Spartanburg "Wish List" for 2021

roads-scholar

Before announcing my 2021 "Wish List" below is my list for 2020. and a review.   

• A new downtown hotel announcement.   (Maybe we'll see movement on the Cambria project?) Obviously Covid probably killed any chance this one would fly.  
  • A solid tenant (or tenants) for the Coca Cola building on West Main Street.  No news.  
  • A development announced for the Grain District on Daniel Morgan Avenue south of the AC Marriott Hotel.  No earth has been moved for the DanMor.  
  • Another downtown apartment / condo project.  Perhaps one that will enhance the skyline.   There is momentum for residential development.  
  • A promising new tenant for the empty Wild Ace building on West Main Street.   Another event center (seems like a waste for this location).  
  • More development at the Pine / Main intersection.  Nothing.  
  • Finally, a quality tenant for the proposed Gibbs office building project at Renaissance Park.  Nothing.  
  • An announcement regarding Milliken Village (tenants, construction timetable, etc.).  Nothing.
  • A redevelopment plan for Westgate Mall.  The only news is that CBL has filed for bankruptcy,  
  • More housing, affordable and market rate, in the city.   Lots of residential construction.  A real bright spot.  
  • Ground broken for Midtown Heights on Wofford Street.  We're seeing some action.  

2021 Wish List (mostly a repeat):

• A solid tenant (or tenants) for the Coca Cola building on West Main Street.   
  • A development announced for the Grain District on Daniel Morgan Avenue south of the AC Marriott Hotel.   DanMor groundbreaking?
  • Another downtown apartment / condo project.  Perhaps one that will enhance the skyline.   
  • More development at the Pine / Main intersection.   
  • Finally, a quality tenant for the proposed Gibbs office building project at Renaissance Park.  
  • An announcement regarding Milliken Village (tenants, construction timetable, etc.).  
  • A redevelopment plan for Westgate Mall.  
  • More housing, affordable and market rate, in the city.     
  • Announcement regarding the former blood bank building on East Main.  
  • Announcement regarding the redevelopment of Hillcrest Shopping Center.  Signs are up.  

• Like 3

I hope all projects move forward. Including the Smith Drug Store, Hotel, building on Daniel Morgan.

I wish the city would maybe approach Gibbs to build a larger business building downtown (the city needs to try to lure a company downtown to maybe replan/redraw the Gibbs building downtown.

I would love to see a future plan for a downtown venue (Spartanburg Auditorium)

Edited by Darelle

• A supermarket, either Ingle's or Publix, is announced downtown.  (Ingle's Markets still owns property on John B. White Sr. Boulevard where Ingle's #48 operated.)
  • Publix announces additional stores in Spartanburg County.  Boiling Springs and a second Spartanburg store have been hot in speculation.
  • Ingle's returns to Lyman with an additional store.  (Ingle's #93 operated on Inman Road before relocating to Duncan in 2003.  It was succeeded by Sav-Mor #893.  Sav-Mor #893 had a brief lifespan.)
  • Ingle's #38 on East Main Street in Spartanburg expands and rebuilds.
  • Plans for Milliken Village extend beyond its location.  Changes to site plans are possible.

Nothing happened in my 2020 wish list.  The list could carry over to 2020.

• West Main Street and John B. White Sr. Boulevard corridors are reclaimed and targeted for redevelopment.  
  • Like 2

There was a good HJ article about things to expect City Council to address in 2021, most of which are relevant to this thread.

Here's my wish list (includes some things from that article): 

- White-collar jobs announcement (to anchor Liberty office building)
- More trail/greenway construction
- West Main beautification / streetscape improvements
- More focus on addressing our growing homelessness problem
- Renovation plan for Carolina Theatre announced
- Construction underway on all planned apartments (Drayton, Franklin Ave, Cannon site, MHW, Danmor)
- Renovation plan for (at least) one E Main building (Kress, MW, bloodbank, State theater, One-Spartanburg-mural bldg)
- More annexation

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 8:16 PM, westsider28 said:

There was a good HJ article about things to expect City Council to address in 2021, most of which are relevant to this thread.

Here's my wish list (includes some things from that article): 

- White-collar jobs announcement (to anchor Liberty office building)
- More trail/greenway construction
- West Main beautification / streetscape improvements
- More focus on addressing our growing homelessness problem
- Renovation plan for Carolina Theatre announced
- Construction underway on all planned apartments (Drayton, Franklin Ave, Cannon site, MHW, Danmor)
- Renovation plan for (at least) one E Main building (Kress, MW, bloodbank, State theater, One-Spartanburg-mural bldg)
- More annexation

Ditto. 

Also, I hope for progress on the bike path on CCR bike path between the rail trail and Glendale  that's supposed to start this spring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...