Jump to content

United Community Bank Corporate HQ project.


Recommended Posts

On 4/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, Joey_Blackdogg said:

This was predictable because the pizza was bad. 

Fair enough, but not predictable until after the product had been introduced to consumers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shrewd investment, in my opinion. Grand Bohemian and UCB-HQ will be the anchor and model for development of the area contained by Calvin St, Broad St., Falls St., and Camperdown Way.  Burying pow

Be careful; you could incur the wrath of certain individuals who wouldn't tolerate such a comparison to "lowly Greenville."

As others have mentioned before. 30 million wasn't going to get you a 20 story building. Let's just be glad that our area is seeing growth the way it is. I must say. We are a spoiled bunch of people i

Posted Images

Staff finds that the site plan is not compliant with Design Guideline PUB 1.7. This guideline details that two-way entrances should have a maximum curb cut width of 25 ft. The site entrance is currently designed as a three-lane with an approximate width of 37 ft. Staff finds that this entrance should be reduced to a two-lane width entry in order to promote pedestrian safety and encourage reduction of automobile speeds.
Staff also finds that the proposed sidewalk, extending from the building entrance to the Cleveland Street bridge, should be improved to include a 6-foot wide sidewalk with a 5-foot wide green strip, located between the sidewalk and the curb, in order to comply with Guidelines PUB 2.2 and 3.3. The street trees wells should also be continued along this section to promote pedestrian activation and safety.
The service area will be located off Falls Street directly across from the service area for the Grand Bohemian Hotel. Underground waste storage will be utilized instead of dumpsters.


Summary
Staff is supportive of the project and finds that the site plan generally complies with the applicable Downtown Design Guidelines. However, given this is for site plan approval only, elements of the architecture may indicate the need for modifications of the site plan in order to comply with applicable Downtown Design Guidelines.
Staff Recommendation
Staff recommends approval of the site plan with the following staff comments and conditions:
1. Site plan approval is contingent upon building architecture approval. The DRB maintains the right to require minor site plan modifications stemming from the review of the building. 
2. Reduction of the parking entrance from a 3-lane, 37 ft width entry to a 2-lane, 25 ft entry to comply with Guideline PUB 1.7.
3. The three side-by-side handicap spaces shall be revised in order to come into compliance with building code requirements.
4. The sidewalk, extending from the parking lot entrance to the Cleveland Street bridge, shall be reconstructed to have at least a 6-foot-wide sidewalk and 5-foot- wide landscaped green strip between the sidewalk and curb.
5. All appropriate ADA required accessibility materials shall be provided including truncated domes at pedestrian crossings and handicap space entries.
6. All changes per conditions shall be included within the design documents of the architecture application.
7. A traffic analysis form is required to be completed and submitted to Traffic Engineering.
8. This certificate of appropriateness (CA) is considered a specific site development plan. As such, the CA issued for this project shall be subject to Land Management Ordinance Section 19-2.2.14 Lapse of approval/vested rights and the Vested Rights Act, Article 11, of Chapter 29, Title 6, of the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976 (S.C. Code §§ 6-29-1510 et seq.). The CA shall be valid for a period of two years from the date of approval by the Board. The Vested Right shall be granted up to five annual extensions upon a written request for an extension must be received by the applicant at least sixty (60) days before expiration, unless any change or amendment to the land development ordinance or regulations of the City of Greenville’s Code of Ordinances were to be amended that would no longer allow execution of the site specific development plan. At any time during the two-year period or any subsequent Vested Rights extensions, the applicant may be granted a building permit from the City Building Official. Should the CA expire at any time prior to the application for a building permit, such permit shall not be issued until a current CA is provided.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 4:26 PM, gman430 said:

Staff finds that the site plan is not compliant with Design Guideline PUB 1.7. This guideline details that two-way entrances should have a maximum curb cut width of 25 ft. The site entrance is currently designed as a three-lane with an approximate width of 37 ft. Staff finds that this entrance should be reduced to a two-lane width entry in order to promote pedestrian safety and encourage reduction of automobile speeds.
Staff also finds that the proposed sidewalk, extending from the building entrance to the Cleveland Street bridge, should be improved to include a 6-foot wide sidewalk with a 5-foot wide green strip, located between the sidewalk and the curb, in order to comply with Guidelines PUB 2.2 and 3.3. The street trees wells should also be continued along this section to promote pedestrian activation and safety.
The service area will be located off Falls Street directly across from the service area for the Grand Bohemian Hotel. Underground waste storage will be utilized instead of dumpsters.


