer like Hines, Congress , Tishman. 

55 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Although it seems like a lot of smoke & mirrors, as hot that Nashville is Ewing might have a chance of pulling off something. If he can entice a major player, with a large corporate relocation or a deep pocket investor/ developer anything could be possible. There’s no time like the present, to invest in Nashville!

I still expect that whatever he can get built will look more like a suburban office park (perhaps even like Metro Center) than the uber urban renderings he proffered.  So question... is Vashti Street under I-65 wide enough to serve as a major artery if/when Cowan Street is widened through the Oracle and River North developments? 

Edited by MLBrumby

Again the problem they are facing up there is access. It’s just a crappy location when it comes to that. Trinity Lane or Buena Vista Blvd is all you have. They wanted a trio of bridges at one time, but that is a lot of money and they would have connected into Metro Center. That is another area with limited access.

It’s not as bad as the Maytown Ctr with just one access point being OHB, but almost the same concept. They wanted a bridge too. When you have these large projects without easy access to the interstate, then there are difficulties. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, totally agree with you on that. but do you think , if it was a large scale relocation the likes of Oracle or Amazon , that the State .. TDOT would get involved to entice the deal. Look at what they are capable of with the infrastructure for River North. Between Metro &  State I would think if it was a solid project, we would see new bridges and even a interstate spur a possible solution.

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Yeah, totally agree with you on that. but do you think , if it was a large scale relocation the likes of Oracle or Amazon , that the State .. TDOT would get involved to entice the deal. Look at what they are capable of with the infrastructure for River North. Between Metro &  State I would think if it was a solid project, we would see new bridges and even a interstate spur a possible solution.

To that project, I hope not! An Interstate spur to that location for that project along would make zero sense and a bridge maybe, but that would be a 30 to 50 million dollar expense minimum.

Just like the Maytown area project that was planned at one time. The Mays still have all that land and desperately want to develop it against the wishes of the neighbors, but they would need a bridge but I doubt that would even help them.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 2:15 PM, MLBrumby said:

So question... is Vashti Street under I-65 wide enough to serve as a major artery if/when Cowan Street is widened through the Oracle and River North developments? 

According to this screenshot it could be, but I've run there a few times- the curve and eroding bank would make it difficult without major work. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 12.06.05 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cowan is expected to be expanded to approximately 110' wide ROW. Vashti will certainly need improvements, but the question will be is how much seeing as the road terminates up at Baptist World Center Drive. Unless the plan is to improve from Vashti allll the way up Brick Church Pike to Trinity (which would be great if it was improved and not expanded), I think most of the eggs will be going into the Cleveland Street tunnel project for the second major, vehicular access point. 

• Like 3

When the river goes up pretty high, Vashti St. goes underwater too. There are a number of back roads that weave around in that area to Dickerson & Trinity, not to mention Baptist World Center Drive.

None of those roads are designed to handle large amounts of traffic except W. Trinity and when you get to I-24/65 there will be a major bottleneck if there is a major amount of traffic flowing into that intersection.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, markhollin said:

Stillwater Capital is planning a 361 unit residential complex on 4.2 acres at 186 North 1st St. according to a stormwater grading permit. No word on the height (probably 4 or 5 stories).  Park Center is the current owner of the site and 1 story warehouse on the lot, having paid $7 million for it 4 years ago.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/east-bank-warehouse-seemingly-has-buyer/article_e19c3920-b43a-11ec-bcaf-cb30ec35b4b4.html

The site is the warehouse on the lower left of this view:

Stillwater, 186 North 1st, aerial site.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Stillwater, 186 North 1st, site map.png

So I may have missed this earlier, but how does this project location impact the new East Bank connector road? Weren't the renderings going right through this property and aligning Cowan with 2nd? Or with the Titans project will they just keep 1st Street the main connector road? See below for reference:

New details released about Nashville's East Bank | WZTV

Edited by Logan McCoy
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Logan McCoy said:

So I may have missed this earlier, but how does this project location impact the new East Bank connector road? Weren't the renderings going right through this property and aligning Cowan with 2nd? Or with the Titans project will they just keep 1st Street the main connector road? See below for reference:

All of the river side greenway is improbably  optomistic..  From Jefferson Street Bridge to the existing docks east of the stadium  is much lower than what this concept shows.  There is nearly a 30 foot vertical drop down to the normal river level and there is the historicsite of the first bridge abutments that should not be destroyed as this is also part of the Trail of Tears history.  I find the streets proposed through the current stadium parking ludicrous as this would preclude a new stadium being located ther.  This needs to go back to the drawing board y'all.

