Sign in to follow this  
Phillydog

I-885

I-885 may be a game changer for development in the Northern Triangle and north Durham.  I-885 will put southern Granville County  (Butner) 10 non-stop miles from RTP and 15 from RDU.    The Northgate area will be just 5 miles from RTP.   Even downtown Raleigh will be more "closer" in travel time for I-85 travelers coming from Granville County not having to use NC50 or US 70 or navigate downtown Durham.    Points north of Granville, including  VA and DC may be easier to access downtown Raleigh, Cary, etc. via I-885 than US1.  (46 miles via US1 to downtown Raleigh with 20 miles of stop lights vs. 60 miles via 85/885 with no stoplights = faster travel time?).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

here is the official interstate guide.  so I-885 will be tagged from I-85 to I-40?

Interstate 885 North Carolina - Interstate-Guide.com (interstate-guide.com)

Yes, I-885 will be signed at the I-85/US 70 interchange in west Durham and the I-40/NC 147 interchange in south Durham. Here’s an in depth write up on it.

https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut885.html

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 3

The longest shortest road project in world history.  1.25 miles under construction for 6 years now.   Fortunately, we hope, widening what is currently 147 to I-40 and from the 85/885 interchange to Granville won't take 20 years.  Both road segments, especially the 147, are already close to or past design volumes.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

I still can't find a good map of I-885 from 85 to 40.    Also I recall it would be 'toll road 885' for the segment 147 from south of 40 to 540.

• Like 1

this might help

or this

Future I-885 / Durham East End Connector (malmeroads.net)

from what I understand it will be flagged I-885 from I-85 to I-40 not sure if it will be south of that where NC 147 turns into the toll road. 

NCDOT: East End Connector - Project Highlights

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, KJHburg said:

this might help

or this

Future I-885 / Durham East End Connector (malmeroads.net)

from what I understand it will be flagged I-885 from I-85 to I-40 not sure if it will be south of that where NC 147 turns into the toll road. 

NCDOT: East End Connector - Project Highlights

147 south of the 40.  147 will "share" the 885 until it splits to go downtown while the 885 continues north to the existing 85 north to Butner and Virginia

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

If you go to his NCDOT link, scroll until you see project maps. Select it. The only available link you can then choose is "east end connector map." It's as good as any map that I've seen for the project.

This is one I had seen awhile back. This is the only depiction I've seen of I-885 (in red).

image.png.f0e6d43441d8596c64eab563c5bc23f3.png

Also confirmed that the 147 south of I-40 will also change to 885, but as a state route:

"The Triangle Expressway portion of Toll NC 147 south of I-40 will be renumbered as NC 885."

5 hours ago, rolly said:

@KJHburg I've been through those links, but thanks for posting. Note the absolute lack of a map of the project. Crazy!

It's worth repeating...  Planning for this started in the 1950s.  A 1.25 mile -- that's 1 POINT 25 or 6600 FEET --  has been under construction for SIX YEARS and it's STILL not opened.  The entire southern loop of the 540 will be completed in less time.  When people point their fingers at Raleigh and think "if it doesn't benefit Raleigh directly it's not a priority", this project is one of the poster children.  

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1