United Community Bank Corporate HQ project.

gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Seven stories tall total. Five stories of office space with a two level parking garage at bottom. Definitely fits in with the cost. No surprise there. Yay for another boring midrise. How long until the media calls it a tower? Disappointed to say the least. :( 

We tried to help temper your excitement!:D

Honestly,  with the money, its more than I expected.  24.8 mm just doesn't get you much these days when it comes to buildings. At least this won't overwhelm the Bohemian. Hopefully it won't just be a modern shoebox!

16 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

We tried to help temper your excitement!:D

Honestly,  with the money, its more than I expected.  24.8 mm just doesn't get you much these days when it comes to buildings. At least this won't overwhelm the Bohemian. Hopefully it won't just be a modern shoebox!

MPS did at least do the old Palmetto Bank building. I wouldn't mind them keeping the same language as that. It would work well with the Grand Bohemian. 

• Like 1

90,000-100,000 square feet and able to hold 325 workers. Architectural drawings not quite finished yet. Construction slated to start in early 2022 with completion slated for early 2024. Location chosen due to visibility on the hill and proximity to Falls Park. People currently working at ONE and the old Palmetto Bank building will be moving while the 150 people currently working at the old Erwin Penland will remain there. 

Edited by gman430

12 minutes ago, gman430 said:

90,000-100,000 square feet and able to hold 325 workers. Architectural drawings not quite finished yet. Construction slated to start in early 2022 with completion slated for early 2024. People currently working at ONE and the old Palmetto Bank building will be moving while the 150 people currently working at the old Erwin Penland will remain there. 

Interesting. I don't understand the maintaining of multiple locations when you have the opportunity to consolidate your workforce. Shrug.

4 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Interesting. I don't understand the maintaining of multiple locations when you have the opportunity to consolidate your workforce. Shrug.

Yeah, I don’t really understand it either. At least it will help keep the office vacancy rate from going even higher. The people that work in the old EP building are mortgage, consumer credit, loan and audit operations. 

How long have they been in the EP building?  Not too long, I assume. They probably still have several years  left on the lease there.  They also probably don't want to build too much space in one building. Less risk that way, if they want to sell it.  As far as growth goes, they might simply build more space across Camperdown.  That big parcel is going to be developed one day.  

It will be interesting to see what moves into the E. North building once it is vacant. It is a very prominent location and a nice building. 

As others have mentioned before. 30 million wasn't going to get you a 20 story building. Let's just be glad that our area is seeing growth the way it is. I must say. We are a spoiled bunch of people in this area. Lol. First world problems. Think of the places that would love to have what's going on in this area.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Maybe I’m the only one that’s not about to jump, but a 7 story building on that site is going to look huge. UCB is not really a big enough bank at the moment to warrant a 20 story tower. Another would need to be involved to fill the rest and filling up other office space or building out spec would take a whole lot of time, money, talent, and luck. This is good density, cheer up you sad sacks.

I think one thing Greenville has working against it is that so much dirt is controlled by a few local players that either don’t want to get anyone else involved or are happy to cash checks from parking income. Hopefully this helps the space across the street to change hands before too long.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spero said:

Maybe I’m the only one that’s not about to jump, but a 7 story building on that site is going to look huge. UCB is not really a big enough bank at the moment to warrant a 20 story tower. Another would need to be involved to fill the rest and filling up other office space or building out spec would take a whole lot of time, money, talent, and luck. This is good density, cheer up you sad sacks.

I think one thing Greenville has working against it is that so much dirt is controlled by a few local players that either don’t want to get anyone else involved or are happy to cash checks from parking income. Hopefully this helps the space across the street to change hands before too long.

I'm more upset about the layout of thr building which wastes a quarter of the lot.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, GvilleSC said:

I certainly welcome more development down by the Grand Bohemian. However, I can't help but also think that UCB could have been a great first non-government office tenant for the County Square redevelopment. Granted, the timelines aren't aligned. 

Prolly didn’t want to wait 8-10 years. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Billbq said:

Wyche was going to build a new office at the Commons but backed out and decided to lease the old Elliot Davis space on broad 

Interesting. Well, I think they made a good decision.

And, welcome to the forum! I hope you hang around and add to the discussions! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is a bit frustrating.

I love the decision to bring hundreds of new jobs into the urban center of the Upstate region, and I love the fact that they plan to replace a bland and aging structure with a brand new corporate office building.

HOWEVER, the position of the new building is strange because it will sit away from its primary street frontage and simultaneously will destroy the most attractive portion of the property -- the trees along Falls Street overlooking the park below.  The building design itself appears to be as expected, a 4-6 floor bland glass box.

I would greatly prefer the new building's placement directly adjacent to the sidewalk, similar to the current building.  This is why I was so vocal in opposing the lack of retail space under Camperdown along Falls Street.  Developers seem to think nobody has interest in walking/dining/shopping along that street, but I have seen lots of pedestrians in that area and believe Falls Street has (or had) the potential to become a very attractive retail district.  Unfortunately these new developments will extend the feeling that this area, which is literally a block from Main Street and Falls Park on the Reedy, is only useful for parking and/or passing through on our way to other attractions.

• Like 3