United Community Bank Corporate HQ project.

gman430

37 minutes ago, gman said:

I looked at this site again today. It  does not warrant a tall building. It's a beautiful piece of land, surrounded by trees, and is near the park and the river. The size is perfect. Put the 30 story building somewhere else.  

You’re right. The 30 story building should go somewhere else. They should put a 45 story building on this site instead. :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/sneak-peek-united-community-banks-downtown-greenville-headquarters/

Goes to DRB 9/2. I wish the DRB would push for something more creative and something to break up that glass shoebox portion but I'm not holding my breath.

The DRB is recommending approval of this and the SunCap project in the West End. Both developers met with members of the DRB over the past few months to develop their plans so they could pass more easily come meeting time.  In other words, you can thank the DRB for the design of both of these projects. 

Edited by gman430

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

The DRB is recommending approval of this and the SunCap project in the West End. Both developers met with members of the DRB over the past few months to develop their plans so they could pass more easily come meeting time.  In other words, you can thank the DRB for the design of both of these projects. 

Well it wouldn't surprise me; there are so many things they approve that are beyond cringe-worthy...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 3:09 PM, rancenc said:

Edit.

Edited by GVLover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

New visualization released showing UCB HQ from within Falls Park. Source: Post and Courier. Falls Park is certainly starting to feel more urban. I hope the details of the UCB building turn out nicer than the quality of this image. 

image.png.e394377e7dcef5734e0c7a09091ba3ce.png

The building is bland but I do like the feeling that Falls Park is becoming more of an Oasis in the middle of downtown. Just a cool vibe. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

The building is bland but I do like the feeling that Falls Park is becoming more of an Oasis in the middle of downtown. Just a cool vibe. 

I agree, I like seeing the buildings mixed with the natural beauty of the park.  I do expect to see people freaking out on social media over this though...:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is interesting .  This was COUNTY council. Greenville City Council voted on Monday on the same item and approved it. The prior readings by County Council were unanimous, which makes this all the more unusual.   There seems to be a lot of division on County Council currently.  The discussions were quite heated according to other reporting.   

image.thumb.png.a60cae97a1f011dc5832bb1c04b021f0.png

The article I read mentioned that UCB was going to build a parking garage on the site? If that's the case, then the City needs to interject and steer them in the right direction. Assuming here, but a bank seems more likely to construct a single use structure, which is the last thing we need in this re-energized section of downtown. At least surface parking is temporary (in comparison to a structure) due to investment cost. 

IF it truly is for parking, the best option would be for a city-funded garage to be constructed with the foresight of future development, and to open up the current "Bowater" garage to be redeveloped into something more active along the river. 

EDIT:  It appears that the initial article was amended and the parking garage language removed. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

So the bank wanted tax incentives for a parking lot? :rofl: What’s next? Tax incentives for some grass and bushes? The county was right to deny it. 

I don't know that CURRENT taxes would be affected by this or not. I would tend to think not, only that NEW construction on the site would get the tax break. As I mentioned before when they bought the land, there is no way that paid that much just for a surface lot.  Obviously there are long term plans for this site,  which are not public and are likely still being formulated. 

The city would never sign off on this tax break if it meant this large and very key parcel was not going to be developed.     

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I don't know that CURRENT taxes would be affected by this or not. I would tend to think not, only that NEW construction on the site would get the tax break. As I mentioned before when they bought the land, there is no way that paid that much just for a surface lot.  Obviously there are long term plans for this site,  which are not public and are likely still being formulated. 

The city would never sign off on this tax break if it meant this large and very key parcel was not going to be developed.     

If it doesn’t involve at least a 20 story office building I don’t want it.