Rebuilding Second Avenue

smeagolsfree

Here are the key take a way's IMO: The below statement revel the cracks in the plan. It may ne too expensive to do what Historic Nashville want to do & we may end up with nothing being rebuilt if some leeway is not given or there is some sort of TIF. 

But the high cost of rebuilding to historic standards increases the likelihood some of the wounded structures will be brought down to the ground, canceling historic protections.

"We have the legal power to compel the owner to repair these," Historic Nashville President Elizabeth Elkins said. "We're hoping the owner understands."

"For anybody to redevelop that, they've got to be able to make it profitable," Spyridon said. "I'm a huge fan of adaptive restoration, but it has to make sense to the person writing the checks. I would suspect the renovation of a couple of those buildings is cost-prohibitive."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Here are the key take a way's IMO: The below statement revel the cracks in the plan. It may ne too expensive to do what Historic Nashville want to do & we may end up with nothing being rebuilt if some leeway is not given or there is some sort of TIF. 

But the high cost of rebuilding to historic standards increases the likelihood some of the wounded structures will be brought down to the ground, canceling historic protections.

"We have the legal power to compel the owner to repair these," Historic Nashville President Elizabeth Elkins said. "We're hoping the owner understands."

"For anybody to redevelop that, they've got to be able to make it profitable," Spyridon said. "I'm a huge fan of adaptive restoration, but it has to make sense to the person writing the checks. I would suspect the renovation of a couple of those buildings is cost-prohibitive."

Yes…if you allow an out-of-state investor who owns some of the properties to have the choice between a tear-down and rebuild ($) vs. save the structure and painstakingly put the pieces back together ($$$) they’re probably going to choose the former since it’s cheaper.  This is part of the reason I was saying from the beginning we should have had an immediate fundraiser started (similar to the funds that rolled in for Notre Dame in Paris) to help cover the costs above what insurance will pay.  I really doubt insurance is going to pay the full cost of rehabbing the buildings when tear-down and rebuild is way cheaper.

Is there no way to rebuild these structures from scratch and still make them "look" original?  Is it really that much more expensive?  I mean, so what if they don't look exactly like the structures they replace as long as they look like they could've been built 100 years ago?

• Like 3

On 2/12/2021 at 7:48 AM, smeagolsfree said:

This is going to get really messy and unfortunate. I am afraid for the District.:tw_cold_sweat:

This is truly unfortunate. how messy and entangled in dispute it becomes, depends on if it moves forward with clear minds or broken and saddened hearts. Of course, we all have a sad broken heart. But IMO , we have to understand the business aspect of the property owners. We have to put ourselves into their shoes. This situation has been forced upon them, and as much as they might want to rebuild to pre December 25th , they also have to have it make financial sense. The historical aspect has been both broken and lost. Think for a minute, if the original portrait of the Mona Lisa gets damaged and they painstakingly restore it, it still no longer is the original. The historical aspect no longer exists, and the time and money to do so only benefits those who hold the memory of what it was. Therefore as much as it hurts, that the fact is probably unfolding to be that it might become financially impossible to restore these properties without a huge influx of city money. 

25 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

This is truly unfortunate. how messy and entangled in dispute it becomes, depends on if it moves forward with clear minds or broken and saddened hearts. Of course, we all have a sad broken heart. But IMO , we have to understand the business aspect of the property owners. We have to put ourselves into their shoes. This situation has been forced upon them, and as much as they might want to rebuild to pre December 25th , they also have to have it make financial sense. The historical aspect has been both broken and lost. Think for a minute, if the original portrait of the Mona Lisa gets damaged and they painstakingly restore it, it still no longer is the original. The historical aspect no longer exists, and the time and money to do so only benefits those who hold the memory of what it was. Therefore as much as it hurts, that the fact is probably unfolding to be that it might become financially impossible to restore these properties without a huge influx of city money. 

Part of the reason there should have immediately been a fundraiser after the bombing.  At that moment, corporations and citizens around the world would have donated to help rebuild.  We know insurance isn’t going to cover the all cost to do it the way it should be done.  They’re going to give you enough to build something cheap that looks kinda the same…but it would be nice to have the extra money to actually attempt to save as much as you can and do some of the painstaking work that needs to be done to save some of the buildings that can actually be saved.

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Part of the reason there should have immediately been a fundraiser after the bombing.  At that moment, corporations and citizens around the world would have donated to help rebuild.  We know insurance isn’t going to cover the all cost to do it the way it should be done.  They’re going to give you enough to build something cheap that looks kinda the same…but it would be nice to have the extra money to actually attempt to save as much as you can and do some of the painstaking work that needs to be done to save some of the buildings that can actually be saved.

Maybe it's not too late for that to happen? Perhaps get the Chamber of Commerce involved and other entities. 

The UP community in Nashville might be able to take the lead on this if anyone had the right contacts to get it started.

As far as the AT&T Switching building is concerned, perhaps AT&T could build a much smaller, more secure building on 3rd Ave just behind the current building. Not a perfect solution but maybe it would be a viable alternative if it's too expensive to move the building out of Downtown.  It least it would get it off 2nd Ave.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 11:00 AM, NashRugger said:

If Three Thirty three in The Gulch is any indication, a brand new building can look like it's been there for a very long time. It's going to take a lot of work & it won't be easy, but I think it can be done right. 

I saw this in the Canal Ring in Amsterdam-it's very doable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

We’ve already discussed how re-construction can benefit the city. This was shared by a colleague over on LinkedIn who has been associated with the NCDC. Good thought process and diagrams that he’ll illustrate the possibilities. 
https://www.fablarchitecture.com/post/recovering-2nd-ave

Thanks Craig, I just Tweeted this out too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 7:26 AM, smeagolsfree said:

<Palpatine Voice> I think you'll find it is you, young Elkins, who are mistaken about a great many things! </Palpatine Voice>