Edited by Baronakim

The spine road is "being adjusted" as the new stadium is being designed on a new site (presumably to the east of the current stadium BLAH). This diagram came out last summer well before anything for the stadium was even brought up. So I would say it wouldn't be an unreasoable presumption that the proposed street grid will "be adjusted" just like the stadium siting is being adjusted. 

As for the project that @Logan McCoyis referencing. Similar to the RMR project, the developers and spine road design team are going to have to work together for the desired solution. We know of the opinions of folks who don't like the idea of the spine road, but ultimately this is a NDOT capital improvement and ROW acquisition is part of that. Whether that is through purchasing or eminent domain. I would think it is in the developers best interest to work with NDOT so that they receive something in return for the dedicated ROW. At this point, I have no sympathy for developers and their relationship to the spine road as it has been part of the conversation for coming up on a year now, so if they are not coordinating with a known element like that, it is a shameful effort on their design team.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Logan McCoy said:

I think tis doesn't work at all with the new cental road.  It looks doable  in plan with intersections at Main Street and Woodland Street, BUT there is a massive elevation diffeence  at those points.  There can be no intection at the Victory Memorial Bridge as  it could only pass UNDER the existing bridge ramp up.  Similarly the small  new road has a similar problem and the clearence is totally inadequate to go under it  and then steeply ramp back down to Woodland.  I do not think a complete rework of the approach to the Victory bridge is very likely  at all.  I think some  folks have not done a lot of homework on this outdated propsal.  Thank heavens this is being restudied now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

That being said, I would hate to see any above grade parking on the East Bank. It'll happen, of course, but I would love if we could set the design guidelines for no at or above grade parking structures.

In the MLB thread, Bos2Nash raised the topic of parking on the East Bank. (I'm continuing that conversation here to keep things on topic.)

Normally, I would agree with the preference for below grade parking. But due to the flood risks of the area, I think at or above grade parking might actually be better for the East Bank.

What do y'all think? I feel like flood mitigation has not been a big enough part of the conversation.

While I love the connections being made and remade with this plan, as well as dedicated bus lanes, I am still disappointed to not see bike paths/lanes. It is a huge missed opportunity especially since this is essentially a brand new road. Hopefully they will be implemented in future renderings. And maybe those bus lanes could be turned into LRT in the future.

• Like 2

Quck math says nearly 21,000 new aparments!! Wow!  So is there any expectation that TDOT will be "on the ball" and upgrade/widen I-24 while this whole plan is being built?  If TDOT needs to buy more land for that effort, they may find themselves up a creek.  I like the frontage road along I-24, but how will the connector from South 6th to Hermitage work without a major exit? So is this plan simply independent of whatever TDOT plans for exits and upgrades? I find the location of that new bridge interesting and wonder if it might have anything to do with future plans for a ballpark in that area.  

This map tells me the most about their plans, but I don't see what the thick broken line where Cowan Street meets Vashti means. I realize the broken thin lines are bike/pedestrain paths, but what is that line from the RMR (center of the map) to Ellington Parkway?  To my point about I-24 (above) that whole interchange needs to be redone, like yesterday. 

East Bank Study, April 18, 2022, diagram 4.png

• Like 4

A question for those with the knowledge; Does TDOT really need more land for enhanced interchange upgrades if they use diverging diamond interchanges? Those type of interchanges seem as if they could work anywhere. Also, TDOT has more right of way they can use to expand, not much but a little more, just like they do on the south loop of 40.

• Like 2