Rebuilding Second Avenue

smeagolsfree

God what an absolute mess... but perhaps a silver lining after all is said and done, because these would have needed to be replaced sooner or later.  Plus perhaps this will be the catalyst for something which many of us have advocated for for quite awhile, including myself, which is to make that historic entertainment portion of 2nd Ave.  and Broadway a pedestrian only zone a la Beale St. and Bourbon St.  on 2nd Ave from Broadway to Church, and on Broadway from 1st to 5th.  Not to mention the dramatically increased security at the AT&T building.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

Or we could just discontinue these stupid state routes all together! Very few people even take those roads as routes from point A to point B any longer.

Just route them up on the Interstate through downtown.  The reason people get on them is if they are localsor the Interstate is closed.. Everyone has some  sort of GPS device to get them where they are going these days.

• Like 2

If managed properly (A big "if" when it comes to Metro and their bushy-browed mayor), the revival of Second (aka "Market" when I was at Vandy) could be a remarkable thing; quite possibly an extension of the LoBro entertainment district, but that's assuming the property owners and residents along that street would want that. Regardless, there needs to be a master plan drawn up quickly. And Metro needs to help ATT find a new, more secure home. Then they need to go to work getting investors to build new businesses at the ATT site and the burned out warehouse that has been a parking lot  (2nd and Church) for longer than I've ever been associated with Nashville.  The incentive needs to be that the city will allow a developer to build at least 7-stories, and up to 10 with set backs.  That would be the most valuable parcel (per s.f.) downtown. IMHO, blocking off to motorized traffic is a mixed bag. One of the great things about those streets is that people can drive up to the door.  I don't think parking should be allowed on the street. It should be enforced, especially during crowded hours. But certainly during the low-crowd periods during the middle of the night. Maybe block it off from traffic after (IDK... 11:00 pm or so).  Then a special permit may allow taxis, Uber/Lyft, et.al. and delivery trucks through there. 

Having said that, I have wondered over the past several years how safe LoBro/Second Avenue/Everywhere else with so much pedestrian traffic truly is.  That's the first thing Metro needs to do; ensure the public that it is so much safer now. There are crazies out there just looking for crimes to copy. for the next generation, 2nd Avenue and (I suppose) Broadway will always have a target to the crazies. 

• Like 3

Feds hand control over to Metro Wed. afternoon.

Metro Nashville announces next steps for downtown recovery - Nashville Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Metro Nashville Codes Department said in a statement Thursday morning. Now, the division is working with structural engineers to assess the historic buildings’ damage according to FEMA guidelines. Inspections are expected to wrap up today, the statement said.

The department said it plans to expedite rehabilitation permits — and in some cases, demolition permits — for many of Second Avenue’s damaged properties.

Because of the area’s historical and aesthetic significance, the city’s codes and planning divisions, as well as the Metropolitan Historical Commission, will all have a hand in reviewing and approving rehabilitation or demolition permits

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

If managed properly (A big "if" when it comes to Metro and their bushy-browed mayor), the revival of Second (aka "Market" when I was at Vandy) could be a remarkable thing; quite possibly an extension of the LoBro entertainment district, but that's assuming the property owners and residents along that street would want that. Regardless, there needs to be a master plan drawn up quickly. And Metro needs to help ATT find a new, more secure home. Then they need to go to work getting investors to build new businesses at the ATT site and the burned out warehouse that has been a parking lot  (2nd and Church) for longer than I've ever been associated with Nashville.  The incentive needs to be that the city will allow a developer to build at least 7-stories, and up to 10 with set backs.  That would be the most valuable parcel (per s.f.) downtown. IMHO, blocking off to motorized traffic is a mixed bag. One of the great things about those streets is that people can drive up to the door.  I don't think parking should be allowed on the street. It should be enforced, especially during crowded hours. But certainly during the low-crowd periods during the middle of the night. Maybe block it off from traffic after (IDK... 11:00 pm or so).  Then a special permit may allow taxis, Uber/Lyft, et.al. and delivery trucks through there. 

Having said that, I have wondered over the past several years how safe LoBro/Second Avenue/Everywhere else with so much pedestrian traffic truly is.  That's the first thing Metro needs to do; ensure the public that it is so much safer now. There are crazies out there just looking for crimes to copy. for the next generation, 2nd Avenue and (I suppose) Broadway will always have a target to the crazies. 

Finish installing the bollards on Lower Broadway would be a nice start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All you have to do is Google "5G attacks" and see many articles on 5G tower and structure attacks/threats.  Given this may become something of a norm, it would be dangerous and irresponsible to have that data center or centers like this near areas of high density.  AT&T should move this complex somewhere else and level that ridiculous building.  There is no need for something like that in the middle of a core business district.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

All you have to do is Google "5G attacks" and see many articles on 5G tower and structure attacks/threats.  Given this may become something of a norm, it would be dangerous and irresponsible to have that data center or centers like this near areas of high density.  AT&T should move this complex somewhere else and level that ridiculous building.  There is no need for something like that in the middle of a core business district.  

While this makes sense, there is no way to do this with every center in every city they're found without trillions of $$$ & many years to rewire to new centers.  It's almost completely unfeasible without companies likely jacking rates up sky high. they're not rolling that deep in dough to invest in something that is very minuscule in chances of happening.

Nashville alone would cost hundreds of millions to achieve and I just don't see it happening. They could perhaps do it in small phases, but would still take a very long time to achieve any sufficient risk mitigation.

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

It would be a lot cheaper to leave it alone and close off 2nd Ave to vehicle traffic. Would I prefer it elsewhere, of course, but the truth is that it would be way too expensive to relocate this, and as we know, money talks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

In this case, I'd be ALL IN for a public assistance to move to a location outside the CBD, to a location that doesn't endanger others. 

That makes no sense when it's it's such a minor chance to begin with, and even more so that even if the benefit to the populace at large. That's only if that minute probability actually were to happen, but the financial capital is something that does not make overall sense to the remainder of Davidson County and it dang sure isn't a viable option as tax revenue plummets off the earth after this year. 

Now, if every city & county that was tied to this facility were to help in said assistance, then it's more of a viable option, but good f'ing luck with that. 

58 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

That makes no sense when it's it's such a minor chance to begin with, and even more so that even if the benefit to the populace at large. That's only if that minute probability actually were to happen, but the financial capital is something that does not make overall sense to the remainder of Davidson County and it dang sure isn't a viable option as tax revenue plummets off the earth after this year. 

Now, if every city & county that was tied to this facility were to help in said assistance, then it's more of a viable option, but good f'ing luck with that. 

Wow! How do you really feel? And yet it actually just happened last week. Um, just sayin'. 

Edited by MLBrumby