East Bank – I-24 to the Cumberland/I-24 Overpass up to Jefferson – 338 Acres, Nissan Stadium, "Imagine East Bank"

downtownresident

42 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I cannot find the split-leveled roofs in the end zone. Can you point out?

With apologies to @PHofKS...

1988022404_1NewNissanroof.thumb.jpg.20e36fef626c16dddf10de3c3d455696.jpg.24f0f2312d1b6fa55a1759527ed2d265.jpg

I noticed that the ramps to get up the the top level are "hidden" or not shown in the renderings. Are they being taken out, or is the new concourse not a cantilever but new support (outside the existing ramps) up to the new concourse?

That is a good point. My guess is that they just weren't included in the renderings (which aren't terribly thorough on details; note for example that the new loge seating is floating without supports). The elevator banks are missing as well. It's hard to get a feeling on the impacts of the proposed improvements to the existing structure; for example, the upper level party decks appear to partially replace existing seating. There's not a compelling reason to do this (and questionable as to whether it's structurally feasible) so I'm inclined to write it off (and other items that don't make a lot of sense) to the conceptual nature of the renderings.

That being said, it would be hard to meet ingress/egress standards without the ramps. That's not to say they couldn't be improved upon. But my point was that adding a concourse at/near the top of the stadium would require adding one or two more levels to each ramp, as shown in the below photo (of one of the north ramps):

A.thumb.jpg.99b284344c6a4f61a93b32e9e266724a.jpg

Again, not really a compelling reason to add a concourse given the costs/impacts.

As an aside it has always annoyed me that the north and south ramps aren't symmetrical and I've never figured out a good reason why it was done.

Overall I really wanted a roof like Seattle or Miami, but if this renovation is what gets the Titans to extend their lease, I will certainly take it. 

I think they need to pull the trigger on a roof (technically two roofs) covering each of the seating towers. Four columns in the corners of the stadium (right behind the ends of the club level seating), two large trusses running longitudinally, etc. The roofs can be (and would probably have to be) structurally independent of the seating towers themselves. This is a common arrangement in modern stadiums, not just at Lumen Field (Seattle) but also as a component of many fully-covered stadiums (AT&T Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, NRG Stadium, et al.). The only trick applying here is that, if it doesn't touch the existing structure, the span needs to be a little longer than average (700-800 feet).

This would cover the majority of the seats, should leave plenty of natural light for the field, and would instantly improve those September games.

The Dolphins (or I guess their holding company) spent $350 million on the upgrades to Hard Rock Stadium, including the roof, in 2015, so we are not that far away in terms of price. Of course this could have been paid for with the money used to build the soccer stadium but that's another can of worms.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

As an aside it has always annoyed me that the north and south ramps aren't symmetrical and I've never figured out a good reason why it was done.

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do not like the curved one. 

55 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I think they need to pull the trigger on a roof (technically two roofs) covering each of the seating towers. Four columns in the corners of the stadium (right behind the ends of the club level seating), two large trusses running longitudinally, etc. The roofs can be (and would probably have to be) structurally independent of the seating towers themselves. This is a common arrangement in modern stadiums, not just at Lumen Field (Seattle) but also as a component of many fully-covered stadiums (AT&T Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, NRG Stadium, et al.). The only trick applying here is that, if it doesn't touch the existing structure, the span needs to be a little longer than average (700-800 feet).

Yes. Is anyone on this board able to sketch that? 

• Thanks 1

About the Nissan Stadium renderings, I remember reading, about 5 months ago news regarding the FIFA Committee (World Cup selection committee) visiting various cities for the cities' final presentations for hosting world cup (soccer) games in 2026 when the games come to North America. I would presume Nashville was also visited although there was no news on this (the City is good at keeping secrets), I am also wondering if these (slightly crude) renderings were part of that process. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I think football should  be played in the elements.

Are you a Packers fan?  As a Titans fan after last night, plus a previously horrendous drubbing in those elements, I disagree (kidding).  A retractable roof allows for weather in the elements...can't have a Super Bowl or Final Four of any nature without a roof....not in Nashville anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Are you a Packers fan?  As a Titans fan after last night, plus a previously horrendous drubbing in those elements, I disagree (kidding).  A retractable roof allows for weather in the elements...can't have a Super Bowl or Final Four of any nature without a roof....not in Nashville anyway.

you can have a super bowl or college football playoff (or big college football game) with just a seat covering roof. 

I listened to Mike Keith and Amy on Official Titans Podcast and they said it would not be a dome. I do not know if it will be seat covering like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati (as shown in the renderings) or if it will be like Miami Hard Rock Stadium (please God). It will also be done over several years and not done all at once. 

@PHofKS @PruneTracy or anyone else- can you please submit the below two sketches to the Titans for the "fan feedback" and see what comes back?

image.png.dfe3bc3b9c2114463e96db6a224d4da7.png

A.jpg.e5f8899705611c3f2493eaf118d65366.jpg

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

you can have a super bowl or college football playoff (or big college football game) with just a seat covering roof. 

I listened to Mike Keith and Amy on Official Titans Podcast and they said it would not be a dome. I do not know if it will be seat covering like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati (as shown in the renderings) or if it will be like Miami Hard Rock Stadium (please God). It will also be done over several years and not done all at once. 

"not in Nashville anyway"......You can't host a Final Four basketball tournament in an open  air stadium, and as attractive as Nashville may be as a host city, the weather in January and February will not allow for an NCAA football playoff or Super Bowl even with covered seating.  Obviously, Miami can get away with only covered seating versus a dome for those games as it doesn't have the threat of snow but much more so the likelihood of freezing temperatures.

Of course the Titans aren't going to completely cover the stadium; my original post stated it's short-sided not to enclose the stadium for those reasons above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tragenvol said:or Super Bowl even with covered seating.  Obviously, Miami can get away with only covered seating versus a dome for those games as it doesn't have the threat of snow but much more so the likelihood of freezing temperatures.

New York hosted a super bowl with zero covered seating out in the middle of the meadow lands a few years ago. Nashville could host a super bowl with covered seating, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

New York hosted a super bowl with zero covered seating out in the middle of the meadow lands a few years ago. Nashville could host a super bowl with covered seating, IMO. 

IMO no.  New York/NJ was given an exemption for temperature requirements because of the brand new, shiny METLIFE Stadium along with two NFL teams hosting and the fact that the NFL has its headquarters in NYC.  Applying shade to a below average stadium like our beloved Nissan Stadium won't bring the Super Bowl here in the month of February.  Also, back to my original argument, three major sporting events could take place if Nashville had an enclosed NFL stadium:  NCAA Final Four, NCAA Football Playoffs and a Super Bowl.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

IMO no.  New York/NJ was given an exemption for temperature requirements because of the brand new, shiny METLIFE Stadium along with two NFL teams hosting and the fact that the NFL has its headquarters in NYC.  Applying shade to a below average stadium like our beloved Nissan Stadium won't bring the Super Bowl here in the month of February.  Also, back to my original argument, three major sporting events could take place if Nashville had an enclosed NFL stadium:  NCAA Final Four, NCAA Football Playoffs and a Super Bowl.

I agree. If we had an excellent entertainment district on the East Bank with seat covering like Miami, we could potentially get one super bowl. 

But building a dome would nearly be the cost of a new stadium. It’s just not going to happen, and I’ll happily be content with a renovated Nissan and sick entertainment district. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

Why do these even exist? As I said before, football (including the SB) should be played outdoors.

I could only speculate as to why the NFL requires a "climate-controlled domed stadium" for locations where the average temperature falls below 50° for its Super Bowls.

Edited by tragenvol

• 1 month later...