Summary
Staff is supportive of the project and finds that the site plan generally complies with the applicable Downtown Design Guidelines. However, given this is for site plan approval only, elements of the architecture may indicate the need for modifications of the site plan in order to comply with applicable Downtown Design Guidelines.
Staff Recommendation
Staff recommends approval of the site plan with the following staff comments and conditions:
1. Site plan approval is contingent upon building architecture approval. The DRB maintains the right to require minor site plan modifications stemming from the review of the building. 
2. Reduction of the parking entrance from a 3-lane, 37 ft width entry to a 2-lane, 25 ft entry to comply with Guideline PUB 1.7.
3. The three side-by-side handicap spaces shall be revised in order to come into compliance with building code requirements.
4. The sidewalk, extending from the parking lot entrance to the Cleveland Street bridge, shall be reconstructed to have at least a 6-foot-wide sidewalk and 5-foot- wide landscaped green strip between the sidewalk and curb.
5. All appropriate ADA required accessibility materials shall be provided including truncated domes at pedestrian crossings and handicap space entries.
6. All changes per conditions shall be included within the design documents of the architecture application.
7. A traffic analysis form is required to be completed and submitted to Traffic Engineering.
8. This certificate of appropriateness (CA) is considered a specific site development plan. As such, the CA issued for this project shall be subject to Land Management Ordinance Section 19-2.2.14 Lapse of approval/vested rights and the Vested Rights Act, Article 11, of Chapter 29, Title 6, of the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976 (S.C. Code §§ 6-29-1510 et seq.). The CA shall be valid for a period of two years from the date of approval by the Board. The Vested Right shall be granted up to five annual extensions upon a written request for an extension must be received by the applicant at least sixty (60) days before expiration, unless any change or amendment to the land development ordinance or regulations of the City of Greenville’s Code of Ordinances were to be amended that would no longer allow execution of the site specific development plan. At any time during the two-year period or any subsequent Vested Rights extensions, the applicant may be granted a building permit from the City Building Official. Should the CA expire at any time prior to the application for a building permit, such permit shall not be issued until a current CA is provided.

But nothing about the trees :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

You'd prefer they were taken down?

Are you referring to the trees on the hillsides? If so, it looks like all of them are going to remain going off the site plan on the DRB agenda. The site plan matches up very closely to what Wyche currently has on site in terms of what is going to be building and parking vs landscaping. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Are you referring to the trees on the hillsides? If so, it looks like all of them are going to remain going off the site plan on the DRB agenda. The site plan matches up very closely to what Wyche currently has on site in terms of what is going to be building and parking vs landscaping. 

Sorry, @gman430, I was going off a comment earlier in the thread where @Skylinermentioned that the building's position would impact the trees along Falls St. I assumed that meant the trees along the hillside. Thanks for the clarification. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, cabelagent said:

Yes they did....remember it was dormant for a while until something was decided....we know where that led to now.  :(

I cant drive by this waste of space and not get angry.   I cant wait until someone decides to demolish 98 E McBee . 

Edited by gvegascple
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I like it at least when it comes to the architecture design of the building: http://greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/8672?fileID=44552 Hate the height and site layout though. Blah. With them expanding rapidly, why not just make it 15 stories and call it a day? :D 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this project. It will fit in well with the landscape of that area. "United Community Bank HQ details roll out as Greenville considers infrastructure funds." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/united-community-bank-hq-details-roll-out-as-greenville-considers-infrastructure-funds/article_14b84d2e-05d8-11ec-9afe-9f86d61f4b3e.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gman said:

I like this project. It will fit in well with the landscape of that area. "United Community Bank HQ details roll out as Greenville considers infrastructure funds." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/united-community-bank-hq-details-roll-out-as-greenville-considers-infrastructure-funds/article_14b84d2e-05d8-11ec-9afe-9f86d61f4b3e.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

"UCB earlier this year announced it would move its corporate headquarters to a seven story office tower..."

:rofl:

P&C writers copying G-news writers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

"UCB earlier this year announced it would move its corporate headquarters to a seven story office tower..."

:rofl:

P&C writers copying G-news writers?

No. P&C has had several articles about this project. It's the G-News that stays a day or two behind on everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gman said:

No. P&C has had several articles about this project. It's the G-News that stays a day or two behind on everything. 

I'm just taking a jab at the "seven story tower" part - only in Greenville is a 7 story building called a "tower", even when it is wider than it is tall. G-news even does that with 5 story buildings!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gman said:

I like this project. It will fit in well with the landscape of that area. "United Community Bank HQ details roll out as Greenville considers infrastructure funds." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/united-community-bank-hq-details-roll-out-as-greenville-considers-infrastructure-funds/article_14b84d2e-05d8-11ec-9afe-9f86d61f4b3e.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Meh. Another boring midrise to go all along with all of the boring midrises downtown. Not even worth taking drone shots of it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at this site again today. It  does not warrant a tall building. It's a beautiful piece of land, surrounded by trees, and is near the park and the river. The size is perfect. Put the 30 story building somewhere else.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.