Homelessness the Problem and the Solutions

KJHburg

2 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

By no means was my message a support for keeping Tent City long term.  My reply was frustration at the half measure taken by our local government to abruptly move this vulnerable part of our community with no long term plan.  Even after the 90 day hotel stay for those who take it, what happens next?  What is the plan for people who don't take the offer?

It all just seemed knee jerk, as did maybe my frustration post towards local government not considering the impacts to those living nearby such as yourself.

I fully understand. The situation sucks for everyone and it is a hard one to solve. I just don't want the solution to be let them make a mess of my or any other neighborhood. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally I have said this for years there needs to be a unified leadership of working on the problem of homelessness in this city.  Finally some action.  Houston has had one of these umbrella groups for years and years. 

A new plan for homelessness in Charlotte, signed by many of the city's most influential people - Axios Charlotte

I really hope they will examine Houston's HOME (homelesshouston.org)   that has REDUCED homelessness in a major metro area of 7 M

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Look at what Wilmington is doing for chronic homeless with a tiny home village.   Charlotte needs to do this somewhere.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/story/news/2022/05/25/wilmingtons-eden-village-plans-another-tiny-home-community/9747902002/

CMS and the county have lots of vacant and underused land around the county and city where a small village like this could be built.  I really think the county and city and CMS needs to evaluate all their land holdings and see what surplus properties they have for affordable housing or even something like this. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Savannah continues to build tiny homes for homeless on city owned vacant property.  Does the city of Charlotte have vacant property they could use or the county or the school system?

https://www.savannahnow.com/story/news/2022/09/01/savannah-city-council-approves-building-tiny-homes-homeless-georgia/7938926001/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I mentioned this a long time ago learn from Houston.  Now Charlotte is starting to do just that.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/money/markets/real-estate/affordable-housing-crisis/seeking-solutions-affordable-housing-charlotte-nc-houston-tx/275-0307ddac-b4bc-466a-865a-dfaa82e21fe3

they are REDUCING homelessness in Houston we can too. 

https://www.homelesshouston.org/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

this is great new coffee shop from  London  to benefit homeless opening in Charlotte.  First location in USA! 

https://charlotte.axios.com/317352/new-innovation-barn-coffee-shop-will-support-homeless-mothers/

https://changeplease.org/pages/change-please-locations

Another location will be in the Platform that at least from the exterior looks to be wrapping up just north of South/Clanton

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

from the Biz Journal this morning:

""A $4.2 million purchase of two motels, just off Interstate 85 at Sugar Creek Road, is among the notable items on Charlotte City Council's agenda for its business meeting this evening.

The Economy Inn and Budget Inn motels at 5350 and 5342 Reagan Drive, respectively, would be torn down to make way for redevelopment. Reducing the number of hotel rooms at that exit off I-85 is a bid to reduce crime in the area, according to the agenda.

"It seems to be a destination place for prostitution, drug-related activity," Steven Brochu, deputy chief with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, told WFAE-FM of the Economy motel. "We have assaults. We have some violent crime that occurs there."

If the purchase is approved, that report notes, the city would work with Crisis Assistance Ministry to house and provide other supportive services for long-term residents of the motels.

Residents of the nearby Hidden Valley neighborhood are hopeful about the city's effort, according to a QCity Metro report.

The site lies within one of the city's Corridors of Opportunity, six designated areas that historically have struggled with a lack of investment.""

>>>why not turn these motels into in SRO Housing single room occupancy? They all have full baths and could be studios with a microwave and little fridge  and make the commons areas of the old motel a communal full size kitchen for residents.    Like this on N Davidson https://supportivehousingcommunities.org/mccreesh/

I just think bulldozing them as the city is talking about is a waste when there is a need for housing in this community of all types.   I know someone proposed this a long time ago for these specific motels.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from the Biz Journal this morning:

""A $4.2 million purchase of two motels, just off Interstate 85 at Sugar Creek Road, is among the notable items on Charlotte City Council's agenda for its business meeting this evening.

The Economy Inn and Budget Inn motels at 5350 and 5342 Reagan Drive, respectively, would be torn down to make way for redevelopment. Reducing the number of hotel rooms at that exit off I-85 is a bid to reduce crime in the area, according to the agenda.

"It seems to be a destination place for prostitution, drug-related activity," Steven Brochu, deputy chief with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, told WFAE-FM of the Economy motel. "We have assaults. We have some violent crime that occurs there."

If the purchase is approved, that report notes, the city would work with Crisis Assistance Ministry to house and provide other supportive services for long-term residents of the motels.

Residents of the nearby Hidden Valley neighborhood are hopeful about the city's effort, according to a QCity Metro report.

The site lies within one of the city's Corridors of Opportunity, six designated areas that historically have struggled with a lack of investment.""

>>>why not turn these motels into in SRO Housing single room occupancy? They all have full baths and could be studios with a microwave and little fridge  and make the commons areas of the old motel a communal full size kitchen for residents.    Like this on N Davidson https://supportivehousingcommunities.org/mccreesh/

I just think bulldozing them as the city is talking about is a waste when there is a need for housing in this community of all types.   I know someone proposed this a long time ago for these specific motels.  

this was approved by city council last night but I wish they would consider a housing project here using these motels instead of just knocking them down.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Those motels aren’t fit nor a good use for homeless populations IMO. The location is awful, access to transit isn’t great, it’s not a convenient area without a vehicle and it’s not properly set up to accommodate different services which just makes it a not so positive environment for homeless populations (and thus the surrounding community) 

Any homeless institution should not only be relatively nice but most importantly needs permanent offices with social workers, etc. that cater specific to certain homeless populations. Whether it’s chronically homeless youth, women, veterans, mentally ill populations, etc 

I say Tear those nasty motels down. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

this is good news in the sense we have a lower homelessness rate however does not mean there is not a problem in Charlotte and in places like Concord.  We need to continue to work on this and I think Charlotte is doing better than in the past. 

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/report-atl-lowest-homeless-rate-among-american-cities?

I would note Houston which has really good programs to get people off the streets. 

California cities  and west coast cities dominate the list of the worst cities per capita.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just back from a drive though Gastonia on the boulevard. I was genuinely surprised by the number of homeless people I saw scattered across the strip (without any noticeable clusters). This was around 10am on a Friday. I am surprised the problem of homelessness has become large enough to now be clearly visible in Gastonia (which arguably has the lowest housing costs of any metro county).

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

Just back from a drive though Gastonia on the boulevard. I was genuinely surprised by the number of homeless people I saw scattered across the strip (without any noticeable clusters). I am surprised the problem of homelessness has become large enough to now be clearly visible in Gastonia (which arguably has the lowest housing costs of any metro county).

We're experiencing it in our little vacation town of Hood River, Oregon now too. Population 7k.   Wonder if you investigated this problem in London any. There really doesn't seem to be much here. Granted much of the housing looks pretty lean, especially in places I dare not venture,  but one still doesn't see the tent cities and panhandlers. I've seen a volunteer group approach a homeless guy here in Kingston but other than that and a few posters here and there about helping each other, there aren't any tents under bridges, nor crazy people coming up to you.  There's something to be learned here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...