I-885

Richhamleigh, DC

I actually saw I-885 sign on NC 147 south of the new interchange and connector so I will now claim I have been on I-885.  Not sure if the cover fell off but it is there.  No photo as it came up quick right before Ellis Rd exit heading southbound towards I-40. 

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly, the verrry last step is to complete demolition of the temporary RR bridge over US 70. Here it was on 3/18; as you can see, it has many more columns than the new bridge behind it and therefore doesn't leave room for the exiting lanes:

1X7yYyEJPG9Udg8eLrLM0AFZbtmduoupW7gD845Vt68fAIJPOn1Ys8ejBtS2d6ukCf9TvKoyGJhxOvuDQiK-HVL2Fz20Qsoj3dotmniWtoBHcZAgLYLb36aO23MrFEGePxkjah5C6FxgqIVKbD8jZHka-Xe1DCUzDLuRCP-k98vHUr-jGqe-LHlOpqTmvqPl3unhjd9_98Fh4Jc5Biy7dxgrOQGbFaLFl1BOW8ooyFPotxA8MLVyjp_1DL_iBQTBzuzlYWGHLkkq89nZBkVl5cQhFgHm8Y69ych749tX8qRIZy1qKEMg0mube-u-BG9-fPHbHGOazQn23ouZXn3GqE8xZnV9dFsLmtNsFjABziuYwcXlcpQm_QYDw79AsQScHA2r-xfCaqTRYCCzDxOyixyfH5T-5cvo_tZsAxsvcWl_liUkI-9csy7v41EfDM1n71hQQEHR2F3y9O0u9FK6QyoOk0hW7fzMAFSXz_g_Dm02yUfYxjaDmNEXruaAJDOBB5Pn7I1QllnaV3Yd1vRoL98_RHC4IkCH51XCA0XsdgffC-S20voQaiDGzjGzG8p3R0unnD33JthvmwG8DOy28__7unyccu7jcxpg8od1RJ3kLg0SPINNwVWxt-zZla8T6qsikmnFSTvfbtdUxsBeYS4_o1JJjnOvZmUqeZLuP39-A0MxCsoCivXaAfKWjKn2o_GTr2KzSwpGqPKKVw5Gpp_gRF7gRrdOY_DqdihAWOJ73dA2gdgUuXjGwfi1BqAy6Gv222KJ0omswCLiEgN3jW4Q7X8_Zoy3fg=w1171-h878-no?authuser=0

Ofc, this road was first proposed in the 1960s and the construction contract was awarded in Feb 2015. "Spring 2022" is still the supposed opening.

Once this is done, there's much less of a case for maintaining NC-147 through downtown Durham as a grade-separated expressway. Durham, like Raleigh, could have a beltway instead of a destructive downtown freeway.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drive on it every day twice a day on my route from Midtown Raleigh to Downtown Durham. Gotta say I am not a fan at all of how traffic flowing into DTD on 885NB has to merge to the left twice to get on 147, and vice versa for traffic flowing out of DTD on 147SB. Then again, I just strongly dislike that road anyway. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

I drive on it every day twice a day on my route from Midtown Raleigh to Downtown Durham. Gotta say I am not a fan at all of how traffic flowing into DTD on 885NB has to merge to the left twice to get on 147, and vice versa for traffic flowing out of DTD on 147SB. Then again, I just strongly dislike that road anyway. 

Left lane exits are stupid.  Very uncommon, plus far too many people already camp out in the left lane which unnecessarily clogs up traffic.  They did this with the Asheboro bypass as well (on the east side).

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Y'all talk about this highway so long I had to drive it and the time was today.  I know it took a long time but I did see the large bridge over the railroad yard which complicates things.  But anyway it is open now and ease commutes from RTP to Oxford and further north.    So quick from RTP to I-85! 

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6000.JPG

• Like 4