United Community Bank Corporate HQ project.

gman430

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

If it doesn’t involve at least a 20 story office building I don’t want it. 

If you had asked me in 1995 or 2000 when I would predict Greenville would get a 20 story building I would have guessed within about 10 years; Greenville was already growing healthy then. I would probably have predicted 2 or 3 by the year 2020, and it looked like it might happen when all those taller buildings were announced before the recession. I still remain amazed that not one has been built since the recession but developers continue to want to spread out rather than up. At this point I have no idea when to predict another 20 story building or even a new tallest for Greenville but I'll bet its still decades away unless something like a major HQ decides to relocate. I kept thinking one of these condo/apt developers would go that route but they all go with the sprawling 8-10 story buildings so... maybe the convention center hotel?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Soil core drilling for soil sampling occurring today on parking lot site next to the building at 101 East Camperdown Way. Why would they need to do that for a new parking lot? Hmmm…

Soil core drilling, paying $6.3 million for the land, and tax incentives for a parking lot??? :whistling::ph34r:

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Soil core drilling for soil sampling occurring today on parking lot site next to the building at 101 East Camperdown Way. Why would they need to do that for a new parking lot? Hmmm…

Soil core drilling, paying $6.3 million for the land, and tax incentives for a parking lot??? :whistling::ph34r:

So….what’s gonna happen?  :dontknow:

Edited by cabelagent

https://greenvillesc.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2690

Harper General Contractors plans to start blasting rock at the new United Community Bank headquarters site as early as Wednesday, March 23.

The site is the former Wyche building at 200 East Camperdown Way.

The current plan is two blasts per day at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. for the next three to four weeks.

Harper General Contractors is notifying neighbors within 1,000 feet of the jobsite of the blasting schedule.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 5:50 AM, GvilleSC said:

What a change! 

Quote from the Greenville Journal article on this 'change of heart'. 

"Tzouvelekas said that after the meeting that the measure initially fell victim to dissensions among council members that had nothing to do with the project or the bank." 

Can't say I'm surprised but inexcusable nevertheless.   The next time these members are up for re-election, let's make better choices: Stan Tzouvelekas (District 22), Mike Barnes(District 18) , Steve Shaw(District 20), Ennis Fant (District 25), Xanthene Norris (District 23), Chairman Willis Meadows(District 19).

Norris and Meadows are up for re-election THIS year.  Candidate filing is underway now and closes March 30th.  

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, vicupstate said:

Quote from the Greenville Journal article on this 'change of heart'. 

Can't say I'm surprised but inexcusable nevertheless.   The next time these members are up for re-election, let's make better choices: Stan Tzouvelekas (District 22), Mike Barnes(District 18) , Steve Shaw(District 20), Ennis Fant (District 25), Xanthene Norris (District 23), Chairman Willis Meadows(District 19).

Norris and Meadows are up for re-election THIS year.  Candidate filing is underway now and closes March 30th.  

With all of the growth downtown, I can’t imagine that Xanthene is safe in her seat without some sort of redistricting to protect her. 

14 hours ago, gman430 said:

How are any of these county council members still alive? They all look over the age of 90. Get some young people in there. These old peoples future don’t matter. 

Age has nothing to do with it. Western NC has a congressman that is barely old enough to qualify to serve in the US House. He is a complete embarrassment to himself, his state and nation.    Joe Riley was 32 when he became Mayor of Charleston but served until he was 72.  Do you think he was a better mayor on day one or after he had already transformed a sleepy southern port city into an internationally known destination? 

Some of the council members that supported the UCB project all along are just as old as the ones that flipped. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Age has nothing to do with it. Western NC has a congressman that is barely old enough to qualify to serve in the US House. He is a complete embarrassment to himself, his state and nation.    Joe Riley was 32 when he became Mayor of Charleston but served until he was 72.  Do you think he was a better mayor on day one or after he had already transformed a sleepy southern port city into an internationally known destination? 

Some of the council members that supported the UCB project all along are just as old as the ones that flipped. 

I sorta agree with g. Need more age diversity, and I actually know one of council personally. We've worked together on different things. Be that as it may, I think his time is up. 

^^ You're not going to get many people to run that are younger than 40, if not 45.  These jobs don't pay jack and require more time than most people realize. Some one that is still building their business or career is not likely to run, unless they are from a  wealthy family.  If they do, they are probably just  using it as a stepping stone to a higher office.   

Age has nothing to do with anything. If they are doing a good job, then keep them, if not, get rid of them. Young and dumb is not a qualification. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

^^ You're not going to get many people to run that are younger than 40, if not 45.  These jobs don't pay jack and require more time than most people realize. Some one that is still building their business or career is not likely to run, unless they are from a  wealthy family.  If they do, they are probably just  using it as a stepping stone to a higher office.   

Age has nothing to do with anything. If they are doing a good job, then keep them, if not, get rid of them. Young and dumb is not a qualification. 

These folks aren't in the 40s though. They're old and stuck in their ways. That's the issue. The person I know is one of the younger ones and he's about 60. Old doesn't always equate to smart. More so just no one can change your mind.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

These folks aren't in the 40s though. They're old and stuck in their ways. That's the issue. The person I know is one of the younger ones and he's about 60. Old doesn't always equate to smart. More so just no one can change your mind.

Butch Kirven was chairman for several years, which is not he norm.  He was chairman much longer than most. He pulled off the County Square deal, which was easily the biggest and most complicated thing the county has done in  many years. This year Willis Meadows is chairman and he is clearly in over his head. I don't know their ages, but they can't be that far apart in age.  It is about competence, experience, vision and leadership ability.  Some people have it at a relatively young age, some people acquire it over time, and others never acquire it.  It has nothing to do with age.

• Like 1

It has everything to do with age. Why let people with dementia who don’t even know what day of the week it is half of the time run the show? Like I said, their future doesn’t even matter so why are they there making decisions? 

Like somebody famous once said…

there are two things people over the age of 70 should not be allowed to do: drive a car and be a politician. 

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Butch Kirven was chairman for several years, which is not he norm.  He was chairman much longer than most. He pulled off the County Square deal, which was easily the biggest and most complicated thing the county has done in  many years. This year Willis Meadows is chairman and he is clearly in over his head. I don't know their ages, but they can't be that far apart in age.  It is about competence, experience, vision and leadership ability.  Some people have it at a relatively young age, some people acquire it over time, and others never acquire it.  It has nothing to do with age.

Absolutely. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

It has everything to do with age. Why let people with dementia who don’t even know what day of the week it is half of the time run the show? Like I said, their future doesn’t even matter so why are they there making decisions? 

Like somebody famous once said…

there are two things people over the age of 70 should not be allowed to do: drive a car and be a politician. 

Dementia is not what we are talking about here.  It is just as disrespectful and wrong to judge someone based on their older age as it is to do so on youth.  Many of the members that voted FOR the proposal the whole time, are in the same age group as the ones that didn't.  This was not about being set in your ways either. It was about being vindictive and letting that cloud better judgement. That is not an respecter of age.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Dementia is not what we are talking about here.  It is just as disrespectful and wrong to judge someone based on their older age as it is to do so on youth.  Many of the members that voted FOR the proposal the whole time, are in the same age group as the ones that didn't.  This was not about being set in your ways either. It was about being vindictive and letting that cloud better judgement. That is not an respecter of age.   

And being vindictive is not what I would call mature. Older folks are supposed to be mature correct?