Rebuilding Second Avenue

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Turner makes it sound like he was the only one on Second Avenue in 1992.  Hmmm... I recall going to Second Avenue many times when I was at Vandy, and I graduated that year.  Of course, there were fewer establishments at the time, but there was already a burgeoning scene. Sure, I suppose crime rose after midnight, after the crowds left, but I recall that San Antonio Taco Co. had recently opened a new restaurant next to Demos' a block away. There was a lot of renovation going on along the west side of the street at the time. IIRC, at that time it was more bustling than Broadway. It even had a 'new' name to convey an entertainment hub, Market Street. I believe it was later dubbed "The District".  I had even heard that the block that burned down in the mid-1980s was intentionally set because the investors decided they could make more money from parking. That's just a persistent rumor I heard in the late 80s. 

Hard Rock Café opened in 1994, and I'm sure they wouldn't have opened at that location if 2nd Ave/Market Street/The District was a ghost town.  Like you, I remember going there in the late 80s/early 90s.  Broadway was still pretty sketchy, but 2nd Ave's renaissance was already well underway.  In fact, Mère Bulles opened in 1985 on 2nd and was a wonderful place to go for some amazing food and good music.  The Old Spaghetti Factory opened in 1980.  I was in college in Utah back then but made many trips to Nashville (had tons of friends recruited by Opryland every summer).  We always enjoyed heading downtown.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, jmtunafish said:

It might take longer and cost more for Nashville to do the same, but I think it'll be worth it.  It certainly won't take 15 years as Nashville doesn't have an entire city to rebuild.  If done right, 2nd Ave could emerge from this looking just like it did prior to the bombing.

Well, not exactly.  Don't you think there will be some kind of memorial or historic marker at the site of the explosion?  I'm reminded of Dallas where there is a constant stream of tourists to the "Grassy Knoll" just for the morbid fascination of visiting a location where something happened.  At the very least, this spot on 2nd Avenue will be a destination on those downtown walking tours where the group will stop for a second while the tour guide explains what happened.  But I think there will be some kind of visual indicator there, in some form.

8 hours ago, Armacing said:

Well, not exactly.  Don't you think there will be some kind of memorial or historic marker at the site of the explosion?  I'm reminded of Dallas where there is a constant stream of tourists to the "Grassy Knoll" just for the morbid fascination of visiting a location where something happened.  At the very least, this spot on 2nd Avenue will be a destination on those downtown walking tours where the group will stop for a second while the tour guide explains what happened.  But I think there will be some kind of visual indicator there, in some form.

Since no one but the bomber was killed, I’m not sure if there will be a marker (other than maybe one of the buildings will have a “2021” or “2022” date or something placed into the building to mark its new build date.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

Before the rebuilding phase begins, I hope serious consideration is given to how to really maximize 2nd Avenue. If it is actually configured to be closed off to through traffic and become pedestrian-friendly, maybe leave slots for food trucks on select nights? Maybe a farmers market on the weekends? Maybe find a way to really set it apart the way 5th Ave (the Avenue of the Arts) is set off with overhead lighting or some other perk. 

I like the food truck idea, especially on the AT&T side. It would make much better use of the space. Any restaurants would gripe though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

That empty side of the brick AT&T building would be a good place for a massive mural. With the AT&T connection and potential AT&T funding, maybe a mural could highlight communication milestones in Nashville, or something river-related since that street is so historic for its river commerce. A meaningful mural could be something beautiful created from a tragic event.

That was in the works or at least some typeof art project.

While  I'm all for recreating the damaged Second Avenue buildings, there are things to consider. To what era do you restore to? 2020?, 1920?, 1870? The facades of these building had endured incremental, but in the long run, sometimes extensive changes over time. Whatever gets built back is a recreation, a stage set in a way. The original is gone. The interiors of these  building were 90% changed long ago. I do understand that some building owners will want to maximize the usefulness of whatever gets built back. This reminds me of the neighbor down the street that proudly states he lives in a 100 year old restored home. Only a small portion of the façade of that house is actually 100 years old. Walk thru the front door and it's all brand new.  

Edited by Nash_12South

This may be a pipe dream too, but I had a thought a couple weeks along the lines MLBrumby's has been preaching about moving it's location.  Rather than relocating it in some far off land relocate it in its current location but under ground.  One way in one way out or only accessible through the underground utility tunnels that I'm sure are already there.  It would be secure from future attacks being that it's underground and a lot less accessible furthering it's protection and the equipment inside wouldn't have to be relocated/rerouted.  AT&T could sale air rights above (I think "Air Rights" is the correct term, selling the land or space above your facility)  to developers extending the 2nd Ave. district onto this property as well.  These new extended 2nd Ave. structures would not have any physical access to the below ground utilities.  I'm sure this wouldn't be cheap but it would be much cheaper than moving to some far off land where this utilities would have to be relocated and also making money back from the sale of air rights.  

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 1